Are u a true artist if u stop rapping after your commercial career doesnt work out??

Options
UPTOWN
UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
edited September 2011 in The Reason
a couple different things made me think of this topic

but i wanna hear some different ppl speak on it and use my view point thru out the discussion

ill give a brief example but i dont want this to define the thread .... take canibus ... he still drops music etc etc ... now take LL .... he aint doing ? now that he stopped selling LOL

now im not gonna say who i think is right or wrong or what have you at this point ... and no this is not a canibus vs LL thread .. i can give a million examples of this

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Canibus cant make a song for ? but he still puts out albums and still has a small fanbase still in the game after 98....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Rapping=a job...one that you usually need the financial backing of others to keep doing...or at the very least turn a profit so you can continue to produce and put out music...it makes no sense to keep rapping if nobody is buying your ? ...you would go broke paying for studio time, producers, actually putting out your music...that ? cost money
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Rapping=a job...one that you usually need the financial backing of others to keep doing...or at the very least turn a profit so you can continue to produce and put out music...it makes no sense to keep rapping if nobody is buying your ? ...you would go broke paying for studio time, producers, actually putting out your music...that ? cost money

Then how you explain countless of underground or indy cats dropping albums every year without selling units????????
  • salamerican1
    salamerican1 Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

That's why you sell ?
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    People who have a passion for there craft will never stop making music or dropping albums.

KRS One has been dropping an album every year for the past two decades and even tho' they don't sell very well he still drops them regardless.

I give LL a pass because he has dropped twice as many albums as most artists in the game, and his label situation at Def Jam and his disagreements with JayZ kinda put a halt to his recording career.

People have to feed their families so once your commercial career fizzles you may need to find other means of income to support your seeds.

Seems like Hollywood is the transition for rappers after their commercial careers have faltered.
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Then how you explain countless of underground or indy cats dropping albums every year without selling units????????

touring, doing shows, and some just going into debt hoping for a big enough break to support themselves doing what they love...if rap is your FULL TIME JOB and you're not selling records or performing on a regular basis, you have no income...and how many of those indy cats stay around for 5-10 years selling no records? never performing?
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Short answer, no.

Long answer, if you feel like rap is strictly a job, get out the game NOW. Only a select few have the success people dream of. There's a graveyard full of ? thinkin they can get in the game and milk it dry. There are people who rap cuz they love it, cuz it's part of their culture... the success will come eventually, if not from that, from other ventures.
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    yes, rapping isnt cheap, and its way too easy to get in over your head financially. any rapper that isnt at least breaking even should hang it up.

but with that said, rappers very seldom stop rapping, they just stop putting out songs. i remember camron was saying that while he was "missing" and not putting out music, he was still always freestyling in his car.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    how do we know ll stopped rapping b/c he wasn't selling? did he say that. or is he just getting that acting money. i can see ll making an album just b/c. just like cube can make his movies or whatever but he can go indy and drop his album when he's ready.
  • Lab Baby
    edited September 2011
    Options
    touring, doing shows, and some just going into debt hoping for a big enough break to support themselves doing what they love...if rap is your FULL TIME JOB and you're not selling records or performing on a regular basis, you have no income...and how many of those indy cats stay around for 5-10 years selling no records? never performing?

Lack of sales doesnt equate to lack of shows. Wu Tang performs in front of 50,000 people and can't even sell 50,000 albums.
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Short answer, no.

Long answer, if you feel like rap is strictly a job, get out the game NOW. Only a select few have the success people dream of. There's a graveyard full of ? thinkin they can get in the game and milk it dry. There are people who rap cuz they love it, cuz it's part of their culture... the success will come eventually, if not from that, from other ventures.

Not for everybody...and it's naive to think that...not everybody is meant to make a living off music...
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lack of sales doesnt equate to lack of shows. Wu Tang performs in front of 50,000 people and can't even sell 50,000 albums.

I never said the 2 equated...I said if you're not getting both then why keep going? You're just pouring money into a hole that you'll never get back...that's stupid...of course every genre has artist who can tour off the strength of their history but it's not many
  • UPTOWN
    edited September 2011
    Options
    but what about folks who spend tens of thousands of dollars souping up cars etc ...they dont get much out of winning a car show per say ..... they just love cars
  • Lab Baby
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Not for everybody...and it's naive to think that...not everybody is meant to make a living off music...

That's what I'm implying in that statement. If you can't make money off rap, there's a million other ways to make it. No need to drop it all together cuz you're not making money. And ? lose money off rap cuz they're not good investors. They can buy mics, mixers, programs and space rather than spending money on studio time. And if their hustle and talent match up, trust me, they can eat off this rap ? , no matter how low key they may be.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Hip Hop isnt art anymore and hasnt been for a long time. Hip Hop is a business and once you simpletons begin to understand this, you will be much better off in life.

When you simpletons realize that HipHop is more than just rap music you will be better off in life.

Try telling a Graf artist that his mural isn't art.
  • UPTOWN
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hip Hop isnt art anymore and hasnt been for a long time. Hip Hop is a business and once you simpletons begin to understand this, you will be much better off in life.
    but hip hop has no benefits or stability like a any other business

i disagree ... hip hop is not a business ... hip hop embodies things that can translate into business

there is no hip hop business .... there is music business, clothing etc
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hip-hop was always a business, let's stop acting like these dudes don't get paid big bread if they come out with ? that people feel...
    Wiz made like 6 million last year....WIZ! wit his super average ass...
  • Lab Baby
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Just look at this forum and real life. People call Jay Z the best hip hop artist ever.... and he has said he's not a business man..he's a BUSINESS man.

Jay used hip hop to gain profit not for art.
    Biggie used hip hop to gain profit not for art.
    Even the saviors Nas and Pac used hip hop to gain profit.

Hip Hop is a business and this has been the reality for quite some time now.

People confuse music business with hip hop culture. When the major labels started picking us up, they had no idea what the culture was. They didn't keep in mind the rest of it, b boying, tagging, djing. They wanted the rappers. Now you got people representing the culture, and THEY don't even know what it means. So this music business isn't hip hop, or at least not the proper representation of it. Because all the other aspects are ignored, and rappers can't survive without someone singing a hook nowadays anyway.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yes it's a job b.
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    but what about folks who spend tens of thousands of dollars souping up cars etc ...they dont get much out of winning a car show per say ..... they just love cars

is that their full time job? their main source of income? or is it a hobby they do in addition to working a non-entertainment industry related job?
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It is a job but it's also a hobby. Just like playin ball. You think MJ quit playin after he retired? Of course not because he's a true ball player and he loves what he does.

I see ppl keep bringin up the cost of recording a song on here to be the reason y artist will stop making music. That's a horrible reason to stop cuz it takes all of $0 dollaz to snatch up a throwaway beat and record it.

Everyone don't got time for hobbies.
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It is a job but it's also a hobby. Just like playin ball. You think MJ quit playin after he retired? Of course not because he's a true ball player and he loves what he does.

I see ppl keep bringin up the cost of recording a song on here to be the reason y artist will stop making music. That's a horrible reason to stop cuz it takes all of $0 dollaz to snatch up a throwaway beat and record it.

If your full time job is playing ball and you're not in a professional league chances are you don't earn much of an income...you think NBADL players are making money? you think farm league baseball players are making money? they barely get enough to survive on...Michael Jordan made MILLIONS playing in the NBA...it wasn't a hobby for him it was his job...if music is a hobby of yours, then i 100% agree keep doing it as long as you can and have the desire to...but if you're making it your full time job and you're not turning a profit, to keep going is just dumb...you have to earn a living somehow...
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's what I'm implying in that statement. If you can't make money off rap, there's a million other ways to make it. No need to drop it all together cuz you're not making money. And ? lose money off rap cuz they're not good investors. They can buy mics, mixers, programs and space rather than spending money on studio time. And if their hustle and talent match up, trust me, they can eat off this rap ? , no matter how low key they may be.

You can spend money and produce your own music...guess what happens if nobody buys it? you're taking a financial loss...and again hustle, talent, all that's cool and it does help but it's more to it than that to sustaining a career in something as fickle as the entertainment industry...there's plenty of talented people with a good business sense that simply didn't make in the music industry for whatever reason that may be...being a successful musician is a ? shoot...
  • blackrain
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nobody said you have to spend all of your time rapping if it don't work out. Nobody said dont try to earn another source of income and only rap if you're not sucessful at it. It takes all of 7 minutes to record a song. If you don't have time for that than you're not a true artist. You're just in it for the money. Before MJ got into the league, playin ball was a hobby. After he got out of the league, playin ball was a hobby. Like I mentioned earlier, it's nothin wrong with wanting to get money from somethin you like doing but if you TRUELY and honestly like doin it you dont stop because you not making money off of it anymore. All those D-league players got a warehouse job somewhere but I promise you, they find some time and spend at least 30 minutes every 2 or 3 weeks to go hoop somewhere. KRS-One old ass sittin somewhere thinkin of a punchline right now.

They should, Hobbies don't have to take hours. Especially rappin, it takes minutes.

Stop as in you never rap again, no you don't...stop as in you're not actively trying to get your music out there on a mass level and make it your primary career...yeah after a while you should...
  • UPTOWN
    edited September 2011
    Options
    is that their full time job? their main source of income? or is it a hobby they do in addition to working a non-entertainment industry related job?

maybe they once owned a car detailing business LOL ... whats ur point??