Are u a true artist if u stop rapping after your commercial career doesnt work out??

Options
2»

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    this needs to be further discussed
  • bigsmooth14
    bigsmooth14 Members Posts: 134
    Options
    If the only reason that you are recording is for the money then I'd rather you not record people should make music for the love of the music not the love of the dollar...If your only recording music for the money then eventually your commercial success will falter because there is no heart and soul in what your doing
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    If the only reason that you are recording is for the money then I'd rather you not record people should make music for the love of the music not the love of the dollar...If your only recording music for the money then eventually your commercial success will falter because there is no heart and soul in what your doing
    my sentiments exactly
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Indy rappers have a lower over head then commercial rappers. They don't have to sell as many units to break even.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is really the biggest flaw and difference between Rap and other genres of music. Rap is pretty much solely carried by the energy of youth and the pre-adult/street/decadent experience. If you haven't made it in the industry by your 30's it becomes very difficult to capture that lighting that you once had and were more in tune with in your younger days. And there's yet to be really a such thing as a life long hip hop fan market that will still support you after your out of your prime.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do think it takes a true passion to do something for free for a long time and I also think there is nothing wrong w/ making money.The thing about this game is every artist has the potential to be just 1 hit away.if some of the greats gave up we wouldn't have a lot of dope MCs from the majors to underground.
    follow @loch121
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great thread topic.

No.

It just shows they weren't real artist in the first place.
  • westcoastnative
    westcoastnative Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    Once an artist always an artist....Some were never artist....Some were just in it for the bread....Not to say LL isnt recording music right as we speak, he could be and just not releasing it to the world...He could just be making music for himself and could give a ? about what others think....Jazz musicians may stop recording, but they never stop playing, you can always catch someone doing a jam session, or as we say it, a cypher...
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

C/S, no successful commercial artist got to their prime success wise over-night , Jay-Z been trying to get in the game since he was 18/19 and finally at 26, Pac had to be a rodee/back up dancer for 2 years. It Took biggie 2 years for his big break,Missy Elliot had to go thru so many BS to finally get a shot, Rozay been rapping since forever, i heard stories about him in 99', when he was called teflon don ... it Took DMX 7 years, for him to get on.

I could go on and on, what i'm trying to say if these ? was doing it for the commercial end they would of never got it, because their road was a trivial one. that passion and love for music out weights the lack of success, and eventually it came.

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your dreams don't come true by 30 and you invested at least several years into your craft without progression, then its time to quit.