SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE: The Greatest Album Of Any Genre Ever Released!?!?!

Options
booty-gif-dot-com
booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Who:Stevie Wonder
What: Songs In The Key Of Life
Released: September 28, 1976

This is my personal fav and ive been listening to it my whole life. If this isnt high on your list, then your opinions on music are extremely limited. Stevie's music lifts you up to a higher place. when you are feeling bummed this lifts your spirtis and you just get happy! Heres some high lights of this Incredible album!!

ISNT SHE LOVELY
Stevie Wrote this for his new born daughter Aisha
I WISH
Stevie's tale of the happiness of his youth. Its amazing what a blind man can make you "see" in story telling
SAMPLED: Remade by WIll Smith in a #1 Pop Hit with WILD WILD WEST
PAST TIME PARADISE
Remade by Coolio for another #1 Hit GANGSTAS PARADISE
a lot of people dont even know this got lifted from a Stevie B side. You didnt think Coolio was this brilliant did you? COme On Son!!! soon as you hear that intro you know it from the sample
AS (Until The Day)
Youve probably heard this used a lot of movies like The Best Man. Its a masterpiece sonic scape. Herbie Hancock played Keyboards on this classic. This song takes you to another dimension in the universe you just get caught up in it!! when Napster came out this was the first MP3 I downloaded!
Knocks Me Off My Feet
Remade by Donnell Jones in a really great tribute to Stevie heres the original!
Sir Duke (Feel It All Over)
Stevie's Tribute to the Jazz and Swing greats Like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong. One of the best horn sections in music history!
and all of that is just 30% of the album.. theres much, much, much more.. It was released as a 4 sided album collection! I have this on Vinyl to this day!!!! ? INCREDIBLE..

if you got something better than this i dare you to bring it up to this standard!!

Comments

• Pun1sher
    Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Perhaps. But then again, I wouldn't even say that this is Stevie's best album.

My vote would go to Innervisions, as both his best work and the greatest LP in all of popular music history. "Key of Life" is great, but it isn't as concise.

Innervisions is layered, and each track flows together, as smoothly as water over a rock. It is utterly stunning its beauty. "Golden Lady" is my personal favorite, but I'd be more than happy to give a track by track analysis.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Catch A Fire is the greatest album period.

Within the same genre though, What's Going On tops SITKOL
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nope, "Ready To Die" by Biggie is, and it's not really close. If you look at the impact of that album combined with the lyricism that was present. The amount of energy Biggie put into every track was something that was simply immaculate. Biggie painted pictures with his word that gave you vivid imagery. It was like listening to an album and having a movie playing in your mind as each scenario he rapped about played out in your head.

Ready To Die >>>> Any album, any genre.

u don't listen to much music do you?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It's some GREAT soul on that ? .

This guy is LEGEND

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    to tell the truth STEVIE WONDER CLASSIC PERIOD is to hard to choose for me. WHERE IM COMING FROM, MUSIC OF MY MIND, TALKING BOOK, INNERVISIONS, FULFILLINGNESS FIRST FINALE, SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE.

But i give Talking Book, Innervisons, Songs in the key of life major burn
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    My Cherie Amour>>>>

Track still basically ? on 98% of music that was released from then till now.
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited October 2011
    Options
    What's Going On>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Innervisions, Talking Book, Music Of My Mind, And Songs In The Key Of Life
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Its definitely one of the greatest of the great albums. But calling it the greatest is a lil overboard. To many great albums just to pick one as the greatest
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Very bold question. The answer is NO!!
  • Pun1sher
    Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Anybody acting like this isn't a reasonable question is insulting the genius that is Stevie Wonder.

Songs in the Key of Life is not a 2nd tier album, by any means. None of Stevie's albums are. They are landmark, artistic expressions...full of subtle intelligence, amazing songwriting, and vocals that can't be duplicated.

Sure there are a plethura of albums that can be considered "the G.O.A.T." album...but to act like Songs in the Key of Life isn't amongst the contenders, is insulting.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No one is insulting Stevie's genius. It's a fact that music is subjective, but even if "The Greatest Album Of Any Genre Ever Released" existed one would have to analyze hundreds of great albums and compare them all - assuming that the listener appreciates all genres equally.

So you must compare Stevie Wonder's works to James Brown, Tupac Shakur, Fela Kuti, Nas, Bob Marley, Prince, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, DMX, Ray Charles, Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Notorious B.I.G., Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Yoko Kanno, Toni Tony Tone, Adele, Janelle Monae, Lauryn Hill, Outkast, The Roots, Maxwell, Corinne Bailey Rae, Sade, Erykah Badu, etc.

It's a very broad question to ask, and almost impossible to answer objectively.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    No one is insulting Stevie's genius. It's a fact that music is subjective, but even if "The Greatest Album Of Any Genre Ever Released" existed one would have to analyze hundreds of great albums and compare them all - assuming that the listener appreciates all genres equally.

So you must compare Stevie Wonder's works to James Brown, Tupac Shakur, Fela Kuti, Nas, Bob Marley, Prince, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, DMX, Ray Charles, Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Notorious B.I.G., Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Yoko Kanno, Toni Tony Tone, Adele, Janelle Monae, Lauryn Hill, Outkast, The Roots, Maxwell, Corinne Bailey Rae, Sade, Erykah Badu, etc.

since when did DMX and Janelle Monae make albums comparable to Stevie Wonder?
  • JokerzWyld
    edited October 2011
    Options
    since when did DMX and Janelle Monae make albums comparable to Stevie Wonder?

First I said:

Secondly, both of those artists have highly rated albums in their own right that people consider classics. You may feel as though "It's Dark & Hell Is Hot" is not comparable to anything written by Stevie, that's cool, but i may feel as though Stevie could never right a song like "Damien" or "The Convo". It's goes both ways. Hip Hop is a genre that focuses most on songwriting and lyrics. One rap verse may contain more stanzas than an entire R&B song.

As far as Janelle Monae is concerned, "The Archandroid" is basically a musical. To make music transfer from songs to live-action is a feat that is deserved to be praised. An artist is an artist regardless of how long they are in the business. Their work should be measured equally. But like i said in my original quote "It's a fact that music is SUBJECTIVE".
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »

I love the way you threw in Adelle and Biggies name in that list of great artists, nothing they dropped even comes close.