So this Lauryn Hill vs. Jean Grae debate is STILL an interesting one...

Pun1sher
Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
edited October 2011 in The Face Off Forum
...and futile at that, because as far as rapping skill goes, it's obvious that Jean is the superior emcee. She's better lyrically, her flow is better, and she's more versatile.

If you include Lauryn's R&B work and judge them overall as artists, it's a very close call; however, it will still be Jean as the superior.

The only thing Lauryn has in her favor...is The Miseducation. But that speaks NOTHING to merit, as much as it does to proximity, timing, and marketing.

Jean is the Queen.

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Jean >>>>>>> Lauryn

Attack of The Attacking Things >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miseducation
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    lauryn hill vs who?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    as far as technical skills, Jean Grae
    but as an artist? Lauryn Hill>>>Jean Grae
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Don't forget about The Score, LH and the production saved that album. The fact that Grae ain't a mainstream artist doesn't help her in this case. But aside from all that, she's the GOAT female. And Jeanius is dope as hell too.
  • INTERNATIONALKIKI
    INTERNATIONALKIKI Members Posts: 10
    edited October 2011
    This woman is beautiful & extremly talented - she's interestin
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Lauren EASILY

Mystery Of Iniquity>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jean Grae
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    LOL, is this a joke? Jean Grae isn't even good. Nicki > wackass Grae.

FF to 0:51 and you'll hear a verse that Jean Grae couldn't dream about writing.
  • Lab Baby
    edited October 2011

"I used to listen to Lauryn Hill, and tap my feet / then the ? put out a CD that didn't have no beats"

Nah, but that Unplugged joint was the ? . Have you honestly heard a Jean Grae album? LH/Grae is debatable, but you're buggin with the Nicki thing.
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited October 2011
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Don't forget about The Score, LH and the production saved that album. The fact that Grae ain't a mainstream artist doesn't help her in this case. But aside from all that, she's the GOAT female. And Jeanius is dope as hell too.

I think we all just have to look beyond the fact that Jean doesn't have as strong of a PR team behind her, as much as Lauryn did circa 95-2000. Jean's only hindrance is that she's not marketed to mainstream markets...but what does that speak to merit?

The Score was a very mediocre album, IMO. Yea, Lauryn saved that album. But amongst the presence of two subpar emcees, the ending product is going to be asi asi.

Lauryn just has a bunch of bandwagon stans, who only like her because it's "politically correct"...like soul rattler, for example.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Pun1sher wrote: »
    I think we all just have to look beyond the fact that Jean doesn't have as strong of a PR team behind her, as much as Lauryn did circa 95-2000. Jean's only hindrance is that she's not marketed to mainstream markets...but what does that speak to merit?

The Score was a very mediocre album, IMO. Yea, Lauryn saved that album. But amongst the presence of two subpar emcees, the ending product is going to be asi asi.

Lauryn just has a bunch of bandwagon stans, who only like her because it's "politically correct"...like soul rattler, for example.

This right here... I bet most of these ? have never listened to Jean...
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited October 2011
    The Score is classic
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011

Jean couldn't write a verse like that? She already did, stupid.

And lol @ Nicki being better than Jean. Nicki could barely handle Lil Kim's ghostwriters...what the ? makes you think she could come within two centimeters of seeing Jean, on any level?
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    anyone who says it isnt close is an idiot...Lauryn is the better artist but as far as technical ability no female mc is touching Jean.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited October 2011
    Come on son Nikki ain't better then Jean lolz
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    anyone who says it isnt close is an idiot...Lauryn is the better artist but as far as technical ability no female mc is touching Jean.

not a lot of MC's period is touching Jean
  • Lab Baby
    edited October 2011

Honestly, I hate the Fugees, and I wasn't a big fan of The Score. I only listened to it cuz my homegirl liked it. Didn't see the big deal, but I dug the beats and LH's parts. Still, LH is an artist in her own merit, and the debate is a lot closer than some think. She's more than a "politically correct" artist. That Unplugged album got her in a lot of trouble. And Grae's like the female version of DOOM, an acquired taste, a unique talent that if given the right push would be top 5 easy.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited October 2011
    Lauren SAVED alot of fugee songs from being flat out wacK

Zealots comes to mind. She BODIED that
  • Lab Baby
    edited October 2011
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited October 2011
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Honestly, I hate the Fugees, and I wasn't a big fan of The Score. I only listened to it cuz my homegirl liked it. Didn't see the big deal, but I dug the beats and LH's parts. Still, LH is an artist in her own merit, and the debate is a lot closer than some think. She's more than a "politically correct" artist. That Unplugged album got her in a lot of trouble. And Grae's like the female version of DOOM, an acquired taste, a unique talent that if given the right push would be top 5 easy.

i can't cosign this (fugees are one of my favorite artists) but at leat u make a good point about Jean
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    ocelot wrote: »
    not a lot of MC's period is touching Jean

Jean is such a multi-faceted emcee...she can literally do it all. She's conceptually superior, because she's an amazing story teller. She has an extremely complex lyricism, toppled with a large vocabulary, combined with intelligence and deep politically aware content. And she's the only female rapper that can rhyme double entendres...and it all flows together, as smoothly as water over a rock. She has rapped with Talib Kweli, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Common, and Mos Def...and held her own with EVERY single one of them.

I don't agree with that MF Doom comparison. Jean is a female Black Thought, as far as I'm concerned.
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Jean is such a multi-faceted emcee...she can literally do it all. She's conceptually superior, because she's an amazing story teller. She has an extremely complex lyricism, toppled with a large vocabulary, combined with intelligence and deep politically aware content. And she's the only female rapper that can rhyme double entendres...and it all flows together, as smoothly as water over a rock. She has rapped with Talib Kweli, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Common, and Mos Def...and held her own with EVERY single one of them.

I don't agree with that MF Doom comparison. Jean is a female Black Thought, as far as I'm concerned.

one of my friends that listened to her for the first time said that she is the female Slim Shady
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited October 2011

but she can't make singles, good emcees can make catchy ? too
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited October 2011
    sboogie wrote: »
    I'm not sure what y'all mean by "technical"...3:20 >>> any Jean Grae verse...

i was just listening to this album lol, new jersey as a state is slept on
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011