Aaliyah vs. Brandy - Who is more of an icon?

13»

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Pun1sher wrote: »
    There was nothing groundbreaking, or trendsetting about Aaliyah's fashion. TLC, Mary J. Blige, and the like...were ALL responsible for pioneering that "street but sweet" look, with the baggy clothes, sunglasses, and baseball caps, while managing to keep it feminine...years before Aaliyah did.

By saying Aaliyah changed the way an entire generation dressed, based solely on her style...you're completely ignoring what Mary and TLC did in 1992. If a car stops on the highway, and another car hits it, then another, and another, and the chain reaction continues. You can't just pick the 4th car, for example, and say that is what caused the accident (teehehe). And if you really wanted to be technical, we can argue that Mary's Northern Urban-city influenced style became the blueprint for artists like Aaliyah...and I can guarantee you, georgia boi, and EVERYONE else in this thread...that there is absolutely NOTHING you can say Aaliyah did in 1994 or 1996, that Mary didn't already do (be it musically or stylistically) in 1992. And that's why Mary has the title...and Aaliyah doesn't.

Now, moving on...Queen of the Damned was NOT critically acclaimed. That ? was shunned by critics, and even Anne Rice herself dismissed that ? , and didn't support it. So, Aaliyah was the top billed star of ONE movie, that got awful reviews...Brandy carried a sitcom for 6 seasons, which happened to have been one of the highest rated shows with a predominantly African American cast on a major television network. And that in itself is more trendsetting and "iconic", then what Aaliyah did in terms of acting...and that's why, of the two, Brandy's the icon.

I'm sorry, but what Mary J. Blige did musically was nothing like what Aaliyah was doing in 1996. Yes, Age Ain't Nothin' But A Number is musically the same as Mary's first two, and Brandy and Monica's debut, but One In A Million was different. People acknowledged how groundbreaking that album was sonically before Aaliyah's passing. Are you saying that "4 Page Letter", "Beats 4 The Streets", "One In A Million", "If Your Girl Only Knew", "Heartbroken", "Ladies In The House" sounds anything like what Mary was doing in 1992?

Aaliyah's style in terms of how she dressed was also different. It wasn't the baggy clothing and tom-boy look that seperated her from the rest. It was the black shades, the black leather, the clothing that almost always exposed her stomach. The closest to how Aaliyah dressed was probably Total:

6a00e5546c2e9f88330115720a6dfd970b-320wi

aaliyah-style-2.jpg

Carrying a sitcom for 6 seasons would make Brandy an icon on the level of Martin Lawerence if he never did anything outside of Martin like Bad Boys, hosting Def Jam comedy, the Big Momma House films, and other movies that he starred in directed or produced. The difference is Brandy's an accomplished singer and her carrying a sitcom is the only thing of iconic status that you can present all while stating that Aaliyah was the top billed star of a movie?
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    ^^^^Two movies...and brushes over the fact that she was going to be in both Matrix movies AND the video game?! That speaks volumes of what Hollywood actually thought of her and how much faith they had in her star power.
  • Pun1sher
    Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
    edited October 2011
    Oh...so you guys are saying that nobody in TLC (or TLC, as an entire group) was "model" enough to personify that "street but sweet" look?

TLC.jpg

best-tlc-1995--large-msg-130705242086.jpg

And, of course, Mary wasn't rockin' leather ensembles, with the Black shades.

I believe I have officially heard it all on the I.C.
    People acknowledged how groundbreaking that album was sonically before Aaliyah's passing.
    People only acknowledged how groundbreaking that album was for Missy and Timbaland's career...not for the music industry as a whole.
  • C.Melendez
    C.Melendez Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    You don't compare those 2 aaliyah is above her in my opinion ......maybe brandy and monica might be on each other level

But then again i really don't listen to rnb
  • iphucq
    iphucq Members Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    is this really a post?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Pun1sher wrote: »
    Oh...so you guys are saying that nobody in TLC (or TLC, as an entire group) was "model" enough to personify that "street but sweet" look?

TLC.jpg

best-tlc-1995--large-msg-130705242086.jpg

And, of course, Mary wasn't rockin' leather ensembles, with the Black shades.

I believe I have officially heard it all on the I.C.

People only acknowledged how groundbreaking that album was for Missy and Timbaland's career...not for the music industry as a whole.

It was acknowledged on how groundbreaking the sound was period. Bottom line, it was a sound that was groundbreaking for Urban and Pop music. DJ Premier on Aaliyah's "One In A Million" song:

"I loved ‘One in a Million.’ I loved the video, the way she was moving her body, and I was really into the way she looked in that video, and the song was dope, Timbaland was a new guy to us, and he was just so ahead with this new sound"

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/02/dj-premier-tells-all-stories-behind-classic-records/a-million-and-one-questions

Adam Levine on Aaliyah/Timbaland:

"That is one of the most revolutionary-sounding songs ever recorded," said Levine, whose teenage rock band Kara's Flowers was dropped the following year by Reprise Records. "We heard that song, and we thought to ourselves, 'Whoa, there has never been anything like this before.' "

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/20/entertainment/la-et-maroon-5-20101020

According to the above article, "Are You That Somebody" was influential in Maroon 5 changing the direction of the band. Yet Aaliyah's records weren't groundbreaking and critics just decided they'd throw a pity party for a deceased young lady who never did anything groundbreaking.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    blackrain wrote: »
    Neither was an Icon or close to it, but Aaliyah was the better between the 2

. .
  • baller2500
    baller2500 Members Posts: 193
    edited November 2011
    Aaliyah was an icon

without her Missy and Timbaland wouldn't even exist.

She was also the first teenage pop singer of the 90's, a trend that helped Britney Spears and them other pop teens get in the game.

Brandy was someone who started off big, but she was a fad, she fell off quick. She was the 90's Ashanti.

Aaliyah was an artist who got more popular as time went on.

Done.
  • freepostking
    freepostking Members Posts: 468
    edited November 2011
    Aaliyah. Brandy is cool.
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    neither imo but aaliyah is closer to being remembered as one because she ? the right ? .
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    LMAO! @ a fish-faced, insignificant ? like Brandy being compared to a goddess like Aaliyah......
    T/S choke on a ? and die....
  • bigbadbossup99
    bigbadbossup99 Members Posts: 135
    edited November 2011
    sboogie wrote: »
    icon: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something...
    Aaliyah >>>
    Brandy had like 2 dope songs...
    Aaliyah had mad joints and she was at the top when she passed...
    ducktales,every single off her 1st album was on hit.So even without her career's run you're wrong