The Watchmen

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited May 2010 in Quite Comical
I was never really into it until the movie dropped last year, after seeign the movie I went out and got the motion comic. Who else here reads or likes the Watchmen and do you think they should do a sequal?

Comments

• kakihara
    kakihara Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I read the Watchmen before I saw the movie and I liked both of them equally well. As far as a sequel, they should just leave it at the first movie.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A Watchmen "sequel" would be str8 blasphemous. HELL NAW

The book is WAY too deep for a feature length film. They shoulda did it as a HBO miniseries.
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    A Watchmen "sequel" would be str8 blasphemous. HELL NAW

The book is WAY too deep for a feature length film. They shoulda did it as a HBO miniseries.

i havent read the comic but i dont think a hbo mini series coulda put that much violence and cgi in it, if the story was to long for one movie they shoulda made a trilogy but i love the movie
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    After a lot of hassle from other people I finally got round to reading the book just before the film came out. I'm not really into comics but I really enjoyed the book but it just felt like the director lifted from the page and slapped it straight on the screen without much thought, and at the same time just missed the whole point of it. It comes to a point where I might as well have just re-read the book instead because the film just felt overlong and boring. My mate got a pirate version of it at the time and we both fell asleep through it. I guess it's a case where it would've been better if a blatant fanboy didn't direct it after all. It might've been less of a faithful adaptation but at least it might have been one that got straight to the core points and subjects of the book. I know Paul Greengrass was proper close (as in being on the actual set ready to film 'close') to directing it himself, would have liked to have seen his version, or Terry Gilliam's version where I think he wanted to turn it into a mini series which would have made more sense. It doesn't need a sequel either, book or film
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I thought it was badass. a lot of people went in expecting Wolverine not understanding that Watchmen was a murder mystery in it's truest form. I would've wanted them to focus a little more on Rorchach seeing as he was the main character the Novel was based on but all in all 2 thumbs up.