The Roots - Undun - New Album, 6th December, 2011

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Do we think The Roots can steal 2011 with this release, the same way they did with How I Got Over in 2010?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    maaaaan, How I Got Over was such an ILL album. Which amazes me because they are so far in there discography not a lot of groups put out such quality music when they have been in the game so long. While i thought Game Theory and Rising Down were good, they werent on the level of their previous albums. Then they released how i got over and slapped me in the face with dopeness.

The first single sounds cool, but not HIGO status. YET. i really hope theres other guest features they just arent showing yet. Just being the roots tho it will already be in my top 10 for the year. when it drops i will let you all know what number out of 10 it lands.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Solid cover.

I'mma have to cop their whole discography

how I got over
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I Dont see it topping How i got over (which is my favorite roots album) i hope it does....
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ah man we cant forget Common has a new album coming! probably gonna be just as good as the roots.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    maaaaan, How I Got Over was such an ILL album. Which amazes me because they are so far in there discography not a lot of groups put out such quality music when they have been in the game so long. While i thought Game Theory and Rising Down were good, they werent on the level of their previous albums. Then they released how i got over and slapped me in the face with dopeness.

The first single sounds cool, but not HIGO status. YET. i really hope theres other guest features they just arent showing yet. Just being the roots tho it will already be in my top 10 for the year. when it drops i will let you all know what number out of 10 it lands.

I gotta be honest, last year, I was riding for Eligh's Grey Crow as album of the year; but looking back, I think How I Got Over pretty much reigned over everything 2010 had to offer. Unsurprisingly though, as How I Got Over (the single) was easily 2009s best.

Yeah, definitely. I don't really understand how Black Thought can be that good. It's baffling. I remember when the single, How I Got Over dropped and on this blog that I used to frequent (shutdown now), rappers were stating that they may as well hang up the mic as Thought just baffled them and made them feel average at best lol.

Yeah, agreed.
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Solid cover.

I'mma have to cop their whole discography

how I got over

Good to see you still coming here Dilla :tu
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    I Dont see it topping How i got over (which is my favorite roots album) i hope it does....

Yeah, even if it gets close to that level though, to hear another 10 verses from Black Thought… and the production, damn… you know. I tell you a forgotten Roots album, Phrenology. Great album:
    Ah man we cant forget Common has a new album coming! probably gonna be just as good as the roots.

If Common releases a good album, I'll be surprised… since Be, he's bored me somewhat in comparison to what you expect from him… :/ He needs to get back to having fun with funky rhymes… IMO.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Undun to come soon, can't wait!!!!

ScreenShot2011-11-19at124517.png

Full listening session comments available here. Just click to view gallery… I didn't want to see their comments to the listening session though, but I don't think it'd be far-fetched to think this is going to be top 3 album of the year…
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ah man im hyped!
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ah man im hyped!

If they make it good enough to reach How I Got Over they deserve an ovation, no other group can put out two albums of that quality in an 18 month period.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    so Def Jam is an independant label?

Haha The Roots get a pass on the basis that they're incredible and The Reason generally overlooks threads such as this... this thread is for the fans to come and discuss for a month after its release... The Reason can have its thread, just as it has threads on Kendrick Lamar, works both ways :unno:
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Def Jam signed the Roots under the Def Jam Left imprint. not so sure what the official point is, but i noticed everyone signed is given a lot less promotion and are more indie artists than the main def jam roster
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Def Jam signed the Roots under the Def Jam Left imprint. not so sure what the official point is, but i noticed everyone signed is given a lot less promotion and are more indie artists than the main def jam roster

It's a good shout. Doesn't matter anyways, in the rules section, I underlined that the purpose of The Essence was to promote real Independent and Underground artists (not IC members) and in the same shout, to give the Reason posters a place to discuss who I think are more artist based to the craft and creation of the music (rather than your everyday emcee with a Major Label backing).
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Can't wait to give it a listen i love well done concept albums haven't heard many as late but this has my attention.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    *understood...
    I was just wondering...
    carry on...
    quality >>> politics...

Lol. Thanks sboogie! :tu December's going to be a blast!
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Looking forward to the album. I got every album they made and will continue to support.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Looking forward to the album. I got every album they made and will continue to support.

To be honest, I think this is the only album that will challenge Kendrick Lamar for album of the year :unno: Does Kendrick even have that sort of a title with that release?
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Aye

You can stream the new album on NPR's website.

Here's a link: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/28/142873013/first-listen-the-roots-undun
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Aye

You can stream the new album on NPR's website.

Here's a link: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/28/142873013/first-listen-the-roots-undun

Props on this, I'm still waiting for the CD to arrive though :tu What's it like in your estimations?
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited November 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Props on this, I'm still waiting for the CD to arrive though :tu What's it like in your estimations?

Its short @ 39 minutes and much more mellow than their previous albums.

Personally I like short albums. BE and Illmatic for example are albums you can listen to in one sitting start to finish and then replay.

Completely different feel from HIGO which IMO had really standout tracks like: Right On, How I Got Over, and Doin It Again.

I need to listen to it again before I put a #rating on it.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Its short @ 39 minutes and much more mellow than their previous albums.

Personally I like short albums. BE and Illmatic for example are albums you can listen to in one sitting start to finish and then replay.

Completely different feel from HIGO which IMO had really standout tracks like: Right On, How I Got Over, and Doin It Again.

I need to listen to it again before I put a #rating on it.

Alright, props on this, did you gather the concept easily???
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited November 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Alright, props on this, did you gather the concept easily???

Nah. I just kinda zoned out and listened to it. Then I read up on it and listened to the story.

Its a dope album that you really get the most out of by listening to start to finish like The Love Below.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Nah. I just kinda zoned out and listened to it. Then I read up on it and listened to the story.

Its a dope album that you really get the most out of by listening to start to finish like The Love Below.

Alright, props, I'm saving the concept for when I hear it!!! Glad it's a nice release, never expected less…
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Album is fantastic. Dark, but beautiful. Only listened to once so far but will definitely become one of the highlights of the year. Solid play from front to back. BT is spitting ferociously.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hey guys. Undun = Album of the year.

That's All.

P.S. - Ruff you better get excited because i think they may have topped how i got over. only 2 listens into it. but once lunch comes today best beleive there will be a 3rd.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So its getting great feedback all over the IC....

hmmmm This is when living in UK sucks! mines on pre order.... i need it now!!!

im with Draft though, not opening til i get it in the post....