Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    yeah i'm giving the roots album of the year 2 years in a row
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Album is fantastic. Dark, but beautiful. Only listened to once so far but will definitely become one of the highlights of the year. Solid play from front to back. BT is spitting ferociously.

Man, it's always a blessing to hear from BT!!!
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Hey guys. Undun = Album of the year.

That's All.

P.S. - Ruff you better get excited because i think they may have topped how i got over. only 2 listens into it. but once lunch comes today best beleive there will be a 3rd.

Mannnn, that's great news… it's great to see the album is living up to expectations, I really don't know how they do it, they're hip hop's greatest musicians…

I just don't understand how they've topped How I Got Over, although, when I heard it was their first concept album, I got goosebumps… they're always the best albums!
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    So its getting great feedback all over the IC....

hmmmm This is when living in UK sucks! mines on pre order.... i need it now!!!

im with Draft though, not opening til i get it in the post....

Yeah, but I don't think anyone has the CD yet Stupot, there's that live stream on the Net.

I've got mine on pre-order too, from Amazon - first class in hope of getting it on release day… where've you pre-ordered it?
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    yeah i'm giving the roots album of the year 2 years in a row

Can't fault that decision, The Roots almost had my album of the year last year, but I went with Eligh, upon revision, I think I changed to HIGO. And if not, upon reflection now, it is.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. Topping this one is gonna be a pain in the ass for them too!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I'm kinda late but the album is getting crazy reviews. Peep this of The Independent
    The Roots' 13th album may be their best.

Inspired by a Sufjan Stevens track from Greetings From Michigan, it's a concept album about the downfall of a young man, Redford Stevens, told backwards from the point of his death - thus avoiding both the sense of inevitability and the tragic bravado found in comparable hip-hop tragedies. Instead, it offers opportunities for more considered reflection on the values we choose in life, from the viewpoint of someone on the journey "from a man to a memory", trying to "leave with a little bit of dignity". Musically, it's a watery, wavery process of twinkling electric piano, echoey ? vibrations and scudding R&B grooves, leading to a four-part movement expansion of Sufjan's "Redford", his original piano progression followed by two further passages of sombre piano and strings, sandwiching a free-jazz maelstrom interpretation. The moral? "You either done doin' crime, or you done in".

The Independent

Have it pre-ordered already
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Yeah. Topping this one is gonna be a pain in the ass for them too!

Haha, if they've literally topped HIGO, I will literally put myself on the line and say that it will be their greatest release ever, regardless if they make it to 20 releases!!! Concept albums are just too perfectly crafted when done properly (and it'd have to be done properly to top HIGO). The thing is, BT is that talented, the man is just a gift… I don't really know of many emcee's who can mess with him… people rave about the current Nas, but look at the current BT. HIGO the track was the greatest verse of 2009, then the album was the best of 2010 and now they're topping it again?!?! Incredible (if the hype is anything to go by, which is likely given Essence sources).
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I'm kinda late but the album is getting crazy reviews. Peep this of The Independent

The Independent

Have it pre-ordered already

Nice review… I don't really want to decipher the concept before hearing it though!!!

There's three cops in this thread :tu
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
    I just might cop their whole discography

Its amazing their still DOPE after nearly two decades in the game
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I just might cop their whole discography

Its amazing their still DOPE after nearly two decades in the game

AND have NEVER been lacking, EVER.

They're the greater group in comparison with Outkast, I've always had them higher!!
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    @ Draft, i just go to Amazon for easy option, although they sometimes ? up pre orders (fifa 12 took like 2 weeks after)
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    @ Draft, i just go to Amazon for easy option, although they sometimes ? up pre orders (fifa 12 took like 2 weeks after)

Oh well, let's hope they get this one right! Let me know when you get it :tu
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
    Have had this ? on repeat for days now

It might just be The HipHop Album Of The Year until Common's ? drops though

The musicianship on it is bananas

The Roots >>>
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    As have it. One Time with Phonte and Dice Raw is my fave song.
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
    Lighthouse, Kool On and Make My with the Outro (Finality)

DOPE
  • stupot0607
    edited December 2011
    I Cant wait for this, its dispatched, Hopefully will get it tomorrow....
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    I Cant wait for this, its dispatched, Hopefully will get it tomorrow....

Mine was dispatched on the 3rd, you know what date yours was???
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
    Mine should be coming in tomorrow

I can't miss out on HISTORY
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Link didnt work.. but i listend on NPR stream thx for that.. i have to really dig in and listen didnt hit me as hard as HIGO but i will replay and ingest
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
    A lotta people are comparing it to HIGO

However Quest said that was the album (HIGO) that is defining their new state of mind musically

How I Got Over deals with mortality amidst socio economic ills.

undun deals with the beginning and end of a human life ... told in reverse
  • stupot0607
    edited December 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Mine was dispatched on the 3rd, you know what date yours was???

Ayeeeee same the 3rd.

Gonna have to get it when i get back from work tomorrow.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Ayeeeee same the 3rd.

Gonna have to get it when i get back from work tomorrow.

Same here... not impressed with that referee, at all. *could go on a huge rant but restricts himself out of professionalism of being a mod lol.*
  • stupot0607
    edited December 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Same here... not impressed with that referee, at all. *could go on a huge rant but restricts himself out of professionalism of being a mod lol.*

Hahaha Yeah i just finished watching the match aswell, That fulham player Dembele is quality i recon! pretty even if you ask me the match. both had good chances.

You cant speak to me about bad refs after the Toon match on saturday. David Luiz is a ? player, shoulda been off haha.

Got my tickets for Liverpool Away sorted like.

I Digress, Ill try keep on the thread topic......... Im so tempted to youtube some of the songs, but im restraining myself..

i got like 5 Roots album, and the only one if ever been like addictedto is How i got over. i dno why, but How i got over is such a great disc, really is like a soundtrack to your day.
  • rip.dilla
    edited December 2011
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha Yeah i just finished watching the match aswell, That fulham player Dembele is quality i recon! pretty even if you ask me the match. both had good chances.

You cant speak to me about bad refs after the Toon match on saturday. David Luiz is a ? player, shoulda been off haha.

Got my tickets for Liverpool Away sorted like.

I Digress, Ill try keep on the thread topic......... Im so tempted to youtube some of the songs, but im restraining myself..

i got like 5 Roots album, and the only one if ever been like addictedto is How i got over. i dno why, but How i got over is such a great disc, really is like a soundtrack to your day.

David Luiz is an idiot, but a likeable one... and I know what you mean, Bolton red card was ridiculous as well for Cahill. Anyway, I digress too..

Nice, to be honest, I really like Illadelph Halflife as well, but I know what you mean, HIGO really is a landmark album, really showed off Black Thought perfectly, IMO. But all of their releases have been solid with outstanding tracks... really can't wait to hear it. Going to see Aloe Blacc on Wednesday too... class on Liverpool tickets!
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    and if i ever gotlucky it was oneeee timeeee, this album is great!
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Listening now.
  • Catalyst2012
    Catalyst2012 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Bout to go cop it after class