Which Decade Is The Goat??????????

Options
siqnih da rapper
siqnih da rapper Members Posts: 5,699 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
ill say the 80s for me mj, tina turner lionel richie, prince etc enough said that was the goat year.... which year u think??

Comments

• siqnih da rapper
    edited October 2011
    Options
    and when i say them names i just called right above ui mean sum of them didnt come out in the 80s but their music was more memborable during that time and was there best body of work
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    its hard for me to pick

overall im gonna have to go wit the 2000's off top

hip hop was very diverse,especially if you knew where to look

rock had good elements of metal and rap

even pop got mixed in wit hip hop and sme pretty good hybrid combos were able to come out of it
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    60's and 70's

the music was that much more rich and purposeful
  • siqnih da rapper
    edited October 2011
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    its hard for me to pick

overall im gonna have to go wit the 2000's off top

hip hop was very diverse,especially if you knew where to look

rock had good elements of metal and rap

even pop got mixed in wit hip hop and sme pretty good hybrid combos were able to come out of it

i feel u on that tho but 80s was the ? tho, i mean its so many hits were made and record breakings......

reason i feel u on your opinion b/c the 00s is still going on

and this coming from a ? who grew up in the 90s
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    70's... For all genres. Music as a whole had a greater "spirit"
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Co-sign...
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The 70s is in the lead? Wow. can't believe it. In my eyes it's the 60s even though I didn't grew up in that decade. The 70s were too ? . All about disco. The 80s were too ego-centric. IMO the 60s were and is the best decade for pure soul/R&B music.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the 90s and 00s
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited October 2011
    Options
    80s, only cuz I like the production so much. New Jack Swing and Quiet Storm specifically.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    definately the 90's. that's when i felt music was the most balanced. thats when so many different genres had a bubbling scene. electronic music was getting underway with dnb/jungle. big beat with fatboy slim and basement jaxx. trance was also prominent then. then u had rnb which was as diverse as any other musical genre with hip hop soul, contemporary r&b, neo soul, and quiet storm. then rock divided into so many different subcultures with grunge and shoegaze in the early 90's. then sludge metal, groove metal, and nu-metal started to gain ground later. not to mention alternative had a nice run. and the pop punk revival with acts like the offspring, green day, and no doubt. and dont get me started on hip hop. so yea collectively, i would say the 90's was my favorite
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    definately the 90's. that's when i felt music was the most balanced.

same thing i was about to say. every genre was pretty well represented in the 90's whereas other decades were only famous for certain ones.

but the 70's would be a close second for me.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    THE 70'S AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

STEVIE WONDER
    he dropped Music of My Mind, Inneversions, Talking Book and Songs In The Key Of Life all in this decade!

THE OJAYS
    For The Love Of Money, Give the People What they Want

THE DEBUT OF PRINCE IN 1978
    first hit Soft and Wet and his 1979 followup For You with. I wanna be Your Lover.
    some younger people didnt know Prince came out this long ago!!

SLY AND FAMILY STONE
    looked at as a 60's group but kept on with hits in the 70's. best known is Its A Family Affair (youve heard a gazillion remakes and samples)
    from the 1971 Theres a Riot Goin On Album

MARVIN GAYE
    his peak was the 70s' 1971 Whats Going On Album judged by some critics as teh best album ever!
    then 1972 underrated TROUBLE MAN album for the film an 1973 Lets Get It On Album

ROY AYERS
    Underrated Soul/Jazz Fusion hugely respected by his peers and future soul singers best known for being sampled by MARY J BLIGE
    from his hit MY LIFE IN THE SUNSHINE which she used to jump off her 2nd album MY LIFE..

CURTIS MAYFIELD
    The 1972 Superfly Album From the movie

THE COMMODORES DEBUT
    Lionel Richies first band doing Brickhouse 1977-ish

THE DEBUT OF RICK JAMES (? ) 1977
    The Come Get it Album with Mary Janeeeeeeeee

RUFUS AND CHAKA KHAN
    Doing the Original Sweet Thing and Tell Me Something Good

EARTH WIND AND FIRE
    Keep Your Head To the Sky, Shining Star, September!

OHIO PLAYERS
    Love Roller Coaster and Fire

DONNA SUMMER
    A million hits. called queen of disco but shes much more than that LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY

SMOKEY ROBINSON
    viewed as a 60's act but put out QUIET STORM in 1975 which generated its own genre and format that everybody still uses
    at radio station for dedication hour of slow songs to ? To

This isnt even close. and im just scratching the surface of what was good!! if you dont say 70's you just dont know whats up!!!

Disclaimer: I was born in 1976 so i wasnt old enough to experience these treasures on there original releases but RE-DSICOVERED them as a music fan!!
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i voted for the 70s just because i really feel like soul/r&b really was in it's prime at that time. it came into it's own at that point. it started off in the 60s with the motown music and what not but it got more fierce production-wise in the 70s. i'm going to say the 90's comes in a close second place.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited October 2011
    Options

this. sometimes when i listen to music from that era i can't help but think that this generation lost something