Kool Moe Dee on Jay-Z vs Nas emcee battle

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Here's is a small piece of an Kool Moe Dee Interview that i will dropped later that is a must read for the anybody that love's emceeing and the history and culture of hip-hop.

But the piece im going to drop is touched on the Nas vs Jay-Z battle.

Kool Moe Dee is one of the greatest emcee of all times and know's about battling so he know's what he is talking about.

Comments

• waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    KMD : I would take a person and break down their weaknesses and put it in rhyme form and a lot of Emcees dont know - there is a humor element to battle , an insult element , a truth element , and you can even add a spiritual , or Afrocentric element like KRS does . When you put those all together it makes you multidimensional , and a lot of Emcees think that its just sayin the hottest ? to make the crowd react , when there is so much more. Thats why the best battle Emcees in the history of the game are : KRS , Big Daddy Kane , Caz & myself . I see some new guys with potential , but the environment that we are in now doesn't allow them to fully show their wit . Like Nas & Jay Z - it was refreshing on one hand to see it , but it wasn't like the old battles. Nas just did the truth thing on him , and that just shocked the people , but there is a certain level of lyrical wit that I miss in the battle .

JQ : Yeah Jay came back at him with the "condoms on your baby seat" thing...the humor .

KMD : Thats when I knew that Nas had gotten to Jay - Z pyschologically , his response sounded like an emotional rush . Almost like Tyson trying to prove that he can come back & beat Holyfield a second time and he bit his ear . Its not like Jay Z cant rhyme , but people have specialties . Jay Z s specialty is street flavor and hustler game , but to battle someone like Nas you have to step it up a notch . I always said that the reason LL can never win a battle is because he talks so much about himself , that he cant talk about anything else . He used his charisma , energy and vocabulary - which is basically a combination of my style , T la Rock & Run but in battling its more . Like when I hit him with the Ls ( lower level , lackluster etc) it wasnt just insulting , but it had poetic value to it .
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice drop...where this from??
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    deeroc22 wrote: »
    Nice drop...where this from??

It's from an interview he did a few years back with Jay-Quan, it's a dope ass interview so much gems in there about emcee's and his battle with LL and Busy Bee.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Kool Moe Dee still thinks he beat LL in that battle? Wow.

That's like hearing MC Shan trying to break down KRS One's flow talking about where he went wrong.

Props to KMD though but c'mon - you need to accept your L (pun intended)
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    Kool Moe Dee still thinks he beat LL in that battle? Wow.

That's like hearing MC Shan trying to break down KRS One's flow talking about where he went wrong.

Props to KMD though but c'mon - you need to accept your L (pun intended)

Come on Bruh, LL copped that L against KooL Moe Dee just as he Copped that L against Canibus, Jay-Z is picking up where LL left off. Now dont get me wrong LL is a legend top 15 of all times
  • coolc31
    coolc31 Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I always thought Kool Moe Dee got the best of L, but he really gives himself too much credit for not being known for much besides battling LL & "The Wild Wild West". Don't get me wrong, I know all about the Treacherous Three, Beat Street, battling Bizzy Bee & I have most of his albums, but I was never impressed with his albums. However, he was a beast on the mic.
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    coolc31 wrote: »
    I always thought Kool Moe Dee got the best of L, but he really gives himself too much credit for not being known for much besides battling LL & "The Wild Wild West". Don't get me wrong, I know all about the Treacherous Three, Beat Street, battling Bizzy Bee & I have most of his albums, but I was never impressed with his albums. However, he was a beast on the mic.

Kool Moe Dee was ahead of his time, even with Treacherous Three he was on some other ? , and The Teacherous Three is mad underrated Special K was nice on the mic and Sunshine was the party dude of the crew so they had all bases touched.

KMD first three albums was nice to me "How ya Like Me Now and Knowledge is King" lyrically is a dope ass album.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice Drop. Jay-Quan has the freshest interviews with the Pioneers. I recommend looking my man up. You'll learn alot about the early, early days when Hip Hop was just getting started. For the Record MOE is the Man. He changed Hip Hop with his battle against Busy. NO one and I mean no one had heard MCing like that before that battle. Moe Dee was one of the first MC's who also spoke about the importance of Education and earned a degree. He was also one of the first to earn a grammy and perform at the grammys. Moe Dee also one of the first RAP artists to work with Teddy Riley. Sun has mad credentials.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Kool Moe Dee was ahead of his time, even with Treacherous Three he was on some other ? , and The Teacherous Three is mad underrated Special K was nice on the mic and Sunshine was the party dude of the crew so they had all bases touched.

KMD first three albums was nice to me "How ya Like Me Now and Knowledge is King" lyrically is a dope ass album.

Yo Special K was the Man he torched Run-DMC on Graffiti Rock.
  • coolc31
    edited October 2011
    Options

I agree he is a monster on the mic. I just never appreciated his overall albums probably because of the beats. The lyrics were always on point.
  • blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    good drop
    i agree with most of what he said
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    coolc31 wrote: »
    I agree he is a monster on the mic. I just never appreciated his overall albums probably because of the beats. The lyrics were always on point.

I can agree with this. Only because, the Hip Hop sound was still taking shape. Moe Dee didn't have the luxury of working with Strictly Hip Hop type producers.
  • coolc31
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I can agree with this. Only because, the Hip Hop sound was still taking shape. Moe Dee didn't have the luxury of working with Strictly Hip Hop type producers.

No doubt...I would have loved to hear him on a album of nothing but hard hitting hip hop producers.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

JQ : Yeah Jay came back at him with the "condoms on your baby seat" thing...the humor .

KMD : Thats when I knew that Nas had gotten to Jay - Z pyschologically , his response sounded like an emotional rush . Almost like Tyson trying to prove that he can come back & beat Holyfield a second time and he bit his ear . Its not like Jay Z cant rhyme , but people have specialties . Jay Z s specialty is street flavor and hustler game , but to battle someone like Nas you have to step it up a notch .

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I always thought the way Jay ended that blueprint verse against Nas was dope with the "you know who did you know what" line. It's like an unsubliminal subliminal because everyone knew what he was talking about so it went without explicitly saying. But then to come back on supa ugly talking about it openly took the lil bit of mystique out of it - it showed Nas beat him psychologically that he wanted to prove to everyone "in case you didn't know I ? his ? so it don't matter if he burned me with ether".
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Moe Dee was ill for his time. And he did ? L, but L had the ladies and the rest is history
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice Drop. Jay-Quan has the freshest interviews with the Pioneers. I recommend looking my man up. You'll learn alot about the early, early days when Hip Hop was just getting started. For the Record MOE is the Man. He changed Hip Hop with his battle against Busy. NO one and I mean no one had heard MCing like that before that battle. Moe Dee was one of the first MC's who also spoke about the importance of Education and earned a degree. He was also one of the first to earn a grammy and perform at the grammys. Moe Dee also one of the first RAP artists to work with Teddy Riley. Sun has mad credentials.

COSIGN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im a fan of Jay-Quan because i live breathe the culture of hip-hop, and the early years of hip-hop is what i like to read about and go back in time, like i tell people Kool Moe Dee is the Father of Rakim, Nas, Canibus and the Lupe's. And about Teddy Riley a whole lot of people didnt know that about KMD
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yo Special K was the Man he torched Run-DMC on Graffiti Rock.

LOL I DONT WHY DMC even showed up for the battle, and KMD was cold as ? , A true B-boy he was rhymin in a b-boy stance killin RUN DMC.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yo that was the sure shot. Thanks for the drop. And you're right MOE D is father of MC's the prided themselves on Lyrics and intelligence.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It's from an interview he did a few years back with Jay-Quan, it's a dope ass interview so much gems in there about emcee's and his battle with LL and Busy Bee.

drop that whole ? ? def a nice break down ;)
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice drop waterproof...if anybody knows the mechanics of battling it's Kool Moe Dee no doubt.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    LOL I DONT WHY DMC even showed up for the battle, and KMD was cold as ? , A true B-boy he was rhymin in a b-boy stance killin RUN DMC.
    dat was the ? right there

dmc blew it ... thats how moe d and k won it .... run did his thing but dmc dropped the ball on his last verse especially
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    KMD : I would take a person and break down their weaknesses and put it in rhyme form and a lot of Emcees dont know - there is a humor element to battle , an insult element , a truth element , and you can even add a spiritual , or Afrocentric element like KRS does . When you put those all together it makes you multidimensional , and a lot of Emcees think that its just sayin the hottest ? to make the crowd react , when there is so much more. Thats why the best battle Emcees in the history of the game are : KRS , Big Daddy Kane , Caz & myself . I see some new guys with potential , but the environment that we are in now doesn't allow them to fully show their wit . Like Nas & Jay Z - it was refreshing on one hand to see it , but it wasn't like the old battles. Nas just did the truth thing on him , and that just shocked the people , but there is a certain level of lyrical wit that I miss in the battle .

Didnt Takeover have all those elements to make a good diss song... humor, insult, truth, and spiritual?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Didnt Takeover have all those elements to make a good diss song... humor, insult, truth, and spiritual?

"Takeover" didn't make Nas cry though.."Ether" on the other hand...
  • Who Cares???
    Who Cares??? Members Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2011
    Options
    "Takeover" didn't make Nas cry though.."Ether" on the other hand...

I never seen jayz a drop tear. Neither did you.
  • monolithicpaw
    monolithicpaw Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Awesome drop! I never dug any of KMD's music except "Let's Go. And of course I think L got him. Till the Break of Dawn" sucked all of the wind out of him.

This is the type of knowledge that needs to be passed around. He summed up the Nas, Jay battle so perfectly. Must admit, even I didn't really let it process that Jay Z's response was that of someone wounded. At the time I just thought he was trying to get his Pac on...