Who here has run a 5k?

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Weight Room
I'm currently training for one that's taking place Sunday. Any advice?

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have not ran one but I have trained with guys that do. It is only 3.7 miles (I think) So I say run 5 miles to ready for a 5K. Find someone with good pace and either try to beat them or at least keep them with in a 5-10 second reach.

But for any running find your pace and keep it! Dont go higher or lower keep your pace and ride it all the way in.

I will not run one until I can get my 5 mile runs under 35 minutes. I am currently hovering around 38-40 minutes and that is with alot of hills. Best way to train is with hills.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    never for competition but I dont thinks it thats far...its more like 3.1 miles and I used to that all the time in the military..now I avg. 6-10 miles when I run...everyone gotta start somewhere though...good luck.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    never did one yet but im sure its nothing. i can run 3.1(5k) miles easily. i normally do between 4 and 6 miles when i go for a run. id just suggested being hydrated and well rested before the run.
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    never for competition but I dont thinks it thats far...its more like 3.1 miles and I used to that all the time in the military..now I avg. 6-10 miles when I run...everyone gotta start somewhere though...good luck.

I couldn't run around the corner a year ago. Probably can't right now.

You have to build up to it. If you are already a runner 5k shouldn't be too hard for you.

But I went from "I hate running, I can't do this ish" to running a half marathon. 5k's were for fun.
  • dirtyrodney
    dirtyrodney Members Posts: 556
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I use to do these all the time in highschool (Raider team). Its no real advise except run everyday, two a days is the best. The 5K was always my weekness
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yeah, 3.1 miles. And co-sign, I never ran a 5k competition either but I run a 10k easily 3-5 times per week :tu
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    5 k isn't that bad Ive never ran for competition but I'm not in top notch shape and have no problem finishing without stopping or walking. I think its only 3. some miles.
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited October 2011
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    Yeah, 3.1 miles. And co-sign, I never ran a 5k competition either but I run a 10k easily 3-5 times per week :tu

• BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i was in excellent shape at the time and did pretty well
    stretching and breath control are my most important gems
    those make or break u plus running shoes
    also ur mind u need something to think about if u have pain or slow down
    see if u can do it with a partner or group
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited October 2011
    Options
    my 5k was 31:00
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have many times in the military…I once did a team 10k mud run…that ? was fun…but i was dead ? tired for like the rest of weekend. I don't remember any of my times though
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have many times in the military…I once did a team 10k mud run…that ? was fun…but i was dead ? tired for like the rest of weekend. I don't remember any of my times though

Seriously? damn I want to do that, what did that involve?
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It was when I was stationed at Ft.Lewis it was a 5-man squad run…man…it was like it started at the gym…thru the forest it was like..picture a long ass American Gladiators course but with mud…there were walls…rope swings and climbs…tunnels…pits and ? …and then u ended up back at the gym…it was for everyone all u had to do was pay the entry fee…u didn't have to do it as a team though u could've done it solo…it was OD fun though…but like i said I was done for the rest of the week…I think we got like 3rd ended up with a trophy and a gift card for like 50 bucks at the PX…it was for charity they have it like every summer
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Was it today? 5k's are fast and fun. Your training depends on how far along you already are. Slowly increase your mileage every week, and rest a couple days before your race.
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only did 5K on a treadmill?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never did any until this summer. did one. and was hooked. i think i've now done 5 or 6 for the summer. i don't do any traiing. other than just run until i get tired. i run the day before. then wake up and try to run a mile before the race. then just get it. i don't race to win, just to finish really. maybe next year i'll try to train to be more competitive. the best i finished was 3rd in my age group. which isn't great but i'm not mad
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5k is not that bad if you're jogging

Couldn't imagine having to race at that speed tho. My sprint game is cheetah status
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    ? hard, I ran a 31 minute one and I was walking some parts.
  • BelovedAfeni
    Options
    i ran it on the treadmill today
    if that counts
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im running 2k on the treadmill right now.....i really just started tho....i know i cant do ? with a 5k
  • caddo man
    Options
    I am doing one this weekend on the Georgia Tech Campus. I will post my numbers.
  • BelovedAfeni
    Options
    5k in approx 26 min
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my last 5K was 24:25 but i prefer longer runs. I use my 5K time to get seeded better for longer and more crowded distance races I do.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Just did a very small one. I came in between 12th-17th. My time was 26:43 slowest time I have ever had. I hadnt ran since early October until then.
  • caddo man
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Just did a very small one. I came in between 12th-17th. My time was 26:43 slowest time I have ever had. I hadnt ran since early October until then.

Okay scratch that. I just had my slowest time with 26:47 this last week. Man it was some fine ass women out there.