Are those that are anti Abortion but Pro Death penalty Hypocrites and Vice Versa???

Options
Fazeem_Blackall
Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Social Lounge
I have notice that a lot of people who are pro Death Penalty are antiabortion and those that are pro abortion are anti death penalty. I have always found this Mindstate quite and paradoxical. Personally I am anti Both the Death penalty and abortion I do not believe anyone should take the life of another unless their life is in imminent danger where both those scenerios usually do not have that kind of risk factor involved. But lets get some Feed back from the IC as I place up and figure out how to properly word this poll...

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i don't think anyone's really pro abortion....just doesn't wana see it made illegal.

but the difference between abortion & the death penalty is that one is actually killing someone & the other isn't (depending on how you view it). the pro-life stance is that a fetus is alive & has the right to life because every life is precious. so if you take that away via the death penalty you're saying that every life is in fact not precious, or that the precious-ness is conditional, hence, the hypocrisy.

a pro-choice stance isn't necessarily pro-abortion...but either way, the general consensus of those with that belief is that life does not start at conception & a fetus has no rights to its own life. essentially you're not taking a life away as you would with the death penalty because there was no life to begin with.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i don't think anyone's really pro abortion....just doesn't wana see it made illegal.

but the difference between abortion & the death penalty is that one is actually killing someone & the other isn't (depending on how you view it). the pro-life stance is that a fetus is alive & has the right to life because every life is precious. so if you take that away via the death penalty you're saying that every life is in fact not precious, or that the precious-ness is conditional, hence, the hypocrisy.

a pro-choice stance isn't necessarily pro-abortion...but either way, the general consensus of those with that belief is that life does not start at conception & a fetus has no rights to its own life. essentially you're not taking a life away as you would with the death penalty because there was no life to begin with.
    you must be pleading the 5th and pro choice is pro abortion the option to ? as a Convenience another human being at whatever stage of development is more then a simple choice and is the same whether the person is 30 years old or still in the ? . I love the way people dance around the subject...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm pro-abortion, because I do not care when the zygote's/embryo's/fetus's "life begins"; since whether it's "life" has "begun" or not, its "rights" don't automatically override the "rights" or desires/needs of the host organism that it depends on. Once it's able to leave its parasitic state, then the zygote/embryo/fetus can have independent "rights".

I'm anti-death penalty, because in the United States, it is too expensive/inefficient.

It's only hypocritical if the reasoning behind each stance is contradictory.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Humans are created with a sperm and an egg, and they are endowed with the rights, when they are created (meaning conception)

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

an aborted fetus is deprived of life with out do process of the law. a convicted killer has been tried and found guilty by a jury or its peers, and forfeit his/her right to live (due process of the law)
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited October 2011
    Options
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Humans are created with a sperm and an egg, and they are endowed with the rights, when they are created (meaning conception)

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

an aborted fetus is deprived of life with out do process of the law. a convicted killer has been tried and found guilty by a jury or its peers, and forfeit his/her right to live (due process of the law)

interesting perspective(I noticed you did not vote) but what about those whom due processed has failed and after the fact have been found to be not guilty on Deathrow or already been executed(it has happened quite a few times). Although the premise I am reaching for is more on a Idealogical and moral plane then a legal one...
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Personally I think you should be able to ? your kid up to the age of 3 that way at least his personality is shining through a little bit and if you don't like it you can drown the lil ? in the bathtub.

I'm also pro death penalty...? all that ? wtf is the point in staying alive til you're 80 only to stay in prison til the day you die? Let that ? go early...Parole that ? to the afterlife. Your Parole officer is Lucifer...Try not to violate.

But to answer the OP. It's not really hypocritical considering anti abortionists usually believe that every person has a chance to live a productive life however pro death penalty normally people believe you've had your chance to be a productive member of society yet you decided not to and there's no more rehabilitation for you. One is giving a person the chance to live and the other one is after that chance has been taken and thrown away.

What would be a little bit more hypocritical in my opinion is people that are Pro life yet say they believe the only way you should be able to ? a child is if your pregnancy is the product of a ? . Or the ones that are pro life yet support mistakes being corrected by PlanB (The morning after pill).
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Great question.

Death penalty is suppose to be for people that have earned it. Killing a child cause of your mistake.... just makes me think we should ? you.
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited October 2011
    Options
    you must be pleading the 5th and pro choice is pro abortion the option to ? as a Convenience another human being at whatever stage of development is more then a simple choice and is the same whether the person is 30 years old or still in the ? . I love the way people dance around the subject...

i'm not dancing. you can't ? something that's not alive. & as for whoever dropped the constitution:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

according to the US you aren't a citizen if you're not born. in the ? you don't have rights whether or not life begins at conception.
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited October 2011
    Options

i'm not dancing. you can't ? something that's not alive. & as for whoever dropped the constitution:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

according to the US you aren't a citizen if you're not born. in the ? you don't have rights whether or not life begins at conception.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    im for both them ? ...
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm Pro-Choice AND Pro-Capital Punishment...so I'm consistent.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I think their position is misguided, since there's no reason to believe that zygotes, embryos or first and second trimester fetuses are sentient but they aren't 'hypocrites', they're making a distinction between what they think are 'innocent' and 'guilty' humans. It makes no sense for 'liberals' to claim that they're contradicting themselves because they aren't, most of the people on death row are responsible for their own execution, they could have avoided it by simply not killing others, "innocent babies" don't deserve to be killed as they haven't knowingly harmed or wronged anyone.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    its the epitome of hypocritical

If you're pro life you're pro life period. If you don't think I can take the life of a cell, then why should I be able to take the life of a grown ass adult???

What they did in life doesn't dictate my ability to ? them. Again you can't be pro life SOMETIMES. You're either pro life always or pro life never

With that said, I'm down for killing whoever whenever however. Fetus, criminal, terrorist whatever. Death doesn't discriminate and neither do I.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    I'm anti-death penalty, because in the United States, it is too expensive/inefficient.

is it really more expensive than keeping the prisoner alive, in jail for the rest of his life, giving him health care, food, and a roof over his head?
  • fullfledged
    fullfledged Members Posts: 238
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The world is a sick place
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm pro for both.......the whole position behind the big debate for abortion is a political themed one that is only used to garner votes. It should be illegal for us to tell Women what to do with their own bodies, if they want to terminate their pregnancy then the guilt and everything associated with the act is on them. As far as the death penalty goes, I don't see why we should waste tax payer money on keeping alive murderers, rapists, thieves, etc alive until they die on death row.
  • shieky
    shieky Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Two posters have summed up my feelings about this already.

I am against the death penalty because I don't believe the justice system should have the right to dictate who lives and who dies. I also know, as the OP stated, that people are wrongly executed way too often. I feel the harshest punishment comes from rotting ones life away in a cell, death is not only a cop out for these inamtes, but also unjust on so many levels imo.

However, I am pro choice because of what im_lux said. There is no way I could say a 13 year old girl who was ? is wrong for choosing abortion. Nor should she be forced to carry a child for 9 months and either be stuck with that child or forced to give it up for adoption. That seems to add insult to injury depending on the mental toughness of the victim. Now for people who are promiscuous and careless, that is a different story.

All in all, while I believe people who play both sides are hypocrites, I guess I am one also. If pregnancy by ? was nothing more than a myth, I would be anti everything, but due to circumstances, I have to be pro choice with abortion.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    is it really more expensive than keeping the prisoner alive, in jail for the rest of his life, giving him health care, food, and a roof over his head?
    I think it's mainly the legal hassle that makes it more expensive; the initial trial and all the appeals.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Voted no. A lot of the people who are anti abortion have religious reasons for their stance and dont care about what science or the law has to say about it.

For the record, I'm pro death penalty and pro choice.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited November 2011
    Options
    wow some interesting answers...
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    1. The unborn child is innocent and did not choose to be brought into this world.

2. There are people that should be put down. Monsters do exist.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    No.

Death Penalty = You killed somebody and now we gonna ? you for vengeance...

Abortion = You killed a human being for no other reason than that human being was about to "cramp your style" and "you aint ready for no baby right now" *place ? excuse for homicide here*

One case requires that another person be in the wrong. The other case requires that one simply be conceived by a heartless ? ? . Not the same.

I'm Anti-Both btw.