TSA Workers Fear Radiation Dangers From Scanners

Bully_Pulpit
Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Social Lounge
WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) --- After wading through documents he secured with a Freedom Of Information Act filing, the Executive Director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, Marc Rotenberg told 9NEWS NOW, "We think that the Department of Homeland Security has not been forthcoming with the public about the true extent of radiation risk with the airport body scanners."

The release of new documents follows concerns of TSA workers that they are being exposed to dangerous levels of radiation as they conduct the screenings. Union representatives in Boston cite an increase in cancer cases among the TSA workforce there and have asked the agency to allow its members to wear radiation monitoring devices.

"The Department, rather than acting on it, or explaining its position seems to have just dismissed. I don't think that's the way most other agencies would have acted in a similar situation if they were confronted with that question," Rotenberg said.

Link to full article:
http://wusa9.com/news/article/156513/373/TSA-Workers-Fear-Radiation-Dangers-From-Scanners

Wow kinda ironic, isnt it? Anyone have an experience at airports with the body scanners??

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    i'm curious as to why TSA employees couldn't wear radiation monitoring devices of their own volition. in fact, i'm pretty sure they DO periodically do this, so maybe the issue should be "we don't trust the results we're told about this kind of thing."

...or it's some people trying to cash in on all the "? RADIATION" aspects of the machines. i am leaning towards this one.