Remember when...

Options
kanggoodie
kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in IllGaming
GTA 3 was a PS2 exclusive? imagine if Sony woulda held on to that and made Grand Theft Auto a flagship Sony exclusive title? it would be no question then that Playstation would be the best system to have... i still think that PS2 > XBOX and 360 > PS3 tho....

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? forget what Sony did for video games...

GTA3
    MGS2
    FFX

that was the golden years of the PS2 cycle...

then those ? wanted more money and went multiplat , 2/3companies lost their identities
    I dont think Gears of War or Uncharted would have been as popular if they were multiplat

PS2> Xbox
    PS3> Xbox 360... dont let sales fool you... Xbox is going the wii route and have one exclusive a year
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ps1 > ps3 > ps2 > xbox > 360
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    ? forget what Sony did for video games...

GTA3
    MGS2
    FFX

that was the golden years of the PS2 cycle...

MGS2? ? you serious? If you said MGS3 then I could get behind that but MGS2?

smh.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    ps2> ps3 > ps1 > xbox < 360

fixed.... for you
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? forget what DMA Design (Rockstar North), Konami and Squaresoft did for video games...

GTA3
    MGS2
    FFX

fixed.........
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    rofl PS3 is light years a head of the 360 and GTA had nothing to do with how great or how much the PS2 sold.GTA3 was also released on the Xbox.

It goes PS2>PS1>SNES>Genesis>NES>PS3>Dreamcast>N64>Atari 2600>GameCube>Saturn>>>Xbox>Xbox360>>>>>>>>>>>Wii

MS is the only company out of the major companies to NOT have a classic console.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No playstation did mgs
    Mgs2 was ? , doing cart wheels with a white sensitive ? while he's holding his genital with one hand I could do without in the franchise.
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    MGS2? ? you serious? If you said MGS3 then I could get behind that but MGS2?

smh.
    while MGS3 is a better game, MGS2 had hype and impact... in 2001 those three games came out and thats when Sony "Dreamcast"ed Sega
    stoneface wrote: »
    fixed.........

no ? SONY... if it wasnt for PS1 we would still be playing Mario like games on consoles... Playstation brought gaming to mainstream with the help of Rockstar, Konami and Squaresoft....

GTA, MGS, and Final Fantasy would not be where they are today without Sony and vice versa
  • One Spliff
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    rofl PS3 is light years a head of the 360 and GTA had nothing to do with how great or how much the PS2 sold.GTA3 was also released on the Xbox.

It goes PS2>PS1>SNES>Genesis>NES>PS3>Dreamcast>N64>Atari 2600>GameCube>Saturn>>>Xbox>Xbox360>>>>>>>>>>>Wii

MS is the only company out of the major companies to NOT have a classic console.

lmao @ dreamcast, atari, gamecube n saturn all being better than the xbox n 360...

how u figure ?
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It goes PS2>PS1>SNES>Genesis>NES>PS3>Dreamcast>N64>Atari 2600>GameCube>Saturn>>>Xbox>Xbox360>>>>>>>>>>>Wii.

lol @ that
    no ? SONY... if it wasnt for PS1 we would still be playing Mario like games on consoles... Playstation brought gaming to mainstream with the help of Rockstar, Konami and Squaresoft....

GTA, MGS, and Final Fantasy would not be where they are today without Sony and vice versa

Um, it was Nintendo who TRULY brought gaming to the mainstream with NES and games like Mario in the 80s, home gaming at least. ? , they arguably saved the video game industry after the crash. And I dont give credit to Sony for MGS, GTA and Final Fantasy X ,which, by the way is great but isnt even ? with FFIIII(VI) on SNES. They just had gave them the platform to put these games on. If it wasnt them it wouldve been someone else eventually. I give credit to the developers who actually made the games, I guess thats just me though.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lmao @ dreamcast, atari, gamecube n saturn all being better than the xbox n 360...

how u figure ?

for their respective generation.Atari was ground breaking.Dreamcast had better games and so did the Cube.The Saturn had some classic RPGs and better exclusives too.MS is ? in the video game industry and only gets by because of who they are.Face it if the Xbox was made by a no name or less popular company they would be out of the gaming industry.ROFL they can not even make decent version of Windows and the Zune and Windows phone are garbage.
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    lol @ that

Um, it was Nintendo who TRULY brought gaming to the mainstream with NES and games like Mario in the 80s, home gaming at least. ? , they arguably saved the video game industry after the crash. And I dont give credit to Sony for MGS, GTA and Final Fantasy X ,which, by the way is great but isnt even ? with FFIIII(VI) on SNES. They just had gave them the platform to put these games on. If it wasnt them it wouldve been someone else eventually. I give credit to the developers who actually made the games, I guess thats just me though.

Nintendo saved gaming but Sony is the reason that it is what it is today. Microsoft is the reason that its merged it online with other media...This isnt a debate if one game is better than another because if FFVI is better than the PS1 games, why havent it done numbers like the PS1 games? Why is square only known for games after FFVII? If Sony wasnt here we would have kid games from Nintendo, and extra ? games from PC. Sega would have had Sony's spot but they cant market games like Sony so we wouldnt have had a GTA to be this popular. If it wasnt for Sony games like Heavy Rain would never had been developed... Its doesnt matter who the developers are, if you dont have a good marketing team behind you youre nothing. Think of it like Magic or Kobe with the Lakers... had they not have been on the Lakers they would have still put up the stats but they would not have been considered the GOATs if they were on a team like the Spurs... Put Tim Duncan on the Lakers he would be more popular than he is today...
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Halo changed changed FPS games tho
    u cant deny that

Goldeneye changed FPS games for consoles... Halo brought it to mainstream and killed the RPG genre...
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Correction Microsoft brought PC games to mainstream... I would have never played Oblivion, Bioshock, and Fallout if it wasnt for PC going multiplat...
  • VulcanRaven
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Halo changed changed FPS games tho
    u cant deny that

Half-Life????

If anything Halo ruined the genre by turning into the generic repetitive multiplayer driven ? that it s today. I remember when FPS used to be great single player games that were actually creative before Halo.

FY to stoneface,Sony made MGS,GTA and FF house hold games.Nintendo could not even blow up FF or any third party franchise as evident today.Only there first party titles ever sold. Truth is no one has blew up more franchises than Sony.They blew up Resident Evil,Madden NBA2k,Rockband,DMC,Silent Hill,Tales and a list of other franchises.Sony created a market for the adult gamer.I would not even be playing games today if t was not for them.As for Ninty saving gaming,that is debatable because people wold have bought the Atari 5200 or Master System if there was no NES and Nintendo games would have just been third party or Atari would have bought them out.Mario was released on the Atari before the NES after all.
  • One Spliff
    edited October 2011
    Options
    for their respective generation.Atari was ground breaking.Dreamcast had better games and so did the Cube.The Saturn had some classic RPGs and better exclusives too.MS is ? in the video game industry and only gets by because of who they are.Face it if the Xbox was made by a no name or less popular company they would be out of the gaming industry.ROFL they can not even make decent version of Windows and the Zune and Windows phone are garbage.

i agree somewhat to an extent...

but if u rating consoles according to their respective generation...then how is the ps2 ahead of the ps1 ?...ps1 had more classics n groundbreaking titles.
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i agree somewhat to an extent...

but if u rating consoles according to their respective generation...then how is the ps2 ahead of the ps1 ?...ps1 had more classics n groundbreaking titles.

PS1 vs PS2 is debatable for me because my favorite game of all time is on the PS1 but PS2 has better games

PS1 more groundbreaking
    PS2 more classics

PS2 started with Tekken Tag and ended with ? of War 2... you cant beat that
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited October 2011
    Options
    64>>>>>PS1 tho
    and Halo did change fps
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nintendo saved gaming but Sony is the reason that it is what it is today. Microsoft is the reason that its merged it online with other media...This isnt a debate if one game is better than another because if FFVI is better than the PS1 games, why havent it done numbers like the PS1 games? Why is square only known for games after FFVII? If Sony wasnt here we would have kid games from Nintendo, and extra ? games from PC. Sega would have had Sony's spot but they cant market games like Sony so we wouldnt have had a GTA to be this popular. If it wasnt for Sony games like Heavy Rain would never had been developed... Its doesnt matter who the developers are, if you dont have a good marketing team behind you youre nothing. Think of it like Magic or Kobe with the Lakers... had they not have been on the Lakers they would have still put up the stats but they would not have been considered the GOATs if they were on a team like the Spurs... Put Tim Duncan on the Lakers he would be more popular than he is today...

LOL. Wow. Where does one begin?

- Sony had nothing to do with the development or the marketing of GTA IV. That's the publishers and game developers job, not the console manufactures.
    - So, none of the Final Fantasy's before 7 mattered? LOL
    - Sony is good at marketing now? LMAO
    - "It doesnt matter who the developers are." SMH
  • One Spliff
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PS1 vs PS2 is debatable for me because my favorite game of all time is on the PS1 but PS2 has better games

PS1 more groundbreaking
    PS2 more classics

PS2 started with Tekken Tag and ended with ? of War 2... you cant beat that

final fantasy 7
    gran turismo
    resident evil
    metal gear solid
    grand theft auto

these 5 games alone make ps1 goat console.

ps2 had the sequels for these respective titles, and many other very good games...but not on the same level.
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    LOL. Wow. Where does one begin?

- Sony had nothing to do with the development or the marketing of GTA IV. That's the publishers and game developers job, not the console manufactures.
    - So, none of the Final Fantasy's before 7 mattered? LOL
    - Sony is good at marketing now? LMAO
    - "It doesnt matter who the developers are." SMH

So GTA III would have been popular on the Dreamcast, Nintendo, or PC?
    Youre telling me ? in the hood was playing final fantasy before 7?
    If Virtual Fighter 5 was exclusive to PS and Tekken was to Sega ? would be playing VF5 ( i like tekken btw)
    ? is begging for a FFVII remake not VI... and Konami wont let Kojima make another game cept MGS... MGS was not he first Metal Gear...lol
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So GTA III would have been popular on the Dreamcast, Nintendo, or PC?
    Youre telling me ? in the hood was playing final fantasy before 7?
    If Virtual Fighter 5 was exclusive to PS and Tekken was to Sega ? would be playing VF5 ( i like tekken btw)
    ? is begging for a FFVII remake not VI... and Konami wont let Kojima make another game cept MGS... MGS was not he first Metal Gear...lol

its the first good Metal Gear Game tho
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    final fantasy 7
    gran turismo
    resident evil
    metal gear solid
    grand theft auto

these 5 games alone make ps1 goat console.

ps2 had the sequels for these respective titles, and many other very good games...but not on the same level.

? of War
    Ico/SotC
    GTA III series ( even though i played GTA 2... it wasnt as popular as 3)
    MGS3>MGS (but MGS had more impact)
    Madden (espically when Vick was on the Cover)
    Jak and Dexter

PS1 had quality but PS2 had quantity... PS1 had a lot of duds too if you remember... ? didnt start going up till the games you mentioned toke off
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    its the first good Metal Gear Game tho

cant disagree with that... but MGS is Konamis cash cow... and thats off the success of the PS1 MGS
    not the PC and Nintendo original Metal Gear
  • One Spliff
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? of War
    Ico/SotC
    GTA III series ( even though i played GTA 2... it wasnt as popular as 3)
    MGS3>MGS (but MGS had more impact)
    Madden (espically when Vick was on the Cover)
    Jak and Dexter

PS1 had qualtiy but PS2 had quantity... PS1 had a lot of duds too if you remember... ? didnt start going up till FFVII toke off

true...

but ps1 had so many great games, i jus cant remember them all...cases wud ? , discs wud scratch, manuals wud tear, controllers wud smash and walls wud be punched...but it was goat console to me for all the memories.

n then u had the 'hacking' era...were u cud chip ya ps1 n cop games for 5er a pop...easily the best generation of gaming.

also games were HARD back then, cudnt jus beat a game in 4-5 hours...

most games for ps3 n 360 are made for beginners...with on screen direction at every turn.

*press X to jump*, then then *press square* to open door...

smh.