Occupy Wall Street's Race Problem.

Options
2»

Comments

• Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    There were infiltrators in the civil rights movement too and it still succeeded overall. MLK Jr was called a Communist and anti-American by many during his day, and look how revered he is now. My point is people have to keep pushing for change if we want justice for the poor and middle class, we can't let money and outside forces dissuade us. Otherwise, who the ? else is going to push for real change??!!

Theres only so much ? can do from behind a computer, we gotta take action and demand change in public!

I agree with the last part wholeheartedly but remember the revolution will not be televised, the true movement must be clandestine. IMO the civil rights movement didnt succeed overall, we as black race have regressed if anything black pride has all but evaporated.

What them OWS folks dont get is the most effective way to buck the system is not protesting but keeping their wallets in their pockets, dont spend any money and that will send a much clearer message.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I think you and those who think like you should be exported to North Africa. I swear to ? (for me that's unusual) you hip hop culture types seriously need to find another country to live in....cause you sure as hell don't appreciate this one. FYI not only are black folks not better off...most white people are losing more ground every day & they can't hide behind there skin color & snivel there lives away.

so you telling us black people to go back to africa? thats racist :(
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I agree with the last part wholeheartedly but remember the revolution will not be televised, the true movement must be clandestine. IMO the civil rights movement didnt succeed overall, we as black race have regressed if anything black pride has all but evaporated.

What them OWS folks dont get is the most effective way to buck the system is not protesting but keeping their wallets in their pockets, dont spend any money and that will send a much clearer message.

Black pride isn't what it used to be but I still think most Black people have at least some semblance of pride. The civil rights movement wasnt perfect but it still has more pros than cons. The main con was Blacks now being less self reliant but the pros include lower poverty and more freedom. As bad as things seem sometimes, we still have more freedoms than our ancestors did!!!

As far as the OWS movement, many of us are not spending money on crooked organizations like Bank of America and other banks/corporations that are increasing fees. Tons of people have removed their money from large banks but yeah we could do more of course. You're a smart dude, if you have any ideas to improve things join a protest near you and express your grievance. As I've said before, theres room for all opinions.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    And to those saying movements dont change anything, ask Nelson Mandela if apartheid ended.......

apartheid ended but south africans are not better off. they just traded one bad situation for another. its gully AS ? down there where the native africans and "coloreds" stay. when there is a space shared by two different ethnicities and one of them is there by force integration never works.
  • stillmatic_01
    stillmatic_01 Members Posts: 113
    edited October 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    i really feel like it may have started with a few sincere people but now the whole thing reeks of some kind of covert operation. when has protesting and ? EVER yielded results as large as are demanded? ? , even after all that sitting in and ? black folks in america are not better off. just ? over in another kind of way. smh @ muthafuckas still thinking the u.s is a real democracy. that ? been dead and the economy been dead since 1933. you muthafuckas better start learning how to grow food find water , build homes and clothe yourselves cause all that picketing and 'civil unrest" is a waste of energy.this will serve a historical lessons for generations to come that when u start something off wrong (like the u.s.) it will crumble horribly.

CO-SIGN.

also one thing u might of forgot was SELF-DEFENSE.

I know you are a religious and maybe don't want to advocate this but it is important for Black-African descent people [especially in America] to learn how to use (and if possible) own firearms as well as take up a martial art in preparation for.............
  • stillmatic_01
    edited October 2011
    Options
    kingblaze84, do u actually believe this nonsense you typed? really?

Good points but now that some whites are finally seeing how unfair the system is, it could help blacks and all races in the long run because finally change could happen that would impact the avg person. Examples being more low income housing, some debt forgiveness, and an ending to the war in Afghanistan so money spent there can finally be spent here. Not saying its gonna happen quickly but if this movement holds its ground and people keep participating, things can change for the better. That's why so many Black civil rights leaders have embraced this movement, everyone can be helped if we just keep pushing for change. We cant give up now.....the OWS movement really won me over when I saw so many of the protestors speaking up on racism and the police, issues Blacks have mentioned for decades. Theres room for everyone in this, any issues that we have can be brought to the spotlight if Blacks start participating more.

stop dreaming and get your head out of the clouds
  • stillmatic_01
    edited October 2011
    Options
    kzzl wrote:
    The race problem is them white households getting what they want and it's right back to the way it was. They're gonna shut they doors in our faces and lock them. Just like they been doing. White folks with white problems. They don't stand up for ? , but now they want bodies for they little movement. Good luck with that, I say.

C/S

People actually think the rich & wealthy aka 1% are going to adhere the demands of OWS demands? Most of those OWS protestors are angry because they have realized the rug has been pulled from right under them. OWS are calling for accountability and reform they don't seem to want real change to the way the system is set-up. Black people are gonna feel real stupid when they find out who the real beneficiaries of this movement are...because it's not going to be us.
  • judahxulu
    edited October 2011
    Options
    CO-SIGN.

also one thing u might of forgot was SELF-DEFENSE.

I know you are a religious and maybe don't want to advocate this but it is important for Black-African descent people [especially in America] to learn how to use (and if possible) own firearms as well as take up a martial art in preparation for.............

not religious and i dont disagree with self-defense although im not particularly fond of being dependent on firearms as there are other more effective means.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2011
    Options
    kingblaze84, do u actually believe this nonsense you typed? really?

stop dreaming and get your head out of the clouds

Yep let's just sit at home, type ? online and pretend everything in America is just fine. That'll show them
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    apartheid ended but south africans are not better off. they just traded one bad situation for another. its gully AS ? down there where the native africans and "coloreds" stay. when there is a space shared by two different ethnicities and one of them is there by force integration never works.

So apartheid was just fine and dandy huh? Nelson Mandela should still be in jail for standing up to whites? White farmers should still keep stealing farmland from Black farmers?

Blacks and others should have just let apartheid continue huh? You sound like Herman Cain right now.......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/28/herman-cain-occupy-wall-street_n_1063703.html

Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain shot down the efforts of the Occupy Wall Street protesters Thursday, telling them to "go home and get a job and a life" while speaking to a crowd in Arkansas.
  • judahxulu
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So apartheid was just fine and dandy huh? Nelson Mandela should still be in jail for standing up to whites? White farmers should still keep stealing farmland from Black farmers?

Blacks and others should have just let apartheid continue huh? You sound like Herman Cain right now.......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/28/herman-cain-occupy-wall-street_n_1063703.html

Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain shot down the efforts of the Occupy Wall Street protesters Thursday, telling them to "go home and get a job and a life" while speaking to a crowd in Arkansas.
    no it wasnt fine and dandy. the point is it should have never existed because those that instituted shouldnt have been there and definitely should not have remained after apartheid ende. moreover there are equally and more dangerous social conditions that exist in this post-apartheid era thusly getting rid of apartheid was not getting rid of the problems. like african-americans after slavery, south africans are in need of cultural rehabilitation and intense unlearning of foereign influence in their own space. gain some reading comprehension. how could u be so stupid to thin i was co-signing apartheid?? white farmers dont have to steal anymore land- they own it legally vis-a-vis a structurally illegitimate system. what im saying is if the afrikaaners were not expelled and the whole social structure upturned and not just cosmetically altered then apartheid ending was a mere pittance and not an end to the woes of native south africans created by the children of foreign invaders.

and btw nelson mandela sold out.they broke him down in prison. winnie mandela was the real revolutionary all the time.you have a real superficial understanding about politics and history but its hilarious because u think u got a good bead on things. lol