Urban Myths, Legends, and Truths about the Sports World (spin-off)

Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Because this thread worked so well in the Reason, I thought we could bring that here: I'm sure this thread should do gargantuan numbers based off the ESPN book alone, but here goes:

Questions I have:
Wasn't it true that Jeter and Jordan put Tiger on to that wild ? he got himself into?
Whjo won that locker room fight between T.O. and Hugh Douglas back in the 2004-05 diaster season of the Eagles?

Stuff that's thought to be true
There's a boatload a homosexual players in each league - but it seems that the NBA and NFL are chocked full of them. Stevie Francis and Cuttino Mobley are the first that come to mind.

Stuff proven to be true
Shaq is a man-? ...out here ? other ? women *cough cough* Gilbert's woman *cough cough*, and a bit of a ? for stealing Steve Nash's "Vs" idea and turning it into his own.

Comments

• Pusskaveli
    Pusskaveli Members Posts: 1,562
    edited October 2011
    TO lost that fight

Shaq slapped kobe in practice
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if its true or not but it is out there that Michael Jordan's first retirement wasnot a retirement but a suspension swept under the rug for gambling
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if its true or not but it is out there that Michael Jordan's first retirement wasnot a retirement but a suspension swept under the rug for gambling

I think between that and his pops getting off'd for that ? kinda made Mike have to lay low off the NBA for awhile.

LOL @ the Madden Curse. That's why I laughed when Vick didn't win that ? .
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Questions I have:
    Whjo won that locker room fight between T.O. and Hugh Douglas back in the 2004-05 diaster season of the Eagles?
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5058678

The Terrell Owens' saga has taken perhaps its most absurd turn yet. While he was suspended for comments made Thursday, that was not his most outrageous action of that day.

Terrell's fighting words

NFL Insider Jay Glazer gives the story of T.O.'s locker room fight. After trading punches in the training room, the suspended wide receiver challenged the entire locker room.

Owens actually fought Pro Bowl defensive end and current Eagles ambassador Hugh Douglas in the team's rehab room late Thursday and then issued a challenge to fight several other teammates afterward. The Trenton Times first reported the story Sunday morning.

Those present told FOXSports.com, while Owens was in the pool rehabilitating his injured ankle, Douglas came into the area and began to get on the outspoken wide receiver.

The two jawed back and forth before, believe it or not, Owens got out of the pool and went to get his sneakers on in order to get traction to throw some blows.

When he came back, with shoes on, Owens and Douglas started swinging. Douglas said both sides only threw a couple punches and none landed.
    Several players, most getting treatment, tried to separate the pair, but Owens started throwing those players off of him to get at Douglas again.

Owens shed his teammates and kept going after Douglas before L.J. Smith got Douglas into another area. One swing by Owens was described as a shot that would have done major damage had it landed.

The fight, which was deemed "unbelievable" by some present, is just the latest tale in the bizarre soap opera that has been Owens' season. However, Owens' bizarre afternoon didn't end there.

Following his fight with Douglas, a still-amped Owens walked into the locker room and issued a challenge to fight any player who wants to continue to talk behind his back. Although there were several players in the locker room, most believed his challenge was directed toward quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Basically, Owens said, and this is to paraphrase, that anyone else who talks behind his back who wants to step up should do it now, this is the time to take him on and he could handle it the way he did with Douglas. When nobody moved from their stools, Owens said something to the effect of, "That's what I thought" and walked out.

This is not the first time Owens and Douglas got into a heated exchange, although it's the first time punches were thrown. During training camp, FOXSports.com first reported that Owens and Douglas had a verbal altercation in an elevator with McNabb regarding the trio's tumultuous relationship. At the time, Douglas threatened to hit Owens but didn't follow through.
    Former Philadelphia Eagles special-teamer Jason Short spoke to NBC's Out Of Bounds about things he remembers from his playing days like concussions, wedge-busting, Iggles fans, concussions, Sean Morey's concussions, and concussions. But one section about T.O. is pretty hilarious.

Some of you may remember the infamous Terrell Owens/Hugh Douglas tussle, which came during the last, merciful days of T.O.'s time as an Eagle. Short was present the day Douglas decided to make Owens atone for his mouth.

Here's his recollection:

If you remember at one time him and Hugh Douglas got into a fight, not in the locker room, but in the room where they had the underwater treadmill. They got into it and all of a sudden you see T.O. hitting the button and he's rising out of the water and when he gets out they start getting into it. They were about to fight and T.O. goes, "Let me go get my shoes."

It was about to be on, man! It was so hilarious!

Okay, that's just amazing. I don't think I'll ever be able to erase the image in my head of Owens slowly "rising out of the water" from the underwater treadmill to confront an enraged Douglas and then delivering the Eastwood-like "Let me go get my shoes..." line. Published reports about the fight say both men landed a couple of punches before T.O. got all "ANYBODYELSEWANTSOME?!?" to his teammates before things settled down. With Short's version, you have to wonder if T.O. would have been brave enough to take on all of his teammates had he been barefoot.

I don't think anyone won, but if someone loss it doesn't seem like it was T.O., I know Hugh is gonna be professional about it on First Take but the one time he spoke on it during the show he certainly didn't make it seem like he won either.

That ? is funny about him slowly "rising out of the water" to go get his shoes to come back and fight.. lol
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Collusion amongst NBA owners to stay clear of Allen Iverson.

Collusion amongst NBA owners to stay clear of Craig Hodges after his "White House incident."

Collusion amongst NFL owners to stay away from Aaron Brooks after he left the Raiders (due to his comments that were critical about Saints owner Tom Benson, after Hurricane Katrina).
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    damn
    i knew it

Aaron Brooks was blacklisted

I been wondering that

Dude was not a bad QB. How the hell could he not make it on to a roster.

Knew it was some other ? to it
  • cobbland
    edited October 2011
    young law wrote: »
    damn
    i knew it

Aaron Brooks was blacklisted

I been wondering that

Dude was not a bad QB. How the hell could he not make it on to a roster.

Knew it was some other ? to it

Yeah he was 31 when he left the Raiders, and he's 35 now.

Not to old by NFL standards when "bums" like Todd Collins were still collecting checks on the Bears last season.

Collins ? ass has 22 touchdown passes to 24 interceptions after 16 years in the NFL, compared to Brooks having 123 touchdown passes, 92 interceptions in 8 seasons, 1 of which was spent on the bench in Green Bay.
    If that’s the case, why isn’t he playing? With quarterbacks dropping right and left, and replacements like the 43-year-old Vinny Testaverde being taken out of the mothballs, I began to wonder why Brooks wasn’t on an N.F.L. roster. At 31, Brooks is still young by quarterback standards, and the handful of general managers I spoke with since Wednesday agreed that he was above average. So why?

Brooks’s friends and family ask the same question.

“They ask, ‘Why aren’t you playing?’” Brooks said. “They see all of these quarterbacks getting injured and want to know: ‘Why aren’t you getting calls? Why aren’t you in camp?’ I don’t know what to say, but yeah, it hits me from time to time.

“I don’t know. Is it something I said?” Could be.

Brooks may still be serving time for the comments he made in 2005 when the Saints, like New Orleans itself, were demoralized by unimaginable upheavals caused by Katrina.

The Saints split their home schedule between Baton Rouge, La., and San Antonio, where the team set up temporary headquarters. They worked out on a high school practice field, used a high school baseball locker room and lifted weights in a makeshift exercise room in a tent in a nearby parking lot. Then the team was displaced from its headquarters by an N.C.A.A. volleyball tournament.

Brooks had had enough. During an interview with CBS, he blasted the N.F.L. and the Saints’ owner, Tom Benson, pointing out that for someone who stands to make $600 million from the sale of the team, “I don’t think a couple million would hurt to make his team feel very comfortable every week.” Brooks added: “And for those who don’t understand, come down here to San Antonio and see what our conditions are like. It’s just bad.”

Brooks said he felt the league politicized the Saints’ “home opener” at Giants Stadium and was angry when he saw Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and officials from New Orleans and New York City on the field before that game. He felt Tagliabue should have visited the Saints’ players in the weeks after the hurricane.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/sports/football/27rhoden.html
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Bill Cartwright threatened to break Michael Jordan's legs if he ever talked down to him like Jordan had a habit of doing to his teammates

Ron Artest broke Jordan's rib during a pickup game when Jordan was planning to make a comeback with the wizards

Villanova bball player Corey Fisher impregnated teammate scottie Reynolds' gf which caused a late season swoon from a top ranked team and an eventual early round ncaa tournament exit

Kobe punched samaki walker on the team bus
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Because this thread worked so well in the Reason, I thought we could bring that here: I'm sure this thread should do gargantuan numbers based off the ESPN book alone, but here goes:

Questions I have:
    Wasn't it true that Jeter and Jordan put Tiger on to that wild ? he got himself into?

Stuff that's thought to be true
    There's a boatload a homosexual players in each league - but it seems that the NBA and NFL are chocked full of them. Stevie Francis and Cuttino Mobley are the first that come to mind.

Stuff proven to be true
    Shaq is a man-? ...out here ? other ? women *cough cough* Gilbert's woman *cough cough*, and a bit of a ? for stealing Steve Nash's "Vs" idea and turning it into his own.

I knew tiger was ? around when he was at the colts vs dolphins in miami game in 2009 standing on the colts sideline......? just didnt look right
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    the 1985 NBA Draft was rigged to land Pat Ewing in NY
  • htowntx
    edited October 2011
    allegedly troy aikman is a ? and skip bayless alluded to the fact in his book on the 90s cowboys(skip knew all the ins and outs of the boys since he covered them and wrote two books on them) aikman took offense and hates bayless to this day
  • Pusskaveli
    Pusskaveli Members Posts: 1,562
    edited October 2011
    the 2003 NBA Draft was rigged to land LeBron James in CLE

• ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Pusskaveli wrote: »

that too good correction lol
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    and im still on the fence about jordan's dad being killed over a debt

1) its jordan. i dont think it was an amount he couldnt pay

2)The dudes who did it dont seem like they even knew were they were doin or who they were robbing.
  • htowntx
    edited October 2011
    Ray Allen and kobe really don't like each other, like they got legit beef but league insiders don't know why

Many speculate that it may be behind a ?
  • cobbland
    edited October 2011
    Tim Couch and ? ass Cade McNown, LOL.
    With the news that Tim Couch will be attempting a comeback, it brought to mind a story of epic proportions. It combines two huge NFL busts, two Playmates of the Year and someone getting banned from the Playboy Mansion. Thats a triangle you'll probably never see again. A Los Angeles Times report says Cade was a frequent visitor to the Playboy Mansion, where he managed to do the ultimate by stealing Hugh Hefner's girlfriend, Brande Roderick, who was 1999's Miss April.

Hef was so angry that he permanently banned McNown from the Mansion. That relationship didn't last long. Brande vacationed with McNown in Mexico, and now she's now doing "Baywatch" in Hawaii.

Being banned from the Mansion wasn't enough to stop our celibate stud. Cleveland QB Tim Couch was dating Playmate of the Year Heather Kozar when he made a big mistake by introducing her to McNown. According to Sports Illustrated, McNown began the kind of all-out blitz he can't handle as a QB -- phoning constantly, sending lots of flowers, even sending his Porsche to her. It worked, as Kozar dumped Couch and moved to Chicago to live with McNown. Cade still claims to be a devout Christian who doesn't even read Playboy magazine. "I've never even seen her layout," he says.

To top it all off, according to Couch's wikipedia, he wound getting back with Kozar and they ended up tying the knot in 2005 and had a kid six months later.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/cade_mcnown_is_banned_from_the_playboy_mansion/20711
    Tim is married to Playboy Playmate Heather Kozar, and is the father of two sons, Chase Scott (born August 5, 2005) and Brady Couch (born March 2009).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Couch
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    i have no idea what this thread was supposed to be about
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Would've guessed McNabb didn't want any parts in catching the fade from T.O lol
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I read this on legit website so I think its true.

When the Bills played the Cowboys in Pasadena, Ca in the 92-93 season they were in a club in LA and ran into Magic Johnson, Daryl Talley made a joke about his "situation" and got knocked out by one of Magic's bodyguards.

Also those Bills teams were heavy partiers and some( Bruce I know for sure) were coke users and thats believed to be the reason they never won a superbowl. I head stories of the Cowboys sending boards to the Bills hotel rooms during superbowl week, not sure how true this is.

Andre Reed was throwing the pipe to Jim Kelly's girl.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    htowntx wrote: »
    Ray Allen and kobe really don't like each other, like they got legit beef but league insiders don't know why

Allen shows he hates Kobe on the court. I will never forget how he smirked at Kobe in the finals, in his 1 good game that year.
    It was priceless.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    white715 wrote: »
    I read this on legit website so I think its true.

When the Bills played the Cowboys in Pasadena, Ca in the 92-93 season they were in a club in LA and ran into Magic Johnson, Daryl Talley made a joke about his "situation" and got knocked out by one of Magic's bodyguards.

Also those Bills teams were heavy partiers and some( Bruce I know for sure) were coke users and thats believed to be the reason they never won a superbowl. I head stories of the Cowboys sending boards to the Bills hotel rooms during superbowl week, not sure how true this is.

Andre Reed was throwing the pipe to Jim Kelly's girl.

no the reason they never won was because of a kicker

stop it lol
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Eugene Robinson was on his way to church. lol
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    htowntx wrote: »

It started when Ray was in Seattle during the offseason, he was critizing Kobe in an interview ( or something). Kobe being the sensitive man that he is called Ray and told hi next time he saw him he 'd bust his ass ( on and off the court). They been beefing ever since.... I gotta find that story its on the interwebs
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    It started when Ray was in Seattle during the offseason, he was critizing Kobe in an interview ( or something). Kobe being the sensitive man that he is called Ray and told hi next time he saw him he 'd bust his ass ( on and off the court). They been beefing ever since.... I gotta find that story its on the interwebs

appropriate response to someone talking ? about your game. prove it on the court