True of False: Prime Roy Jones Would Have Killed Mayweather and Pacquiao?

Options
arbitration
arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
I know that the move to HW for the Ruiz fight ? his career up. But gotdayum, in his heyday, no one was seeing Jones. Watch the clip and try to disagree.

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lol yes he would because he was bigger 160 lbs on up. Floyd started at 130 lbs and Manny 116.... its not a realistic matchup
  • arbitration
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Weren't Mayweather and Jones trying to settle at a catchweight to fight tho?
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I think Jones in his prime P4P would be able to ? with just about anybody imo even if his d was suspect
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    yeah jones owned the 90's.

but he was a light heavyweight
  • arbitration
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Am I getting Alzheimer's? I could have sworn that Mayweather and Jones had an argument after one of Jones's fight as to how much it would cost to get the two of them in the ring. Maybe I'm thinking someone else.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    In his prime RJJ had the fastest hands ever I think... its a ? shame what he has done to his legacy.
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    yeah jones owned the 90's.

but he was a light heavyweight

started as a middleweight though bruh dominated that too
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    In his prime RJJ had the fastest hands ever I think... its a ? shame what he has done to his legacy.

the best combo of punching power and hand speed i have ever seen
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Am I getting Alzheimer's? I could have sworn that Mayweather and Jones had an argument after one of Jones's fight as to how much it would cost to get the two of them in the ring. Maybe I'm thinking someone else.

lmaooo c'mon bruh, you thinking about B-Quit
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Man that was a goat time for boxing

I remember when everybody was hyped for the rjj and trinidad super fight.....top 2 p4pers, light heavyweight and middleweight champs were gonna collide to see who was the best fighter

And then ? ass Hopkins ? ? up by beating Trinidad....and them the ? wanted a 50-50 split for the rematch with Roy even tho Roy beat him and was the faaaar bigger name but Hopkins balked and a 60-40 split so the super fight didn't happen until it was too ? late and was a travesty
  • htowntx
    edited October 2011
    Options
    idk wtf t/s is talking bout tho
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    major pain wrote: »

During that Reggie Johnson fight, where Jones hit him with the left hook straight right combination, I thought the tape skipped, even though it was live.
    At the 0:30 mark
  • aneed123
    edited October 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    During that Reggie Johnson fight, where Jones hit him with the left hook straight right combination, I thought the tape skipped, even though it was live.
    At the 0:30 mark

dat combo he hit Vinnie PAz with was crazy... the body shot that broke Virgil Hills ribs was sick too. I forget the fighter but Roy hit one cat with a right hand and he was rollin on the ground like he was dead lol
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Who was Roy fighting when he broke both hands (I think)? I know he broke at least one, but duke wouldnt go down.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lmaooo watch this interview from after that Reggie Johnson fight, Roy did it all

Foretelling quote by Johnson at the end "He do a lot of things wrong but his handspeed make up for it"
  • arbitration
    edited October 2011
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »

I remember when everybody was hyped for the rjj and trinidad super fight.....top 2 p4pers, light heavyweight and middleweight champs were gonna collide to see who was the best fighter

And then ? ass Hopkins ? ? up by beating Trinidad....and them the ? wanted a 50-50 split for the rematch with Roy even tho Roy beat him and was the faaaar bigger name but Hopkins balked and a 60-40 split so the super fight didn't happen until it was too ? late and was a travesty
    idk wtf t/s is talking bout tho

Oh that's what the dispute I was talkin about, man I misremembered. Gotdayum, I'm getting old, lol.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hop was a ? for that but those were epic times in boxing, late nineties to mid 2000's lightweight to middleweight was the ? , between hop and his reign as champ, barrera vs morales trilogy, de la hoyas ? ass was lighting it up, gatti vs ward trilogy, trinidad beasting on dudes till he met hop, retired came back and started beasting again till he met winky, mosley was doing his thing, you had characters like vargas and mayorga who werent great fighters but made for some great fights, kostya tszyu, zab lol, cotto, pacquiao and mayweather obviously, castillo vs corrales, i know im missing somebody but i miss those days, i was always tuned in, i been out the loop in recent years
  • htowntx
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hop was a ? for that but those were epic times in boxing, late nineties to mid 2000's lightweight to middleweight was the ? , between hop and his reign as champ, barrera vs morales trilogy, de la hoyas ? ass was lighting it up, gatti vs ward trilogy, trinidad beasting on dudes till he met hop, retired came back and started beasting again till he met winky, mosley was doing his thing, you had characters like vargas and mayorga who werent great fighters but made for some great fights, kostya tszyu, zab lol, cotto, pacquiao and mayweather obviously, castillo vs corrales, i know im missing somebody but i miss those days, i was always tuned in, i been out the loop in recent years
    Co ? sign.....boxing ain't ? now compared to then

Now everything is riding on mayweather/pac man ain't ? else interesting
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Prince Nassem Hamed had his little run
  • htowntx
    edited October 2011
    Options
    that tszyu-zab fight ? me up tho

I was a huge zab fan and I just knew he was gonna blow through tszyu
  • Just2C
    edited October 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    lol yes he would because he was bigger 160 lbs on up. Floyd started at 130 lbs and Manny 116.... its not a realistic matchup

^^^^^^this right here.
  • aneed123
    edited October 2011
    Options
    90s Pea, Roy, Toney, Terry Norris, Floyd, Mosley, Tito, Oscar, Barrea, Morrales, Holyfield, Tyson,Lennox, Hopkins
  • Just2C
    edited October 2011
    Options
    90s Pea, Roy, Toney, Terry Norris, Floyd, Mosley, Tito, Oscar, Barrea, Morrales, Holyfield, Tyson,Lennox, Hopkins

I was just about to saw Whitaker
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dat combo he hit Vinnie PAz with was crazy... the body shot that broke Virgil Hills ribs was sick too. I forget the fighter but Roy hit one cat with a right hand and he was rollin on the ground like he was dead lol

That was Art Serwano
    At the 1:43 mark
  • aneed123
    edited October 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    That was Art Serwano
    At the 1:43 mark

lol thats it