R.I.P Nintendo??? (long read)

Options
ocelot
ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in IllGaming
Nintendo's creeping doom: how the company came to misplace $926 million
by Russ Pitts

3ds810.jpg
More terrible news from Japan: Nintendo has posted a $926 million loss for the first half of the fiscal year ending in March 2012. Take a second look at that number. That's 926 million dollars. As in "very close to a billion."

The sheer volume of that amount of cash is staggering. In ones, it would fill a room roughly the size of the one Scrooge McDuck uses to hold his gold. Now imagine simply handing that money over to ... someone. Iwata, perhaps. The point is, you had it and now it's gone. Sucks, right? OK, now you know how Nintendo feels. It gets worse.

While Nintendo regularly loses money in the first half of the fiscal year (that's the period between April and September, approximately) last year it only lost $26 million (a chunk the size of Scrooge's bathroom). This year, then, it lost about $900 million more than last. That's a 3000% percent increase in its decrease, for those who like numbers.

"OK," you might say. "So what? This is Nintendo. It'll make it up over the holidays, like most game companies." And, apart from being a bit pretentiously cavalier about other people's money, you'd be correct. Except, here's the problem with that: Every year for the past 30 years, no matter how much money Nintendo has lost in the first half of the fiscal year, it's shown a profit for the year as a whole. Every year. Except for this one.

Nintendo is now projecting that it will post a total loss of $264 million for the fiscal year, Its first red year since at least 1981. Ouch. To quote Fred Willard from A Mighty Wind, "Eh? Wha'happen?"

Nintendo is blaming the strong yen for its losses, which is a typically diplomatic, Japanese way of saying "the US dollar is in the toilet." And since most of its Japanese plastic is exchanged for US dollars, a strong yen compared to a weak dollar will dramatically shrink its revenues. It's also blaming poor sales of the 3DS, which is spot on. It's the first device it's rolled out in a decade that hasn't flown off the shelves. But there's also a third reason, and one it isn't talking about, but should.
nintendoresults1027.jpg
First, let's look at the problems with the yen. As a Japanese company, Nintendo pays its executives, administrative staff and suppliers in yen, but its income, derived, as it is, largely from purchases of their products in the US, comes mainly in dollars. As the value of the dollar shrinks compared to an increasingly valuable yen, the amount of money it owes increases while the amount of money it is taking in decreases. Simply put, it could be selling the same number of products and employing the same number of workers, but the changes in value of the two respective currencies with which it does business means it makes less money in the process. These are the dangers of a globalized economy.

This global economic hoodoo is also a key component of the long-enjoyed success of Nintendo (and other Japanese companies). The global economic collapse starting in 2008 marked the first time in 20+ years that the yen has held a long-term advantage over the dollar. Meaning that for much of its existence as a company, Nintendo has been able to design and build their products relatively cheaply and sell them for a relative premium. For the past three years however, the local Japanese currency has been stronger than that of their principal market, which could ironically destroy the market for Japanese electronics, including Nintendo's.

Currency devaluation, while serious, is not the most serious issue facing Nintendo right now.

While a strong currency is good for consumer nations, like the US, for nations with a largely export-driven economy, like Japan, having strong currency is extremely dangerous in the short term. It would be similar to the situation we'd face in the US if Mexican money suddenly skyrocketed in value versus the dollar. Americans would be swimming over the border to Mexico to make a quick peso, and Mexican goods would immediately increase in price.

Currency devaluation, while serious, is not the most serious issue facing Nintendo right now. Neither is it the most serious issue Nintendo's willing to own up to -- that would be the shortcomings of the 3DS.

While the 3DS device made an impressive showing at E3 2010, initial sales were underwhelming enough to prompt a price reduction less than six months after its release. The magic company that, for the past decade, could do no wrong had made a misstep and, according to its earnings report, it cost Nintendo severely. To the tune of $926 million, more or less.

Exactly how and why the 3DS failed to set the world on fire will have to be a topic for another day, but it's easy to see how Nintendo led itself down that primrose path. In the seven years since the DS platform was released, the company has produced five different models, and each and every one of them has done nothing but print money. Except the successor, the 3DS. Yeah, that hurts, but it's still not Nintendo's core problem.

So what is it then? It's the games, stupid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can build the best, most advanced and most visually appealing hardware ever devised by man and you will still crash and burn if you do not follow through with great games. This is a mistake that cost Sega their hardware business. It's also a trap that Nintendo has fallen into on three separate platforms, the GameCube, the Wii and now the 3DS.

While there are plenty of playable (and quite good) games available for the DS system, having games at all is not enough to compete in an increasingly broadening and competitive games market. Most of the major sellers on both Nintendo's Wii and DS platforms were, by necessity, platform exclusive. The DS family has additionally suffered from dramatic competition in the "in transit" demographic from Apple's iOS devices, where games are easier to come by and vastly less expensive.

Absent the company's traditional crutches of a strong yen and an innovative hardware lineup, the importance of remaining competitive with in-demand core game experiences is a fact of life in the games industry that Nintendo now has to seriously come to terms with. It can think about this while pacing around in the empty room that used to hold its $926 million.

Comments

• ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've been saying this ? since the Wii came out...

Nintendo has boxed themselves in and are not making new games...
    they deserted their loyal ? fans and went casual
    now they need gimmicks to sell...

Funny that the same company they screwed over(Sony) is probably going to buy them out
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The 3DS was the nail in the coffin... nothing but a bunch of rehashed "3D" versions of games that have already been released. The motion control for the Wii is nothing but a gimmick mostly utilized by whatever ? shovelware games are released. Most of the people who bought the Wii probably don't even play it anymore so they aren't buying games for it. The black Wii that my dad, the target audience, bought is grey from all the dust...
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »
    The 3DS was the nail in the coffin... nothing but a bunch of rehashed "3D" versions of games that have already been released. The motion control for the Wii is nothing but a gimmick mostly utilized by whatever ? shovelware games are released. Most of the people who bought the Wii probably don't even play it anymore so they aren't buying games for it. The black Wii that my dad, the target audience, bought is grey from all the dust...

The Wii U will be the nail in the coffin...

investors have already jumped ship
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    same thing that happen to Sega is now happening to Nintendo... but worst...

and rumor has it that nintendo said that if they went belly up then they would stop making software games all together...
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Well I hope it doesn't happen until they release the new Zelda.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »

damn smh i hope they can manage cause they will be in last place again when it comes to technology when ps4 and the new xbox drops smh..... doesn't IBM help them with their hardware????
    ocelot wrote: »
    The Wii U will be the nail in the coffin...

investors have already jumped ship

it will smh look at sega they don't even make software anymore now lol the virtua fighter 5 is the only game i see that is a new sega game.... sonic failed miserably is like their juice is running out and the streets want shenmue 3 but they will never get it due to how poorly sega is doing right now !
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    intalect wrote: »
    it will smh look at sega they don't even make software anymore now lol the virtua fighter 5 is the only game i see that is a new sega game.... sonic failed miserably is like their juice is running out and the streets want shenmue 3 but they will never get it due to how poorly sega is doing right now !

and its sad too I grew up on Nintendo but once I saw what they did with Wii I knew this was going to happen. The Wii was a slap to everyones face and ? was eating that ? up. Sega stopped making good games till the Dreamcast came but by that time Sony was king. (VF5 is my ? tho)
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    and its sad too I grew up on Nintendo but once I saw what they did with Wii I knew this was going to happen. The Wii was a slap to everyones face and ? was eating that ? up. Sega stopped making good games till the Dreamcast came but by that time Sony was king. (VF5 is my ? tho)

yeah man i wish that would have never happen to sega to be honest and i wish microsoft would have never even stepped in the game! Nintendo will suffer greatly from the vita and from the new ps4 and xbox smh ..... They have to keep up and reinvent themselves the Wii-U is a step backwards
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Well this is what happens when you abandon the ? audieance for the casual fan......I mean everybody knows casual fans are casual for a reason....once the wow factor wears off then who's gonna buy your product?......when that ? first dropped the only people who were talkin about that ? were people who didnt know ? about games....nintendo better get back on its ? .....and release good new creative games.....rehashing old ? is only gonna last so long
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    LOL.

This same discussion pops up every time any slightly bad news about Nintendo's fortunes come out and people who have zero understanding up business suddenly get amnesia and start claiming gloom and doom.

Nintendo is not SEGA...not even remotely close.
  • bankrupt baller
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    LOL.

This same discussion pops up every time any slightly bad news about Nintendo's fortunes come out and people who have zero understanding up business suddenly get amnesia and start claiming gloom and doom.

Nintendo is not SEGA...not even remotely close.
    explain it to us...the yen is higher than the dollar and they sell the most in America so you're losing money unless you're selling software
    Nintendo has no third party support and they don't make new games to keep interest up.... They can't keep doing the same thing and expect to make a profit
  • bankrupt baller
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lazy ? .

like i said here^
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    explain it to us...the yen is higher than the dollar and they sell the most in America so you're losing money unless you're selling software
    Nintendo has no third party support and they don't make new games to keep interest up.... They can't keep doing the same thing and expect to make a profit

Nah, I'm good. If you don't understand by now, you never will. If Nintendo is doomed, then all video game companies must be doomed. LOL.

Carry on...
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I am not a Wi fan but this is not good for gamers. Look at the Madden games, thats what no competition does.
  • bankrupt baller
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I am not a Wi fan but this is not good for gamers. Look at the Madden games, thats what no competition does.

let me guess 2k5 is the best right?
  • infamous118
    infamous118 Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    they'll be alright...
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Sony won

$ony dosnt have super mario money......

Samsung Won
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Focus knows the truth, even he doesn't stan Nintendo anywhere near as much as he did on the old IC.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? really think Nintendo about to fold? Word? Lmao
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Another victim of Apple....
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    ? really think Nintendo about to fold? Word? Lmao

you sell hardware at a lost... you make it up with software...
    nintendo is reselling their old games and are not making new ones and they dont have third party support

investors are jumping ship with every new announcement made....

If it wasnt for the Wii Nintendo wouldve already been gone

Sony and MS took the ?
    Apple took the casual

Who does nintendo have?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited October 2011
    Options
    you sell hardware at a lost... you make it up with software...
    nintendo is reselling their old games and are not making new ones and they dont have third party support

investors are jumping ship with every new announcement made....

If it wasnt for the Wii Nintendo wouldve already been gone

Sony and MS took the ?
    Apple took the casual

Who does nintendo have?

This is Nintendo we talking about my dude...Nintendo
  • ShencotheMC
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Begone foul peasant