Why couldn't Interscope market/promote Wale??

H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Reason

Why does it seem like small labels like Roc Nation and G.O.O.D music are better at marketing and promoting their artist while Atlantic and Interscope don't seem to have a clue??

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Majors don't develop artist anymore, and you need artist development with rappers. Not to mention credibility is everything in rap, rap fans can tell when something is fabricated (the Lady Gaga collabo). Not to also mention, majors are streamline in their thinking, they see what's working and try to replicate it.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Majors don't develop artist anymore, and you need artist development with rappers. Not to mention credibility is everything in rap, rap fans can tell when something is fabricated (the Lady Gaga collabo). Not to also mention, majors are streamline in their thinking, they see what's working and try to replicate it.

yea not ? once that lady ga ga collab came out wale lost all steam. ? was dead in the water from that point on. Wale himself didn't seem as motivated either
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    just because wale didnt do numbers on interscope doesnt mean they dont know how to promote
    interscope would not have lasted this long in the industry if they were unable to promote their artists
  • unbreakable
    unbreakable Members Posts: 391
    edited October 2011
  • usmarin3
    edited October 2011
    just because wale didnt do numbers on interscope doesnt mean they dont know how to promote
    interscope would not have lasted this long in the industry if they were unable to promote their artists

Interscope is good at promoting rock, pop, and "gangsta rap/ignorant" type artist. When have they ever broken a artist that wasn't on some gangbanging/aggressive type raps?
  • EuropeanAndWhite
    EuropeanAndWhite Members Posts: 520
    edited October 2011
    Majors don't develop artist anymore, and you need artist development with rappers.

this.

your just a number on a major label. and yeah, they are too big to react and instead they promote whatever worked in the past. they don't adapt really quick.
  • Bigavelli
    Bigavelli Members Posts: 3,465
    edited October 2011
    Interscope is good at promoting rock, pop, and "gangsta rap/ignorant" type artist. When have they ever broken a artist that wasn't on some gangbanging/aggressive type raps?

Eminem is the obvious

And he the highest selling Artist in Hip Hop ever and1 of the highest selling in all genres in recent times
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Speaking of which.... I was wondering, how did Wale get out of his interscope contract? He did 1 album and that was it..... How did he go from Interscope/Alldios(?)/Roc nation to MMG/Warner/Roc Nation so suddenly?
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    You was right bruh, Wale bout to blow up with this album. MMG was the best thing that ever happened to Wale. Ionknow what the hell Interscope was doing with dude.
  • Bigavelli
    edited October 2011
    You was right bruh, Wale bout to blow up with this album. MMG was the best thing that ever happened to Wale. Ionknow what the hell Interscope was doing with dude.

You think he can sell Gold or Platinum and make Singles that reach the top 10?

I can't see that ever happening he just not good enough to blow up like that
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    They couldn't market Charles Hamilton. They couldn't market Wale. Hell, they couldn't market 50 Cent after the public grew tired of the beef gimmick. Damn shame.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited October 2011

I agree.

They lucked-up with Dr Dre early in the game and basically been riding that wave every since...50-Cent, Game & Soulja-Boy are their most prized negros.

If you give them an unconventional artist like Wale who represents the average Black man on a college campus they seem like they drop the ball.

Bigavelli wrote: »
    Eminem is the obvious

And he the highest selling Artist in Hip Hop ever and1 of the highest selling in all genres in recent times

Emenim is white and his music has homosexual undertones so he was destined for super-stardom.
  • EuropeanAndWhite
    edited October 2011
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Emenim is white and his music has homosexual undertones so he was destined for super-stardom.

your racism is pathetic.

plus you talking about the artist who had trouble with GLAAD because of his ? phobic content. fool.
  • usmarin3
    edited October 2011
    Eminem is the obvious

Yes, because Eminem doesn't rap about ? ? , getting ? in the ass, killing his ex wife. Sit your Punjabi ass down somewhere.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Cause he's a ? .
  • H-Rap 180
    edited October 2011
    your racism is pathetic.

plus you talking about the artist who had trouble with GLAAD because of his ? phobic content. fool.

Were do you see racism?? Do you mean REALISM??

Controversy gimmicks go over the heads of the foolish, which is why a sicko-freak can pretend to diss ? and then cross-dress like a ? in his videos while rapping about having sex with Dr Dre.....

Homosexuality was prevalent in Europe and it still exists in the hearts of europeons like Emenim.
    Eminem is the obvious

• Bigavelli
    edited October 2011
    Yes, because Eminem doesn't rap about ? ? , getting ? in the ass, killing his ex wife. Sit your Punjabi ass down somewhere.

But since when is that considered Gangsta Rap or Gang Bangin Rap you bald headed wannabee lawyer looking like Floyd Mayweather on ?

And what top 10 Single has Eminem had Rapping those ignorant silly topics? none you clown
  • EuropeanAndWhite
    edited October 2011
    Were do you see racism?? Do you mean REALISM??

Controversy gimmicks go over the heads of the foolish, which is why a sicko-freak can pretend to diss ? and then cross-dress like a ? in his videos while rapping about having sex with Dr Dre.....

Homosexuality was prevalent in Europe and it still exists in the hearts of europeons like Emenim.

almost every post of yours is racial motivated you ? waste of space.
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    You think he can sell Gold or Platinum and make Singles that reach the top 10?

I can't see that ever happening he just not good enough to blow up like that

Wale might sell more first week than Ross ever did. This album is about to take him places he would've never seen had he stayed on Interscope. MY PEOPLE are loving this new music and that's all that matters
  • H-Rap 180
    edited October 2011

This is what I shared with you last year; we need to take control of the culture and it's direction, we need to wrest control from these major labels that seem to only care about hit singles and cross-marketing their artists with other artists on their labels.

Did Interscope think that a Go-Go influenced rapper from D.C. belongs on a lead single with Lady GaGa when his base is Black females?!

Did Interscope think a Europeon like Mark Ronson could executive produce a project from a Afrikan like Wale??

...last go 'round they had Wale skipping around Europe with Ronson doing promo!

now they got Wale on the HBCU circuit doing promo with the people.

A project like this is a perfect example of what's wrong and what's right with the industry .

Roc-Nation management>>>>>>Interscope plantation.

$pyda wrote: »
    Speaking of which.... I was wondering, how did Wale get out of his interscope contract? He did 1 album and that was it..... How did he go from Interscope/Alldios(?)/Roc nation to MMG/Warner/Roc Nation so suddenly?

I don't care if Wale denies it, I truly believe Interscope let him go after his debut only sold 28K first week....

If they didn't let him go I'm sure JayZ worked some magic with the paperwork and got his freedom papers.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Lol @ interscope plantation
  • H-Rap 180
    edited October 2011
    But since when is that considered Gangsta Rap or Gang Bangin Rap you bald headed wannabee lawyer looking like Floyd Mayweather on ?

And what top 10 Single has Eminem had Rapping those ignorant silly topics? none you clown

Shock-rap, Pop-rap...that's what built Interscope and that's Emenims formula...

Death Row was on Interscope, now they got Aftermath.

almost every post of yours is racial motivated you ? waste of space.

Henehehehe I'm kyrptonite to a Europeon-white, that's why you mad you Neanderthal.

...it makes the Ofay upset when you mention the fact that Marshall is a novelty white-rapper.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011

I don't care if Wale denies it, I truly believe Interscope let him go after his debut only sold 28K first week....

If they didn't let him go I'm sure JayZ worked some magic with the paperwork and got his freedom papers.

I think Interscope let him go. They knew they couldnt market him. Outside of Em who is a completely different image solely cause he's white, I cant think of one rapper on that label who isnt doesnt have the "gangsta" look. If I was a rapper I'd never sign over there. At LEAST Atlantic will put your ? out to some extent.
  • usmarin3
    edited October 2011

You didn't see the part where i said AGGRESSIVE RAPS?
  • H-Rap 180
    edited October 2011
    cj012890 wrote: »
    Lol @ interscope plantation

Let me tell you one reason why I say that:

They used to call 50-Cent: Curtis "Interscope" Jackson....he sold them over 20 million albums and made them hundreds of millions as the poster-boy of their buffoon-department, he did everything they asked him to do even a ? -? magazine cover with his lable-mate Soulja Boy.

When poor 50-Cent got down on his ashy knee's and begged his Boss Emenim and his other Boss Jimmy Iovine to help him promote his album they poured Starbucks coffee on his head and laughed...they told him "ni99er get out of this office".

50-Cent ran out the building in tears and tweeted about how they mistreated him and threatened to leak a Dr Dre song but a day after Jimmy and Mosaad payed him a visit he apologized on Twitter and poured his pain into energy-drinks, twitter-rants, and hair-gel.

Long Live Roc Nation were an artist can be a free man.