I've noticed the serious hatred for KRS-1 for a while...

Comments

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Except for old school cats who know KRS was a coward in the face of competition in the late 80's, nobody hates KRS-ONE.

Younger people just think he's wack now because he is. The stuff he's released in the last twelve years has been 99% garbage, all while saying he's got rhymes prepared to end the careers of the top ten rappers at all times. He failed to out-emcee Nelly. Listen to the disses he directed at him. "Even St. Louis don't like you!" Is that a GOAT line? No, it's amateur. He made this grand proclamation that he's the living embodiment of Hip Hop and can out-emcee anybody, anywhere, anytime. And he failed.

Then he started losing his mind, his bizarre religious beliefs became more pronounced, and he got so crazy he made his son commit suicide.

So KRS gave his son severe depression? Yeaaaah right. Your post doesn't truthfully clarify anything and you're just jumping on the bandwagon as usual.
    another troll thread by ? in sight

It's funny how bitter homos come out the wood work...
    Its become popular to hate KRS like its popular to say Nas Lost. Has nothing to do with anything concrete ? just like to single KRS out like hes the only arrogant MC ever. Its hypocrisy. Ok, I can respect a ? not liking how he rap. I can even respect ? caping for pop ass Nelly as they reason to hate the guy. But I cant respect a ? denying his contribution to the game because of those reasons. You aint a hip hop fan if you do that. You just a spectator. I never liked jay but I aint gonna deny his impact or that he has some bars. ? take they personal feelings too far to where they cant be objective....

Exactly. Great post.
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    can it get through some of ya'll thick ass skulls that some people just dislike krs-one..it's simple as that..the question is why the ? do ya'll get ya'll pannies in a bunch when someone say they don't listen to (insert old school rapper here) damn..some people like different ish..it aint that serious..he isn't the only one who contributed to hip hop or paved the way and not everyone listened to him back in the day so why act like everyone gotta do it now??
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2011
    704Hustla wrote: »
    can it get through some of ya'll thick ass skulls that some people just dislike krs-one..it's simple as that..the question is why the ? do ya'll get ya'll pannies in a bunch when someone say they don't listen to (insert old school rapper here) damn..some people like different ish..it aint that serious..he isn't the only one who contributed to hip hop or paved the way and not everyone listened to him back in the day so why act like everyone gotta do it now??

You're exactly right. Not everyone listened to him back in the day and he isn't the only one who contributed to Hip Hop or paved the way...so it's gotta be something else..

Could it be the issue he had with Nelly?
  • DoorsofPerception
    DoorsofPerception Members Posts: 5
    edited November 2011
    A couple years ago I went to Rock The Bells and KRS One took the stage and started preaching for about 20 minutes. The people next to me got ? when he got on the mic because they knew he was going to talk about unity and all that. Everyone started yelling "freestyle!". I like his music but he preaches at the worst times.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    **Dead***

Yeah I never liked that ? .
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    I never liked him. his delivery is garbage. his skills are overrated. Shan won the battle. The yeah i said it. Kane called him out, G Rap called him out. Craig G bumped into him numerous times ready for a battle and he never stepped to the plate. He was one of the 7 MC that rakim put in that line. He was scared to go at LL. LL was throwin shots at him on Bad album. I was 5 years old and I could tell who he was talking about. Him and D Nice got Scott La Rock killed. Jive records pet monkey and wanna be jew. He stole that revolutionary style straight from Chuck D. "I Dont rhyme for the sake of riddilin" was a shot at KRS. ? didnt like him he's a snob. and when that african medallion ? went south he went underground and had ? ghost writing and ghost producing for him. you had young ? like BCC, Wu, Def Squad shaping the underground sound for the youth of the 90s and this old ass musty dreadlocked ? gonna act like he created "boom bap real hip hop" ? . ? that. He was uncle otis in 1992-1993. Nelly ended his career. ? was so thirsty for relevancy in the new millenium he actually thought Nelly was throwing shots at him. just like with shan he took ? way out of context and caught feelings over it. Shan smashed him. Nelly smashed him. he ducked the juice crew. he not even in my top 100 rappers. i never liked KRS one. his music is boring. he dont have no bangers. maybe love is gonna get cha but thats just because I heard it on a DJ Screw tape. Bridge is over garbage diss song. like i said he dissing women like Jay Z. dissin producers but he aint want no part of G Rap or Kane. What kind of ? legend is that.

The Bridge, ? That Noise>South Bronx, Bridge Is Over
    MC Shan, Nelly>KRS-1
  • AHipHopLovers
    AHipHopLovers Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Man I'm not worried about haters. KRS-One deserves respect. I respect him. I bought his tag team album Survival Skills. I was cool with it. I respect the message and longevity he tries to deliver, that's more than you can say for a lot of these rappers.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    And don't get it twisted... dislike for his attitude does not equate to dislike for his music or no respect for his legacy. A lot of talented people are ? to some degree. Kanye is a ? ass ? , but has one of the best catalogues in hip hop. Mel Gibson is a racist and and an anti semite, but he's a talented actor. MJ may have gotten away with being a child molestor, but he made Thriller. Thriller.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    You're exactly right. Not everyone listened to him back in the day and he isn't the only one who contributed to Hip Hop or paved the way...so it's gotta be something else..

Could it be the issue he had with Nelly?

nah..that thing with nelly wasn't even big like that it was along the lines of that 50/camron beef..a few song made and kinda came and went..i think it has to do more with his attitude and how he carries himself...he's one real opinionated ? at times and it can get annoying
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Dude may be corny these days and he recycles same ideas and themes on his albums, but he's a ? pioneer. If you don't know BDP, Stop The Violence movement, then ? you! You have no room to talk. These young cats these days have such a short attention span that going through whole Criminal Minded album is like reading Dostoyevski to them. I admit I haven't checked KRS album since Sneak Attack (except Survival Skills with Buckshot, which was absolutely stunning from track 1 to 14) and he lost his hunger. But dude's impact and contibutions to game are impeccable.
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    You can believe Nelly won if it pleases your sensibilities, I have heard people like you say that Soulja Boy ended Ice-T's career so I'm not surprised.

Is KRS-One more "cocky" than the rappers who proclaim themselves as the greatest rappers alive or deify themselves as ? emcees or Jehovah/Jayhova??

More cocky than the self-proclaimed geniuses and the rappers who crown themselves KONY or King of the South

No KRS-One is not relevant to the radio in 2011 and no other rapper who debuted in 1993 is either, do fans of Rock music bemoan how ? Jagger hasnt been relevant for 20 years or do they recognize his influence and appreciate his contributions to the genre?

KRS-One went after Nelly because of the song "#1" and due to the fact that Nelly was a pop-rapper who wore a band-aid on his face...I don't hear anyone complaining about 50-Cent dissing Ja-Rule.

KRS-One never claimed to be a preacher, so what does that have to do with an alcohol ad? The Teacha can't drink a beer or a glass of wine now??

WoW, Nelly has some rabid fans.

TABERNACLE.............

The Blastmaster is Quintessential with Hiphop. IF there is one emcee that embodies the spirit,struggle and culture of hiphop then it is Krs one. The sad truth is that todays Ignorant generation ridicule him instead of showing him love and respect.His accomplishments,influence and impact for this culture will never be matched let alone surpassed.

The teacher is the pioneer of both socio-political rap and gangsta rap. Criminal Minded wuz instrumental in birthing Gangsta
    Rap which N.W.A would later use as the foundation to build on.

He is one of the few emcees that can claim to have atleast 4 Classic Records and thats excludin his earlier work with BDP.14 Albums in he has yet to release a dud.
    By All Means Neccessary
    Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hiphop
    Edutainment
    Return of the Boom Bap

Founding member of the Boogie Down Productions- A Legendary Hiphop Group

Possibly the Greatest battle emcee ever witnessed in Hiphop.Battle tested but came out unscathed.KRS-One could touch on social & political issues, while still having the time to talk skul wack MCs and boast about his skills on the mic.Back in the days he wuz the most feared Emcee amongst his peers. "The Bridge is over" is arguably the GOAT Diss record

Greatest live performer. His stage presence is superb.

Created the 'Stop the Violence Movement and launched various campaigns such as Self-Construction,Temple of Hiphop

The Philosopher Influence is seen on Cube,Pac,Nas,Jada,Kweli,Mos Def,Dead Prez etc

Bottom line Kris epitomizes the essence of an MC and Id say he's the most gifted emcee to bless the mic

If Tupac is the Malcom X of Hiphop then Krs is the Marcus Garvey of this ?

Salute Arguably the most Significant Figure in Hiphop History.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    He's only been relevant in da new york metro. His own hood ain't checkin' fa his music no mo. Washed up big nosed senior citizen as far as Im concerned.

Somebody put his ass in a nursing home and let him play peanuckle and put da mic down.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    It hurts to hear you say that because you are an emcee.

We didn't choose Blastmaster, HipHop did.

Don't let Tomp fool you, he ain't bite Chuck D, he switched up because Scott La Rock (Rip) got murdered...besides: By any Means and It takes a Nation came out the same year and same month nobody was allowed to bite back then...plus Tomp talking that African medallion ish when he knows that KRS-One was beefing with X-Clan during the Afrikancentric era. KRS-One never lost a battle hes undefeated.

You say this man is overrated but you fail to understand his album was one of the first politically conscious joints, he was one of the first to "kick knowledge", he started the Edutainment movement, he started the Human Education Against Lies movement, he started the Stop The Violence movement, he started the Temple of HipHop, he has 20+ albums in his discography, he influenced 100's of rappers and tours the world giving lectures on HipHop...so how is he overrated?

Highly influential to emcees like Nas and one of the greatest stage-performers of all time.

you could also argue that Criminal Minded started Gangsta Rap..."9mm goes bang"
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    A legend and a pioneer. Knowledge reigns supreme...
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Dude may be corny these days and he recycles same ideas and themes on his albums, but he's a ? pioneer. If you don't know BDP, Stop The Violence movement, then ? you! You have no room to talk. These young cats these days have such a short attention span that going through whole Criminal Minded album is like reading Dostoyevski to them. I admit I haven't checked KRS album since Sneak Attack (except Survival Skills with Buckshot, which was absolutely stunning from track 1 to 14) and he lost his hunger. But dude's impact and contibutions to game are impeccable.

Check out Keep Right, that joint bangs.

^^^^^Dedicated to the haters in this thread and the state of hip hop in general
    freshb651 wrote: »
    you could also argue that Criminal Minded started Gangsta Rap..."9mm goes bang"

Nah, PSK and 6 In The Morning came out first... 9MM definitely added another spin to it though.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    And don't get it twisted... dislike for his attitude does not equate to dislike for his music or no respect for his legacy. A lot of talented people are ? to some degree. Kanye is a ? ass ? , but has one of the best catalogues in hip hop. Mel Gibson is a racist and and an anti semite, but he's a talented actor. MJ may have gotten away with being a child molestor, but he made Thriller. Thriller.

Agreed, his music was good but every time he opened his mouth (non-rapping), he was on some elitist snob ? . He switched lanes with this new generation of rappers. I mean who would've thought the old KRS would be praising a rapper like 50 and talkin' ? about a rapper like Canibus ?

I used to ? wit' KRS but now I say ? KRS.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I'll put it to you like this:
    KRS usually drops knowledge. That's hated on more than anything right now. I'm going through the ? myself as an artist promoting my album.

I rep Black unity, got a revolutionary album cover, put in mad promo work, drop wisdom/knowledge with good lyrics, good flow. You know what I get from other black folks: you wack man, sound like he on some Nas/Common ? (what does that mean anyway? Im enlightened? Want to actually rep for some real ? ?) and them same dudes got Drake and Wayne in they top 5. I had a ? say my flow was bad lol. And he liked Wayne as his favorite....... now.....

back to KRS One.... I am not a huge fan of his music, I prefer Rakim and PE if we're talking revolutionary/hood/original king type of music from that era. But he's a pioneer, is trying to teach the masses
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2011
    704Hustla wrote: »
    nah..that thing with nelly wasn't even big like that it was along the lines of that 50/camron beef..a few song made and kinda came and went..i think it has to do more with his attitude and how he carries himself...he's one real opinionated ? at times and it can get annoying

So is it okay when Wayne says he's the best rapper alive or when Jay-Z carries himself like he's the almighty ? of Emceeing and ultimate hustler and brags about it EVERY album or when Kanye is on his prima donna ? ?
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    KRS is a legend and I am fortunate enough to have met the man and see him perform several times.

His new music isn't as hot as in his glory years (whose is?) but he still makes some underground bangers now and then.

KRS kind of reminds me of how James Brown was initially hating on the next generation of artists (i.e. hiphop pioneers) but eventually changed his tune after he realized it was all love. KRS works with a lot of up and coming artists for the pure sake of furthering hiphop.

And really... what has Nelly really done for the culture of hiphop? Slide credit cards through stripper's ? ? (Tip Drill video)...SMH.
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    i respect the ? as a legend, but i dont like his ass. It seems like his fans here are the only ones bringin up that Nelly ? . I thought he lost. Not because of raps, but he called out a a inferior rapper and that rapper actually stood his ground and didnt get embarrassed lyrically while KRS didnt give this ? the "death blow" he thought he would. If Jay called out Flo Rida and the same ? happened, ? would be on his back. but since its KRS ? coppin pleas.
  • ibedamned
    edited November 2011
    So is it okay when Wayne says he's the best rapper alive or when Jay-Z carries himself like he's the almighty ? of Emceeing and ultimate hustler and brags about it EVERY album or when Kanye is on his prima donna ? ?

Dog, seriously, your Jay ? is makin you lose credibility. You always talkin bout how you THINK jay acts. KRS has said plenty of arrogant ? but you conviently ignoring that ? . I dont even have a problem w wayne sayin he the best, ? it its his opinion. THis ? KRS hated on a whole slew of new school rappers because they werent from his generation, this ? speaks as if his opinion holds more weight than anybody in hip hop and if you dont agree with him then you're a ? , on second thought I see exactly why you like the ? .
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2011
    ibedamned wrote: »
    i respect the ? as a legend, but i dont like his ass. It seems like his fans here are the only ones bringin up that Nelly ? . I thought he lost. Not because of raps, but he called out a a inferior rapper and that rapper actually stood his ground and didnt get embarrassed lyrically while KRS didnt give this ? the "death blow" he thought he would. If Jay called out Flo Rida and the same ? happened, ? would be on his back. but since its KRS ? coppin pleas.

No not really whenever KRS's name pops up its the Nelly fans who bring that ? up FIRST. But yeah it's funny you mentioned Jay because the thing with Wayne would be a better pick instead of Flo-Rida
    It's easy to say you don't like a muthafucka...but giving a concrete, unbiased reason as to why you don't like someone seems to be harder for some.
    A small percentage don't like him because he's a loud, boisterous know it all ? when it comes Hip Hop.
    Another small percentage don't like him because of his music. His lyrics are dope but not in the vein as of Rakim, Kane, or G Rap, but he with P.E. brought in conscious Hip Hop(Self Destruction movement, the H.E.A.L movement etc) and is an die hard supporter of the culture, giving out lectures on the culture and graffiti.

But a big percentage as to why peeps don't like him is because of his issues with Nelly's Hip POP.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2011
    ibedamned wrote: »
    Dog, seriously, your Jay ? is makin you lose credibility. You always talkin bout how you THINK jay acts. KRS has said plenty of arrogant ? but you conviently ignoring that ? . I dont even have a problem w wayne sayin he the best, ? it its his opinion. THis ? KRS hated on a whole slew of new school rappers because they werent from his generation, this ? speaks as if his opinion holds more weight than anybody in hip hop and if you dont agree with him then you're a ? , on second thought I see exactly why you like the ? .

Look at my last post and you can see why he's speaks the way he does.

I'm not ignoring anything. I know KRS is an arrogant, loudmouth ? who thinks his opinion holds everything. And I don't have to THINK how Jay acts when his arrogant persona is all over his records and interviews. And you're lying about him hating on a slew of new generation rappers because he gave big ups to 50 Cent, Jay, Nas...even Soulja Boy so how he's hating on them? Your emotions is running all over and it's obvious your COULD have been a Nelly supporter.

A lot of MCs from the earlier era thinks like KRS but they're not as open with it as he is.
  • ibedamned
    edited November 2011
    No not really whenever KRS's name pops up its the Nelly fans who bring that ? up FIRST. But yeah it's funny you mentioned Jay because the thing with Wayne would be a better pick instead of Flo-Rida
    It's easy to say you don't like a muthafucka...but giving a concrete, unbiased reason as to why you don't like someone seems to be harder for some.
    A small percentage don't like him because he's a loud, boisterous know it all ? when it comes Hip Hop.
    Another small percentage don't like him because of his music. His lyrics are dope but not in the vein as of Rakim, Kane, or G Rap, but he with P.E. brought in conscious Hip Hop(Self Destruction movement, the H.E.A.L movement etc) and is an die hard supporter of the culture, giving out lectures on the culture and graffiti.

But a big percentage as to why peeps don't like him is because of his issues with Nelly's Hip POP.
    I just dont see it like that fam. I dont think alot of ppl liked him before that and that just kinda broke the bank. Im 31, and from stl, i dont believe Nelly "won" lyrically. But he got more points for holding his ground than KRS got for the attack, if that makes sense. I dont like dude for the attitude reason you said its ok to be confident, its hip hop. But dude comes off like an arrogant old man.
  • ibedamned
    edited November 2011
    Look at my last post and you can see why he's speaks the way he does.

I'm not ignoring anything. I know KRS is an arrogant, loudmouth ? who thinks his opinion holds everything. And I don't have to THINK how Jay acts when his arrogant persona is all over his records and interviews. And you're lying about him hating on a slew of new generation rappers because he gave big ups to 50 Cent, Jay, Nas...even Soulja Boy so how he's hating on them? Your emotions is running all over and it's obvious your COULD have been a Nelly supporter.A lot of MCs from the earlier era thinks like KRS but they're not as open with it as he is.

see, you a solid poster dog and i aint really got no beef w you, but this ? right here is beneth you fam. You can debate much better than that homie, come on now.