Nominees for Independent/Underground Album of the Year...

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
This thread will stay open until 14th December, 2011.

I would like to have a thread that surmises all releases this year that have been good enough to receive a nomination for Album of the Year, therefore, when we come to discussing the Album of the Year, I'll have a complete list of albums to post up in the first post and also in the poll too.

What you need to do in your post:
  • One album per post.
  • Drop the album artwork (centred).
  • Underneath the album artwork, write a short paragraph about what makes that album good enough to become a nominee for album of the year
  • Below the paragraph, drop a YouTube video of your favourite track from that album (no more than 3).

I'll post one below for everyone to follow on from…

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    kendrick-lamar-section-80-cover.jpg

Kendrick Lamar: Section.80

Kendrick Lamar followed up two great releases with his best to date. Section 80 was filled with conscious storytelling tracks that showed wisdom in the young mind of the talented Compton-born and bred emcee. With tracks like the J. Cole produced Hiii Power, Kendrick was able to start up an Internet following that he had previously lacked. With backing from Dr. Dre, he showed growth as an artist and Keisha's Song showcased his talents more so than any other track. But perhaps the more ignorant tracks that Kendrick is able to create with bars filled with intelligent rhymes and flows are more enjoyable, the hood tales aplenty about the contradictions of women on Tammy's Song. Overall, I played this album in its entirety over 20 times in one month. That's the reason it's here and worthy as a nominee for Album of the Year, 2011.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    oneirology.jpg

CunninLynguists - Oneirology

Containing possibly my favourite line of this year, 'Instead of wishing on a star, grab a comet by the tail;' the CunninLynguists may have shone brightest in 2011. Deacon, Natti and Kno definitely re-directed the comet with this release, reaching the edges of music with another sonically brilliant soundscape from Kno. Having come from ? jokes (early days) to concept albums (APOS) to tales of marijuana obsession (Strange Journey), the CunninLnguists have continued to change with the weather of their music. Oneirology was no different, meaning 'a study of dreams,' Oneirology saw Natti and Deacon in top form, but to me it was Kno and Natti that stole the show on the closing track, Embers.
    Natti wrote:
    It wasn’t Heaven that I was seeking but a haven I sought
    A canvas of the mind painted with my thoughts

A quality album, deserving of its place in the great catalog that resides from the SouthernUnderground emcees.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I wish i had your writing skills ruff, Reading your posts is like a magazine article. Here i go.
    23453.jpg

Pharoah Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)

Pharoah Monch has been around for quite some time, his albums are spread far apart from eachother, but not a single one has disappointed. Every album this man has put out is classic material to me. He's Phenomenal with his wordplay, the man made a whole song about being a bullet. hes a genius. W.A.R. was no disappointment. When i first heard the single Clap, i knew i was gonna have a new album in rotation for quite awhile, the production is great, Exile and Marco Polo have a track, as well as another great one from the always ill Diamond D. newbie (to me atleast) M-Phazes takes the production for most of the album and does a fantastic job at it. Every album Pharoah releases, there is a more evolved sound and he adapts to it greatly. WAR is another showing of that ability.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    You did a great job with that post, Lou :tu but thanks :tu
    1302937218_cs1717600-02a-big500.jpg

Apollo Brown - Clouds

Massively overlooked here in The Essence, yet deserving of its place alongside this years best, Apollo Brown's Clouds reaches instrumental heaven. The Left's producer who has been working on beats since '96, is only just beginning to break through as an emerging producer. Having had a very successful 2010 with the release of Gas Mask and The Reset, Apollo has stayed close to the boards all year, releasing not just Clouds, but a collaboration project with Haasan Mackay; entitled Daily Bread as well. Clouds showcases the creativity Apollo possesses, mixing old vocals and rhythms effortlessly. One moment we're in the 1930s awaiting World War II on the albums intro, 'Sound of Guns.' The next we're listening to a laid back drum pattern and we're on our way to a treat, particularly on 'Never In A Million Years,' which shines as one of the best beats the album has to offer. If Gas Mask-esque beats was what you were looking for though, see 'Drinking Life' for the daunting sirens and awakening samples. Tao Te Ching takes the reigns as the best this beat CD has to offer, although 'Imagination' comes close; this mellow beat followed by the trumpet sample is flawless. Apollo Brown is likely to bring some great releases over the coming year, he's certainly not dropped the baton yet.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    apollo-brown-hassaan-mackey-daily-bread1.jpg

Apollo Brown and Hasaan Mackey - Daily Bread

Apollo Brown has been a beast these past couple of years, This album is more of that same great material. Hasaan Mackey (who ive never heard of until this album) makes a great first impression to a listener. His laid back flow and subject matter match Apollo's hard hitting beats very well. Apollo's Sample flips on this are insane, on many songs he gives you a tease of a nice little oldie and then BAM makes a soft love song turn into a dark, grimy head bobbing loop. Anxious to see what either one of these artists put out next.
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited November 2011
    Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told
    1298926859_saigon_thegreateststorynevertold-500x500.jpg

1) I hate to praise an album mainly on it's production, but Just Blaze blessed that album with fantastic backdrops on every single song.
    2) Saigon held the album off being released for 6 years because he wanted it to sound right and he has finally released the project without selling out.
    3) Lyrically, Saigon isn't the strongest but his content varies, is precise and is thought provoking.
    4) The feature choices were quite outstanding: Black Thought, Jay Z, Bun B & Q-Tip
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    Ah ? i forgot saigon came out this year. I remember hearing about this album 6 years ago and never hearing a from this guy. then this year comes and i finally listened and it was pretty damn dope. he sounds ignorant sometimes when hes in interviews but he is pretty sick and intelligent on the mic.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Ah ? i forgot saigon came out this year. I remember hearing about this album 6 years ago and never hearing a from this guy. then this year comes and i finally listened and it was pretty damn dope. he sounds ignorant sometimes when hes in interviews but he is pretty sick and intelligent on the mic.

Dude was my favourite rapper in 2004, check his Abandoned Nation Mixtape, incredible.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    damn i may have to dig thru the vaults when i get my computer fixed. gonna be a tuff choice
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    kendrick-lamar-section-80-cover.jpg

I may be a little bias because im from the West-Coast but Kendrick Lamars "Section 80" was incredible to me. His lyrical complexity is refreashing coming from a coast were post people view us as ganngbangers who just rhyme simple words over g-funk tracks.

This kid is a spitter and he has the intellectual capacity to incorporate cultural awareness and political thoughts within his 16's.

This joint is my favorite Indie of the year.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited November 2011
    atmospherethefamilysign-260x260.jpg

Slug and Ant return for their most mature and ambitious effort yet, and this time they brought some friends along. The long running duo of Atmosphere is no longer, as the 2 have evolved into a full fledged band. With the band comes an evolution in sound, featuring crisp guitar, pounding guys, and a tempo more akin to southern rock than underground Hip Hop. But they make it work. Became showcases Slug at his allegory best while Sluggo may have not have written anything as emotionally hard hitting as The Last To Say. Sure, the bar hopping emo king Slug may be a thing of the past on this album, but Slug finds new footing in grasping storytelling and brooding rock melodies.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2011
    phonte-charity-starts-at-home-629x629.jpg

Phonte - Charity Starts At Home

While i dont think this album will win album of the year, i think it deserves a mention. At Least the recommendation. This album was awesome to me. Since the departure of 9th of LB i just dreamed of the day Phonte would rap on another 9th wonder track. Then the stupid twitter beef they had for a day made me think that dream would never come true. Then out of no where you hear they are friends again and phonte would be RAPPING, taking a break from his singing with Foreign Exchange. While Phonte has accomplished Grammy nominations with his singing (I think they won one. Correct me if im wrong plz) I have always preferred rapping phonte. I can stand phonte singing on the hooks tho because i do think hes great at everything he does, but when Phonte raps i think hes much better. From the first single released i knew it was gonna be great. 9th has been slacking on the beats imo as of lately, The beat was Average 9th, But phonte brought in the laid back flow that immediately gave me that Old LB feel. It felt like they never stopped working with eachother, the chemistry is always there between them, Then elzhi comes and drops a verse that is one of my favorites on the album, "Im Poetic, while they PO-Thetic, i play they life like a movie and in the end give em no credit." The rest of the album still has you reminiscing on the old days of Little Brother, 9th Produces the bulk of the album, Khrysis has one track. Others are produced with people i am not familiar with, but they dont disappoint.

Notable songs (sorry Ruff if ya could Tube em for me :P )

Im Not Here Anymore
    The Good Fight
    Everything Is Falling Down
    We Go Off Feat Pharoah Monch
    The Life Of Kings Feat. Evidence and Big KRIT
  • Robothug
    Robothug Members Posts: 28
    edited November 2011

I truely feel this is an exceptional album from the Meridian, MS. MC/producer Big K.R.I.T. He's a southern MC but very strong lyricly and gives alot of food for thought on more than a few tracks and still makes room for tracks like "My Sub" or "Shake It". I can hear a little bit of ? C., Andre 3000, T.I., Luda, the kid got flow for days. Also lets not forget he produced the whole damn thing 21 tracks strong. From start to finish I could play this album without skipping. He is the valedictorian of XXL 2011 freshman class and this album is proof.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    section 80>>>>
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited November 2011
    ILLUS
    For Adam
    picture-45.png

For Adam is an original and fresh collection of diverse songs that are both universal and personal. This is a positive album with hard hitting lyrics and beats that are though provoking, inspirational, fun, clever and meaningful. Illus comes correct side by side with legends and some of the best newcomers in the business and crafts great songs. Some may think Illus is a goofy dude because he does a lot of comicbook work but he comes with 100% passion and heart and is honest refreshing.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited November 2011
    I dig a lot of underground so it's hard to choose one. These are all dope selections though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    treklifecover700x700_1.jpg

Trek Life - Wouldn't Change Nothing

LA based Trek Life was blessed with production from Oddissee and Apollo Brown for this Mello Music Group effort. The remix album of the previously released 'Everything Changed Nothing,' features production from Audible Doctor who produced 'Battle Cry' for Joel Ortiz. I feel the production was outstanding all the way through on this release (as most Mello Music Group releases seem to be), it's one of those albums that can be in the playlist and continue to play all the way through.

On another note, as time goes on, it's really apparent that Mello Music Group is a great label with great producers and talents coming through - with an endless list of talents including Finale, Kenn Starr, Has-Lo, Boog Brown, Diamond District, The Left, Declaime, Hassaan Mackey and more.

With tracks like 'As The World Turns', 'What it is' with production from Apollo Brown, So L.A. and the album-titled track, 'Wouldn't Change Nothing,' this release is deserving of at least a nomination for album of the year… some of the tracks I like:
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told
    1298926859_saigon_thegreateststorynevertold-500x500.jpg

1) I hate to praise an album mainly on it's production, but Just Blaze blessed that album with fantastic backdrops on every single song.
    2) Saigon held the album off being released for 6 years because he wanted it to sound right and he has finally released the project without selling out.
    3) Lyrically, Saigon isn't the strongest but his content varies, is precise and is thought provoking.
    4) The feature choices were quite outstanding: Black Thought, Jay Z, Bun B & Q-Tip

Co-sign this post

My album of the year
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
  • blackat87
    blackat87 Members Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Doomtree: No Kings

Doomtree_NoKings_400_web.png

The Minnesota hip-hop scene seems to have an endless supply of talented artists, and the Doomtree collaborative may be the best that state has to offer. After ten years together, and many exceptional solo albums, the unit has united to release a masterpiece. I enjoyed their self-titled album from 2008 and listen to it on a regular basis but this album is on a whole different level. The five Emcees (Sims, Dessa, Mike Mictlan, Cecil Otter, P.O.S.) vary in their style, but they play off one another perfectly. The beats (produced by Doomtree beat makers Lazerbeak and Paper Tiger as well as P.O.S. and Cecil Otter) are a layered, genre bending mix of electronica, hip-hop, rock, punk and even industrial. The groups lyrics lean towards the abstract. Like an Aesop Rock song, they reward careful listening and personal interpretation. I can't recommend this album enough.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ I've slept on this release, I'm taking it P.O.S. never released anything this year as a solo though?

Another one:
    eLZhi - eLmatic

elzhi-elmatic.jpg

eLZhi, Slum Village's former member, released a dedication mix tape to the 1994 classic album, Illmatic. The release, that was later published officially as a pressed CD, was entirely produced by Will Sessions and featured live instrumentation. With two videos stemming from the project and a third to follow, eLZhi struck over 500,000 views on YouTube. The project has been greatly received by fans and critics alike and somewhat overshadows Fashawn's dedication tape, Ode II Illmatic; no easy feat given Fashawn's talents on the mic. Overall, this tape was great for the vivid imagery that eLZhi was able to generate as well as the live instrumentation, which took the release to another level. As eLZhi's popularity continues to grow, 2012 looks to be another positive year for Detroit's Best Kept Secret.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited December 2011
    Man i think all of these albums should win! this thread is gonna ? me off on Dec 31st lol.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Man i think all of these albums should win! this thread is gonna ? me off on Dec 31st lol.

Lol. We'll be upping all the threads on the 14th so that all decisions have been made come the 31st. We'll be doing a Playlist of the Year thread too, which is my favourite thread of the year.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    joints I copped that's getting heavy replay:

Rashad & Confidence - 'The Element Of Surprise'

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/rashad-confidence-the-element-of-surprise/IAR002CD/

Rashad & Confidence, two longtime students of the game, finally drop their long-awaited debut album "The Element of Surprise". This up-and-coming MC/producer duo, hailing from Brooklyn and Philly, merged to create a record with a timeless sound reminiscent of hip-hop's golden era but with a fresh, updated feel. With no guest appearances or other producers involved, Rashad & Confidence embody the sound real hip-hop heads yearn to hear, going back to the times of Gang Starr and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth.

The soulful hitting and sample-based boom bap beats courtesy of Confidence capture the pure essence of classic hip-hop production while Rashad's deep and conscious lyrics slice through each track with topics ranging from various life issues to relationships or just raw lyrical display.

Push the play button and get taken back to a time when hip-hop only produced classic albums
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Epidemic (HexOne + Tek-Nition) w/ 5th Element - 'Illin Spree'

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/epidemic-illin-spree/EPD11ISCD/

Epidemic, a group that consists of 2 MC's (Hex One & Tek-Nition) and a producer (5th Element) have put their mind and heart together to put out this classic, boom bap sounding album (ILLIN' SPREE). The delivery of this project is to bring back or reunite 90s era style hip hop. Seeing that a lot of the true art is fazing out, these artists' mission is to help re-install real hip hop in the present and future to come. There is word Hex One and 5th Element are working on a new project up for release early next year. Stay posted for that, we will keep you updated!

Along with the album release are 3 music videos, ? IS REAL, LIVIN' PROOF, and SET IT OFF, for you to experience a visual of the art. Enjoy the multi-syllable flows over hard-hitting beats.