Digging for samples on Youtube: Yay or Nay?

Options
Lab Baby
Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Fresh Produce
I find a lot of dope ? on Youtube and torrents. And my current financial status prohibits me from spending $20 on vinyl (I know it's a lot cheaper, but you come across those). I know there's a lot of stubborn cats out there that wanna stick to the good ol vinyl and cassettes, but times are changing, and we gotta change with it. Who's for it, and who's against it?

Comments

• sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I've seen DJ Jazzy Jeff do whole sets off of Serato so I guess times change.

Doesn't matter how you get a sample as long as it sounds dope...
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ahhhh....the old "E-Digging vs. Crate Digging" debate has resurfaced.

Overall, I agree with sniperk...

U get it how you can! If you have done your research on what artists are dope, rare its just as good as diggin in the crates using the same format. The best part about it is, you are going to find something dope and dont pay a dime for it. If you paid your dues by digging for dope records, paying money and finding minimal usable samples from them its all the more of a pleasurable experience. I do 90% of my digging online and its beneficial.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    damn....while I will never knock somebody for e-digging because times have changed....but Im pro record store. I have records that are not even online....anywhere....and the fact that I can go to different cities, states, countries and continents and find something different every time is like a ? high unlike any. At the end of it all, I become a collector, a connoisseur, and a crate digger and that title alone means a lot to me. I dont disagree with e-digging because I know ? find gems that way without doubt.....
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    tonys. wrote: »
    damn....while I will never knock somebody for e-digging because times have changed....but Im pro record store. I have records that are not even online....anywhere....and the fact that I can go to different cities, states, countries and continents and find something different every time is like a ? high unlike any. At the end of it all, I become a collector, a connoisseur, and a crate digger and that title alone means a lot to me. I dont disagree with e-digging because I know ? find gems that way without doubt.....
    Man, I'm a crate digger myself. And that online digging ain't where it's at, you basically recycling already sample beats. But when you dig and find a gem that's that real ? . You me be playing a record and hear a specific piano, horn, drum, guitar or bass sample. Coming up with new fresh samples is the way to go. And being in the record store atmosphere, ain't nothing like it
  • king hassan
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    I find a lot of dope ? on Youtube and torrents. And my current financial status prohibits me from spending $20 on vinyl (I know it's a lot cheaper, but you come across those). I know there's a lot of stubborn cats out there that wanna stick to the good ol vinyl and cassettes, but times are changing, and we gotta change with it. Who's for it, and who's against it?
    You have to hit resale shops, garage sales, run across ? people dump, people post ? in the paper or online. I've copped countless records for less than a buck. I used to hit this resale shop "it burned down" dude used to let me get records 2 for a dollar. I'd be in there for hours finding ? . I come out of there with almost 200 records for a little of nothing. You have to be a true digger my man
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    If you live in america and is e-digging thats sad as ? .
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    go to garage sales and the like. you can find em on craigslist.

one dude i know went to a sale and the owners were just giving away ? . He came up on an original thriller vinyl in near perfect condition, among other classic albums....

also if you go to secondhand stores they sometimes have free stuff, like one time a store had a table set up outside with stacks of vinyl for free taking. it was about 11 pm and the ? was still nearly full. best believe i took em all

but if you want to look for samples off of youtube, use an mp3 ripper like dvdsoft
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited November 2011
    Options
    freehuey89 wrote: »
    go to garage sales and the like. You can find em on craigslist.

One dude i know went to a sale and the owners were just giving away ? . He came up on an original thriller vinyl in near perfect condition, among other classic albums....

Also if you go to secondhand stores they sometimes have free stuff, like one time a store had a table set up outside with stacks of vinyl for free taking. It was about 11 pm and the ? was still nearly full. Best believe i took em all

but if you want to look for samples off of youtube, use an mp3 ripper like dvdsoft

? is lazy though.? forget one thing.lets say they make a hit.how the ? are they going to present the beat in low quality to them industry business.? don´t really respect youtube rippers but yo do ya thing but if you want to go pro you need to ? wit wav only.if you get in a big studio they will notice the low quality.
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    A little off topic but this sample is so crazy:
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    not necessarily
    I know a guy who's produced for Nipsey and Immortal Technique who uses mp3s when sampling

Name names ? .I need proof.If so thats sad as ? .If you´re going to do it do it right.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ? is lazy though.? forget one thing.lets say they make a hit.how the ? are they going to present the beat in low quality to them industry business.? don´t really respect youtube rippers but yo do ya thing but if you want to go pro you need to ? wit wav only.if you get in a big studio they will notice the low quality.

the sound quality isnt that bad sometimes, not as good a wav but it does the job.....

plus ? gonna do what they gotta do to gain experience and practice chopping up and sampling
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited November 2011
    Options
    freehuey89 wrote: »
    the sound quality isnt that bad sometimes, not as good a wav but it does the job.....

plus ? gonna do what they gotta do to gain experience and practice chopping up and sampling

I´ll co-sign the ? outta that ? .True true.But im going to keep it real wit you.I would only sample mp3´s if someone asked me to sample a certain song and I cant find the vinil or the cd.The other situation I cant even say im still in but it was when I was starting.? when you start sampling and making beats you got no vinils no cds so that ? is crazy hard you gotta take the mp3 root.But theres nothing better then popping that vinil and vibing to it.Yo I swear I just sample a stevie wonder song that a year ago I would have trown away.? just want to find that easy soul sample.? that dig in that ? .Takes time to perfect the art.
  • king hassan
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Vinyl is the easiest thing to find, ? just mad lazy. Go to www.dustygroove.com they have mad vinyl and will ship it to you. Plus as a producer you want that new fresh ? , not ? that's been sample 5011 times. That's why the game is ? up now, ? don't want to put in that work to make a quality sound, they just want to sit in the crib and youtube ? instead of being out in the streets finding that sound. It's tons of places to easily cop vinyl, damn ? damn
  • money mob
    edited December 2011
    Options
    dude stands by the idea that it aint as big a deal as people make it out to be

Exactly.

The greatest story never told is you get a sample off a record to create your .wav file, chop it up and add it to your track, tweak it in with the rest or the track to where its a banger. Then were does the song go from there? You create an MP3 or MP4 and lose zero quality right? If you would have done the same thing with an MP3 you will get the same result. Especially if you do heavy EQing onn your samples anyway. The easiest test is to get a wav file and convert it to MP3 and see if there is a difference in sound. Its practically non existent.
  • narkotikbeats
    narkotikbeats Members Posts: 13
    edited December 2011
    Options
    as far as searching out music and artists on youtube thats cool..but sampling from youtube is a horrible idea. Only way you can really find good quality samples online is to search the FLAC blogs/torrents.
  • Roster Player #99
    edited December 2011
    Options
    mp4 is a video file brah
    but i dig what you're saying

you can play audio from mp4 files...i dont know what DAWs have that capability tho....still, i think diggin online is the new wave of diggin in stores, our generation and the generation to follow becomes more and more reliant on virtual reality and the internet so record stores are becoming scarce, which ? sucks, but has the upside of making actual vinyl rarer therefore making the hunt a lot funner. When I first started using DAWs I used to download the samples people used to post on here to make my beats...and that feeling does not compare to the feeling of goin to a record store and buying records. There's so much more to the task than just goin to a record store and diggin....you can build rapports with the owners and other diggers which can open so many doors man....you can go to different cities, counties, states, countries and even continents and find different ? everywhere....this is just me speaking personally....i dont think its a matter of the file extension, because my vinyl software rips the vinyl into mp3 format....granted you can do the same thing with the song from a physical LP and a song downloaded off of a torrent....it all boils down to your cognition...I wanna be a record collector so I collect records.
  • HorizonMusic
    HorizonMusic Members Posts: 11
    edited December 2011
    Options
    nay, youtube isnt that easy to dig anymore due to big companies taking over
  • money mob
    edited December 2011
    Options
    mp4 is a video file brah
    but i dig what you're saying

MP4s are file extensions for audio and videos.

M4a file extension is the audio format for the MP4s.

(something like that. LOL)
  • money mob
    edited December 2011
    Options
    you can play audio from mp4 files...i dont know what DAWs have that capability tho....still, i think diggin online is the new wave of diggin in stores, our generation and the generation to follow becomes more and more reliant on virtual reality and the internet so record stores are becoming scarce, which ? sucks, but has the upside of making actual vinyl rarer therefore making the hunt a lot funner. When I first started using DAWs I used to download the samples people used to post on here to make my beats...and that feeling does not compare to the feeling of goin to a record store and buying records. There's so much more to the task than just goin to a record store and diggin....you can build rapports with the owners and other diggers which can open so many doors man....you can go to different cities, counties, states, countries and even continents and find different ? everywhere....this is just me speaking personally....i dont think its a matter of the file extension, because my vinyl software rips the vinyl into mp3 format....granted you can do the same thing with the song from a physical LP and a song downloaded off of a torrent....it all boils down to your cognition...I wanna be a record collector so I collect records.

Well said....
  • king hassan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Vinyl is the easiest thing to find, ? just mad lazy. Go to www.dustygroove.com they have mad vinyl and will ship it to you. Plus as a producer you want that new fresh ? , not ? that's been sample 5011 times. That's why the game is ? up now, ? don't want to put in that work to make a quality sound, they just want to sit in the crib and youtube ? instead of being out in the streets finding that sound. It's tons of places to easily cop vinyl, damn ? damn[/QUOTE;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
  • king hassan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    lol @ the price of those vinyls
    I'm not talking about the cost, I'm just saying vinyl is easy to get ahold to. And they have rare ? in that store that's why its a little pricey, but hit up garage sales. I was just looking in the paper over the weekend and somebody listed some records they you could come pick up for free. They said they had 7 boxes to grab. I was helping a lady from the job one day move some ? , she gave me 3 crates of records, my homeboy had a religious conversion and gave me about 4-5 crates of records. Been in a resale shop and copped 100 records for about 25 bucks. Dude was selling records for a quater and I was slidding double records in a sleeve. ? 's not hard ? just want the easy way out
  • king hassan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    lol@ u stealin records
    nice hustle

u can't deny though... it is cheaper to get samples online
    It's the experience my dude. Plus you get to meet other cats and brainstorm. Never know who you'll meet when you out and about face to face. And plus there is nothing never wrong with have a record collection
  • money mob
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It's the experience my dude. Plus you get to meet other cats and brainstorm. Never know who you'll meet when you out and about face to face. And plus there is nothing never wrong with have a record collection

U right about that. Long ago, I bumped into Q-Tip when I was digging at this record spot in the village.
  • Roster Player #99
    edited December 2011
    Options
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll put it like this, if you (or if you live with your parents) can afford to pay for internet to download stuff on, you can pay a dollar or even 10 to 50 cents for records. ? for my first 2 years of collecting I bought ALL dollar bin and under records....some places even had deals ( get ten 25cent records for a dollar) ? like that, and now my ? is sittin pretty. And I didnt buy ? either, I barley if at all buy records that are well known, ? some records I found for a quarter are being sold for hundreds {i.e. John Renbourn - The Lady and The Unicorn} real heads know what it is. My thing is, if you half steppin with this ? then step the ? off, its a slap in the face to say records are too expensive, but the internet isnt??...

Like I said I dont knock cats who do it, but at least have a legit reason for not doing it or not knowing better. For example some cats know what sampling is but dont know the foundation of what sampling is...they know, "chop this old Lonnie Liston Smith or loop this Marvin Gaye" but dont know the value of the Here, My Dear LP or the depth of the Flying Dutchman Record label is, let alone what the Flying Dutchman Record label is....

Thats the only thing bothers me with a lot people who wanna be producers or beats makers...or whatever ? call themselves nowadays
  • king hassan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'll put it like this, if you (or if you live with your parents) can afford to pay for internet to download stuff on, you can pay a dollar or even 10 to 50 cents for records. ? for my first 2 years of collecting I bought ALL dollar bin and under records....some places even had deals ( get ten 25cent records for a dollar) ? like that, and now my ? is sittin pretty. And I didnt buy ? either, I barley if at all buy records that are well known, ? some records I found for a quarter are being sold for hundreds {i.e. John Renbourn - The Lady and The Unicorn} real heads know what it is. My thing is, if you half steppin with this ? then step the ? off, its a slap in the face to say records are too expensive, but the internet isnt??...

Like I said I dont knock cats who do it, but at least have a legit reason for not doing it or not knowing better. For example some cats know what sampling is but dont know the foundation of what sampling is...they know, "chop this old Lonnie Liston Smith or loop this Marvin Gaye" but dont know the value of the Here, My Dear LP or the depth of the Flying Dutchman Record label is, let alone what the Flying Dutchman Record label is....

Thats the only thing bothers me with a lot people who wanna be producers or beats makers...or whatever ? call themselves nowadays
    A lot of truth in this post. I copped Idris Muhammad's "Power of Soul" album for .75, and you know that album came out with 3 different album covers and hard as hell to find on wax. And it was on the CTI label that went out of print in the 70's. You can find the cd easily but wax not as much.

But when you out digging you find some gems and I've copped some unknown ? just by looking at a crazy cover and it had some musical gems on the album. I've spent up to 4 hours in a record store digging, chopping it up with other dj's that come through. We brainstorm and exchange info while we digging, and like my man said how he met Q-Tip digging, that's some cool ? because he is a crate digger.

And like Tony my ? is sitting pretty too, got insurance on my ? , I even have this in my collection, and it's not a repress either
    41N0653ZBKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg