If Aaliyah was still alive...

Comments

• arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    caddo man wrote: »
    She would be where all of them go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the back of the CD case.

/close thread
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Death doesn't benefit everyone, though...and it doesn't enhance everyone's legacy.

The only artists who tend to be affected by it, in a positive way, tend to be those who were already the hot commodity when they were alive...Biggie, Pac, Aaliyah, etc, etc.
  • magic_b
    magic_b Members Posts: 282
    edited May 2010
    I'll just say this, there would have been no need for Ciara Harris in the industry circa 2004
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited May 2010
    She would probably be on into acting.
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Aaliyah is/was clearly superior to Beyonce, in every way vocally.

imager.php?id=119019 GIFSoup

7.png

YodaFail.jpg
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    How would the hip hop landscape be if JMJ didn't get killed?
    How would the all female group landscape be if Left-eye hadn't died?

To the subject pending on movie career she would be right behind beyonce music wise.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    1st her album dropped in Mid July a whole month and a half before his death. So it was still in the Top 20 within a month of it's release. 2nd she was deemed the "Princess of RnB" after her Classic "One and Million" dropped. She was co-signed by damn near every heavy hitter in the game including the late great B.I.G. As well as DMX, NaS and Jay Z. To say if she'd be around today you doubt she would making hits as if Timibaland and her crew aren't making hit songs now is wild. Aaliyah would of been fine, espeically with all the new prodcution she didn't get to work with. She was going Multiplatinum before her death, her singles were selling like hotcakes on her soundtracks. People didn't need her death to see she was one of the best in the game which is why many say she helped change RnB in the 90's. Aaliyah is now Legendary status for a reason. A lot of these chicks now are lucky like Ciara and Rhianna who both are clearly clones on Aaliayh. Beyonce also came after Aaliyah was smashing the game. As for her vocals and dance moves, they were fine and help make her the star she was. Also Timibaland produced all her major hit songs. There is no way she would of stopped working with him. Again, Justin better be thanking the Ghost of Aaliyah cause all those beats would of been hers.
    Son, stop trying to make excuses for everthing.The album was in the low 50's before Blackground rushed out Rock The Boat..and even so, #19 in it's 5th or 6th week is nothing to go crazy over when Beyonce's album stayed Top 10 for months (I dunno about Alicia, I wasn't paying attention). Despite what happened, I think that album would have done relatively well because people were way more receptive to Rock The Boat than her first single...but, of course, it wouldn't have done anywhere near as well as it did otherwise.

And since when was Aaliyah deemed legendary status? Lol what the hell? I'll give you Ciara but how is Rihanna a clone of Aaliyah?? She's nothing like her. :- ? This is what I mean.
  • KillaCham
    edited May 2010
    Beyonce struggled to deliver it herself...but Aaliyah is/was clearly superior to Beyonce, in every way vocally.
    I didn't even see this. What a joke.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Wooowww, there's a lot of disrespect and shinnanegans in here!

First of all, Romeo Must Die flopped???!?!!?

Ok, the budget was 25 million, it grossed 55million (18million the first week alone)..that was in the United States, and that doesn't include DVD sales. So Fail #1

Queen of the Damned, budget 35million, broke even (not including DVD sales)...and was an unfinished product...you know how RARE that is in film? As an aspiring film maker I can tell you right now that it almost never happens. Especially since everyone KNEW it was unfinished and didn't really feature Aaliyah too prominently.

Aaliyah's album had been on the charts for about 6 weeks before she died, and the week before she died sold 62,000 records...don't think she was #18 and selling 10k and had some magical "resurgence".

Her first 2 albums (Age aint nothin but a number) 2.5 million (One in a Million) 3 million. Hardly flops by ANYONE's standards...

AALIYAH debuted at #2 (while she was alive) with like 190,000 sold...and was Gold within 3 weeks.

I can't even BELIEVE someone asked who dubbed her the queen of rnb pop..like, are yall all under 21 in here? (Then I'd understand cuz that would make you about 11 when she died and you probably didn't know much about her influence).

Aaliyah's music was widely regarded as "pillow talk music"..it wasn't a "powerful" voice, but it was a beautiful one. Very soothing.

And to the person that said she wasn't a fashioniesta???!?!?!? SERIOUSLY!??!? Aaliyah, the same Aaliyah with the hair over her eye?!? THAT EVERY GIRL ROCKED?! The same Aaliyah that whenever she came out with a new video, EVERY girl went and copped the outfit?? SMH, your opinion doesn't even hold any value after that statement because you're obviously just looking for something to say without any factual evidence.

And to those that say how is Rihanna an Aaliyah clone, check out Aaliyah from the 90s and Rihanna when she first came out, in the baggy clothes with the boxers showing and the sports bra..

Just because someone dies doesn't mean you have to BELITTLE their success and attribute it to their death, ESPECIALLY if they were successful before they died.

What other RnB chick was doing movies while Aaliyah was doing them? Brandy? Monica? Destiny's Child? TLC? Mary J? Aaliyah took time off to go to school, came back, did soundtracks (Anastasia anyone?? youngest female to EVER perform at the Academy Awards, and youngest African American nominated for Best song??)

Are you That Somebody? DR DO LITTLE?!!? TRY AGAIN??? Romeo Must Die? I Don't Wanna??? Friday....

These are singles that were going platinum while she didn't even have albums out...then she was about to be in 2 Matrix movies, and you say what would that have done for her??? Really?? That's like saying what does Star Trek or Avatar do for Zoe Saldana. OF COURSE The Matrix didn't do much for Jada Pinkett, kinda hard to do something for someone who's already one of the most prominent african american women in Hollywood, as well as not WANTING to be in a lot of films!

Man this thread is lightweight disrespectful..but anyways..where do I think Aaliyah would be? Probably regarded as one of the best to do the music thing (Probably would've either signed to the ROC, or atleast done a few songs with Jay Z, Nas, etc)

I think her film career would've continued to take off, Queen of the Damned probably would've been better, and companied with the 2 Matrix film, she'd be the Urban film princess..probably be doing a few Tyler Perry films and releasing songs via soundtracks...to me, when Aaliyah was alive, she carried herself a lot like Alicia Keys, so I think she'd be a lot like her now. Still private, elegant and classy.
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited May 2010
    well if ms aaliyah were here today i definetly think she would be successful. i agree with those who are saying that she would be in the movies big time, i think that she was a good actress, especially for someone who didn't act much, her characters were believable. and it seems like casting directors really liked her and i have the feeling that hollywood and the entertainment industry in general had so many plans for her, there would have been so many opportunites for her and she would be fine.

musically i believe she would be fine too, there would be so many directions she could go in, different choreography for her videos and performances and different sounds for her music
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    honestly she would still come out with good music but she probably would go the ? route with everybody else
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    young chad wrote: »
    to me, when Aaliyah was alive, she carried herself a lot like Alicia Keys, so I think she'd be a lot like her now. Still private, elegant and classy.

Ugh...I was with you all the way until your last point. Alicia doesn't come off as too elegant or classy to me. Aaliyah is more like Janet Jackson in terms of elegance and class.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Alicia is definitely classy and elegant, in terms of aura.

A lot more classy than Janet.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Alicia is definitely classy and elegant, in terms of aura.

A lot more classy than Janet.

This is hard to explain, but let's see what I can do. In terms of how an artist presents themselves to their fans through music, interviews, etc. I wouldn't say Alicia isn't elegant or classy at all, but I sense a roughness from Alicia that takes away from her classiness and elegance. Alicia would definitely curse a ? out.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010

Ok, the budget was 25 million, it grossed 55million (18million the first week alone)..that was in the United States, and that doesn't include DVD sales. So Fail #1

Queen of the Damned, budget 35million, broke even (not including DVD sales)...and was an unfinished product...you know how RARE that is in film? As an aspiring film maker I can tell you right now that it almost never happens. Especially since everyone KNEW it was unfinished and didn't really feature Aaliyah too prominently.

Aaliyah's album had been on the charts for about 6 weeks before she died, and the week before she died sold 62,000 records...don't think she was #18 and selling 10k and had some magical "resurgence".

Her first 2 albums (Age aint nothin but a number) 2.5 million (One in a Million) 3 million. Hardly flops by ANYONE's standards...

AALIYAH debuted at #2 (while she was alive) with like 190,000 sold...and was Gold within 3 weeks.

I can't even BELIEVE someone asked who dubbed her the queen of rnb pop..like, are yall all under 21 in here? (Then I'd understand cuz that would make you about 11 when she died and you probably didn't know much about her influence).

Aaliyah's music was widely regarded as "pillow talk music"..it wasn't a "powerful" voice, but it was a beautiful one. Very soothing.

And to the person that said she wasn't a fashioniesta???!?!?!? SERIOUSLY!??!? Aaliyah, the same Aaliyah with the hair over her eye?!? THAT EVERY GIRL ROCKED?! The same Aaliyah that whenever she came out with a new video, EVERY girl went and copped the outfit?? SMH, your opinion doesn't even hold any value after that statement because you're obviously just looking for something to say without any factual evidence.

And to those that say how is Rihanna an Aaliyah clone, check out Aaliyah from the 90s and Rihanna when she first came out, in the baggy clothes with the boxers showing and the sports bra..

Just because someone dies doesn't mean you have to BELITTLE their success and attribute it to their death, ESPECIALLY if they were successful before they died.

What other RnB chick was doing movies while Aaliyah was doing them? Brandy? Monica? Destiny's Child? TLC? Mary J? Aaliyah took time off to go to school, came back, did soundtracks (Anastasia anyone?? youngest female to EVER perform at the Academy Awards, and youngest African American nominated for Best song??)

Are you That Somebody? DR DO LITTLE?!!? TRY AGAIN??? Romeo Must Die? I Don't Wanna??? Friday....

These are singles that were going platinum while she didn't even have albums out...then she was about to be in 2 Matrix movies, and you say what would that have done for her??? Really?? That's like saying what does Star Trek or Avatar do for Zoe Saldana. OF COURSE The Matrix didn't do much for Jada Pinkett, kinda hard to do something for someone who's already one of the most prominent african american women in Hollywood, as well as not WANTING to be in a lot of films!

Man this thread is lightweight disrespectful..but anyways..where do I think Aaliyah would be? Probably regarded as one of the best to do the music thing (Probably would've either signed to the ROC, or atleast done a few songs with Jay Z, Nas, etc)

I think her film career would've continued to take off, Queen of the Damned probably would've been better, and companied with the 2 Matrix film, she'd be the Urban film princess..probably be doing a few Tyler Perry films and releasing songs via soundtracks...to me, when Aaliyah was alive, she carried herself a lot like Alicia Keys, so I think she'd be a lot like her now. Still private, elegant and classy.

Wow, you just shut this ? down. Good post, Aaliyah hasn't obtained Legend status for nothing. Her legacy has grown this past decade. She was so damn fine, definitely a high School crush for me more than Brandy or Monica, LOL. Look at that face, I'm still in love, LOL. R.I.P. AALIYAH

320289310_e17fe51ae6.jpg
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Wasn't Aaliyah considered the "Princess of Hip-Hop Soul", one of Mary's heir apparents?

Aaliyah was already pushing icon status when she was alive, because she was long considered to have been one of the most influential r&b artists of the 90's...ranking up there with Mary, alike.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Ugh...I was with you all the way until your last point. Alicia doesn't come off as too elegant or classy to me. Aaliyah is more like Janet Jackson in terms of elegance and class.

Janet with the ? out at the Superbowl Janet? Janet with the nude sunbathing video Janet???

By Classy, I meant the way Alicia dresses at awards, and kept her private life private (until the Swiss Beats thing)..I'm honestly not a fan of either of them, but I can dig some of Alicia's music..and I liked her in The Secret Life of Bee's
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Aaliyah could've potentially been on par w/ Beyonce and Alicia status wise b/c she possessed something that Alicia and Beyonce don't have and that was an ear for forward progression. Craig Kallman (or one of them heads over Atlantic) gave Aaliyah a cd w/ Timbaland's beats on them. At the time, he was unknown. She heard them and used them. Even made them change some of the songs b/c the lyrics and song titles were different from the songs that we know today. Aaliyah introduced a whole new sound to contemporary R&B. Hip Hop and Pop music are now reaping the benefits of a sound that she was very much a part of discovering.

Also of note, I have no doubt that if she didn't die in '01, 2006 would've been the year that she would've more than likely been on par w/ Beyonce and Alicia if not surpassed them. Timbaland moved in totally different direction that year and became like one of the most influential producers in Pop music. An Aaliyah album that year would've been monstrous especially if Nelly Furtado's Loose is any indication of what he would've given Aaliyah. In 2007, her vocals on Timbo's "The Way I Are" would've launched her even further.
  • KillaCham
    edited May 2010
    LOL @ Aaliyah being legendary status. According to who? Don't turn her "legacy" into a ? joke now.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Aaliyah could've potentially been on par w/ Beyonce and Alicia status wise b/c she possessed something that Alicia and Beyonce don't have and that was an ear for forward progression. Craig Kallman (or one of them heads over Atlantic) gave Aaliyah a cd w/ Timbaland's beats on them. At the time, he was unknown. She heard them and used them. Even made them change some of the songs b/c the lyrics and song titles were different from the songs that we know today. Aaliyah introduced a whole new sound to contemporary R&B. Hip Hop and Pop music are now reaping the benefits of a sound that she was very much a part of discovering.

Also of note, I have no doubt that if she didn't die in '01, 2006 would've been the year that she would've more than likely been on par w/ Beyonce and Alicia if not surpassed them. Timbaland moved in totally different direction that year and became like one of the most influential producers in Pop music. An Aaliyah album that year would've been monstrous especially if Nelly Furtado's Loose is any indication of what he would've given Aaliyah. In 2007, her vocals on Timbo's "The Way I Are" would've launched her even further.

Excellent post.
  • KillaCham
    edited May 2010

You just sound like a hurt stan now. Her album was certified Gold for what it had shipped. As far as sales, it was around 300,000 and at number 50something a couple weeks before her death. The first single was a mainsteam flop and was unable to crossover, the initial second single "More Than A Woman" failed to crossover, so Blackground rush relased "Rock The Boat" and it immediately took off on Urban. That's what sparked interest in the album again, and that's why it was back into the Top 20. But picture a Beyone or Alicia album falling out the Top 50 within a few weeks of release. That'll probably never happen.

Rihanna was nothing like Aaliyah when she first came out. Stop trying to pin false innovation on this woman. Rihanna's sound or style was nothing like Aaliyah's, and Aaliyah didn't invent baggy jeans and a sports bra. WTF? If you wanna take it there then we can say Aaliyah's image was done before by Janet and TLC.

I'm not trying to undermine her accomplishments or the momentum around her during the release of that album, but people love to overrate the ? out of her and act like she was some almighty and untouchable force. And any remotely negative comments toward anything she's done is deemed disrespectful. A joke.
  • KillaCham
    edited May 2010
    Aaliyah introduced a whole new sound to contemporary R&B. Hip Hop and Pop music are now reaping the benefits of a sound that she was very much a part of discovering.
    Examples?
    This is all speculation. We don't know if this would've even happened, ESPECIALLY since part of Aaliyah's new sound was moving AWAY from Timbaland's. Her last album barely had any Timbo on it, compared to more than half of her 2nd album being Timbo's work.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Examples?

This is all speculation. We don't know if this would've even happened, ESPECIALLY since part of Aaliyah's new sound was moving AWAY from Timbaland's. Her last album barely had any Timbo on it, compared to more than half of her 2nd album being Timbo's work.

Examples?

From Rhapsody regarding Timbaland's sound:

His work for Missy Elliott and Aaliyah elevated those figures into the spotlight, and introduced a singular production aesthetic that incorporated tabla rhythms and electro flourishes.

You can hear Timbaland's influence in nearly every Southern and Midwestern producer, and his sound has been adopted by pop acts ranging from Justin Timberlake to Nelly Furtado. He is among the most respected figures in hip-hop, and in many ways is comparable to legendary pop producers such as Phil Spector.

http://www.rhapsody.com/timbaland

Would this have been possible had Timbaland not produced those 8 tracks from Aaliyah's One In A Million. That album launched Timbo as a producer and Missy as a songwriter which allowed them to further distance themselves away from Da Bassment and start their own crew w/ other former Bassment members Magoo, Playa and Ginuwine. One In A Million is what led Timbaland to fully produce Ginuwine's record which was originally produced by Devante w/ Timbo only producing "Pony."

Saying Aaliyah was moving away from Timbo's sound is also speculation. I mean, they had done quite a few tracks in between One In A Million which included several remixes for that album, solo Aaliyah joints for soundtracks, and stuff for other artists. When Aaliyah was putting Aaliyah out, Timbo was working on a new Tim & Magoo album, starting a record label, and producing other artists.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    With the release of "One In a Million", contemporary r&b went from the hip-hop soul, sample-heavy sound to a more pop-based sound, with electronic instrumentation and syncopated rhythms.

There's no doubt in my mind that artists like Ciara AND Rihanna, and yes, even Beyonce, all owe Aaliyah (and that album) a huge debt.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited May 2010
    she woulda fell off at some point (like in the mid 2000's) ...took a break, have a baby.... and she be trying to make a comeback right now.

she wouldnt be at no alicia keys and beyonce status though. she wasnt that great when she was alive, but just because she died ppl like to hype up what she could have been in terms of this huge megastar and bigger than beyonce etc.... c'mon now.