If Aaliyah was still alive...

Options
1235»

Comments

• pingpong
    pingpong Members Posts: 14
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If she was still alive we would definitely still have a lot more quality stuff out. So sad that she's gone.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nah she'll be doing more movies and comign out with albums off and on

and DMX wouldnt be on drugs too much neither
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If AALIYAH Was still alive, she would still be going PLATINUM in 2011. R.I.P.

aaliyah.jpg
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If Aaliyah were alive today, none of this ? would have survived music.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    When she was alive lot of artist who were popular then aren't popular now (Mya, Brandy,Monica,etc), you can't make assumptions like people can't fall off. Ginuwine fell the ? off and they are in the same camp and have similar talents.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    There'd be no wack ass Ciara or Keri Hilson for one thing...

Hell... That's more than enough of a reason to miss her and want her back.

She just had that special something that no other R&B chick has been able to duplicate. Word to B and Rihanna...
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    H2O Gates wrote: »

She just had that special something that no other R&B chick has been able to duplicate. Word to B and Rihanna...

Actually ciara said positive things about the late aaliyah on 106 & Park, so she gets my respect.
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    I'mma break this ? down in 4 Categories...

I. Popularity:

Aaliyah was a star from the moment she debuted. She came out at 15 with a hot ass album. She accomplished more than alot of artists do before her death at 22. She was ready for stardom from the get go. She was the princess of Hip Hop & R&B. Mary J. Blige was the Queen. She just had a way of combining silky, smooth R&B with enough Hip Hop swag that dude's could nod along to & still made it pop enough to be accepted mainstream.

Beyonce was 23 before she striked out on her own. She needed to be prepped for 6 years with Destiny's Child (97-03) before she had enough confidence to go solo. One ? , ? secret people pretend to forget is Bey needed a shitload of cosigns at first to insure that she'd blow. I definitely remember the anxiety people felt about whether or not Beyonce could do it on her own. Her first single featured Jay-Z, who was hot as ? at the time. Her second single featured Sean Paul, who was hot back in the early 2000s. Her third single had an Usher cameo who was blazing at the time with Confessions going Diamond. On the other hand, Aaliyah's first 4 singles, featured only herself, no other popular artists at the time, making her own way. Today.....Bey is the queen of Urban Pop. I give her congrats. People just tend to forget she had alot of help.

II. Sales:

Aaliyah's sold roughly 24-32 Million records worldwide. Beyonce's sold 100 Million records worldwide (30 Million as a solo artist apart from Destiny's Child). Similar numbers basically.

"Age Ain't Nothing but a Number" - 3x Platinum in United States. Sold 74,000 records first week.
    "One in a Million" - 3.7x Platinum in United States. 40,800 records first week.
    "Aaliyah" - 2.95x Platinum in United States. 190,000 records first week.

Anyone who feels Aaliyah's 3rd album meant she was falling off was sadly, sadly mistaken. She had her highest first week numbers with that album. Throughout her career, she was always a slow seller. She never had high first week numbers. Her album was always grinded & worked throughout the year, picking up steam with multiple singles. She sold even better outside America.

III. Musical & Career Impact:

Aaliyah's discography ? on Beyonce's. Bey makes microwave music. Music that fills the clubs & excites the industry for the short term but, no one will listen to that ? later on. Aaliyah still had music that moved in the clubs but, her music felt more real. I still listen to Aaliyah's ? & it still feels sooooooo relevant. I'll put 4 of their hottest songs & you tell me who sounds more "temporary" out the two. Beyonce also oversaturates the market. Bey just now took a break from the muthafuckin TV screen. Aaliyah allowed time in between her albums to let the music sink in.

Aaliyah - Are That You Somebody

Beyonce - Crazy in Love
    Aaliyah - I Don't Wanna
    Beyonce - Single Ladies
    Aaliyah - One in a Million
    Beyonce - Irreplaceable
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Beyonce - Baby Boy

I feel Aaliyah's music more. ? was the perfect blend of Hip Hop & R&B....besides what Mary J. Blige & Lauryn Hill was doing. Its not even close to me. I can listen to some of Aaliyah's ? forever. Concerning Hollywood...both chicks could barely act but, Aaliyah was more of a natural than Beyonce. Aaliyah could've gotten better with an acting coach. I just believed Aaliyah more as an actor than I did Bey & her career would've got a big upstart with the role she got in "The Matrix"

000RMD_Aaliyah_016.jpg
    000RMD_Aaliyah_035.jpg
    Ali-Larter-and-Beyonce-Kn-001.jpg

IV. Dance & Singing Ability:

Beyonce can dance. Aaliyah can dance. No beef. Beyonce's a better singer. Aaliyah made better material. No beef. I'm sure Aaliyah's voice would've got better as she got older, seeing as she died at 22. I'd listen to a singer with an above average voice & amazing songs over a singer with an excellent voice & ? club anthems.

Closing:

Beyonce would've probably still became an Icon. I cant dismiss her accomplishments...but, Aaliyah would've still been doing her thing. Kinda like Alicia Keys but, bigger. In a sense that she wouldn't have been a World Icon on every Magazine but, everytime she dropped an album, it would've sold extremely well. Aaliyah would've slowly transitioned into Hollywood. I'd choose Aaliyah over Beyonce everyday. Shawty was Hip Hop's princess...yall need not forget that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSuZx8Ov4OqfEeOFGrxmN_XMj-7-RsdVBmxmc01OdAcwB-3DPymA&t=1

I wrote alot but, I was bored. Sue me.

This ? here should've closed the thread.

Cosign the sales part especially. People always say Aaliyah would've fallen off because her last album didn't do too well before she died. What they forget to add is.......like my man said above.......her last album was her highest debut of all of her 3 albums. Aaliyah was never a high seller in the first week. She always had multiple singles/music videos and grinded her album over the years to multi platinum success. Props to this ? .
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    H2O Gates wrote: »

Correction there would have been no Ciara, Keri Hilson, or Rihanna if Aaliyah was still here.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    I'mma break this ? down in 4 Categories...

I. Popularity:

Aaliyah was a star from the moment she debuted. She came out at 15 with a hot ass album. She accomplished more than alot of artists do before her death at 22. She was ready for stardom from the get go. She was the princess of Hip Hop & R&B. Mary J. Blige was the Queen. She just had a way of combining silky, smooth R&B with enough Hip Hop swag that dude's could nod along to & still made it pop enough to be accepted mainstream.

Beyonce was 23 before she striked out on her own. She needed to be prepped for 6 years with Destiny's Child (97-03) before she had enough confidence to go solo. One ? , ? secret people pretend to forget is Bey needed a shitload of cosigns at first to insure that she'd blow. I definitely remember the anxiety people felt about whether or not Beyonce could do it on her own. Her first single featured Jay-Z, who was hot as ? at the time. Her second single featured Sean Paul, who was hot back in the early 2000s. Her third single had an Usher cameo who was blazing at the time with Confessions going Diamond. On the other hand, Aaliyah's first 4 singles, featured only herself, no other popular artists at the time, making her own way. Today.....Bey is the queen of Urban Pop. I give her congrats. People just tend to forget she had alot of help.

II. Sales:

Aaliyah's sold roughly 24-32 Million records worldwide. Beyonce's sold 100 Million records worldwide (30 Million as a solo artist apart from Destiny's Child). Similar numbers basically.

"Age Ain't Nothing but a Number" - 3x Platinum in United States. Sold 74,000 records first week.
    "One in a Million" - 3.7x Platinum in United States. 40,800 records first week.
    "Aaliyah" - 2.95x Platinum in United States. 190,000 records first week.

Anyone who feels Aaliyah's 3rd album meant she was falling off was sadly, sadly mistaken. She had her highest first week numbers with that album. Throughout her career, she was always a slow seller. She never had high first week numbers. Her album was always grinded & worked throughout the year, picking up steam with multiple singles. She sold even better outside America.

III. Musical & Career Impact:

Aaliyah's discography ? on Beyonce's. Bey makes microwave music. Music that fills the clubs & excites the industry for the short term but, no one will listen to that ? later on. Aaliyah still had music that moved in the clubs but, her music felt more real. I still listen to Aaliyah's ? & it still feels sooooooo relevant. I'll put 4 of their hottest songs & you tell me who sounds more "temporary" out the two. Beyonce also oversaturates the market. Bey just now took a break from the muthafuckin TV screen. Aaliyah allowed time in between her albums to let the music sink in.

Aaliyah - Are That You Somebody

Beyonce - Crazy in Love
    Aaliyah - I Don't Wanna
    Beyonce - Single Ladies
    Aaliyah - One in a Million
    Beyonce - Irreplaceable
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Beyonce - Baby Boy

I feel Aaliyah's music more. ? was the perfect blend of Hip Hop & R&B....besides what Mary J. Blige & Lauryn Hill was doing. Its not even close to me. I can listen to some of Aaliyah's ? forever. Concerning Hollywood...both chicks could barely act but, Aaliyah was more of a natural than Beyonce. Aaliyah could've gotten better with an acting coach. I just believed Aaliyah more as an actor than I did Bey & her career would've got a big upstart with the role she got in "The Matrix"

000RMD_Aaliyah_016.jpg
    000RMD_Aaliyah_035.jpg
    Ali-Larter-and-Beyonce-Kn-001.jpg

IV. Dance & Singing Ability:

Beyonce can dance. Aaliyah can dance. No beef. Beyonce's a better singer. Aaliyah made better material. No beef. I'm sure Aaliyah's voice would've got better as she got older, seeing as she died at 22. I'd listen to a singer with an above average voice & amazing songs over a singer with an excellent voice & ? club anthems.

Closing:

Beyonce would've probably still became an Icon. I cant dismiss her accomplishments...but, Aaliyah would've still been doing her thing. Kinda like Alicia Keys but, bigger. In a sense that she wouldn't have been a World Icon on every Magazine but, everytime she dropped an album, it would've sold extremely well. Aaliyah would've slowly transitioned into Hollywood. I'd choose Aaliyah over Beyonce everyday. Shawty was Hip Hop's princess...yall need not forget that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSuZx8Ov4OqfEeOFGrxmN_XMj-7-RsdVBmxmc01OdAcwB-3DPymA&t=1

I wrote alot but, I was bored. Sue me.

This ^^^^ is how you shut down a thread
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I wrote about her at my blog and it went like this

You often hear stories of famous people when they pass away and most of the time it dont even get a shoulder shrug. Not to be cruel but these people dont know you and im not into hero worship. However the loss of Aaliyah Haughton on Aug 25th, 2001 felt different then your typical celeb death! It was completely innocent and not her fault like so many music stars that passed away early due to Drug overdoses or senseless violence. In her case it was a plane crash. When she died it felt like losing a family member. I remember the day it happened like yesterday. I had just come home from a baseball game with my girlfriend at the time, and she called me and told me the terrible news she had just heard Aaliyah had died and my heart sunk like a stone. I FELT this one and i was shocked. It seemed like the worst thing in the world at the time until Sep 11th happened about 3 weeks in the future. Aaliyah made a major contribution in her short stay on this planet. From overcoming the association of the R Kelly Underage Marriage debacle to teaming up with Missy Elliot and Timbaland and putting together classics that will never die like One In A million, If Your Girl Only Knew, Are You That Somebody, Try Again, I Dont Wanna, Rock The Boat, and More Than A Woman. and theres more theres plenty more..

One In A Million in 1996 Changed R&B Forever. i created a new format in which a Ballad had bounce and big head knocking beats and bass like a rap song and blurred the difference between what was R&B and rap forever. songs like Usher "Nice and slow" and others inspired by it came soon after

Crazy Hot Tracks
  • Alisterz
    Alisterz Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If she was still alive. Collab with Rihanna would be a hit. Or Lady Gaga perhaps? I don't know.