Why do people like to make fun of black nerds, but then bask in their achievements?

allreasoned_out
allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
If a black guy were to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry or something like that you know people would be taking pride in his achievement. The thing is, some of these same people make fun of nerds (or at least used to). This actually happens for lesser honors.

Why do they do that?

Comments

• allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    It goes for all races.

Well, black people least of all should be doing that since we are far behind in certain 'nerdy' fields.

And actually, I don't think all races really do that to the same extent.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    ...and its because nerds are lame.

sure are....
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    fiat_money wrote: »
    "Nerd" has a negative connotation because of the "negative" personality traits it's defined as having. Not because of the level intellect or academic success.

nerd

Main Entry: nerd
    Pronunciation: \ˈnərd\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: perhaps from nerd, a creature in the children's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950) by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
    Date: 1951
    : an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>
    nerd·i·ness \ˈnər-dē-nəs\ noun
    nerd·ish \ˈnər-dish\ adjective
    nerdy \-dē\ adjective

In other words: "Wack question."
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    In other words: "Wack question."

Even if nerds have "negative personality traits" they are the ones most likely to be successful in many fields. And these very fields blacks have been lagging far behind.
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2010
    Even if nerds have "negative personality traits" they are the ones most likely to be successful in many fields. And these very fields blacks have been lagging far behind.

they not successful in the fields that matter to everyday people tho
    which are but not limited to: gettin ? , gettin money, madden
    you think a regular everyday ass ? give a ? about a ? gettin a nobel prize for anything other than combining beer, weed, and hot wings?
    no
    they don't
  • fiat_money
    edited May 2010
    And that's what they're made fun of for, their "negative" personality traits.

I've never heard of, "Haha, you're most likely to be successful in many fields!" being used as an insult.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    you think a regular everyday ass ? give a ? about a ? gettin a nobel prize for anything other than combining beer, weed, and hot wings?
    no
    they don't

That just tells me there is a problem with "everyday ass ? ". I doubt it was always that way, and it shouldn't be that way.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    no
    they don't

hilarious...
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2010
    That just tells me there is a problem with "everyday ass ? ". I doubt it was always that way, and it shouldn't be that way.

bruh
    you think it was a time when black people would sit around the fireplace
    readin shakespeare n ? to each other?
    discussing politics n ? ?
    hell naw
  • fiat_money
    edited May 2010
    Deezy625 wrote: »
    what negative personality traits?
    . .
    : an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person;...
  • betterthenu84
    betterthenu84 Members Posts: 861
    edited May 2010
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    And that's what they're made fun of for, their "negative" personality traits.

I've never heard of, "Haha, you're most likely to be successful in many fields!" being used as an insult.

I'm not saying that they are made of fun of their success. I'm saying that the people who have these so-called negative traits are the ones likely to be successful in the areas where blacks haven't had that much success compared to other races. And people make fun of them for what they are but they obtain their achievements in part because of what they are. When others celebrate their achievements they are in effect celebrating some of the very qualities that they made fun of them for.
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2010
    I heart nerds :(

thumbnail.aspx?q=15130102031&id=0760567cb07ccd45af3a52ac8bdfd5f1&index=ch1&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.zaazu.com%2fimg%2fgeek02-anim-geek-male-boy-smiley-emoticon-000350-large.gif
    show a ? yo feet then
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    bruh
    you think it was a time when black people would sit around the fireplace
    readin shakespeare n ? to each other?
    discussing politics n ? ?
    hell naw

Not what I said or meant. I mean everyday people in the past would have been more thrilled at black achievement in things like Chemistry, Physics, etc. Even if they didn't understand these fields they would recognize that the person had struck a blow against the widely held view that we can't do things like that, and so struck a blow for black progress.
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2010
    I'm not saying that they are made of fun of their success. I'm saying that the people who have these so-called negative traits are the ones likely to be successful in the areas where blacks haven't had that much success compared to other races. And people make fun of them for what they are but they obtain their achievements in part because of what they are. When others celebrate their achievements they are in effect celebrating some of the very qualities that they made fun of them for.

i ain't never heard of a ? bein made fun of for being smart
    its the way a ? go about bein smart thats get you laughed at
    you can be smart and "cool" at the same time
    nerds can't find that balance tho
    which is why they're nerds
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    i'm not saying that they are made of fun of their success. I'm saying that the people who have these so-called negative traits are the ones likely to be successful in the areas where blacks haven't had that much success compared to other races. And people make fun of them for what they are but they obtain their achievements in part because of what they are. When others celebrate their achievements they are in effect celebrating some of the very qualities that they made fun of them for.

^^^^^stupid ass

because we were slaves for a long ass time, and black people didnt have the same opportunity for a long ass time.. Damn ? we just got our first black president..

Give us some time to catch up bro
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010

Not what I'm saying.
  • Shizlansky
    edited May 2010

^^^Correct Statment end of topic

p.s. i hate that word "cool" it makes no sense to me. But i know what u sayin
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    ^^^^^stupid ass

because we were slaves for a long ass time, and black people didnt have the same opportunity for a long ass time.. Damn ? we just got our first black president..

Give us some time to catch up bro

This is getting tiresome. Explain how what you're saying contradicts what I said?
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2010
    Not what I'm saying.

so what is you sayin, b?
    and why is you hard on thugs?
    gross
  • Shizlansky
    edited May 2010
    This is getting tiresome. Explain how what you're saying contradicts what I said?

u said blacks havent had much success compared to other races, and i said give it some time and we will eventually catch up... the statement was simple bro..

ima just drop cuz this gon go on forever
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2010
    u said blacks havent had much success compared to other races, and i said give it some time and we will eventually catch up... the statement was simple bro..

ima just drop cuz this gon go on forever

So what you're saying is: nothing you said really contradicts what I said.

BTW if people keep making fun of black nerds blacks won't ever catch up.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    because nerds are lame. just because you smart doesnt mean you have to look funny and be socially akward....thats why nerds of all races get ? on
  • RudeDeLaTrill
    RudeDeLaTrill Members Posts: 259
    edited May 2010
    how you know the person is a nerd just because they achieved something in a scientific field tho?
    a ? can be intelligent&not socially inept =\
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    How many times have you made this thread? Diversify your bonds ? .