Which one of these artists will be inducted into the R&R HOF first?

Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Whitney Houston

Janet Jackson

Mariah Carey

Mary J. Blige

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Whitney shes the oldest/started earliers.. its exactly in that order.. i dk if you notice.. but thats hwo it would go
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    I don't know.

This is Whitney's first year being eligible. If she doesn't pull a Madonna and be inducted her first year, I don't think she's gonna get in.
    And Janet has been eligible for about three years already, and she still hasn't gotten in.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Mary will be inducted first. It's not always about numbers with these folks. Those who have been inducted already all have one thing in common...they've contributed something, artistically, to their respective genres and music as a whole...besides numbers. And Mary being credited with combining hip hop and soul music should be enough to guarantee her induction first year.

Mariah...I love her dearly. But I don't think she has the catalog (or critical acclaim) to be inducted. Which is sad, because she's probably the most influential of them all.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Whitney shes the oldest/started earliers.. its exactly in that order.. i dk if you notice.. but thats hwo it would go

• Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Janet was doing this before Whitney, though.

This was Whitney's first year being eligible; Janet has been eligible for 3 or so years.

Of the four, Mary has the most going for her because she has the most critically acclaimed catalog.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited May 2010
    Whitney.... then Mariah.... then Janet... then Mary.

Mary has not accomplished as much as the others...... in terms of record sales, #1 hits, awards etc... she's behind.

IMO I think Janet and Whiteny should already be in the R&R HOF.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    Whitney.... then Mariah.... then Janet... then Mary.

Mary has not accomplished as much as the others...... in terms of record sales, #1 hits, awards etc... she's behind.

IMO I think Janet and Whiteny should already be in the R&R HOF.

This isn't criteria for R&R HOF, though. That's why I've tried to stress this. Musical accomplishments, i.e #1 songs, album sales, awards, etc...do NOT guarantee induction.

If you look at who has been inducted so far, they all have critically acclaimed catalogs and have contributed something artistic, on a landmark level.

Like everyone who has been inducted so far, Mary has an extremely critically acclaimed catalog, so that's what I think one ups her compared to the other three. That, and the fact that she's credited with combining hip-hop and soul music should catapult her to frontrunner status.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after their first LP. This was Whitney's first of eligibility, and Janet has been eligible for about three years already. Mariah becomes eligible in 2015, and Mary in 2017.
  • mrjun18
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    This isn't criteria for R&R HOF, though. That's why I've tried to stress this. Musical accomplishments, i.e #1 songs, album sales, awards, etc...do NOT guarantee induction.

If you look at who has been inducted so far, they all have critically acclaimed catalogs and have contributed something artistic, on a landmark level.

Like everyone who has been inducted so far, Mary has an extremely critically acclaimed catalog, so that's what I think one ups her compared to the other three. That, and the fact that she's credited with combining hip-hop and soul music should catapult her to frontrunner status.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after their first LP. This was Whitney's first of eligibility, and Janet has been eligible for about three years already. Mariah becomes eligible in 2015, and Mary in 2017.

Oh word? I had no idea there was no such criteria needed. I assumed basically since its a Hall Of Fame (like an NBA Hall of fame you need certain stats or accomplishments to get in. lol)....In that case Mary would be eligible in 2017, but she still wont get in before the other 3 divas. I just dont see it happening, (Although Mary J is my favorite artists out of the 4 artists mentioned by far).

2017 comes by and Mariah, Janet and Whitney are not in the hall of fame by then, but they induct Mary.... that would really be something. LOL.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    Oh word? I had no idea there was no such criteria needed. I assumed basically since its a Hall Of Fame (like an NBA Hall of fame you need certain stats or accomplishments to get in. lol)....In that case Mary would be eligible in 2017, but she still wont get in before the other 3 divas. I just dont see it happening, (Although Mary J is my favorite artists out of the 4 artists mentioned by far).

2017 comes by and Mariah, Janet and Whitney are not in the hall of fame by then, but they induct Mary.... that would really be something. LOL.

LOL. I LOVE Mariah. In fact, she's my all time favorite female artist. But career wise...I don't know. She just doesn't have that critical acclaim. She has numbers, but no classics. And I think that's what hurts her...her music isn't highly regarded. Which is sad because she's probably the most influential out of the four.

Janet has some critical acclaim, but she should've been inducted by now. And I just looked it up. Whitney didn't get in this year.

You know Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, and Gladys Knight haven't been inducted yet? LOL. But Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, and Etta James have been.
  • mrjun18
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    LOL. I LOVE Mariah. In fact, she's my all time favorite female artist. But career wise...I don't know. She just doesn't have that critical acclaim. She has numbers, but no classics. And I think that's what hurts her...her music isn't highly regarded. Which is sad because she's probably the most influential out of the four.

Janet has some critical acclaim, but she should've been inducted by now. And I just looked it up. Whitney didn't get in this year.

You know Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, and Gladys Knight haven't been inducted yet? LOL. But Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, and Etta James have been.

I agree. Mariah is mostly a singles artists.....no classic albums, but she will be voted in just off that "best selling female artist" title she holds, and her 18 #1 hits on the Hot 100 she has racked up. All them broads will eventually get in at one point (Gladys, Patti, Mariah, Mary etc..) but it will take some time. Some will just get in before other do.

Janet though has a lot of critical acclaim... just off of Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 alone.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Mariah and Whitney will get in. Say whatever you want about their "critical acclaim" and numbers not being everything. These chicks don't have just any old numbers...they have THE numbers. On some "of all-time" type ? ...a few of em at that. Their are "record breakers"...and then there are RECORD BREAKERS. Whitney and Mariah are the latter. Plus their voices are legendary. The are literally widely considered the best singers...ever. Sure, you can argue it...but the argument will ALWAYS include the two of them and whoever you are arguing for will be pitted against them...always.

Janet will get in too. She may be 3 years deep in eligibility, but her music career didn't really pop off till 4 years after her first album.

I think Mary will get in also, and rightfully so, she may just have a longer wait like Patti & Chaka. Gladys Knight was inducted with the Pips way back in the mid-90's. Not sure she deserves it as a solo act, so to me, she's already in.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    focus wrote: »
    Mariah and Whitney will get in. Say whatever you want about their "critical acclaim" and numbers not being everything. These chicks don't have just any old numbers...they have THE numbers. On some "of all-time" type ? ...a few of em at that. Their are "record breakers"...and then there are RECORD BREAKERS. Whitney and Mariah are the latter. Plus their voices are legendary. The are literally widely considered the best singers...ever. Sure, you can argue it...but the argument will ALWAYS include the two of them and whoever you are arguing for will be pitted against them...always.

Janet will get in too. She may be 3 years deep in eligibility, but her music career didn't really pop off till 4 years after her first album.

I think Mary will get in also, and rightfully so, she may just have a longer wait like Patti & Chaka. Gladys Knight was inducted with the Pips way back in the mid-90's. Not sure she deserves it as a solo act, so to me, she's already in.

That's the thing.

If you look at past (and current inductees), it's been more about catalog than numbers. And this has been the pattern since the initial induction. And that's what I think is going to hurt both Whitney and Mariah, because they just don't have that critical acclaim, as far as repertoire goes.

Look at who was inducted this year...ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies, and The Stooges. The fact that Whitney was passed up for these four acts, let's us know that numbers isn't the deciding factor here. And I think if someone like Whitney was going to be inducted, she would've pulled a Madonna and got inducted her first year of eligibility. But Whitney just doesn't have the catalog that Madonna has, as far as critical acclaim goes...despite having "the numbers."

I think this is the reason why Celine Dion hasn't been inducted yet, too. Despite being eligible for years...like Janet.

Mary seems to have the Madonna factor, as far as catalog goes. In retrospect, she's had the more landmark career out of the four, with regard to critical acclaim.