Atheism That I Can Respect

unspoken_respect
unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Wafa Sultan

The professor of my Comparative Religion class had a guest speaker come to our class Monday and this is a clip he showed us.

Comments

• imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    nice vid

but whats with the thread title? atheism isn't worthy of respect, whereas believing in a ? because someone told you to is respectable? Maybe I misinterpreted that, but that is some backwards ass ? .

edit: didn't even realize where I was posting.
  • unspoken_respect
    edited November 2011
    imm0rt4l wrote: »
    nice vid

but whats with the thread title? atheism isn't worthy of respect, whereas believing in a ? because someone told you to is respectable? Maybe I misinterpreted that, but that is some backwards ass ? .

edit: didn't even realize where I was posting.

The title isn't backwards if you understand what I mean by saying that. With me, two people come to mind when I think of atheist.

1. People who are atheist and it seems that their sole purpose in life is to convince others to be atheist. They don't care about humanity as a whole, just that their "there is no ? " message gets across to anyone that will listen. They generally say shocking or obnoxious things for attention and that is about it.

2. People who are atheist because they see how harmful religion is to society. How it causes violence and inequality.

That is what I mean by atheism I can respect.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    The title isn't backwards if you understand what I mean by saying that. With me, two people come to mind when I think of atheist.

1. People who are atheist and it seems that their sole purpose in life is to convince others to be atheist. They don't care about humanity as a whole, just that their "there is no ? " message gets across to anyone that will listen. They generally say shocking or obnoxious things for attention and that is about it.

2. People who are atheist because they see how harmful religion is to society. How it causes violence and inequality.

don't forget the ? that become atheist because they're suddenly all like "wahhhh, no loving ? would be this cruel" after their wife dies of cancer or something.

lol @ having no beef with ? for letting say...........THE HOLOCAUST happen, but trippin when somebody close to YOU suddenly catches Death's ? Hand.
  • unspoken_respect
    edited November 2011
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    don't forget the ? that become atheist because they're suddenly all like "wahhhh, no loving ? would be this cruel" after their wife dies of cancer or something.

lol @ having no beef with ? for letting say...........THE HOLOCAUST happen, but trippin when somebody close to YOU suddenly catches Death's ? Hand.

*adds to list of atheist types*
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    More like: "Person with ideologies/philosophies I can respect, who happens to be an atheist."
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Well despite her annoying voice nobody wishes to call her ? out? I mean she saying 'jews' don't hurt other people(Israel cough cough) and \l ? is saying HUMANITY owns most of its 19th and 20th century scientific discoveries to jews......she also says muslims started this ? 1400 years ago by dividing people into non muslims and muslims, as if christians, jews and many other people didn't have the same retoric....and this is why there is a so called 'clash of civilisations' cause muslims started it? come on now( alot of things happened the last 1400 years son).

obviously she has negative experiences at home/where she is from and has therfor developed anti islamic tendencies or else she wouldn't say ? like 'jews didn't fly into a german restaurant/destroy churches' eventhough 'jews' in israel were/are indeed killin/destroying in Israel/Palestine like their life is depending on it.

I can respect anyone's opinion/hang with them, as long as they are not spittin ? , whether they are atheists or non atheists I don't care.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    You mean, more like:...
    Nah, I meant:
    fiat_money wrote: »
    More like: "Person with ideologies/philosophies I can respect, who happens to be an atheist."
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited November 2011

I am wondering how one can belong to set #2 and not adopt aspects of set #1. If I know religion to be harmful, which it is, how do I not to convince others of this fact?
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited November 2011
    Exactly! People are so selective and selfish when they decide about religion.
    Swiffness! wrote: »