Options
2»

Comments

• kingofharts
    kingofharts Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Many interesting perspectives....

I think most rappers tend to be more personal with first albums, since like they tend to say they spent their whole lives writing that first joint.

I do think AD was more diverse in terms of subject matter, plus I'm biased so at least it was a couple songs with that gogo hybrid production he started out getting known for. I mean come on he had Shades on there, which is a very personal song dealing with a crazy subject. That aside, yeah I think they reached too much for the pop sound.

But Ambition just fell into the right lane, as far as his team and being more in line with what the "right" sound is right now. There's still depth here too, with Chain Music, and DC or Nothing. However, it's just way too much chick type songs. At one point he rattles off like 4 of these joints straight.

That being said I guess I'd go with Ambition very narrowly. Less completely unlistenable tracks.
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    AD was a solid ass debut album. IDK why ? say it sucked. It did have more of a "keep ya head up" feel to it at times. Ambition was better overall album to me tho, showed a lil more range. "Ambition" is my ? tho.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    nah, chillin was just a wacc ass song period...not close to any song on ambition..
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Who gives a ? , Wal-E is the worst thing to happen to rap....
    I see why a geek ? like hlf would praise this hoe ass ? ....
  • Robothug
    Robothug Members Posts: 28
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I know most don't agree but I llikes Attention Def better. The production on Ambition did'nt seem to suit Wale at times.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    It's a tie for me. AD for the content and Ambition for the production. Both 3.5 mic albums to me.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Oh yea... Wale's old mixtapes are better than his new ones. New includes More About Nothing. *Been a fan since 07 post*
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Attention Deficit

I'm still trying to digest whole Ambition album and it's hard with cliched subject matter, ? ass hooks (like the one by Jermih - wtf? I was thinking it was some ? singing that hook) and fake posturing.AD was definitely closer to Wale's vision. Even with Gaga and Pharrell wack ass track it was superior to Ambition. And don't forget Beautiful Bliss which ? on anything your favourite rapper did. While I'm not dissing Wale's new album, after a few listenings it's still missing something and I feel a bit disappointed,
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Exactly, AD was a good ass album and I'll never understand the hate for it...

Musically&Cohesively: Ambiton >>>>

Lyrically: Attention Deficit >>>>>>

this here...I think AD has better individual songs, but Ambition is a much better put together album
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Attention Deficit

I'm still trying to digest whole Ambition album and it's hard with cliched subject matter, ? ass hooks (like the one by Jermih - wtf? I was thinking it was some ? singing that hook) and fake posturing.AD was definitely closer to Wale's vision. Even with Gaga and Pharrell wack ass track it was superior to Ambition. And don't forget Beautiful Bliss which ? on anything your favourite rapper did. While I'm not dissing Wale's new album, after a few listenings it's still missing something and I feel a bit disappointed,

I was in the car like 2 week ago driving with my father and That Way came on and the first thing he says is, "Who is this girl singing with Wale?" (my dad's a huge hip-hop fan so he actually does know Wale's music) and I cracked up laughing when he realized it was a dude singing the hook
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    damn i dont know why chillin featuring lady gaga gets so much hate. that was the first wale song i've ever heard and that got me into him. dude's spittin imo, plus the hook is a lil catchy. i think some of you only hate cause it's lady gaga, but if it was someone else singing that hook word for word you wouldn't mind

I remember when it first came out, people were actually feeling it cause they thought it was M.I.A. on the hook. As soon as they found out it was in fact Lady Gaga, it became a pop song! lmao
  • MrCrafty
    MrCrafty Members Posts: 1,624
    edited November 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    this here...I think AD has better individual songs, but Ambition is a much better put together album

this.........
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Some ppl are gonna say Attention Deficit cause they aint fans of the MMG movement. Truth

Ambition is unadulterated HipHop music without the Gucci Mane or Lady Gaga ? that Interscope put on there for cross-marketing purposes. Aint nothing Pop-tart about Ambition which is why it flew off the shelves unlike that Mark Ronson trash.

Ambition was the album that Wale wanted to make with his newfound creative control, Attention deficit wa the album that Jimmy Iovine wanted....thats according to Wale not me.

Why u biting me tho? And if u feel that way, say names.

Wale had to make up something to say about his new album that's not so much different then his 1st one outside of diff pop names
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The last verse on Legendary>>>>any verse on Attention Deficit.
  • Stew
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The last verse on Legendary>>>>any verse on Attention Deficit.

AZ verse on "Lifes A ? ">>>>95% of Illmatic............and?
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »

And the boy was rapping his ass off on Ambition. you probably one of them silly ? who hates chain music too huh?
  • Stew
    edited November 2011
    Options
    And the boy was rapping his ass off on Ambition. you probably one of them silly ? who hates chain music too huh?

Nope, actually my fav track on the album
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »

Wasn't even the best verse on that song
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hmmm I would have to say Attention Deficit for the simple fact i remember more songs off that album, Ambition hasn't stuck to me yet. I don't like the r and b joints on Ambition, ? 's too soft.
  • Stew
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wasn't even the best verse on that song

your opinion but clearly not the point i was making
  • dizzmatic89
    dizzmatic89 Members Posts: 721
    edited November 2011
    Options
    mos def ambition
  • Stew
    edited November 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Hmmm I would have to say Attention Deficit for the simple fact i remember more songs off that album, Ambition hasn't stuck to me yet. I don't like the r and b joints on Ambition, ? 's too soft.

Them ? is horrible. Skip
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think some ? is tryin to hard just to not like the dude. Its alot of folks in here now claimin AD was better, but before Ambition dropped, it was only a few ppl on here that said they liked the album and generally hated on dude. Now, all of a sudden folks are "AD was WAYYYY better". Lyrically hes still spitin, Production wise its an album you can bump w/o fallin asleep. I liked both albums, but I prefer Ambition, the ? plays nice in the car, and has higher replay value then AD.
  • Stew
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ibedamned wrote: »
    I think some ? is tryin to hard just to not like the dude. Its alot of folks in here now claimin AD was better, but before Ambition dropped, it was only a few ppl on here that said they liked the album and generally hated on dude. Now, all of a sudden folks are "AD was WAYYYY better". Lyrically hes still spitin, Production wise its an album you can bump w/o fallin asleep. I liked both albums, but I prefer Ambition, the ? plays nice in the car, and has higher replay value then AD.

Idk bruh I think the album was pretty well rated outside of the pop features he had