What proof is there that the bible was edited?

SL8Rok
SL8Rok Members Posts: 154
edited May 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I've seen this old chest nut rearing its ugly head yet again (along with the Jesus is horus bit) and I would like to see if anybody this time is able to prove or atleast provide a good argument that the bible was edited.

Comments

• theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    it's in english
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Believe what you want to believe, man. Nothing we do or show you would change your mind anyway.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    Believe what you want to believe, man. Nothing we do or show you would change your mind anyway.

And nothing we do changes your mind.

He's just asking a question.

It's not about asking how it was it edited into english but proof it was edited, words taken out and words put in to change the meaning of verses or chapters. I've always heard it's been changed like that and always wondered how they knew that.
  • theillestrator
    edited May 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    And nothing we do changes your mind.

He's just asking a question.

It's not about asking how it was it edited into english but proof it was edited, words taken out and words put in to change the meaning of verses or chapters. I've always heard it's been changed like that and always wondered how they knew that.

Translate any foreign film/book/article and keep the message 100% the same. Probably won't happen right? Why would a long ass book like the bible be any different. Can followers of the bible afford those mistakes? I certainly think not.
  • VIBE
    edited May 2010
    Translate any foreign film/book/article and keep the message 100% the same. Probably won't happen right? Why would a long ass book like the bible be any different. Can followers of the bible afford those mistakes? I certainly think not.

Then it wasn't CHANGED to make it a bible of lies but mistranslated, simple as that. You guys make it sound like it was changed for the bad, to purposely alter the bible.
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Then it wasn't CHANGED to make it a bible of lies but mistranslated, simple as that. You guys make it sound like it was changed for the bad, to purposely alter the bible.

you never know. there are arguements that jesus said certain things when he was crucified and there are arguements that he said nothing at all. if it came out that the bible was edited i would not find it hard to believe. look at the fact that the original bible is in a language that no longer exists. even if somehow you found it there is no way you can see what it says. and think about that if people could go back in time and edit the bible the bible today would be so ? up no one would wanna follow it
  • theillestrator
    edited May 2010

who is "you guys?" I'm speaking for myself, I haven't made it sound anyway. I don't and won't believe in the bible no matter what language it's in.
  • VIBE
    edited May 2010
    who is "you guys?" I'm speaking for myself, I haven't made it sound anyway. I don't and won't believe in the bible no matter what language it's in.

Then don't worry if you know you're not included. If you speak for yourself that's good. When I state things like that, I'm not meaning literally YOU and who I'm talking to. I'm just speaking in general.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Somethings was left out. Like Jesus never died he actually hid for three days, came out and showed himself then went back in hiding.
    Exit the building
  • Rock_Well
    edited May 2010
    Oh, and there is no proof. All speculation.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Oh, and there is no proof. All speculation.

He asked was it edited not about if its real
  • Rock_Well
    edited May 2010
    He asked was it edited not about if its real

I know, there's no proof of this.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    I know, there's no proof of this.

? , I was pointing out theres no proof its contents are real either.
  • Rock_Well
    edited May 2010
    ? , I was pointing out theres no proof its contents are real either.

Exit the building
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    If any of us common ? could get into the vatican's library......
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    I think the fact that there are so many different versions with different books added to and taken from, proves such.

These people actually sat down and decided what they wanted to leave in and take out. Who gave them that authority? The King? Emperor?

Just a rudimentary knowledge of the Hebrew text and you can see the difference in meanings of the text. Certain things are purposely mistranslated to deceive people.

For instance all throughout the Bible, the word ? is used. Well in the Hebrew text, "Bethulah" corresponds with that word. However, in some cases "Almah" was used. This word does not mean ? , it means young woman. The Greeks with their limited language simply put a word there "parthenos" that means ? , but the hebrew text just denotes her as a young woman. This gave credence to the ? birth nonsense that is still believed today.

Some fools will argue the correctness of the Greek Septugaint and don't even know the Hebrew origin to make comparison. This is silly.

Semitic Languages are vastly different in expression than English or Greek. You can use the same word in a different arrangement and change the whole complexity and meaning of the word. Take the Arabic word Rabb, which has a common etymological origin with the Hebrew word Rabbee. In some instances it means Lord, In some instances it may Sustainer, Nourisher, Cherisher and even Master. Depending upon how you use it in the sentence and with what combination of words. English is not like that.

If you really believe in the Bible, any serious student would make every effort to study the Original tongue out of which it was translated, and no Biblical Hebrew is not significant different than what is spoken today. Don't fall for that one. Reggie White undertook a serious study of Hebrew and he admitted that he had been teaching things that were not true and that he was in some instances lied to intentionally by people who knew the truth. He exposed some of them and was made persona non grata in many church circles because he would not lie to the people.

There is more, but will save for later.
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    damn what happened to J.C.'s childhood and teen years? Wonder were the ? he was at...mystery no pun intended.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    damn what happened to J.C.'s childhood and teen years? Wonder were the ? he was at...mystery no pun intended.

He was rolling with the Essenes, being schooled in Egyptian Mystery system. Or the Way or Light as some call it.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    SL8Rok wrote: »
    I've seen this old chest nut rearing its ugly head yet again (along with the Jesus is horus bit) and I would like to see if anybody this time is able to prove or atleast provide a good argument that the bible was edited.

this is like asking for proof that Muhammad had that life changing vision or that Malachi Z is really from planet x
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Dammit hrap! Jesus didn't have a childhood. Manger to Savior! That's it. Just believe for crying out loud.

he woke up one day and was an adult like "wtf?"
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    this is like asking for proof that Muhammad had that life changing vision or that Malachi Z is really from planet x

can't vouch for Malachi, but the interesting thing is Muhammad described what the Temple mount area looked like down to minute details, even though he had not been there, nor had he left the Arabian Peninsula. Many companions and historians verified what he saw also.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    it's in english

Translation is not proof of edition.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    Chike wrote: »

Sounds like a cop out to me.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010

Still haven't seen a good argument in here. Who says that the bible couldn't have been translated out of its original tongues and still be kept accurate.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    you never know. there are arguements that jesus said certain things when he was crucified and there are arguements that he said nothing at all. if it came out that the bible was edited i would not find it hard to believe. look at the fact that the original bible is in a language that no longer exists. even if somehow you found it there is no way you can see what it says. and think about that if people could go back in time and edit the bible the bible today would be so ? up no one would wanna follow it

You can see what it says. The Septuiagent was translated from the original archaic hebrew to koine greek by jews who still spoke the archaic hebrew. And they both say the same thing. You haven't offered an argument of fact that shows that the bible was edited but rather empty speculation.