Is It Wrong or Contrary To Be Black And Christian??

Options

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    There is nothing wrong or contrary to it. It's easy to think it so if you are using culture to define what Christianity says about slavery. Just the fact that term "slave" is in the Bible sets people off on presuppositions they have. The thing is that Blacks to catch "Hell" for doing something that is considered "white" anyway. Get people to drop their presuppositions for a while, and people will at least see that it's not a "Uncle Tom" religion. Whether they believe in it is another story.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The threadstarter obviously knows what Christianity really is whereas those of you opposing what he is sying do not.
    Sure there are many professing christians who aren't following after the ways of Christ at all, but that has nothing to do with real
    Christianity.......if y'all knew anythig you'd know that. So why all the strawmen and ignorant slander? Someone who practices Christianity as described by the threadstarter is your enemy why? how is anything he practices harmful to you?

The teachings of Christ are indeed incompatible with THE MAJORITY of religious systems under the guise of "christianity"

Yeshua (Jesus) was a revolutionary.......

You don't have a revolution where you're begging the system of exploitation to integrate you into it -Malcolm X

Christ is the answer.......you dudes are clueless

PEACE
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    SL8Rok wrote: »
    The religion did not sell blacks into slavery. Correct me if I'm wrong but you do believe in evolution correct? Are you aware that social darwinism which spawned off of evolutionary thought attempted to scientifically justify racism and making white people superior to all other peoples. If you watch Maafa21 it outlines in great detail how blacks were killed, sterilized in mass and diseased for the sake of "scientific" research. Are you now going to stop believeing in science or evolution simply because it caused the death of many blacks? If not why the double standard?

You are only half right.

Religion excused slavery. The so-called science they used to straighten their position wasnt real science at all. The bottom line is they used ? AND THE BIBLE as an excuse to enslave. They just used science as a means to do it. But there would have been no actions without the religious philosophy to justify said actions. Cant get away from that.

And yes I do believe in evolution but not social Darwinism. Evolution is about adaptation of a species to CO-EXIST and SURVIVE in their environment. Not adapt to destroy everything that moves that doesnt believe in the same ? you do.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are only half right.

there would have been no actions without the religious philosophy to justify said actions. Cant get away from that.

That's the whole problem.......this thread is about True Christianity ie: BIBLICAL TRUTH, Y'all corny ? are always focused on" religious philosophy" and don't have the humility or spiritual discernment to know the difference between the two.

PEACE
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    I said Christianity is the tool, not the Bible. Christianity mistranslates the Bible to fit their belief system.

Christianity as you know it was created out of Rome where they also had slaves. The Christian crusades used that christianity to conquer the moors and re-take Europe but they didn't stop there, the inquisition came next, and then the Slave Trade followed, and now you got the aftermath of people who can't let it go despite Religion not really being that important to the leaders who now rely mostly on TV and the media to brainwash the world.

Are you talking about modern day Christianity or the past usage of Christianity?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Are you talking about modern day Christianity or the past usage of Christianity?

No difference.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The threadstarter obviously knows what Christianity really is whereas those of you opposing what he is sying do not.
    Sure there are many professing christians who aren't following after the ways of Christ at all, but that has nothing to do with real
    Christianity.......if y'all knew anythig you'd know that. So why all the strawmen and ignorant slander? Someone who practices Christianity as described by the threadstarter is your enemy why? how is anything he practices harmful to you?

The teachings of Christ are indeed incompatible with THE MAJORITY of religious systems under the guise of "christianity"

Yeshua (Jesus) was a revolutionary.......

You don't have a revolution where you're begging the system of exploitation to integrate you into it -Malcolm X

Christ is the answer.......you dudes are clueless

PEACE

That view is way too simplistic. Nobody has a problem with Christians per se. I have close friends who are from my vantage point true to the spirit of Christ. My contention is false doctrine used to manipulate and exploit people. You say Biblical Truth. Ok. What about those who say the Bible has been falsely interpreted and translated to deceive people? Many Christians even say this. Are they Anti-Christian? Of course not.

Do you know that there are many Christians who are reevaluating the Bible and it's translation and studying Hebrew and have serious difference with the Bible. Does their view count? Reggie White was probably the most notable, but there are many others.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    No difference.

I guess, to an extent. You dudes swear like because you see the way one uses it, they all do. You try so hard to see the negative instead of the positive, people I know aren't like what you think. You guys are the brainwashed folk.
  • demandred
    demandred Members Posts: 142
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you think race and Christianity mean anything... you are clueless to the perverted and false teachings of something they tossed the title christianity on, also you do not understand the teachings of Christ taught by Christ.... The doctrine from which Christianity stems is Jewish/Hebraic in nature, and has nothing to do with the thieving "whites" at that time who misrepresented the Word, because they had a poor translation nor were they concerned about the LOGOS of the word, but rather abusing it for their own selfish gain

Therefor if anything Blacks should be even more of advent studiers of the WORD to understand it as Christ meant to teach it... not the oppressor...
  • demandred
    demandred Members Posts: 142
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That view is way too simplistic. Nobody has a problem with Christians per se. I have close friends who are from my vantage point true to the spirit of Christ. My contention is false doctrine used to manipulate and exploit people. You say Biblical Truth. Ok. What about those who say the Bible has been falsely interpreted and translated to deceive people? Many Christians even say this. Are they Anti-Christian? Of course not.

Do you know that there are many Christians who are reevaluating the Bible and it's translation and studying Hebrew and have serious difference with the Bible. Does their view count? Reggie White was probably the most notable, but there are many others.

I like this post... and I'm not refuting anything you have said... just tagging off it

The Bible has been falsely interpreted in numerous areas.... the people who have done this, and who are straying people from the absolute teachings of Christ ... Are Anti Christ....

Christ said my family is those who do the Will of ? ... and the Will of ? is in Yeshua's name... Yeshua meaning that ? saves... he delivers... he can heal you from this Earthy place of Hell, and restore you to a place of heaven on Earth... but thats only if you are willing to undertake his yoke(teachings).... which is why there is such a force that seeks to keep people far away from the fullness of the Revelation of Christ to people.... the Bible itself isnt enough to teach who Christ is, the book says itself that there wouldnt be enough pages to cover all of the things Christ did.... and everything we need to know... because we are not Jews living in that time period... we need to study that time period and the areas in which he grew up in order to see... why he thought, taught, and lived the way he lived.... the mind of Christ is exceptional
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

Modern day Christianity is the only religion that was ever called Christianity and it was formulated early in the 'first' millennium. I think first by Julius Caesar with Catholicism and then Constantine with Christianity. BC doesn't even really mean Before Christ, it means Before Caesar. Jesus Christ and Julius Caesar have the same initials and Constantine implemented that into his new power tool called Christianity. They took all the Biblical stories from Ancient Kemet and the original Hebrew Bible and twisted the story to fit their agenda. By the way, Western Civilization of today is still the Roman Empire, it never went anywhere, they just call it something else to throw us off.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BC doesn't even really mean Before Christ, it means Before Caesar.
    although this would make the notion that Julius Caesar died in 44 BC really weird.
  • Chike
    edited May 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    although this would make the notion that Julius Caesar died in 44 BC really weird.

Or a lie. *shrug* I mean that's really not that many years difference. You do know they even changed the calendar too, right? The original calender had 13 months and is called the 13 Moon Calendar. Before Europeans took over, the entire world operated off this calendar. So there's no telling exactly what year it is right now, it's most likely not even 2010.

http://www.13moon.com/
  • SL8Rok
    SL8Rok Members Posts: 154
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are only half right.

Religion excused slavery. The so-called science they used to straighten their position wasnt real science at all. The bottom line is they used ? AND THE BIBLE as an excuse to enslave. They just used science as a means to do it. But there would have been no actions without the religious philosophy to justify said actions. Cant get away from that.

And yes I do believe in evolution but not social Darwinism. Evolution is about adaptation of a species to CO-EXIST and SURVIVE in their environment. Not adapt to destroy everything that moves that doesnt believe in the same ? you do.

1. No religion didn't. People exploiting it to their ends did. In the regress of ideas it wasn't the bible or christianity that excused slavery it was mans twisting it to their ends.

2. Why isn't that the double standard? Scientist, doctors and researchers in various fields used science to ? , mame and sterilize black people under the banner of social darwininsm. They used science to justify this. Yet when we replace christianity with science in that sentence you use the slight of hand technique and say oh well the bible and ? excused it while science was only used a means. Which is total hypocrisy. Science was used to excuse it. Evolutionary science was used to provide the basis that whites were superior to blacks and other darker skinned people. Science did excuse this.

3. The religious philosophy is irrelevant because as I've shown the use of the bible to justify evil must be done IN SPITE of other parts of the bible. Where the bible may very well have rules guiding the sell of "slaves" it also condemns to death any who would steal a man and sell him or the people who were in posession of stolen men. Where the bible does tell "slaves" to fear their masters, the bible also says not to vex or oppsess others. So the "religious" philosophy wasn't at all based on the bible but rather on parts of the bible that helped the over all agenda of global ? which is not taught anywhere in the bible.

4. My point exactly you believe in evolution not the bastardization of said ideology. Likewise simply because people take what the bible says out of context to suit their needs doesn't have any impact on the true teachings of that ideology. And further proves my main point that if it wasn't christianity that was used to justify slavery it could have very well been science.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If they are like you? Yes

If they are like Jesus, Marcus Garvey, Willie Wilson, Albert Cleage, Jawanza Kunjufu- No.

And what is "like me"?
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    Options
    you dont understand. youre the one who's ignorant. the thang that im sayin is why walk with the people who are enslaved. why not go against the people who are doing the enslaving. in the civil rights era why should you walk with people being persecuted? why not go up to the white people who were doing the persecution. you give all these white people props for walking with the ? but dont want to criticize them for not going to the root of the problem. gtfohwtbs. you either a hunkey or a uncle tom. anyway you swing it you ll never understand.

Go against how? You don't think siding with the oppressed in their struggle for freedom isn't standing against the ones doing the oppressing? You don't think smuggling slaves to freedom isn't going against the oppressors? Go up to them and do what? Preach to them the evils of their wicked doctrine and wicked deeds? Tell them they need to repent of their atrocities? Guess what THEY DID, and often lost their lives because of it. Being a ****** lover in those days was almost as bad as being a ****** and being a ****** lover, especially openly would be a death sentence. I'm not giving them props for walking with blacks (and mind you they did much more than that) but I do think that there is an unequal and highly one sided hatred of white christians. What would u want them to go up to them and say? You think they would hesitate to ? whites who challenged the system any more than they would ? blacks? No and they have shown that they will ? whites as well.

I'm no hunkey or uncle tom just a person who doesn't harbor hate and a victim mentality toward all whites for the actions of a few.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Modern day Christianity is the only religion that was ever called Christianity and it was formulated early in the 'first' millennium. I think first by Julius Caesar with Catholicism and then Constantine with Christianity. BC doesn't even really mean Before Christ, it means Before Caesar. Jesus Christ and Julius Caesar have the same initials and Constantine implemented that into his new power tool called Christianity. They took all the Biblical stories from Ancient Kemet and the original Hebrew Bible and twisted the story to fit their agenda. By the way, Western Civilization of today is still the Roman Empire, it never went anywhere, they just call it something else to throw us off.

Someone needs a history class.
  • SL8Rok
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I said Christianity is the tool, not the Bible. Christianity mistranslates the Bible to fit their belief system.

Christianity as you know it was created out of Rome where they also had slaves. The Christian crusades used that christianity to conquer the moors and re-take Europe but they didn't stop there, the inquisition came next, and then the Slave Trade followed, and now you got the aftermath of people who can't let it go despite Religion not really being that important to the leaders who now rely mostly on TV and the media to brainwash the world.

1. No christianity as I know it comes from the bible. What you are talking about is catholicism and I whole heartedly agree that its a corruption of true biblical christianity.

2. The inquisition was catholics killing christians who wouldn't submit to the doctrine of the Pope and the vatican.
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited May 2010
    Options
    anybody that feels or believes the Word of ? has ANYTHING to do w/christianity has been misinformed..... the NT confirms the prophecy of the OT, the bible goes in on religion as a whole but folks to blind to see... Whatever was taken out by the roman catholics was done by the hand of the Most High, nothing they added or took away from HIS WORD changed any meaning that would throw us off of the true meaning of Christ & doing the WILL of the Father...

The LORD stated he would publish HIS WORD in everyone's language in order for ALL to receive HIS WORD, so for all that talk of learning Hebrew to understand it, is non sense (my people had the LORD in their presence when they had their OWN language & still was thrown into captivity do to their disobedience) & often used by those who DON'T UNDERSTAND the book in their own langauge.
    True priest of ? know & understand the book, & true priest of ? should have some understanding of HISTORY before they try to defend any religion especially Christianity (mother ? ), all other religions stem from them (they're the harlots of the mother ? )

The WORD was around before the gentiles /romans got their hands on it, THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IT BECAUSE THE WORD WASN'T GIVEN TO THEM TO UNDERSTAND, but do to the disobedience of Israel, our ancestors went into captivity leaving the gentiles in charge of it...

what happens to people when they don't understand something? They MAKE UP stuff to fit their own beliefs & bring in false doctrine to feed to the masses (going to heaven or hell after one dies, praying over unclean foods,rapture, trinity, pagan holidays, "sun" day worship, etc etc.......these are the false doctrines brought in by the catholics)
    the sad part is that EVERYTHING that they preach can not be found in the BIBLE nor is it backed by scripture & my people not wanting to "question" ? , just follows right along with what's being told to them instead of the proper research for the answer.

The LORD is the author of HIS WORD, man just wrote it down for others to read & follow (it was given to Israel to give to the World).... It's up to the person reading HIS WORD to get UNDERSTANDING of it before one tries to say it's corrupt or has been mistranslated by the slavemasters to throw us off... (those slavemasters didn't know what to add or take out, because if they did, we would see christmas in the bible, the name of Zeus, Horus or any other pagan ? they wanted us to follow, etc.... that's if they were in control)

the catholics were able to paint a picture of a suppose "christ" that everybody has been following since birth... but with the proper research you can find out who that suppose "christ" really is.

the folks on this board love to hear themselves talk & downplay the MOST HIGH, i feel for you but I can also understand where you coming from...if you had serious questions about the book & have been getting the same answers for years that doesn't make sense, I would question the Bible & the Most High as well.. But if you serious about wanting to know, it's up to you search the scriptures & find the answers out of the mouth of two or three witnesses using both the Ot & Nt.... the whole one verse out of a chapter isn't going to cut it or answer anything....

But again people just love to hear themselves talk & some just love to show how ignorant they are & will remain that way by choice.

What up Blue, you still arguing with folks I see...lol...
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Go against how? You don't think siding with the oppressed in their struggle for freedom isn't standing against the ones doing the oppressing? You don't think smuggling slaves to freedom isn't going against the oppressors? Go up to them and do what? Preach to them the evils of their wicked doctrine and wicked deeds? Tell them they need to repent of their atrocities? Guess what THEY DID, and often lost their lives because of it. Being a ****** lover in those days was almost as bad as being a ****** and being a ****** lover, especially openly would be a death sentence. I'm not giving them props for walking with blacks (and mind you they did much more than that) but I do think that there is an unequal and highly one sided hatred of white christians. What would u want them to go up to them and say? You think they would hesitate to ? whites who challenged the system any more than they would ? blacks? No and they have shown that they will ? whites as well.

I'm no hunkey or uncle tom just a person who doesn't harbor hate and a victim mentality toward all whites for the actions of a few.

man you crazy. them hunkeys need to be killing they own people if they love slaves like that. they would go up and say plz mr. hunkey stop enslaving these people its wrong. and if they didnt ? them. thats how they show they respect for us ? those hunkeys and die with em.
  • Chike
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Someone needs a history class.

I'm not interested in HIS story.
  • EvanR12
    EvanR12 Members Posts: 60
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Often when discussing my christian faith with friends, family and online the question commonly comes up, "how can you be black and christian that is the religion that was given to you by slave masters" or "how can you be black and christian that religion was used to enslave your ancestors". And while I cannot deny that many professing christians were indeed responsible for slavery and using parts of the bible to justify brutalizing other people, I would argue that these reasons are very short sided and obtuse in looking at the whole of christianity as practiced.

But first I would like to give a stab at the answer how can I be black and christian. The key points of about christianity that I'm looking at isn't its history or the people who supposedly practice it, however when examining any religion or epistemology, the key thing to look at is its teachings and message. And in that I find that christianity is the truth. Every religion and ideology has its black sheep. Surely the socialist wouldn't dare associate socialism with ? , Mao and Stalin and they would infact argue that they weren't true socialist. Likewise simply because people have taken christianity and twisted it to their own ends doesn't discredit or take away from christianity it only lends weight to the age old adage that where there is a will there is a way.

Now onto the idea that christianity is a slave religion. That is an obtuse take on the subject. Yes there were slave masters who used parts of the bible (out of context and interpreted FOR them seeing as how slaves couldn't read and therefore couldn't give said passages their context) to justify slaves being slaves and whites being masters, but this is also to ignore the large number of white christians in the abolition movement who risked life and limb to get blacks to freedom and all the while evangelizing them. I believe this argument is also ignorant of history because before the time of slavery, the rise of the catholic church or european colonization of the world there were christian churches in Africa. The Ethiopic Orthodoxy and Coptic/Alexandrian Church in Egypt where african churches, so to say that Africans were forced into Christianity is a complete and total lie. Africans had been accepting Christianity since the 2nd century. Now if we are going to apply this obtuse standard to christianity we must also do the same with Islam because Muslim slave traders took blacks from africa and sold them as slaves. In many instances converting blacks to islam for the purpose of going out to find other blacks to enslave. That would make Louis Farrakahn both the biggest ? /hypocrite in america because he is promoting a slave religion that supposedly helps black people.

To summarize I'd like to say that it is in no way problematic or contrary to be black and christian. While we can all agree the bible was used to justify the enslavement and kiling ofl black people in africa, where most people are unwilling to understand or compromise is that parts of the bible or any book taken out of context can be justified to do anything. The communist manifesto and subseuqent writers on communism have had their works used to justify the worst kind of human atrocities in the 20th century. Evolution was turned into a racist doctrine called social darwinism which stated that all non-whites were subhuman and attempted to put science behind that. And yet you ask any evolutionist if they believe this to be true and they would say no. Why then this one sided and often hypocritical and always hateful stance against christianity? The arguments blacks use against it are all based on fallacious points and normally facetious facts. Simply because Jesus is depicted as white in many churches has no bearing on what the bible says about Jesus skin color (note it doesn't say anything). Slaves being indoctrinated into christianity says nothing about the validity of christianity, at most that says (as I've said before) anything can be used to justify anything. And as much as people want to assert it, there is no evidence scholarly otherwise, to prove the bible was tampered with. So in all there really is no contradiction or problem, either philosophically or logically with being black and christian.

only read first small paragraph

Im no expert, but in that case, you should be against the government that was present during slavory because you could argue that was a reason for slavery's occurance, lets say everyone "voted" for slavery, are you against voting?

My point is that if there is a fringe element of any church, that follows the idea that one race is superior, or encourages violence, I am pretty sure we would all agree that, it is a bad church and has become corrupt. But if the church you are in, is against racism and violence and this church follows beliefs similar to yours do not shut it out just because of some title "christianity" etc. The churches that are responsible for the most violence, are radical Islam churches, not radical christianity(in this country).

At this moment, they currently are responsable for the encouragement of the most large scale violence. Some of the violence currently inflicted by the radical Islamics is just as bad as slavery was back then, but now it is against the "West" instead of the African Americans. I am not trying to smear Islam in any sense though I acknowledge that its only a small portion of them that are corrupt just as there may be a small portion of radical Christians that partake in a violent act that I would not support.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sad, just sad, Brothers trying to justify their slave religion because they just can't let go.

Tragic, really. He wouldv'e made himself a fine slave back in the day.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »

lmao........i caught that too lol
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Or a lie. *shrug* I mean that's really not that many years difference. You do know they even changed the calendar too, right?
    when your argument is basically "BC means Before Caesar and the logic is everything was secretly changed around to hide the fact that it means Before Caesar," it's still weird.