Where were you at when???

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Social Lounge
You know how our parents can remember the moment when history was made during their generation...such as JFK/MLK/Malcolm X Assassinations, I Have a Dream Speech, Pearl Harbor, Wood Stock...

Were were you at when??

1) 9/11

In Middle School, 8th Grade American History. School barely began before we let out for emergency dismissal. Was too young to fully understand how truly ? up that day was. I know Pearl Harbor was bad but, I didnt think we could be "touched" like that. Didnt look real.

2) Barack Obama's Nomination

Was 20. My sister's house in North Philly. Ran around the entire house, ran outside, shouted to the neighbors, stunted on my co-workers the next morning. If I died at that moment, I wouldve been content. Sex had nothin on the Europhia I was feelin.

3) Michael Jackson

Was 20. I felt like an azz cuzz like alot of cats, I called him a ? & ? but....real talk, he personified "Legendary". "Thriller" was the ? .

Feel free to add on...

Comments

• Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Obamas election>>>>His nomination

Who exactly did Mj ? tho? Never heard that one before.

Black people are dumb they make fun of Mj legacy white people honor him like a king
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Obamas election>>>>His nomination

Who exactly did Mj ? tho? Never heard that one before.

Black people are dumb they make fun of Mj legacy white people honor him like a king

Election...thats what I meant to put...Imma ?
  • ytownborn
    ytownborn Members Posts: 420
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1) Bacc in Youngstown, Ohio waiting until Feb. 02 to leave for basic training for the Air Force.

2) In Omaha, Nebraska @ work.

3) Playing Madden @ my apartment in Nebraska
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    You know how our parents can remember the moment when history was made during their generation...such as JFK/MLK/Malcolm X Assassinations, I Have a Dream Speech, Pearl Harbor, Wood Stock...

Were were you at when??

1) 9/11

In Middle School, 8th Grade American History. School barely began before we let out for emergency dismissal. Was too young to fully understand how truly ? up that day was. I know Pearl Harbor was bad but, I didnt think we could be "touched" like that. Didnt look real.

2) Barack Obama's Nomination

Was 20. My sister's house in North Philly. Ran around the entire house, ran outside, shouted to the neighbors, stunted on my co-workers the next morning. If I died at that moment, I wouldve been content. Sex had nothin on the Europhia I was feelin.

3) Michael Jackson

Was 20. I felt like an azz cuzz like alot of cats, I called him a ? & ? but....real talk, he personified "Legendary". "Thriller" was the ? .

Feel free to add on...

I was in my 11th grade Pysch class when 9-11 happened...I was on the radio doing my show when Barack Obama's election became official...me and my boys started going nuts when the news first broke that it was official he was the Presidential Elect
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I was in my 11th grade Pysch class when 9-11 happened...I was on the radio doing my show when Barack Obama's election became official...me and my boys started going nuts when the news first broke that it was official he was the Presidential Elect

Word....nobody couldnt tell me nothing when Barack won. Scust @ the people who were salty the following day.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I remember where i was when I first heard Ether.

I was riding in my friends car. We were headed to the mall. He was like, "You heard that new Nas song Ether? He dissing Jay"

I was like, "Nah lemme hear it."

He let it play. When it was finished all I could say was "Wooooooooooow."

Then I sat like this for about 2 minutes.

speechless.jpg
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options

I was riding in my friends car. We were headed to the mall. He was like, "You heard that new Nas song Ether? He dissing Jay"

speechless.jpg

My boy's reaction to Ether. Jay-Z Stans lol.
    im-disappointed-because-david-bowie-is-the-2541-1251955269-8.jpg
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    911 - I was at work in ATL. ? was crazy cuz my boy called me to tell me that it was going down and I kept telling him to stop calling with that BS. He told to find a TV and then I saw it. WOW! They locked down the base and made people stay in all week. Hasnt been the same since.

B.O. winning - I was in the bed getting ready to go to sleep. After they said it. I couldnt sleep all night. I was like 'I cant beleive it'! I was so tired the next day I had to pull over three times to get a wink. (I drive two hours to work)

MJ dying - I was in Dallas at my sisters house. the day was a blurr really but I remember my niece and nephew just playing without care. Until his music came on and they danced all day to his music. his music spans generations. My 2 year old loves his music. Crazy!

First gulf war - I was middle school looking at TV thinking if my cousins was out there. I was damn I hope he got on the vest. Not knowing that ? was a pushover.

New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl - Over my brother in law house, for which it was full of Falcon fans. There were all pulling for the Saints because they know I am a die hard fan. iwas trying to blunt the sadness if they loss but when they won. I walking around like I was in a Spike Lee movie. On cloud nine.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Maalik: If you are a true hip hop fan, then Ether is like the 9/11 of hip hop.

For years, me and my boys used to wonder why Nas n Jay never did a song together. (this was before i was into all the background on rappers) Jay dropped The Takeover and like a couple months past with no word from Nas.

Then he dropped that ETHER. It was like that scene in American Gangster when Frank shot that ? in the street.

Jay: What you gonna do huh? Shoot me in front of all these people

Nas: BLADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

(everyone just standing there like WTF?)
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    911 - I was at work in ATL. ? was crazy cuz my boy called me to tell me that it was going down and I kept telling him to stop calling with that BS. He told to find a TV and then I saw it. WOW! They locked down the base and made people stay in all week. Hasnt been the same since.

B.O. winning - I was in the bed getting ready to go to sleep. After they said it. I couldnt sleep all night. I was like 'I cant beleive it'! I was so tired the next day I had to pull over three times to get a wink. (I drive two hours to work)

MJ dying - I was in Dallas at my sisters house. the day was a blurr really but I remember my niece and nephew just playing without care. Until his music came on and they danced all day to his music. his music spans generations. My 2 year old loves his music. Crazy!

First gulf war - I was middle school looking at TV thinking if my cousins was out there. I was damn I hope he got on the vest. Not knowing that ? was a pushover.

New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl - Over my brother in law house, for which it was full of Falcon fans. There were all pulling for the Saints because they know I am a die hard fan. iwas trying to blunt the sadness if they loss but when they won. I walking around like I was in a Spike Lee movie. On cloud nine.

Believe it or not....at 22 years old, I just RECENTLY listened to Mike's discography. I didnt realize his ? was that dope. Thriller's my ? , I can see why kids was dressing all goofy & ? back in the 80s.

MJ%20&%20Alfonso%20Ribeiro_jpg.jpg
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited May 2010
    Options
    There are whites who DESPISE black people but they love Michael Jackson.

I dont care who you are, you've emulated something about that man at one point in your life.
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Maalik: If you are a true hip hop fan, then Ether is like the 9/11 of hip hop.

For years, me and my boys used to wonder why Nas n Jay never did a song together. (this was before i was into all the background on rappers) Jay dropped The Takeover and like a couple months past with no word from Nas.

Then he dropped that ETHER. It was like that scene in American Gangster when Frank shot that ? in the street.

Jay: What you gonna do huh? Shoot me in front of all these people

Nas: BLADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

(everyone just standing there like WTF?)

I hear you...I was admittely a Jay stan back in the early 2000s & even I had to acknowledge the massive L that Shawn took. That ? was Harsh.

? dropped "Supaugly" & everyone disregarded that ? lol.....his own crew was like...."Corey...you embarrassing yourself".

I think Nas meeting this one... was Karma for dropping such a Nasty Bomb on Hov like that.
    nas-kelis.jpg
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    9/11- just got off of work, was getting home and laying down in the bed, and my mother was like
    "D...turn on the tv,...i tihnk the countries under attack!!"
    i replied "I'm sure there will be overage on it when i wake up"

obama-"at my sisters house in philly with my brother in law smoking & laughing about how ugly we thought michelle was....? was going in on michelle that whole day

mj death-at my girls parents house helping her father work on a car....when everyone just started zapping ut in the house like someone we knew died

ether-in k-mart..i stopped and turned the system it was on up like "say it ain't so"
    ..they actually played that ? on the speakers before long... everyone was in awe
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    I hear you...I was admittely a Jay stan back in the early 2000s & even I had to acknowledge the massive L that Shawn took. That ? was Harsh.

? dropped "Supaugly" & everyone disregarded that ? lol.....his own crew was like...."Corey...you embarrassing yourself".

I think Nas meeting this one... was Karma for dropping such a Nasty Bomb on Hov like that.

See back then I liked Jay and Nas equally. They were both great MC's and in different lanes.

So when I heard Takeover it was like Damn. I dont think ANYONE expected that Ether though.

I would have loved to have been in the room the moment Jay first heard Ether. His soul literally had to have burned slowly. Had to! Cuz when i first heard it, i was totally speechless.
  • Kunty!
    Kunty! Members Posts: 46
    edited May 2010
    Options
    hmm i was in my advisroy class 8th grade. My teacher was on the phone all morning then he turned the tv on. We didnt know what to do. By my 3rd period the towers where coming down, kids where being pulled out of school. PANDEMONIUM!!

I think i had just gotten fired from a job, so i was at home, i was pretty excited because i NEVER thought our president would be black, when he won im not gonna lie i was a punk i shed a tear

Michael*sigh* what can i say, i was at work and i was going off on my friend cuz the news had conflicting stories, she kept saying he died i said he IS NOT, btu by 5 it was confirmed, it didnt hit me till the next morning and they were playin Ill be ther, i cried i miss him, he was always my nicca!
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    When MJ died I was in my car pulling up to my house. My brother called me and said "Are you sitting?" I said "Yeah ? , what is it?" He said, "you sure?" and I said "Yes ? , what's the problem, why you acting weird?" *long pause* "Michael Jackson died today*. I hung up the phone and ran to my laptop inside the house. I couldn't believe it.

9/11-I was in 8th grade physics. Best friend and I laughed b/c we didn't think it was true.

Ether- was in 8th grade, but it meant nothing to me, I just liked the fact that there were gunshots at the beginning.

Obama- at school playing Risk. I quit the game and went to celebrate with all the black people on campus when it happened.
  • Maalik
    edited May 2010
    Options
    See back then I liked Jay and Nas equally. They were both great MC's and in different lanes.

So when I heard Takeover it was like Damn. I dont think ANYONE expected that Ether though.

I would have loved to have been in the room the moment Jay first heard Ether. His soul literally had to have burned slowly. Had to! Cuz when i first heard it, i was totally speechless.

You aint hear...it was a rumor that he cried on Hot 97 when they interviewed him about it...? took the news of "Ether" dropping like a ? finding out he had AIDS.
  • akforty7
    akforty7 Members Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Were were you at when??

1) 9/11 I was in 9th grade in high school in class and it was announced on the intercom that the pentagon was hit . Everyone started going crazy b/c their parents worked there (I lived 5 mins away from DC at the time). Then we were sent home and I just watched the news for the rest of the day/night in horror.

2) Barack Obama's Nomination I was home with my friend watching it on TV and crying tears of joy.

3) Michael Jackson I was laying out by the pool and someone texted me that he died, I didn't believe it so I looked at the news on my phone and saw it was true, I went crazy. All the white people at the pool were like WTF? I called my ex-boyfriend b/c we're both die hard fans so he's the first person I thought of. I got in my car to go home and they were playing MJ on the radio and I burst out in tears.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    9/11 -- I was living in vienna, austria at the time and me and some guys just got back from the glock factory. I had just copped a .45 and 9mm. They wouldn't sell me the selector switch 9mm or the orange night sights and I was heated. We had just walked through the door and the tv was on afn, and all hell was breaking loose.

Obama -- I don't remember, it just didn't seem like a big deal to me.

MJ -- I had just got off of work and they were playing beat it on the radio, then they played ? diana. I was like "woooooo they jammin today" then they broke the news that he died and I was like damn, I can't even listen to this right now and turned it off.

** When easy E died I was in the 9th grade and it was on a news channel we were watching during american history class. It was weird because it was a private mostly white school and nobody else in the class knew who he was. I had to morn by myself. fml that day.
  • airforcememphis
    airforcememphis Members Posts: 111
    edited May 2010
    Options
    9/11-7th grade, History class, all the females were crying. I think they jumped some muslim boys that day at school.Started screaming at the boys asking why they're family was celebrating on tv. SMH I just wanted to know how the hell you hijack a plane with 30 people onboard with box cutters
    Obama-At the House drinkin. Everybody was updating their status on FB every damn 5 mins I think. Was working the nxt day and wanted a white person at work to say something smart..
    Ether-Like 7th grade I think, being from the south, it didnt mean a thing to most since they didnt get much play down here. I tried to request it one day on the radio and dude was like I don't have that ?

MJ-At the movies, my damn phone started blowing up, with text and calls.I didnt believe it at first. But it slowly started to settle in. I was mad cause they interrupted my movie
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    9/11 I was hung over living at home and my older brother after about 2 months of not speaking to me yelled my name and said "I think the country is being attacked.

Barack Obama election I was at my place going back and forth in my head if I should have gone to Millenium Park.

MJ dieing I was a work and me being the only guy there kept on looking out my office wondering why the women were crying and posting on the IC too.

Ether I use to help my boy with his crates (Pre Serato) when we got to the club and the DJ played it like 10 times ? off the crowd. He just kept saying 1 more time. If you know Chicago B you know it's a lot of casual rap listeners and few Hip Hop heads so he was erking them.
  • blackrain
    edited May 2010
    Options

speechless.jpg

the first time I heard Ether I was with one of my best friends trying to explain to him the Stillmatic Freestyle where Nas first disses Jay and the whole ROC and he was saying there's no way Nas could come back at Jay...we cut on the radio to listen to the countdown that comes on 95.5 every night at 7:30 and they just began with the song Ether as an exclusive and we both were sitting in my living room like "what the ? did we just hear"
  • ccluvsau
    ccluvsau Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1. 10th grade Bio

2. Home alone watching CNN

3. Home alone watching CNN
  • blackrain
    edited May 2010
    Options

I couldn't imagine how I'd react to hearing somebody make a song like that about me lol...that beef was personal it wasn't just about rap anymore...i really think them 2 ? would've fought had they run into each other within a week of Jay hearing Ether for the first time
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Biggie death. - I was at work on the ship skating off(doing nothing)! It was my birthday so I was jacked up about celebrating. I turned it to MTV and the news hit. My heart dropped to the floor. I could barely breath! Then I just started going around telling people. Cats was like ? whatever. Then they saw it too. Bruh it was like finding out your BFF died.

I heard about TUpac's death - I was in high school at a football game getting ? up. They said he was dead and I just copped another dime to smoke in his honor. Now that was when I knew that this hip hop ? was crazy. And no matter who you are. You can get touched!

Ether - I was in the crib and I downloaded it thinking nothing about it. I heard it! And I have never looked at Jay-Z the same again. Hell all this NAS lost ? going around. After Ether dude still gets my respect. That Kelis ? is just another Takeover!