Reasonable doubt vs ILLmatic: which has aged better?

Options

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bruh did you call it personification? Ok then....
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Illmatic doesnt have one song better than Devils
    Dead Presidents
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    bigtim5099 wrote: »
    Dude, you have to be an idiot to not catch the car reference, come on dude, are you serious?? Illmatic was simple lyrically, not off the chain. Personification is cute and all, but it is for 8th graders. And it doessnt take long to catch.. And U know it..

i think more so illmatic is held in high regards lyrically because of it's complex rhyme schemes. u seem to be catchin feelins bruh.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I have to go with "Ilmatic" and it made me go find those soul and jazz samples!
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    So are you gonna answer the question or not? lmfao

what question? Why we comparin a masterpiece record that had a huge impact and changed the game to a forced classic?
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Neither sound dated to me. I'll 90 years old in a nursing home still vibing to politics as usual and it ain't hard to tell.
  • Wonderland
    Wonderland Banned Users Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Jay Z's Catalouge

Reasonable Doubt - 7/10
    Volume 1- 4/10
    Volume 2 - 3/10
    Volume 3 - 2/10
    The Dynasty - 1.5/10
    The Blueprint - 6/10
    The Blueprint 2 - 1/10
    The Black Album - 5.5/10
    Kingdome Come - 1/10
    American Gangster - 4.5/10
    The Blueprint 3 - - 1/10

Best Of Both World's - 4/10
    The Best Of Both World's 2 - 2/10
    Watch The Throne - 5/10

Nas Catalouge

Illmatic - 10/10
    It Was Witten - 9/10
    I Am - 4/10
    Nastradamus - 1.5/10
    Stillmatic - 8/10
    ? 's Son - 5/10
    Street's Disciple - 1/10
    Hip Hop Is Derad - 2/10
    Untitled - 6.5/10

The Lost Tapes - 8.5/10
    QB's Finest - 5/10
    The Firm - - 7/10
    Distant Relatives - 7.5/10
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Jay Z has the better Flow, Delivery and much better Beat Selection and Hit making ability

Nas is the better Artist/Lyricist/Song Writer/Emcee and is the better Story Teller, more creative, much more Emotional/Personal and Substance
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Battle wise Nas destroyed Jay Z with 'Ether'
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    On production, Reasonable Doubt has aged better (still prefer Illmatic though)
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    what question? Why we comparin a masterpiece record that had a huge impact and changed the game to a forced classic?

Reasonable Doubt is a 7/10 a good Album and Jay Z's best by far only reason Jay Z stan's try to say it's classic is cos it's Jay's best Album ever but it's a good Album with dope Songs like 'Can't Knock The Hustle' but also very weak Songs like 'Cashmere Thought's the best aspect of the Album was the Production it was a well Produced Album Jay Z was Flowing his best on the Album what he is best at but it's an Album that sound's boring and does not have the replay value to be a near classic but it's a good Album
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes, The Firm, Distant Relatives>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reasonable Doubt

'NY State Of Mind', Memory Lane' Life's A ? ' 'Ine Love' 'Represent' 'It Ain't Hard To Tell' ''One Time' 'Halftime' 'The World Is Yours' 'The Genesis'>>>>>>>>>Any Jay Z Song
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Every collab Nas and Jay Z have done Nas has outshined Jay Z Lyrically

All Jay Z does is Flow but Nas actual Writes Thought Provking Lyrics get's Deep and put's Emotion and Passion in his Music
  • ...MVP...
    ...MVP... Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wonderland wrote: »
    Jay Z's Catalouge

Reasonable Doubt - 7/10
    Volume 1- 4/10
    Volume 2 - 3/10
    Volume 3 - 2/10
    The Dynasty - 1.5/10
    The Blueprint - 6/10
    The Blueprint 2 - 1/10
    The Black Album - 5.5/10
    Kingdome Come - 1/10
    American Gangster - 4.5/10
    The Blueprint 3 - - 1/10

Best Of Both World's - 4/10
    The Best Of Both World's 2 - 2/10
    Watch The Throne - 5/10

Nas Catalouge

Illmatic - 10/10
    It Was Witten - 9/10
    I Am - 4/10
    Nastradamus - 1.5/10
    Stillmatic - 8/10
    ? 's Son - 5/10
    Street's Disciple - 1/10
    Hip Hop Is Derad - 2/10
    Untitled - 6.5/10

The Lost Tapes - 8.5/10
    QB's Finest - 5/10
    The Firm - - 7/10
    Distant Relatives - 7.5/10

When I first came to the IC I found that u and I actually agreed on quite a few things, such as the importance of content and subject matter in rap music.
    But over time being here, I have come to the conclusion that you are incredibly insane...
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ...MVP... wrote: »
    When I first came to the IC I found that u and I actually agreed on quite a few things, such as the importance of content and subject matter in rap music.
    But over time being here, I have come to the conclusion that you are incredibly insane...

yo ignore her....
  • pop duke
    pop duke Members Posts: 375
    edited November 2011
    Options
    wonderland wrote: »
    reasonable doubt is a 7/10 a good album and jay z's best by far only reason jay z stan's try to say it's classic is cos it's jay's best album ever but it's a good album with dope songs like 'can't knock the hustle' but also very weak songs like 'cashmere thought's the best aspect of the album was the production it was a well produced album jay z was flowing his best on the album what he is best at but it's an album that sound's boring and does not have the replay value to be a near classic but it's a good album
    chuuch!!!!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Reasonable doubt
  • pop duke
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    ILLmatic is hiphop's thriller. The Only hiphop albums that should be mentioned alongside ILLmatic be "It takes a Million" & "Paid in full". End of story.
    This is definitely true in terms of impact & the quality of music just minus da sales ofcourse. And to sum it up Mumo any & everybody atleast 35 yrs old will agree,d#mn near anybody under 35 yrs will prolly disagree. Educate urselves ppl; Illmatic is hiphop's ultimate classic. Just ask ur favorite rapper u don't have to take my word
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    pop duke wrote: »
    This is definitely true in terms of impact & the quality of music just minus da sales ofcourse. And to sum it up Mumo any & everybody atleast 35 yrs old will agree,d#mn near anybody under 35 yrs will prolly disagree. Educate urselves ppl; Illmatic is hiphop's ultimate classic. Just ask ur favorite rapper u don't have to take my word

? ? outta here with that ageism ? !!!
    I'm under 35 and think illmatic is easily top 5 hiphop albums of all time. The question was which has aged better which in itself is subjective.
    I agree with everything dropped in post #2 though,
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Illmatic, But reasonable doubt is one of my favorite albums also
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ny state of mind, life's a ? , the world is yours, memory lane, one love, and it ain't hard to tell are some of the greatest hip hop songs ever.
    halftime, one time, and represent are classics but not on the level of the others

dead presidents, can i live, regrets, devils, feelin it, bring it on, can't knock the hustle are some of the greatest hip hop songs as well.
    the rest of the songs are better than half time, represent and onetime for your mind, except for ain't no ? .

so overall rd is better, partly because it was recorded in 95/96 and illmatic was recorded 92/93, before production became more superior(1995).
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I still bump both relatively regularly.
    Illmatic does sound slightly dated though.

2 of the top 3 records in hip hop history though.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    RD. This isn't even close. Illmatic sounds dated as hell with the production AND the flow (not that the flow wasn't immaculate).
  • pop duke
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ? ? outta here with that ageism ? !!!
    I'm under 35 and think illmatic is easily top 5 hiphop albums of all time. The question was which has aged better which in itself is subjective.
    I agree with everything dropped in post #2 though,
    Ageism ? ??? N*cca I can already tell U a YOUNG ass,hatin ass,uneducated ass,donkey of da day ass........15 yr old. And that's Y U caught feelings!! Listen lil n*cca,I stand by what I said & it obviously applies to yo ass so if da shoe fit homie,wear it & make sure ya bra & panties match. Dis is what I was talkin about Mumo,a bunch of youngins speakin on dis h.hop ish dat don't know ish. Dat's Y da convo is ? 'd up cause it isn't balanced. A bunch of Danielson's & very few Mr Myagi's
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    genstasia wrote: »
    Illmatic is Illmatic but Reasonable Doubt has aged better. Ppl still Rapping to the Dead President Beat, Can I Live, and Feeling it.

And people are still doing Illmatic tributes etc.