Reasonable doubt vs ILLmatic: which has aged better?

Comments

• tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    RD aint no ? classic. Jay Z just reminded you ? 10 years ago on BP1 that RD even existed. whats so timeless about a ? rapping off beat about the subjects and images that would ruin hip hop. now everybody is a hustler who just happens to rap. every body got a uncomfirmed/untraceable backstory about selling big dope. everybody can lose shiploads of crystalized ? from ecuador but somehow find studio time to rap about it. raekwon gave these ? a inch and they sprinted a mile with it. nas guilty of it too so is biggie. nas was just a poet on his first album but then he became escobar. biggie was all depressed, hungry and sucidal living in a one room shack on RTD but on LAD he became frank white jumping over coffee tables got MW3 sized guns deflectin bullets like captain america. RD was one of the albums that catapulted rap into a wasteland. ? no its not a classic
  • verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I have to go with Illmatic on this one...
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Tomp is the only dude whose rants i read
  • Chasin Benjis
    Chasin Benjis Banned Users Posts: 147
    edited November 2011
    Lol lemme find out Tomp has self proclaimed stans.. smh

RD >>>>> Illmatic
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Lol lemme find out Tomp has self proclaimed stans.. smh

RD >>>>> Illmatic

it's better overall, i agree. but the one thing nas has over jay is he has that pure hip hop classic that jay doesn't have. biggie also doesn't have that either.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited November 2011
    I honestly think both have aged remarkably well. Illmatic is better lyrically. RD production is insane
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Two of my favorite cds, both classics but I would go with RD. More replay value imo......And Tomp is the funniest poster on IC.

Oh yea whoever said the Firm cd was better than The Black Album is trippin
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Illmatic and that's a fact. Say anything else and you lost your hip hop pass forever. Reasonable Doubt didn't bump when it was made, and it doesn't bump now. It's overrated and not even Jay's best album.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited November 2011
    DarkRaiden wrote: »
    Illmatic and that's a fact. Say anything else and you lost your hip hop pass forever. Reasonable Doubt didn't bump when it was made, and it doesn't bump now. It's overrated and not even Jay's best album.

Yeah the blueprint is.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    it's better overall, i agree. but the one thing nas has over jay is he has that pure hip hop classic that jay doesn't have. biggie also doesn't have that either.

Pure hip-hop classic? Wtf? Y'all ? stay trynna downplay someone with dumb ?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    A ? really coming in here saying RD is lyrically better than Illmatic? Jay was getting destroyed by features.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Clearly Illmatic.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    if you wanna talk about age, it was written is a better comparison
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    illmatic cuz of the production.Only song that sounds truly dated would be it aint hard to tell..the rest sound passable even by todays standards..

rd has some songs that sound dated bks finest,etc..
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    pop duke wrote: »
    Ageism ? ??? N*cca I can already tell U a YOUNG ass,hatin ass,uneducated ass,donkey of da day ass........15 yr old. And that's Y U caught feelings!! Listen lil n*cca,I stand by what I said & it obviously applies to yo ass so if da shoe fit homie,wear it & make sure ya bra & panties match. Dis is what I was talkin about Mumo,a bunch of youngins speakin on dis h.hop ish dat don't know ish. Dat's Y da convo is ? 'd up cause it isn't balanced. A bunch of Danielson's & very few Mr Myagi's

1. You are a fool or at the very least foolish.
    2. Your argument (if you can call it that) is fallacious in reasoning.
    3. My post, if you read past the first line (which I doubt because it obviously brought out the emotional ? in you) is indicative to your flawed logic.
    4. Finally you talk of "catching feelings" but then I look at your post and............................. you know what? I'll leave it at that with regards to you personally.
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    RD aint no ? classic. Jay Z just reminded you ? 10 years ago on BP1 that RD even existed. whats so timeless about a ? rapping off beat about the subjects and images that would ruin hip hop. now everybody is a hustler who just happens to rap. every body got a uncomfirmed/untraceable backstory about selling big dope. everybody can lose shiploads of crystalized ? from ecuador but somehow find studio time to rap about it. raekwon gave these ? a inch and they sprinted a mile with it. nas guilty of it too so is biggie. nas was just a poet on his first album but then he became escobar. biggie was all depressed, hungry and sucidal living in a one room shack on RTD but on LAD he became frank white jumping over coffee tables got MW3 sized guns deflectin bullets like captain america. RD was one of the albums that catapulted rap into a wasteland. ? no its not a classic

Tomp is funny as ? ! I wouldn't be suprised to find out you're the alias behind "Big Ghostfase".
    shtoopid wrote: »
    if you wanna talk about age, it was written is a better comparison

That's true.
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    pop duke wrote: »
    This is definitely true in terms of impact & the quality of music just minus da sales ofcourse. And to sum it up Mumo any & everybody atleast 35 yrs old will agree,d#mn near anybody under 35 yrs will prolly disagree. Educate urselves ppl; Illmatic is hiphop's ultimate classic. Just ask ur favorite rapper u don't have to take my word

Yeah , older heads know wassup. ILLmatic is hiphop's version of Marvin Gaye's Whats goin on....But I jus turned 28, and my feeling is that no hiphop album will ever hav the same impact as ILLmatic....Every song in there is like each book in the Bible-- full of wise quotes
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    ILLmatic no doubt

word to Mumo X. One of my favorite posters
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Reasonable Doubt>>>>>Illmatic

Illmatic is the revisionists favorite album to overrate and put on a pedestal

illmatic sounds outdated as ? and Rd has way better tracks: Brooklyns finest,dead presidents,can I live I & II,22 two's,Politics as usual,feelin it

^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Z's whole existence
    ILLmatic no doubt

word to Mumo X. One of my favorite posters

Peace to you Zorrow

I see you got Nas new lady on ya avi lol.........
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Wouldn't have It Was Written and Reasonable Doubt be a better comparison since they both came out in the same year?
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    They both obviously sound dated, still dope today and better than today' mediocre standards, like many of the classics-
    RTD, Chronic, Enter the 36, OBCL, infamous, ? .
  • Jack Purcell
    Jack Purcell Members Posts: 12
    illmatic as far as the originality, lyricism replay value, classic production. RD is dope as well but I still havent seen anybody try to recreate it.
  • maestro_lungs
    maestro_lungs Members Posts: 255
    You Can't Compare a Album from 94, Who's Singles & Buzz Was From 93 to a Album from Summer 96, Of Course Illmatic is Gonna Sound Dated compared to That....? , Ready to Die Sounds Dated Compared to Reasonable Doubt, But Reasonable Doubt isn't Better than Either, Just a More Newer sound. Lyrically Illmatic was Futuristic over Early 90's Throwback Music... Extra P, Pete Rock & Premier got they Nut Off & Was Pretty Much out The Game...How Many Major Classic did Extra P or Pete Rock Bless after Illmatic! Premier is a Different Story...Illmatic gave him a 2nd Breath as a Producer & Kind of Made Him More than Just The Dj for Gangstar
  • beni
    beni Members Posts: 1
    Illmatic is way better than RD. I have yet to listen to an album that had better verses than the tracks on Illmatic. The lyrics, the flow, the delivery, the energy, the passion, the punch lines, the story telling, the vocabulary, the slang....oh my ? . That album is the ultimate definition of a hip hop masterpiece. The only album that lyrically can touch Illmatic is Paid in Full by E-B & Rakim, but Illmatic has the better production. Illmatic made Jigga switch up his rhyming style, that's how influential Illmatic was. Cmn man.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reasonable Doubt
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Illmatic owns Reasonable Doubt. Reasonable Doubt is great but the only reason people talk about it is because of the star Jay-Z has become. Illmatic is the perfect example of a record that didn't sell a lot but made a lot of noise. If Nas had died or stopped making music after Illmatic, it would still be remember as a landmark and cornerstone of the genre. It would still be considered a seminal release and one of rap music and hip hop culture's crowning achievements. It doesn't sound dated it just sounds really New York and really Street. Nothing on Illmatic sounds as pretty as tracks like "Politics As Usual" and "Feelin' It" but that doesn't mean its dated. When Illmatic dropped the hip hop community froze, it was so dope and ahead of its time it put everyone on pause. It's like time stood still or something. Reasonable Doubt didn't do any of those things. It was respected as a dope album nothing more. It wasn't hailed an immediate masterpiece like Illmatic or Ready To Die or Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. It wasn't until Jay said on the title track of The Blueprint "Reasonable Doubt, classic should've went triple [platinum]" that people started going along with Jay's notion and labeling it a classic. I don't think it really earned that description honestly. Jay is a master of illusions. He knows how to combine making power moves with perfect timing and saying things at the perfect time to get people to see things in the light he wants them to see them in. Like how he and Kanye ? their whole way through promoting WTT and got people on board the album's bandwagon as if it's actually good or something. But anyway Illmatic always has and will owns Reasonable Doubt.