peterjageagle Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Social Lounge
why are so many vets homeless or are unemployed

Comments

• Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    they joined the military because they were too dumb to do anything else, and once they got out they were too dumb to do anything else
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The majority once they see death on that level they cant cope coming back into the real world. You become immune to death while your around it, you see a dead body it might ? you up at first, but once you get to the 15, 16th body it wont have no effect. When you come back it ? you up, you cant cope, the ? haunts you. Alot of em end up homeless because they come out broke, no family, turn to drugs, alcohol, etc.. to deal with what theyve seen. And alot go into the army because its the only option they have, when they come out they cant find work. Mostly its because of post traumatic stress disorder though. I havent met anyone who went into combat and came out right back into the real world like its nothing.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Very good question....I need to do some research on this....
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The majority once they see death on that level they cant cope coming back into the real world. You become immune to death while your around it, you see a dead body it might ? you up at first, but once you get to the 15, 16th body it wont have no effect. When you come back it ? you up, you cant cope, the ? haunts you. Alot of em end up homeless because they come out broke, no family, turn to drugs, alcohol, etc.. to deal with what theyve seen. And alot go into the army because its the only option they have, when they come out they cant find work. Mostly its because of post traumatic stress disorder though. I havent met anyone who went into combat and came out right back into the real world like its nothing.

This might make sense but if they get so numb to dead bodies, why do some get so dysfunctional in the real world? I mean, their NUMB to dead bodies right?
  • FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This might make sense but if they get so numb to dead bodies, why do some get so dysfunctional in the real world? I mean, their NUMB to dead bodies right?

Thats what makes them dysfunctional. Its called post traumatic stress syndrome. Its where you get used to ? up ? so much that when ? is normal it stresses you out and makes you paranoid.
    Imagine seeing a person shot right in front of you for the first time every day for the rest of your life.
    Thats how a vet with PTSS feels every day at the grocery store or on the bus, because to them seeing a person brutally murdered is normal and calms there nerves. Seeing normal peaceful ? is scary and puts them on edge.
    Also props @ CHOZENWUN for a real post.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options

Its death, we arent supposed to see it in that fashion. Yes its part of life, but when you see yourself and others causing it it plays its part on you. Like I said, when someone sees that first dead body it'll ? em up. But the 15th aint gonna be no different than the rest and it just becomes a part of you. You are used to walking around dead bodies and stepping on them like they dont exist. While your around it and that immunity is there its like rocks layin on the side of the road.

Once you return to the real world you see life, you dont see dead bodies you see life. Your mind takes over, those dead bodies will ? you up then. We will all witness death at some point, look how long it takes someone to cope with the death of a family member. Once you start gettin that playin in your head, you realize that those bodies were other peoples families, you realize you disregarded human life. Its hard to explain.

The same thing happens to people who are in the right mind and commit a murder. The first got you pukin, nightmares, tremors, all that. You do it the second and third time nothing happens, you get a thrill when you pull the trigger but no remorse or thought afterwards. You stop doing that though, and eventually it will ? you up. Look at prison how many guys commit suicide over past murders. Its all the same when the killin stops and you are around life, the nightmares start, the voices in your head, the sickness. ? aint no game.