would an nba allstar from 1948 make the league now?

Options
2»

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    man I hate Shaq but back then vs them white boys and u could goal tend he would average 60..... basket ball from the late 70's til now was a different game.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    man I hate Shaq but back then vs them white boys and u could goal tend he would average 60..... basket ball from the late 70's til now was a different game.

they wouldve changed the rules sooner if his unfairly big ass was playin
  • aneed123
    edited May 2010
    Options
    they wouldve changed the rules sooner if his unfairly big ass was playin

lol but they didnt change it for Wilt who was the Shaq of his day. he couldnt shoot free throws or jumpers. Shaq is Wilt times 2. None of those white boys could guard him.
  • wescravin
    wescravin Members Posts: 156
    edited May 2010
    Options
    they didnt have 3 secs in the key in wilts day either right??
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Probably, As far as still being an all star now hell no. I dont think half the guys who were stars in the 70s and 80s could make the all star team now. The league is too fast and medicine and eating right has turned every sport into guys that are 215+ and able to run faster than a average ? whos 5'6 and 150lbs. Not to mention the further back you go the more Centers and PF's you have that are like 6'5-6'6 and ? .

Think about it, for example at SF You’ve got Pippen, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, Rick Barry, James Worthy, John Havlicek, Bernard King, Alex English, Chris Mullin, Elgin Baylor … None of these guys could keep up with ? like Lebron and Melo

???????
    50's, 60's early- mid70's you right, ...? nowadays are waaaaaaay more talented...

but if u talkin late 70's 80's 90's u wrong...? nowadays lack the fundamentals, basket ball savvy,a high basket ball i.q, and to top it off they don't play defense no more...
    if u watch a game from the 80's or 90's them ? were gettin merked ...defensively the game was physical... nowadays the only way u can play defense is by puttin ya hand up and hope the muthafucka miss... i think Phil Jackson said it best, he said if "Mike was playing today he be scoring a hundred a game" and that's true...the game nowadays is waaaaaaaaaay more softer,the refs is callin invisible ? fouls more than ever,and the game is slower than ever... and to the o.gs of the 80's & 90's this ? would be a vacation...
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    look at the centers now...aint nobody on wilts level far as rebounding and scoring.

? , you aint' NEVER lied.
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Point is when MJ was playing early on guys were far under his athletic level. You put MJ in todays game and all that high flying ? wont make close to the difference it made then. His J wasnt great coming into the league either. His work ethic was so great he woulda been great no matter what but MJ coming into the league post 1995 as a rookie and his name aint what it is now.

? got amnesia

Clyde Drexler,David Thompson & Julius still had juice....Larry Nance,Larry Johnson,Daryl Dawkins...a Young Chris Webber, A young Very athletic Shaq & Alonzo, A young A.I.. i could go on...ya ? is tripping ,i could go on about athletic talent...David Robinson,Hakkem And Pat all in their primes... than we can talk about the defense Mike had to play against...
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    why yall talkin bout mike? i was talkin bout 50s dudes smh
  • likwid-cyance
    likwid-cyance Members Posts: 95
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lmao @ saying dudes just 20 years ago weren't as athletic

Nique and Spud Webb were shutting the dunk contests down

and defense was allowed to hand check and teams were still putting up 110 points regularly
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lmao @ saying dudes just 20 years ago weren't as athletic

Nique and Spud Webb were shutting the dunk contests down

and defense was allowed to hand check and teams were still putting up 110 points regularly

jordan himself said the defense now is better than when he 1st started
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    bill russel had no offensive game he would be like ben wallace nowadays, dude is highly overrated for being on teams with so many great players

Young ? Bill Russell's career FG% was 45% Lebron James is 47% Russell wasn't a weak offensive player he just didn't shoot the ball all that much cuz he didn't need to. He knew that he didn't need to hog the ball and throw up 30+ shots a gameto win, and thats exactly what he did he won. And ? forget he was 6'9 and his main rival was Wilt who was 7'1.

And Bill Russell knew the game he won a championship as a player/ head coach, lil ? learn ya history.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Young ? Bill Russell's career FG% was 45% Lebron James is 47% Russell wasn't a weak offensive player he just didn't shoot the ball all that much cuz he didn't need to. He knew that he didn't need to hog the ball and throw up 30+ shots a gameto win, and thats exactly what he did he won. And ? forget he was 6'9 and his main rival was Wilt who was 7'1.

And Bill Russell knew the game he won a championship as a player/ head coach, lil ? learn ya history.

why compare russell to lebron and not other players at his position?
  • white715
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jordan himself said the defense now is better than when he 1st started

The NBA is much softer now, this wasn't even a flagrant foul
  • white715
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    why compare russell to lebron and not other players at his position?

Fair point Amare's career FG% is 54% which is better than Russell's but his defensvie numbers ? on his not even a comparison. The NBA had to start recording blocks as stats because of Russell
  • aneed123
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Fair point Amare's career FG% is 54% which is better than Russell's but his defensvie numbers ? on his not even a comparison. The NBA had to start recording blocks as stats because of Russell

Russell was playing against unathletic white centers..... he Wilt and a couple others. look att eh athletic big men we have today. stiffs like Mike wouldnt do ? . the game was different back then. u can take AMare, and Shaq, and Dwight Howard and they would be GOAT back then
  • white715
    edited May 2010
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Russell was playing against unathletic white centers..... he Wilt and a couple others. look att eh athletic big men we have today. stiffs like Mike wouldnt do ? . the game was different back then. u can take AMare, and Shaq, and Dwight Howard and they would be GOAT back then

If you take those guys and bring them back to the past they have to eat the sae foods have the same health care, equipment, resources and pay. Advancements have come because of technology my man but even still Rusell could play in todays NBA IMO.

And off the court Rusell and Jim Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All these sellouts
  • aneed123
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you take those guys and bring them back to the past they have to eat the sae foods have the same health care, equipment, resources and pay. Advancements have come because of technology my man but even still Rusell could play in todays NBA IMO.

And off the court Rusell and Jim Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All these sellouts

Im not talking about Jim Brown. the tapes dont lie. Wilt was dominating lesser comp. the centers I named were blessed by ? with the athleticism they have not by health care or equipment. back then the NBA was more white and the rules were different. goal tending no 3 sec etc... guys today would feast on that
  • NonCreativeNickname
    NonCreativeNickname Members Posts: 192
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yes, because although modern hoopers are more athletic; players back in the day were fundamentally sound. For example, Tim Duncan has arguably been the best player of the past 13 years. He doesn't jump out of the gym like an Amare, doesn't dunk of people like Dwight, but he's mastered the art of basketball. His game is suited around bank shots, having efficient post and counter post moves etc. I could somebody like George Mikan sonning modern day post players in a comparable way to how Hakeem sonned Shaq.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That's what I'm sayin, take shaq(prime), amare and dwight and put em in a (huge)time machine and let em play in 1959 and the league will have to re think every rule after each of these dudes score like 110, all dunks
  • aneed123
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yes, because although modern hoopers are more athletic; players back in the day were fundamentally sound. For example, Tim Duncan has arguably been the best player of the past 13 years. He doesn't jump out of the gym like an Amare, doesn't dunk of people like Dwight, but he's mastered the art of basketball. His game is suited around bank shots, having efficient post and counter post moves etc. I could somebody like George Mikan sonning modern day post players in a comparable way to how Hakeem sonned Shaq.

Mikan would be on the bench today in warm ups. Put Chris Dudley or Rick Smits back then and they would dominate lol
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i truly believe i would have as good a chance of making a team in the 40's then those players would making a team in todays game, but anyone talking about 80's/90's players like they couldnt compete with lebron james or dwayne wade SHUT THE ? UP PLEEEASE! the game was 10X more physical back in the day, you had real centers in the league who would destroy the centers in todays game, and if you look at the celtics there somewhat of a throwback team and you seen what we did to wade, bron and then howard, your gonna sit here and tell me pippen wouldnt be able to keep up with bron??? ? outta here if anything bron wouldnt be ? in them days, maybe he would make the all star team sitting on the bench behind pippen but thats a stretch
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hell Nah' ......The game was different then , look how more athletic and fast the game is now, them dudes would be On Kevin Ollie Status

The Question should be "Would Kevin Ollie Get Minutes in 1948?"
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hell Nah' ......The game was different then , look how more athletic and fast the game is now, them dudes would be On Kevin Ollie Status

The Question should be "Would Kevin Ollie Get Minutes in 1948?"

He may have been an allstar

is that blasphemy?