The Official 2011-2012 NBA season thread

Options
dalyricalbandit
dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
edited January 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
So now that the lockout is done what should we expect, what players u think are going to impress ?, who takes the west?, who takes the east? who wins it all?

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The NBA regular season would run through April 26 and require teams to play at least one set of back-to-back-to-back games if a new labor deal is ratified in time to start on Christmas.

The league posted an outline of what the schedule would look like on its Twitter pages Sunday. The plan is a 66-game regular season, ending about 10 days later than usual. The last possible day of the NBA finals would be June 26, two weeks later than the championship series ended last season.

Teams would play 48 games within their conference and 18 nonconference games. Teams will not visit every NBA city.

Teams will play about two more games per month, but no team would play on three straight nights more than three times.

Back-to-backs might also be played during the second round of the postseason.

Owners and union officials reached agreement to end the 149-day lockout on Saturday following a marathon bargaining session. Players must still approve the deal, and once they do, training camps and free agency will open simultaneously on Dec. 9.

With the lockout likely over, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and other stars canceled their "Homecoming Tour" on Sunday.

The four-city tour was supposed to open in James' hometown of Akron, Ohio, on Dec. 1, but that game and three others have been scrapped now that the league and its players have a tentative labor agreement.
    "We are thrilled that a tentative agreement has been reached and are looking forward to getting back to work and playing basketball," Wade said in a statement. "We all want to reconnect with our teams to make sure we hit the ground running when training camps are expected to open on December 9. Our commitment to helping children and the communities doesn't stop, and the daily work of our foundations to do just this will continue, as always."

James and Wade, along with good friends Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony had games scheduled in Akron, New Orleans, Chicago and East Rutherford, N.J. Proceeds from the tour were to benefit the four headlining players' charitable foundations. The four superstars still plan to hold a charity event on Tuesday in New York.

Organizers for the canceled tour said tickets will be fully refunded at the point of purchase.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited November 2011
    Options
    the NBA lockout is over, and now talk about one of the biggest blockbuster moves, Chris Paul going to the Los Angeles Lakers, increases.

CP3 would complete a Lakers team that is no longer coached by Phil Jackson. This team is bringing in a new coaching staff and the Lakers know they need to build trust in these guys.

As a general manager, it would make sense to trade for a star so that your team can win now, giving your fans faith in your new coaches.

The best way for the Lakers to go about doing this would be to trade for Paul. Everyone knows LA needs a point guard, and they should be looking to get Paul.

The Lakers can't afford to spend money this year, but they could make a deal that doesn't require them to do so.

The New Orleans Hornets know that by trading Paul, it would allow the team to improve other areas. It is tough being one of the best point guards in the league if you don't have anyone to pass to, and he will surely leave them at the end of the season if they don't trade him.

The Hornets know they are not going to contend this year, and they will therefore be willing to pay all of CP3's contract in order to gain talent.

The Lakers can barely afford to sign a free agent so they should be looking for the cheapest way to gain talent. They could strike up a deal with the Hornets in which they don't have to pay a dime, and they would surely be willing to trade away a little more if they don't have to pay anything.

This should lead to the two sides making a deal that sends Paul to LA, making them a title contender.

With Paul, the Lakers will have CP3, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace (Ron Artest). That would be one of the best starting fives in the league, and they would immediately become one of the top two teams in the West.

Once these players all meshed together, the Lakers would be the best team in the NBA. They would surely bring another title to LA with Paul on their team, therefore they should trade for him immediately.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited November 2011
    Options
    [qoute]The 66-game regular-season schedule presumably is still on the drawing board, but already the NBA has made a huge mistake.

Opening day for the abbreviated 2011-12 season will be Dec. 25. The league got this part right. Christmas Day was a wise decision and an obvious choice. It’s important to get off on the right foot following a 149-day lockout which, based on the tentative agreement, appears as though it could have easily been settled in 49 days.

Where the league got it wrong was scheduling only three games on opening day — the Celtics at the Knicks; the Heat at the Mavericks; the Bulls at the Lakers.

Rather than cater solely to the major markets, the league should have included everybody. Why in the name of David Stern weren’t 15 games slated for Christmas Day? Schedule these games in the right arenas and there might have been nothing but sellouts on opening day.

Including all 30 teams would have been the proper sign of goodwill in celebration of the new collective bargaining agreement. Show fans every team is created equal (even though they aren’t). Allow every team to share the stage. Small-market teams like the Thunder certainly would have appreciated the gesture.

Stern and Co. are a sharp bunch, but they whiffed on this one.

I have no idea when the revised schedule will be determined. Maybe it’s already complete. If not, then make the change and schedule 15 games. Make it a Merry Christmas for every team and its fans, not just the Big Six.[/quote]
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    gawd damn u just dont know how glad i am to see this thread..
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited November 2011
    Options
    gawd damn u just dont know how glad i am to see this thread..

lol man this joint was missing g.r.i.p
  • Ier30
    Ier30 Members Posts: 311
    edited November 2011
    Options
    since i havent seen this yet its usually a yearly thing to say if portland stay healthy they gone give somebody problems this year lol
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ier30 wrote: »
    since i havent seen this yet its usually a yearly thing to say if portland stay healthy they gone give somebody problems this year lol
    lol they wont stay healthy though.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Westbrook > Rose
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Westbrook > Rose

Niqqa pleaze!!!!
  • Shizlansky
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Niqqa pleaze!!!!

what does Rose do better then Rus?

Shoot - Rus
    Pass - Rus (slight edge)
    Dribble - Tie
    Drive - Rose (slight edge)
    DFF - Rus
    Turnovers - Tie
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    So now that the lockout is done what should we expect, what players u think are going to impress ?, who takes the west?, who takes the east? who wins it all?

WCF - Thuder vs Blazers

ECF - Heat -Knicks if they get CP3 if not its Bulls
    Ier30 wrote: »

cosign this
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    So we gon act like I didnt create this thread 3-4 days ago?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    this is how the season should be every year. fewer games. packed into a shorter amount of time. this is what the nba has needed.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    So we gon act like I didnt create this thread 3-4 days ago?

still no love for the most unknown, i see. ? is beyond criminal. its been a year now since i gave you profile and these ? still don't recognize your contributions!!!
  • HustleThaDon
    edited November 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    still no love for the most unknown, i see. ? is beyond criminal. its been a year now since i gave you profile and these ? still don't recognize your contributions!!!

It's cool son. Rockets all day!
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bulls need another scorer to help Rose... ? is ass cheeks....

Also will they be any preseason games to atlest get some chemistry among players and what about All Star Weekend?
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Shoot - Rus
    Pass - Rus (slight edge)
    Dribble - Tie
    DFF - Rus
    Turnovers - Tie
    Rose is better player than Westbrook not by much though what holds westbrook back is decision making he got to know every game he does not need 2 shoot 2 take over b/c he not even the best player on the team. They're times u pass it 2 Durant and move out the way and he showed some flaws late in the playoffs Scott Brooks had 2 take some pressure off of Westbrook and put Harden (who is the Thunders best distributor)at the point postion.
  • HustleThaDon
    edited November 2011
    Options
    phpMWmthz30623221.gif

N/h.....................
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Shoot - Rus
    Pass - Rus (slight edge)
    Dribble - Tie
    DFF - Rus
    Turnovers - Tie

put westbrook on that bulls team and that team does not win 62 games and make it to the ecf
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    My ? (Kings) grabbin that 8th spot...belee dat!
  • Ier30
    Ier30 Members Posts: 311
    edited November 2011
    Options
    O yea s/o my ? steph and monta i hope mark jackson can coach and they can sneak into the playoffs
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hopefully the nets add some good shooting guards and small forwards that can run the floor and can spot up and shoot. we haven't had a good sg/sf combo since vince and jefferson.
  • Shizlansky
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    Rose is better player than Westbrook not by much though what holds westbrook back is decision making he got to know every game he does not need 2 shoot 2 take over b/c he not even the best player on the team. They're times u pass it 2 Durant and move out the way and he showed some flaws late in the playoffs Scott Brooks had 2 take some pressure off of Westbrook and put Harden (who is the Thunders best distributor)at the point postion.

I love Rose but his decision making aint where you should be for a MVP taking 3's and shooting % is bad

But Rose is right behind him IMO

CP3
    Westbrook
    Rose

My top 3
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    put westbrook on that bulls team and that team does not win 62 games and make it to the ecf

exactly... ? in here trippin
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I wasn't aware that there were people in this world that actually thought Russell Westbrook was better than Derrick Rose...? really be on some ? in here..