What is it that made Pac a lyricist?

Options
Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Reason
Is it because he was poetic? Is it because he was good at conveying emotion?

Lyricism, to a lot of people, would be defined as use of multis, double entendres, similes, metaphors, personification, and other literary techniques. But is this a one-dimensional view of lyricism?

Most will agree that Pac lacked the technical abilities of say, a Nas or a Jay-Z...but does that make Pac any less of a lyricist?

Comments

• weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's not one-dimensional. Technical skill and intangibles need to be separated every once in a while.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Pac was not a lyricist.
    He was a dope poet though.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    PAC showed flashes every now and then but wasn't a great lyricist. He was a great ALL around rapper though he had the whole package.

It's like canibus who is 25x the lyricist PAC ever was, but couldn't touch his charisma, storytelling skills, intropective and poetry. Or couldn't make songs like he did.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tupac used many poetic techniques in his rhymes like alliteration, personification, metaphors, similies, vertical rythm, assonance, consonance, hyperbole, etc. etc.

Tupac was a very poetic rapper.

there's a community on the internet who seem to only value the merit of multi-syllable rhymes and these people hate tupac with a vengeance.(it's very odd)

Tupac also used multi sylablle rhymes just not as much as some other artists.

if you count the meter of Pac's rhymes most happen to be iambic pentameter. if that ain't poetic i don't know what is.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Is it because he was poetic? Is it because he was good at conveying emotion?

Lyricism, to a lot of people, would be defined as use of multis, double entendres, similes, metaphors, personification, and other literary techniques. But is this a one-dimensional view of lyricism?

Most will agree that Pac lacked the technical abilities of say, a Nas or a Jay-Z...but does that make Pac any less of a lyricist?

The bolded seems to be what people have come to describe as lyricism...even I do/have. But I must admit that it's a one-dimensional description because it omits the alternate definition:

Lyricism- an intense outpouring of exuberant emotion; expressing direct and usu. intense personal emotion

So if we go by the alternate definition, Pac was a supreme lyricist.
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Pac was lyrical. He just wasn't witty with it.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Cosign 100%

Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    Tupac used many poetic techniques in his rhymes like alliteration, personification, metaphors, similies, vertical rythm, assonance, consonance, hyperbole, etc. etc.

there's a community on the internet who seem to only value the merit of multi-syllable rhymes and these people hate tupac with a vengeance.(it's very odd)

if you count the meter of Pac's rhymes most happen to be iambic pentameter. if that ain't poetic i don't know what is.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    PAC showed flashes every now and then but wasn't a great lyricist. He was a great ALL around rapper though he had the whole package.

It's like canibus who is 25x the lyricist PAC ever was, but couldn't touch his charisma, storytelling skills, intropective and poetry. Or couldn't make songs like he did.

^^ what he said...
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The bolded seems to be what people have come to describe as lyricism...even I do/have. But I must admit that it's a one-dimensional description because it omits the alternate definition:

Lyricism- an intense outpouring of exuberant emotion; expressing direct and usu. intense personal emotion

So if we go by the alternate definition, Pac was a supreme lyricist.

So in hindsight, it's really the substance of one's lyrics. Which is understandable.

It's what separates Pac from someone like a Soulja Boy or Gucci Mane, seeing as how none of these artists are known for witty wordplay and double meanings and all that complex ? .
  • weezyfgarbage
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Better to keep subject matter and "lyricism" separate terms, IMO. Technical skill and deep subject matter don't always go hand in hand.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Better to keep subject matter and "lyricism" separate terms, IMO. Technical skill and deep subject matter don't always go hand in hand.

Quoted for emphasis... that's why we'll always have countless Nas vs. Jay threads
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Exhibit A: Diamonds on my neck lookin like fruit loop cereal.

Exhibit B: Even as a ? pheen mama/ You always was a black queen mama.

Does subject matter/substance sometimes not separate what is lyricism from what is not lyricism?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Exhibit A: Diamonds on my neck lookin like fruit loop cereal.

Exhibit B: Even as a ? pheen mama/ You always was a black queen mama.

Does subject matter/substance sometimes not separate what is lyricism from what is not lyricism?

When did Pac say this? Let me know so I can delete his discography off my itunes.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? really saying Pac had lyrics?
    dudes lyrics were on level with Gucci Mane.
    Now his substance was what made him great.
  • 1of1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    isayas wrote: »
    When did Pac say this? Let me know so I can delete his discography off my itunes.

C'mon son...Pac said the Exhibit B part
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? really saying Pac had lyrics?
    dudes lyrics were on level with Gucci Mane.
    Now his substance was what made him great.

On the level of gucci mane, that's just mean lol
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options

Dude has a point, as far as technical abilities go.

But is that really what defines LYRICISM...?

Now that's the question...
  • 1of1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Lyricism is not the same as Wordplay. Pac didn't use clever or witty wordplay, but he was a supreme lyricist. People have become accustomed to misunderstanding the true definition of lyricism.
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Do you guys make threads like these just to frustrate and ? off the Tupac fans. Take a poetry class. Read a book you ? .
    People have become accustomed to misunderstanding the true definition of lyricism.

• ItzGravitation
    edited May 2010
    Options

dude wasnt using no big wors or ? .
    Pac told stories and other ? .
  • weezyfgarbage
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Lyricism is not the same as Wordplay. Pac didn't use clever or witty wordplay, but he was a supreme lyricist. People have become accustomed to misunderstanding the true definition of lyricism.

uh, what? Wordplay is a subset of lyricism...
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    WOW. Is someone in this thread catching feelings? Let's keep the emotions to a minimum and have a respectable discussion.

Using literary techniques isn't how lyricism is defined, from a technical standpoint. So whether or not Pac's wordplay was complex, it doesn't take away from his lyricism...because, as mvgo said I believe, wordplay and lyricism are different.
  • weezyfgarbage
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lol they aren't, lyricism is an umbrella term and wordplay falls under that...
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yeah im ? off. i don't give a ? . you are not really making sense at all to be honest.

look for the idiots a song has lyrics ok.

a person that writes a song is a lyricist regardless of how poor the lyrics are. even gucci mane is a lyricist in that sense.

I made the point that Tupac is lyricist and a very poetic one at that.

I pointed out some of the poetic tools Pac used in his lyrics.

I feel like im arguing with a crackhead because your responses are so void of intelligence.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    yeah im ? off. i don't give a ? . you are not really making sense at all to be honest.

look for the idiots a song has lyrics ok.

a person that writes a song is a lyricist regardless of how poor the lyrics are. even gucci mane is a lyricist in that sense.

I made the point that Tupac is lyricist and a very poetic one at that.

I pointed out some of the poetic tools Pac used in his lyrics.

I feel like im arguing with a crackhead because your responses are so void of intelligence.

We're agreeing with you. So all this isn't really necessary.

Damn. Change your ? .