Is it true that EVERY top 10 has to have Rakim on it?

Options
Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Reason
Is this just one of those unwritten rules somewhere? That even if the other 9 spots were subjective, ONE has to be reserved for the ? MC.

Anybody that revolutionized the art of emceeing to the extent that Rakim did, he would have to be amongst the greatest.

There's really just no way you can get around that.

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No... he fell off a long time ago (in terms of popularity and sales)

But... he's still got it in him... I have his last album The 7th Seal
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    he's not in mine
    never listened to the ?
    i was born in 86
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    skillwise i dont think there are 10 better than rah...but when mentioning top 10's theres a lot of factors...some of these cats rate rappers by swag and picking beats so u never know
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not my favorites just the GOAT list.

Based on:

natural ability
    lyricism
    flow
    album quality(#of classics)
    switching up style
    legacy
    impact
    freestyling
    songwriting
    longevity
    influence on the game
    peak

1.rakim
    2.nas
    3.ice cube
    4.2pac
    5.krs one
    6. Eminem
    7.big daddy Kane
    8. Jay z
    9. Notorious big
    10. Common

Honorable mention(no order)
    az
    pun
    canibus
    ll
    scarface
    gza
    ?
    talib
    most def
    slick rick
  • dubzz
    dubzz Members Posts: 187
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Respect to the ? . I could see how he wouldn't be on a top 10 for2000 onwards or the late nineties, but he should be on for every top 10 of all time and he should be in the top 3 of the greatest of all time - he's my number 1.

He revolutionized hip hop and his chunes have aged well.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    he's not in mine
    never listened to the ?
    i was born in 86

Yeah when he dropped the real Blueprint... Paid In Full
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me put it like this, would you leave Muhammad Ali out of your top ten Heavyweight boxers list? Would you leave Tiger Woods out of your top ten golfers list? Would you leave Michael Jordan out of your top ten basketball players list? Anyone who leaves Rakim out of their top ten rappers list needs to punch his own head in till he comes to his senses and realises his list and his life has all been a lie.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me put it like this, would you leave Muhammad Ali out of your top ten Heavyweight boxers list? Would you leave Tiger Woods out of your top ten golfers list? Would you leave Michael Jordan out of your top ten basketball players list? Anyone who leaves Rakim out of their top ten rappers list needs to punch his own head in till he comes to his senses and realises his list and his life has all been a lie.

Dog u hit on the head.............i almost said otherwise until i read this post.............to the youngings.........this man is dead right......
    With that said....... Wayne should be on everybody list....... once C IV drops.....Top 20 or something
  • Neva_Change
    Neva_Change Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ra fell out of my top 10 ever since he called the cross-dresser Muhammad Ali.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOL @ the new orleans ? who thinks wayne belongs in a top 20.
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Is this just one of those unwritten rules somewhere? That even if the other 9 spots were subjective, ONE has to be reserved for the ? MC.

Anybody that revolutionized the art of emceeing to the extent that Rakim did, he would have to be amongst the greatest.

There's really just no way you can get around that.

I have him in my top 5, but then again my top 5 isn't your standard top 5...and based on actual skills I think he's the true GOAT.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I believe it does. As well as Slcik Rick, LL, Kane, G-Rap and KRS-One. They are the archietects of what we know Hip Hop to be.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited June 2010
    Options
    thats ? .
    I dont have Rakim in my top anything and never will.
    Dude sound too plain and is one the most overatted MCs ever.
    Maybe he was the Jay/Nas/Wayne/Em of his day lyricly but compared to rap today dudes recent ? was garbage.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOL @ the new orleans ? who thinks wayne belongs in a top 20.

Lol.....i like that screen name...... ? u know u got every wayne mixtape and cd.....from Block is Hot to Blue Martian....
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    he's not in mine
    never listened to the ?
    i was born in 86

c/s i was born in 86 also so i never listened to him.....and i dont really feel the need to go back and listen to him
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's a shame that so called Hip Hop listeners don't know what artists like Rakim did for lyricism and the state of Hip Hop today. I have never listened to the Ramones but I know what they did for Punk Music.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    thats ? .
    I dont have Rakim in my top anything and never will.
    Dude sound too plain and is one the most overatted MCs ever.
    Maybe he was the Jay/Nas/Wayne/Em of his day lyricly but compared to rap today dudes recent ? was garbage.

Seriously? Damn, overrated? you sound like one of them dudes who wishes todays rap was better that ? back in the day. Keep telling yourself that my friend, you might actually start believing it.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol.....i like that screen name...... ? u know u got every wayne mixtape and cd.....from Block is Hot to Blue Martian....

Ehhhh not so much....kinda fitting that he's biting Avatar, overrated movie to go with an overrated rapper. 2 peas in a pod, yes ? .
  • dubzz
    dubzz Members Posts: 187
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Seriously? Damn, overrated? you sound like one of them dudes who wishes todays rap was better that ? back in the day. Keep telling yourself that my friend, you might actually start believing it.

You said it.
    Guaranteed these kids don't know the impact Rakim had on the game and haven't given his catalogue a good listen. How anyone could listen to "Microphone Fiend", for example, and say that the man is overrated is beyond me.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ... He only gets bumped in "Grand Theft Auto" cars.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited June 2010
    Options

like i said.
    dude may have been doing alot then but now dudes music is trash.
    Its small compared to the fish it swims with.
    btw, 2000s Hip Hop is better than Hip Hop in Rakims day.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't think you have to listen to his catalogue to know his contribution to the creation of high level lyricism. Without Rakim many MC's wouldn't have had the blueprint in which to begin putting together coherent and meaningful rhymes.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    like i said.
    dude may have been doing alot then but now dudes music is trash.
    Its small compared to the fish it swims with.
    btw, 2000s Hip Hop is better than Hip Hop in Rakims day.

First off You LIE like a Rug. All this cookie cutter non-creative ? is whack. Second we aren't discussing POPULARITY. Rakim's Skills changed the course of Hip Hop and the manner in which MC's would Rhyme. His same candence and Rhyme structure is still used by many today.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if Rakim didnt do it someone else would have.
    not saying dude wasnt good for Hip Hop.
    just stating the obvious.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    First off You LIE like a Rug. All this cookie cutter non-creative ? is whack. Second we aren't discussing POPULARITY. Rakim's Skills changed the course of Hip Hop and the manner in which MC's would Rhyme. His same candence and Rhyme structure is still used by many today.

Maybe in NY.
    but i doubt rappers from other regions listened to dude and thought...'I'll change eveything about the way i rap and be like Rakim"
  • chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? Rakim. He ain't on my top10. Tupac,Nas,Jay-Z,Ice Cube,Biggie,Scarface,Ghostface Killah,Kurupt,Redman, DMX, Method Man