Is it true that EVERY top 10 has to have Rakim on it?

Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    chompollet wrote: »
    ? Rakim. He ain't on my top10. Tupac,Nas,Jay-Z,Ice Cube,Biggie,Scarface,Ghostface Killah,Kurupt,Redman, DMX, Method Man

I can respect that. But Nas was touted as, the second coming of Rakim, Method Man, and Ghost both inject 5 percent Knowledge into their Rhymes, MC's Like Tupac, Cube, and Scarface all inject some version of Knowledge while keeping in-line with Rakim's style of High Level Lyricism. It's quite odd that you obviously respect and enjoy High Level Lyricism but have no respect for the MC that had a large part in creating it?
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Maybe in NY.
    but i doubt rappers from other regions listened to dude and thought...'I'll change eveything about the way i rap and be like Rakim"

Scarface, and Spice 1 both have said Rakim had a huge influence on how they developed as MC's. You have to take into consideration there weren't any regions. There was NY and ONLY NY. When Hip Hop made it's splash outside of NY Rakum was one of those artists you heard on radio or came to your town on tour.
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me put it like this, would you leave Muhammad Ali out of your top ten Heavyweight boxers list? Would you leave Tiger Woods out of your top ten golfers list? Would you leave Michael Jordan out of your top ten basketball players list? Anyone who leaves Rakim out of their top ten rappers list needs to punch his own head in till he comes to his senses and realises his list and his life has all been a lie.
    Unfortunately for the youngins, Rakim isn't dead or hasn't retired from Hip Hop. As far as the comparison to Tiger, Rakim was missing for 10 years when alot of these youngins would've had the opportunity to hear him. I definitely see what you're trying to say but Hip Hop is totally different from sports. Hip Hop is about your voice to a funky beat and being seen as much as possible. If you disappear whether or not you reigned supreme back in the day, once you come back, you're dealing with a whole new set of rules and new fans who don't know who the hell you are !! Its not like BET and The radio is gonna show you love like ESPN will Jordan.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? Rakim. He ain't on my top10. Tupac,Nas,Jay-Z,Ice Cube,Biggie,Scarface,Ghostface Killah,Kurupt,Redman, DMX, Method Man
    You just stated 11 rappers.....which one are you going to take off?!?!?!?
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Scarface, and Spice 1 both have said Rakim had a huge influence on how they developed as MC's. You have to take into consideration there weren't any regions. There was NY and ONLY NY. When Hip Hop made it's splash outside of NY Rakum was one of those artists you heard on radio or came to your town on tour.

ok you guys win.
    Rakim influenced alot of ? . i admitted that.
    but dude is still ovratted and someone would have done it if he didnt.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Unfortunately for the youngins, Rakim isn't dead or hasn't retired from Hip Hop. As far as the comparison to Tiger, Rakim was missing for 10 years when alot of these youngins would've had the opportunity to hear him. I definitely see what you're trying to say but Hip Hop is totally different from sports. Hip Hop is about your voice to a funky beat and being seen as much as possible. If you disappear whether or not you reigned supreme back in the day, once you come back, you're dealing with a whole new set of rules and new fans who don't know who the hell you are !! Its not like BET and The radio is gonna show you love like ESPN will Jordan.

Again, this isn't about how long Rakim Reigned supreme. Rakim introducing MC's and Hip Hoppers to High Level Lyricism is, what Rakim brilliance and legacy represent. Rakim's attention to Lyricism is still mimiced in today's brand of Hip Hop.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dubzz wrote: »
    You said it.
    Guaranteed these kids don't know the impact Rakim had on the game and haven't given his catalogue a good listen. How anyone could listen to "Microphone Fiend", for example, and say that the man is overrated is beyond me.

Follow The Leader was one of the first albums I ever bought and it still sounds dope today. The problem is with some of these young ones is, they have no sense of hip hop history. They don't want to relate to old school ? because when Rakim was ripping mics these young dudes was eating ? out of their nappies and rubbing it on their faces. Todays hip hop and rappers don't come close to the old school legends like Rakim, Kane, G Rap. These kids need to stop talking ? and take it like men, the truth is a bitter pill to swallow but eat up.
  • chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim is great but I guess I'm too young... I never get into his music.

Right now I play some Cormega ? The Testament is some real ? .
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yea i don't have him in my top 10
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok you guys win.

You are missing the point. Really, you are.
  • cubaroid
    cubaroid Members Posts: 483
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i dont , tho i have BDK in my top5
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim is great but I guess I'm too young... I never get into his music.

Right now I play some Cormega ? The Testament is some real ? .

You are not to young. Listen to Cormega's real ? and know that Rakim Sparked that real ? and cats rhyme the way they do because of Rakim and Rakim's contemporaries. i.e. Slick Rick, KRS, Kane, LL and Grap.
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Again, this isn't about how long Rakim Reigned supreme. Rakim introducing MC's and Hip Hoppers to High Level Lyricism is, what Rakim brilliance and legacy represent. Rakim's attention to Lyricism is still mimiced in today's brand of Hip Hop.
    No Doubt Kwan. You don't have to tell me, the 75 in my name is the year I was born. I know about his lyricism. I attented one of his 1st concerts. What I'm saying is this though, yes its mimiced but they don't know that through Rakim, they know it from Nas. Maybe if Rakim would've continued throughout the decade, these yougin's would see this and props would be given. If you were born in 86 as someone stated, You probably started checking truthfully for Hip Hop and understanding the lyrics, depending on your ear by 10 years old - thats 96, now who was poppin' in 1996 ?
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    cubaroid wrote: »
    i dont , tho i have BDK in my top5

And he should be. I am perplexed as, to how so called Hip Hop listeners are lost on the FACT that Rakim, Kane, G-Rap, LL, KRS and Slick Rick are the top of the list. Any MC you could name after them is, nothing but a byproduct. It could be argued that others are better or they have been surpassed but those after wouldn't have even thought about rhyming the way they do if, not for the aforementioned MC's.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No Doubt Kwan. You don't have to tell me, the 75 in my name is the year I was born. I know about his lyricism. I attented one of his 1st concerts. What I'm saying is this though, yes its mimiced but they don't know that through Rakim, they know it from Nas. Maybe if Rakim would've continued throughout the decade, these yougin's would see this and props would be given. If you were born in 86 as someone stated, You probably started checking truthfully for Hip Hop and understanding the lyrics, depending on your ear by 10 years old - thats 96, now who was poppin' in 1996 ?

I understand completely. And I guess this moves into the realm of TRUE Hip Hoppers vs. Consumers. I would think if, you like Nas you would want to know who inspired NAS because, it would be obvious that Nas isn't the creator of Hip Hop. So, I think true Hip Hoppers know the deal and consumers choose to start at the year they first got a listen while discarding all before it.
  • koncretemind
    koncretemind Members Posts: 1,439
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No...................
  • Old Fart
    Old Fart Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    probably gonna have to agree that any legit hip-hop list would have Ra in the top 10. I got Ra closer to 10 than top 5 though. The reason he's that low on my list is that i value longevity and consistency a lot. yeah I got Kane at #5 but I was always one to rank Ra below Kane anyway during their era. back then Ra and Kane were like BIG and Pac....most fans picked one over the other.
  • Old Fart
    Old Fart Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok you guys win.
    people giving you ? but i understand where you're coming from and I'm 40. Ra came from my era and I aint feeling this new era too much. you didn't grow up on Ra so your opinion is based on what you actually seen/heard instead of numbers and reports. i get that. Now that I'm old enough to see a definate generation gap I can put it into perspective. you just don't know. That's no different than me not having Jimi Hendrix in my top 10 guitarists since I didn't actually grow up listening to him. Ask me who is the best and I'm gonna tell you Prince. That's no disrespect to Jimi, it's just being real about what I grew up on.

So I get it. I laugh and SMH but I get it.
  • dubzz
    dubzz Members Posts: 187
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Follow The Leader was one of the first albums I ever bought and it still sounds dope today. The problem is with some of these young ones is, they have no sense of hip hop history. They don't want to relate to old school ? because when Rakim was ripping mics these young dudes was eating ? out of their nappies and rubbing it on their faces. Todays hip hop and rappers don't come close to the old school legends like Rakim, Kane, G Rap. These kids need to stop talking ? and take it like men, the truth is a bitter pill to swallow but eat up.

ha ha, yeah man. I was still pretty young when that album dropped, but fortunately I had older heads to show me the way.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? the ? actin like a ? ......he should know who he is.....when he see this post.......

Now back to Rakim Allah...... i always ranked him high....but after checking this thread and reading different post..... i have to say...

Rakim did it to him self...... he was supposed to go down as the best...... but really how can he keep getting props for ? he did over 2 decades...
    Now dont get me wrong as far as lyrics i havent heard anybody quite on Ra's levels....but to be honest..... a classic is always nice....but im not always a classic
    car type of dude.....when i pop Rakim ? and Biggie and Pac.....it all sound dated......

I will go out on a limb and i guess the hip hop purist will have a major depressive state after they read this......

Roscoe Dash - ShowOut........ that ? is pure flames....pure ? ....hottest song out....right ahead Beamer Benz and Bently.....
    Rakim havent really hit me nothing besides 7th Seal......and i wanted so long i thought that ? would be perfect....

Just now-a-days....music is more entertaining.....i love Rakim and he deserve to be placed high......
    But really..... if he died it wouldve helped so much more......we gettin to see what maybe wouldve happen to Big or Pac if they was alive

Because ? will always say Rakim had classics and he was so ahead his time......well truthfully time has caught up to Father Time....
    U can see the grey in his beard.....u can hear in his flow the age is catching him........u see Jay-Z know something about having a legacy...
    see Rakim had a legacy.......to all the old-heads......any hip hoppers from the 80's will always say Rakim is better then everybody....
    just like my uncle say Oscar Rob.....was and will always be better then Jordan......like these kids......are saying now...that Lebron is better then Jordan
    for me.....the only ? can ever be better the Jordan is Kobe......Bron has a long way......

Rakim ? up.......he wasnt giving the people nothing.......yall sound stupid.....tryna hold this ? up from the 80's....that 2 decades ago......music have changed
    production have change....so much have changed.....but Rakim stayed the same.....this aint 1980....and I dont live in New York
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ra fell out of my top 10 ever since he called the cross-dresser Muhammad Ali.

but then you listen to jeezy/ross/gucci dont you?
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And he should be. I am perplexed as, to how so called Hip Hop listeners are lost on the FACT that Rakim, Kane, G-Rap, LL, KRS and Slick Rick are the top of the list. Any MC you could name after them is, nothing but a byproduct. It could be argued that others are better or they have been surpassed but those after wouldn't have even thought about rhyming the way they do if, not for the aforementioned MC's.
    I understand completely. And I guess this moves into the realm of TRUE Hip Hoppers vs. Consumers. I would think if, you like Nas you would want to know who inspired NAS because, it would be obvious that Nas isn't the creator of Hip Hop. So, I think true Hip Hoppers know the deal and consumers choose to start at the year they first got a listen while discarding all before it.

You are 100% correct, like I said some people are serious about hip hop and know the deal while others have no sense of the history behind it.
    Old ? wrote: »
    people giving you ? but i understand where you're coming from and I'm 40. Ra came from my era and I aint feeling this new era too much. you didn't grow up on Ra so your opinion is based on what you actually seen/heard instead of numbers and reports. i get that. Now that I'm old enough to see a definate generation gap I can put it into perspective. you just don't know. That's no different than me not having Jimi Hendrix in my top 10 guitarists since I didn't actually grow up listening to him. Ask me who is the best and I'm gonna tell you Prince. That's no disrespect to Jimi, it's just being real about what I grew up on.

So I get it. I laugh and SMH but I get it.

I understand wanting to be a part of what you grew up on and that's fine, but that does not mean it's the best. Again it shows people have no sense of music history. Whatever genre of music your discussing whether it be Rock, Soul, Reggae etc It' would be ignorant for a Beyonce fan to talk ? about Aretha Franklin and not recognize what that woman has done for soul music. Same would apply to an Usher fan talkin ? about Marvin Gaye. Surely you understand? These artists are timeless what you call classic. By the way not having Jimi Hendrix in your top ten guitarists is a crime in its self. I didn't grow up in the era of jimi Hendrix but I was listening to his music when I was a young teen because I took the time to experience all music and not just what was out at the exact time I was growing up
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are 100% correct, like I said some people are serious about hip hop and know the deal while others have no sense of the history behind it.

I understand wanting to be a part of what you grew up on and that's fine, but that does not mean it's the best. Again it shows people have no sense of music history. Whatever genre of music your discussing whether it be Rock, Soul, Reggae etc It' would be ignorant for a Beyonce fan to talk ? about Aretha Franklin and not recognize what that woman has done for soul music. Same would apply to an Usher fan talkin ? about Marvin Gaye. Surely you understand? These artists are timeless what you call classic. By the way not having Jimi Hendrix in your top ten guitarists is a crime in its self. I didn't grow up in the era of jimi Hendrix but I was listening to his music when I was a young teen because I took the time to experience all music and not just what was out at the exact time I was growing up
    True, but to add to that. A lot of black youth are ignorant or completely unaware
    of what Rakim had brought to Hip Hop. Before Rakim, most rappers would rhyme conventionally at
    at the end of the line just like most commercial/radio rappers that you hear today. Rakim
    brought in his own, new style of lyricism and rhyming techniques. Without him we really don't
    know if and when emcees would be using:

1) Multi-syllabic rhymes - "So I start my mission- leave my residence
    Thinkin how could I get some dead presidents"

2) Unconventional rhymes - "Write a rhyme in grafitti and, every show you see me in
    Deep concentration, cause I'm no comedian"

3) Internal Rhymes - "When I'm gone, no one gets on, cause I won't let
    nobody press up, and mess up, the scene I set"

4) Cliff-hangers - "But now I learned to earn cos I'm righteous
    I feel great! so maybe I might just.......

Search for a 9 to 5"
    5) Catch phrases - "Dead presidents," It ain't where you're from, but where you're at."
    I can take a phrase that's rarely heard, FLIP IT
    Now it's a daily word

These are obvious reasons as why a lot of people put him up there for his contributions.
    But who else can you say has made rappers step up their game as for lyricism and rhyming in the
    past 5 years?
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Then the question would be should a top 10 be based on who revolutionized the genre or who do I think is the most talented and\or who has had the most illustrious career? Because I'm sure it could be relatively easy for anyone to name 10 rappers lyrically and artistically superior to Rakim.