Should Pat Tillman be elected in the Football Hall of Fame?

Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
should he be voted in?

Comments

• john2009
    john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    i dont watch football...but if his college career was good.....why not..

if its b/c he got killed in a war...NO!!! they should be electing college foortbal records...NOT sympathy votes....i liked that he became and hero and ? ....but dis is a football hall of fame...
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    No, He just like the other millions who die in war. Just because he was in the NFL dont make him into the Hall, he deserves the same recognition as everyone who died in war and nothing more.
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    john2009 wrote: »
    i dont watch football...but if his college career was good.....why not..

if its b/c he got killed in a war...NO!!! they should be electing college foortbal records...NOT sympathy votes....i liked that he became and hero and ? ....but dis is a football hall of fame...

he's already in the college hall of fame.

this is asking if he shoud be inthe Pro Football Hall Of Fame
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    He deserves to be in the hall of idiots quitting the pro's and joining up too fight this phantom ? war.? wrong with him hero my ass!
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    Since the NFL, ever since Goodell has taken over, began to stress the importance of character, both on and off the field and Tillman probably exemplified that character more so than anyone who ever has played and probably ever will play, maybe he should at least be considered.
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    Word the hall of fame is not for good smaritians...numbers talk

oh yeah, so how do offensive lineman get in?
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    no, he was a marginal player in the NFL. now if they wanna give him some special award from the HOF committee for his service in the army thats cool
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Reggie80 wrote: »
    He deserves to be in the hall of idiots quitting the pro's and joining up too fight this phantom ? war.? wrong with him hero my ass!

"? up ? " Post of the year nominee

But nah they shouldn't add him to the Hall because of this. He can be memorialized somewhere else.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    He died of friendly fire.... he did nothing as a football player what he did was admirable in some circles but he was no hero.. ? sucks that they tried to use him and covered up the whole incident
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    No,....dude was trash
  • jjswipe
    jjswipe Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    NO...........................
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    to turn down a 30 million dollar contract to go fight in a war, to serve the country is admirable in itself. it far exceeds the character the league tries to promote. This would have been the same whether he lived, died, or whatever.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    He died of friendly fire.... he did nothing as a football player what he did was admirable in some circles but he was no hero.. ? sucks that they tried to use him and covered up the whole incident

lol how convenient of everybody to forget that FACT

when you think about it this whole situation is ironic. He selflessly gave up a career in football for his country. He wanted no fame and no fortune. And in return he got killed by his own ppl, used as propaganda by the US gov't and paraded around as iconic by the nfl.
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    he was viewed as a person of great character the day he enlisted. dying only added to that status. and how he died doesn't really effect anything about how people should view him.

but i dont know if he should get in. I'm just playing devils advocate i guess
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    I think all sports should put some kind of sub section into the Hall where players, coaches, etc.. who served in the military should be honored in. But leave the HOF for the achievements on the field stuff, if those achievements get them in, then you can add the other stuff alongside the career accomplishments as well.
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited May 2010
    No, He was an okay player... that's it.
  • NonCreativeNickname
    NonCreativeNickname Members Posts: 192
    edited May 2010
    I co-sign everyone that said no. The hall of fame is for PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD, not for getting murked. and the way he went out was an epic fail. "it's me its ? pat tillman." blaaaaat.
  • damon03
    damon03 Members Posts: 493
    edited May 2010
    Reggie80 wrote: »

I agree it was a ? ass war. But when he decided to join he thought the US was going after Osama and other responsible for 9/11. The man had character. Money wasn't ? to him.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    matt- wrote: »

He really didnt derserve that to be honest. Even his pops said Tillman wouldnt have wanted to be voted in when he knew he didnt derserve it. He had a good college career but he was no college HOF'er.

But No he shouldnt be voted in because he was a good person. There are a lot of players in the NFL that are good people. They gonna vote them in too?
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    I co-sign everyone that said no. The hall of fame is for PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD, not for getting murked. and the way he went out was an epic fail. "it's me its ? pat tillman." blaaaaat.

the way he went out is irrelevant
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    nah. i think he's been honored enough for his deeds
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    as it stands now, the Pro Football HOF does not take into account off the field behavior when they vote people in. So really, Tillman doesn't have much of a shot. But if the HOF DOES ever start to account for off the field behavior when keeping guys out of the HOF, they must also consider that behavior when deciding who gets in.
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    What about other marginal players who give to charities or donate time to help those less fortunate? Do they deserve to get in the HOF? Exactly. You'll be opening a Pandora's box
  • john2009
    john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    matt- wrote: »

well if his numbers are good to enter da pro hall of fame...let him enter.......

but if he enters based on sympathy votes...? it...

lots of guys do good deeds...give to charity and ? and have NOT entered....
  • Darius
    edited May 2010
    yeah, it is almost a disgrace to group Tillman with the likes of Michael Irvin and OJ Simpson