If you had the chance to be the poster boy of a sport which would it be?

KplusK
KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
I mean of all these sports we have alot of stars..which one do you think you would most benefit from and also be able to contribute also.

Comments

• prada_g24
    prada_g24 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    baskeball. its a global sport tat is still growing. when youre the face of the nba youre damn near the most recognizeable(sp) person on the planet(jordan, magic, lebron, kobe, bird, shaq)
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    personal- boxing. not nearly as popular as it was, but it'd be nice to be announced as the heavyweight champion of the world

financial- basketball- MJ worldwide known. i believe kobe has the number 1 selling jersey in the world. lebrons will probably have it on lock for the next 10 years
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    prada_g24 wrote: »
    Soccer/Footballl. its a global sport that is still growing. when youre the face of the Soccer youre damn near the most recognizeable(sp) person on the planet

*fixed*
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    basketball because its my favorite sport, regardless i'll be filthy rich so ill just go where my heart is at
  • prada_g24
    edited May 2010
    *fixed*

true but in the US other than beckham and ronaldino what soccer player do we know? i mean it is the biggest sport in the world but in basketball its more of an individual sport whereas soccer its teams that get the glory(just like in american football) imo
  • KplusK
    edited May 2010
    true but in the US other than beckham and ronaldino what soccer player do we know? i mean it is the biggest sport in the world but in basketball its more of an individual sport whereas soccer its teams that get the glory(just like in american football) imo

? ok i hear you but them plus adu at the age of 15 if im rite was all over the world and they get it really early where as you have to wait till you like 19 20 to become real famous from the other sports.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited May 2010

the world is bigger then the US bro and the QBs get almost all the love from casual american football fans
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Basketball, Soccer is the biggest in the world but in the US basketball stars are the highest up. Football you have your stars but they dont get the endorsments and level of recognition that basketball does. I'm out for as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time.
  • prada_g24
    edited May 2010
    the world is bigger then the US bro and the QBs get almost all the love from casual american football fans

i know the world is bigger than the US i already stated that soccer is the worlds biggest sport. but if u ask a chinese man about kobe or or beckham who do you think he knows?

and some QB's not all and its only a select few. you cant say marino and steve young were global icons. football is an american sport so they are limited in their exposure. if were talkin about global branding and recognition then im chossing basketball
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    man oh man imagine all the hoes I'd be ? if I was a soccer star...but I gotta go basketball, soccer players reign on top is shorter than leprechauns
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Football, it would be my dream to get on the cover of Madden.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited May 2010
    i know the world is bigger than the US i already stated that soccer is the worlds biggest sport. but if u ask a chinese man about kobe or or beckham who do you think he knows?

and some QB's not all and its only a select few. you cant say marino and steve young were global icons. football is an american sport so they are limited in their exposure. if were talkin about global branding and recognition then im chossing basketball

I think they would recognize them both but if you go to around Africa yes the entire continent and Europe the love for Football players would trump any NBA player you can use China as an exaple of the love being equal if not greater for Basketball because they have basically accepted it as there primary sport as of late but Drogba and Ronaldinio as ? superstars and ? on Kobe and Bron. As far as the faces of the NFL are concerned QBs get most of the love and most of the hate but at the end of the day theyre faces are in the news papers and and post game press conferences on ESPN
  • KplusK
    edited May 2010

you admitted soccer is the most global sport so why go ask china i would wanna ? with soccer to be internationally known but basketball cause you can be just as known but just missing a few countries. I think football is only just reaching out thats why they trying to have preseason game over seas know cause they tryna expand but its still havent caught on like that yet.
  • KplusK
    edited June 2010
    allied wrote: »
    Football, it would be my dream to get on the cover of Madden.

dammm didnt hear bout the madden curse better hope its at the end of your career...lol
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    boxing - mayweather is one of the top guys and will make almost $100 million this year and he is only going to fight twice...i'll be the face of boxing
  • john2009
    john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    KplusK wrote: »
    dammm didnt hear bout the madden curse better hope its at the end of your career...lol

lol...i was about to type dis....
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    basketball or soccer. i voted soccer because it is a global game.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    The face of any sport???

Financially - Baseball, them ? 's get GUAP...I hate baseball, but even the scrubs get like 5 year 125 mill contracts...and them ? 's careers be like 25 years long.

My favorite sport is Football...I'd love to play it, be a wide receiver...but the average football players career is short as ? ...and apparently if I was into basketball, I'd be stupid with my money, I think it's in their contracts lmao
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    baskeball. its a global sport tat is still growing. when youre the face of the nba youre damn near the most recognizeable(sp) person on the planet(jordan, magic, lebron, kobe, bird, shaq)

You've obviously never left the country.

Easily soccer. Messi and Drogba are more widely known than ANY NBA star. Soccer is the world's sport.
  • prada_g24
    edited June 2010
    You've obviously never left the country.

Easily soccer. Messi and Drogba are more widely known than ANY NBA star. Soccer is the world's sport.

i have been to europe and the west indies so i know how big of an impact and how big a game is soccer is, i've already admited that. in terms of finanical gain and endorsements basketball is killing the game right now.

money isnt the end all be all of being a face of a league but it damn sure helps.

Top 20 highest paid athletes in 2009

1. Tiger Woods, golf - $110 million
    2. Kobe Bryant, basketball - $45 million
    2. Michael Jordan, basketball - $45 million
    2. Kimi Raikkonen, NASCAR- $45 million
    5. David Beckham, soccer/football - $42 million
    6. Lebron James, basketball - $40 million
    6. Phil Mickelson, golf - $40 million
    6. Manny Pacquiao, boxing - $40 million
    9. Valentino Rossi, motorcycling - $35 million
    10. Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR - $34 million
    11. Roger Federer, tennis - $33 million
    11. Shaquille O'Neal, basketball - $33 million
    13. Oscar de la Hoya, boxing - $32 million
    13. Lewis Hamilton, NASCAR - $32 million
    13. Alex Rodriguez, baseball - $32 million
    16. Vijay Singh, golf - $31 million
    17. Kevin Garnett, basketball - $30 million
    17. Jeff Gordon, NASCAR - $30 million
    17. Derek Jeter, baseball - $30 million
    17. Ronaldinho, soccer/football - $30 million
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Track because that's my favorite sport or Tennis for the $$.
  • KplusK
    edited June 2010
    Track because that's my favorite sport or Tennis for the $$.

do track stars get that much pub though tennis i can see...and actually i was thinking bout golf cause its also world wide