If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma this weekend.......

Options
ya boi g
ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
They should be in the National Championship game, not Alabama.......

Alabama wont win the conference and I don't even see how they can keep their spot in the rankings after being idle this weekend when 1 loss teams like Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech will be playing for Conference Championship games.

Think about this:

• Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

• Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

• Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

• Conference titles: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/27/bcs-sec-voters-rematch/index.html#ixzz1f2ddn2Ug

And this:
Case study in BCS inconsistency: In 2007 Georgia was ranked No. 4 in the next-to-last BCS standings. The teams ranked first and second — Missouri and West Virginia — lost on the regular season’s final weekend. Georgia didn’t play. It finished atop the SEC East but was shaded by Tennessee on a tiebreaker. LSU, which had lost its final regular-season game to Arkansas, beat the Vols for the SEC title, and the Tigers got to play for the BCS title.

LSU moved from No. 7 to No. 2. Georgia didn’t play a game and slid to No. 5. Why? Because LSU coach Les Miles kept making the point that his team had “won its conference” and because the many talking heads on ESPN took up the cry. (As we know, what’s said on ESPN has an outsize effect on college football, the only sport in which opinions matter.)

Some of the same voices who’d lobbied for an Ohio State-Michigan rematch in the 2006 BCS title game dismissed Georgia a year later because It Hadn’t Won Its Conference. Never mind that winning your conference isn’t a criterion for BCS title inclusion. Never mind that Michigan hadn’t won the Big Ten the year before. This just seemed like the thing to say at that moment in time, and by golly those ESPN chatterers kept saying it until it became reality.

Georgia wasn’t passed just by LSU but also by Oklahoma and Virginia Tech; see, the Sooners and Hokies had won their conferences. After that season, the BCS considered making a conference title a prerequisite for a berth in the BCS title game but decided against it, which is a good thing if you’re Alabama but another pie in the face if you’re a fan of consistent thought.

If you’re a BCS hater — and who isn’t? — you have to root for Georgia to beat LSU and render this ongoing farce even more farcical. Picture the incongruity: The Bulldogs hoist the SEC championship trophy on Saturday night and trot off to the Sugar Bowl to play this year’s version of Hawaii, and 24 hours later not one but two SEC non-champions get invited to the game that’s supposed to reveal the nation’s best team.

And now you’re asking: Don’t LSU and Alabama look like the nation’s top two teams? LSU has been the absolute best team from start to finish, but the Tigers still have a game to play. The Tide lost its biggest game on its home field and has beaten two teams ranked in the BCS Top 25. If Oklahoma State, which is ranked No. 3 to Alabama’s No. 2, beats Oklahoma on Saturday, the Cowboys will have beaten five Top 25 teams and will be the Big 12 champ. Should Alabama get that nod just because it plays in the almighty SEC and is, you know, Alabama?

Ive been saying for weeks that Alabama wont play for the National Championship because they wont/didn't win the conference. But the more and more I hear it on ESPN, the more I start to believe they may talk that ? into reality.

Like I said, Oklahoma State should play for the National Championship if they win this weekend.

What yall think?

Comments

• htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hypocrisy at it's finest
  • Ier30
    Ier30 Members Posts: 311
    edited November 2011
    Options
    them ? lost to iowa state bruh iowa ? state foh
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    you don't have to win yo conference to play for the bcs title

just ask greenwood about 2003
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ier30 wrote: »
    them ? lost to iowa state bruh iowa ? state foh

Ok and........

Oklahoma State also had a tougher schedule that Alabama. And they will have just as many wins if they win this weekend over another top ranked team.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    you don't have to win yo conference to play for the bcs title

just ask greenwood about 2003

There are no rules in the BCS that says you have to win your conference, but at least they played for there conference championship. I dont see how an idle team can not be jumped by other one loss teams playing for the conference their championship.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    There are no rules in the BCS that says you have to win your conference, but at least they played for there conference championship. I dont see how an idle team can not be jumped by other one loss teams playing for the conference their championship.

don't blame bama if they get the rematch

blame the system
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    don't blame bama if they get the rematch

blame the system

Not gonna blame Bama..... But I still think Bama will get jumped being idle this week if both Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State win, no matter how much ESPN try to talk it up. If they keep their spot im gonna be ? .
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Cuz Bama is better than OK State and SEC > Big 12.

Period.

And don't even discuss V Tech.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Oklahoma State also had a tougher schedule that Alabama. And they will have just as many wins if they win this weekend over another top ranked team.

? no. Bama beat Penn St., Arkansas, Florida, Auburn all ranked and lost in a pickem team to the number 1 team in the country. OK St lost to Iowa St.....which is a huge negative
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Cuz Bama is better than OK State and SEC > Big 12.

Period.

And don't even discuss V Tech.

Tell me why Bama is better, their schedule outside of Penn State and LSU is gravy. Every SEC head knows Ark is overrated, so dont bring them up. They have been overrated the last 3 years.

And Virginia Tech didnt impress me the few times I watched them but they still have only lost 1 game. And if they beat Clemson this weekend they will be ACC Champions.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    ? no. Bama beat Penn St., Arkansas, Florida, Auburn all ranked and lost in a pickem team to the number 1 team in the country. OK St lost to Iowa St.....which is a huge negative

Auburn got blew out by Georgia 45-7. Auburn is sorry this year. So is Florida...... And Arkansas stay overrated. Only team they beat was South Carolina

You talking to an SEC head homie. You gotta come better than that
  • coop9889
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Tell me why Bama is better, their schedule outside of Penn State and LSU is gravy. Every SEC head knows Ark is overrated, so dont bring them up. They have been overrated the last 3 years.

And Virginia Tech didnt impress me the few times I watched them but they still have only lost 1 game. And if they beat Clemson this weekend they will be ACC Champions.

To say their strength of schedule is weak is ridiculous. That would allude to you believing SEC is weak. And Bama has blown out every team save LSU.

And you can't use the logic of "VTech has only lost 1 game"... ? so has Bama?

But to answer your question, it's from watching them play. I'm not bout to pull out statistics and all that, though I could, but I've seen maybe 3-4 games of OK St and about 6-7 of Bama this year, and to me it's not even close.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Auburn got blew out by Georgia 45-7. Auburn is sorry this year. So is Florida...... And Arkansas stay overrated. Only team they beat was South Carolina

You talking to an SEC head homie. You gotta come better than that

dude at the time Bama beat them they were ranked.. so its gonna help them in the number... its easy to go back after the fact.The Big 12 conference isnt better than the SEC... and at the end of the day OK ST lost to Iowa St. there is not coming back from that... Baylor also ? up a potential win vs Oklahoma.... and that win isnt a gimme either.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    To say their strength of schedule is weak is ridiculous. That would allude to you believing SEC is weak. And Bama has blown out every team save LSU.

And you can't use the logic of "VTech has only lost 1 game"... ? so has Bama?

But to answer your question, it's from watching them play. I'm not bout to pull out statistics and all that, though I could, but I've seen maybe 3-4 games of OK St and about 6-7 of Bama this year, and to me it's not even close.

The SEC is weak this year. And im a Georgia fan. The SEC East is hella down with only 2 good teams, and the West has only 3. Im an SEC head bruh its nothing you can tell me about the SEC....

? been in here hollering about Georgia schedule is weak and dont even realize Bama has played 5/6 of the same teams Georgia has played but Georgia's schedule is soft. Plus Bama played Kent State, North Texas and Georgia Southern....

Plus its not about the "eye test". Its about wins and losses and how the system is set up.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    dude at the time Bama beat them they were ranked.. so its gonna help them in the number... its easy to go back after the fact.The Big 12 conference isnt better than the SEC... and at the end of the day OK ST lost to Iowa St. there is not coming back from that... Baylor also ? up a potential win vs Oklahoma.... and that win isnt a gimme either.

Ok well lets talk about ranked teams when each team played a ranked team.... Posted this on the first page....

• Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

• Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

• Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

And I never said the Oklahoma game is a gimmie, I told folks in the CS weeks ago when they were still undefeated that Oklahoma would knock Oklahoma State off. Still believe they will. But the whole point I was making that if they win this weekend they should be ahead of Bama, who will be idle.
  • coop9889
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The SEC is weak this year. And im a Georgia fan. The SEC East is hella down with only 2 good teams, and the West has only 3. Im an SEC head bruh its nothing you can tell me about the SEC....

? been in here hollering about Georgia schedule is weak and dont even realize Bama has played 5/6 of the same teams Georgia has played but Georgia's schedule is soft. Plus Bama played Kent State, North Texas and Georgia Southern....

Plus its not about the "eye test". Its about wins and losses and how the system is set up.

Ok let's say the SEC only has 5 good teams. That's still better than Big 12. Big 12 is having an even worse down year.

And it IS about the eye test when you judge what teams are better. Watching the game and seein how the teams perform is definitely a factor, u kidding me?

Now when judging who plays in what bowl etc... you're right that's when wins/losses/schedules come into play. And that's exactly why Bama will go instead of OK St. Cuz of that loss to Iowa State.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ok let's say the SEC only has 5 good teams. That's still better than Big 12. Big 12 is having an even worse down year.

And it IS about the eye test when you judge what teams are better. Watching the game and seein how the teams perform is definitely a factor, u kidding me?

Now when judging who plays in what bowl etc... you're right that's when wins/losses/schedules come into play. And that's exactly why Bama will go instead of OK St. Cuz of that loss to Iowa State.

Even in a down year I say the SEC is still better than just about every conference, except for maybe the Pac 12. Hell we went 3-1 against the ACC this weekend. Vandy who is a bottom dweller killed Wake Forest. Would have been 4-0 if Florida could have gotten its O going....

But anyway, the bolded is all im saying. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State, but they have still beat some decent teams. More than Bama you can argue. Plus they are still ranked high with a game to play, against ranked Oklahoma.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma this weekend.......

But...they wont
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    But...they wont

Ive said for weeks, even before they lost to Iowa State that I thought Oklahoma would beat Okla State.......

But hey its not like they don't have a chance. Oklahoma struggled against Iowa State. I think they kicked like 3/4 field goals.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bama should be the matchup. Now with that said the fact of the matter is this. The Big XII teams hold the advantage in the computers. Most of them have at least 10 of those teams ranked in the Top 15 as far as SOS (Kansas is #1). Ok St was #2 in the computers until this week when they were idle. AGAIN, if they win this week that idle week will be cancelled out and they will immediately move back into #2 in ALL of the computers. They would only need ONE-QUARTER...ONE-QUARTER of the human vote to jump them ahead of Bama. Thats only 41 votes! They have already gained ground in the human vote even being idle this week. The posturing has already begun. All Bama fans including myself should be rooting for OU this Saturday.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bama should be the matchup. Now with that said the fact of the matter is this. The Big XII teams hold the advantage in the computers. Most of them have at least 10 of those teams ranked in the Top 15 as far as SOS (Kansas is #1). Ok St was #2 in the computers until this week when they were idle. AGAIN, if they win this week that idle week will be cancelled out and they will immediately move back into #2 in ALL of the computers. They would only need ONE-QUARTER...ONE-QUARTER of the human vote to jump them ahead of Bama. Thats only 41 votes! They have already gained ground in the human vote even being idle this week. The posturing has already begun. All Bama fans including myself should be rooting for OU this Saturday.

Good post.......

I had not even looked at the standings and the votes, but I knew Okla State was still number 3 despite the Iowa State loss. And I figured they would jump Bama with a win this weekend.

As far as Virginia Tech(Didnt include Stanford since they wont be playing this weekend), with a win they should jump Stanford, but wasnt sure they would also jump Bama. Thats why I really didnt include them.

If your a Bama fan why do you have an LSU avi? Dont tell me you bet that you would rock an LSU avi the rest of the season if LSU won...
  • smittysmith
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Good post.......

I had not even looked at the standings and the votes, but I knew Okla State was still number 3 despite the Iowa State loss. And I figured they would jump Bama with a win this weekend.

As far as Virginia Tech(Didnt include Stanford since they wont be playing this weekend), with a win they should jump Stanford, but wasnt sure they would also jump Bama. Thats why I really didnt include them.

If your a Bama fan why do you have an LSU avi? Dont tell me you bet that you would rock an LSU avi the rest of the season if LSU won...

Imma LSU fan, I just want that ass again! (NH)

Don't wanna leave no doubts about who the best in the land is.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Imma LSU fan, I just want that ass again! (NH)

Don't wanna leave no doubts about who the best in the land is.

LSU is an overall better team than Bama if you ask me. But in all honesty that game could have went either way, and I don't like your chances of beating Nick Saban twice in the same year. They moved the ball pretty good on yall but couldn't get in the end zone. As sweet as an all SEC game would be I don't want to see that game again.
  • smittysmith
    edited November 2011
    Options
    LSU is an overall better team than Bama if you ask me. But in all honesty that game could have went either way, and I don't like your chances of beating Nick Saban twice in the same year. They moved the ball pretty good on yall but couldn't get in the end zone. As sweet as an all SEC game would be I don't want to see that game again.

Thats my gripe though. Yes, Bama missed opportunities but thats due to their weaknesses as a team. Our D still held them out of the redzone outside of one time and we held TR under 100 yrds. Is Bama the only team that can improve from their mistakes and not us? Did we not also have missed opportunities with penalties that stalled promising drives? (We were moving the ball quite well when JJ came in)

Our ST's are better in spades and due to our depth and personnel were able to be much more multi-dimensional on offense. All this will come to light if we indeed play again.
  • ya boi g
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thats my gripe though. Yes, Bama missed opportunities but thats due to their weaknesses as a team. Our D still held them out of the redzone outside of one time and we held TR under 100 yrds. Is Bama the only team that can improve from their mistakes and not us? Did we not also have missed opportunities with penalties that stalled promising drives? (We were moving the ball quite well when JJ came in)

Our ST's are better in spades and due to our depth and personnel were able to be much more multi-dimensional on offense. All this will come to light if we indeed play again.

Cant argue with that, and I see what you saying. But ? it, tell them Bama fans to wait until next year. Cause I know thats why you want to play them again, Bama fans be talking ? .... But I wouldn't give a damn if we only won by 3. We won.

And even though you could get better just like Bama could before the NC, I still wouldnt want to play Bama twice. Game might be 6-3 next time... Either way