ESPN held Bernie Fine tape for 8 years!?!?

Options
13»

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    One of the stranger aspects of that taped phone conversation between former ball boy Bobby Davis and accused molester Bernie Fine's wife, Laurie, is the apparent revelation that Davis had a sexual relationship with Laurie. He's not the only one—and there might be a sex tape to prove it, a media source tells us.
    Another source says that at least one media outlet has evidence that Laurie, now 53, had sex with players on many of Jim Boeheim's squads. This was happening as early as 1982the 80's, a third source says. "It was a rite of passage for some to be with Bernie's wife," one of the sources says. As for the sex tape, it apparently features Laurie and another player, and it's been shopped around for years.

If any of Laurie's conquests decide to go public, it would be very bad for the Fines—and it could very well mean the end of Boeheim's time at Syracuse. After all, this stuff would've happened on his watch.

Those of you who'd like to share details about Laurie Fine's relationships can reach out to us at tips@deadspin.com with "Laurie Fine" in the subject line. Anonymity guaranteed. Unless your name is Derrick Coleman.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lol I figured that ? was a freak man....thats just some ? a freak does

I'm pretty sure a lot of wives of coaches are ?

*looks at auburn and cam newton*
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Maybe these are reasons why ESPN hesitated to act:
    Media and communications

Marv Albert – sportscaster
    David Amber – reporter, ESPN
    Damon Amendolara – sportscaster
    Gary Apple – sports anchor, SNY
    Steve Bunin – sportscaster, ESPN
    Ed Coleman – sportscaster, WFAN NY
    ? Berman – sportscaster
    Matthew Berry – ESPN fantasy sports analyst
    Contessa Brewer – broadcast journalist, MSNBC
    Samantha Brown – TV host
    Joe Castiglione – sportscaster
    Michael Cole – WWE Raw commentator
    Bob Costas – sportscaster, NBC Sports and MLB Network
    Bob Dotson – journalist
    Ian Eagle – sportscaster
    Marty Glickman – sportscaster
    Ariel Helwani - MMA journalist
    Larry Hryb – Xbox Live Director of Programming
    Megyn Kelly – co-anchor of "America’s Newsroom," Fox News Channel
    Ted Koppel – broadcast journalist, "Nightline"
    Larry Kramer – President, CBS Interactive (former President of CBS Marketwatch.com)
    Steve Kroft – co-editor and news correspondent, "60 Minutes"
    Michael Kranish – journalist
    David Levy[disambiguation needed ] – president, Turner Entertainment Group
    Harold E. Martin – Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaperman, Montgomery, Alabama Advertiser
    Mike McAlary – Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
    Sean McDonough – sportscaster, ESPN
    Joe McNally – photographer
    Jim Naughtie – British journalist and radio presenter
    Bob Neumeier – sportscaster, NBC
    Donald Newhouse – president, Advance Publications
    S.I. Newhouse, Jr. – Chairman & CEO, Advance Publications/ Chairman, Conde Nast Publications
    Dave Pasch – sportscaster, ESPN
    Harry M. Rosenfeld – former editor, "Washington Post"
    Dave Ryan – sportscaster, ESPN
    Adam Schein – SNY, Sirius XM Satellite radio NFL
    Bob Shannon – radio DJ/Announcer, CBS-FM New York
    Arun Shourie – former editor, The Indian Express
    Anish Shroff- ESPNews Anchor
    Fred Silverman – former President, NBC
    Lakshmi Singh – newscaster, journalist, NPR
    Jayson Stark – journalist, sportscaster, ESPN
    ? Stockton – sportscaster
    John Sykes – former Chairman and CEO, Infinity Broadcasting (former president of VH1)
    Mike Tirico – sportscaster, ABC/ESPN
    Craig Carton – Sports talk show host

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Syracuse_University_people
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ESPN, and I'm not even talking about the people in front of the cameras, is stacked with Syracuse alumni.

One of the radio hosts here mentioned today about asking one of the high ups at ESPN a hard ball question about allegations of them sweeping things under the rug. He said dude's response was a chuckle and (I'm paraphrasing here) "do you want me to answer that, or do you want me to keep my job."

-it was Mike Missanelli on 97.5, tru_m.a.c., if you happen to listen to that station
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    o-m-g

? ......*sigh*

?

first you claimed that the cops had the video....then I just proved that the cops never had the video and you're asking what this has to do with espn....wtf

Its an audio tape, not a video. The accuser gave the tape to the police. Again its not ESPN's job to give a tape they have no corroborating evidence to support to the cops. They had no proof that the chic on the tape was Laurie Fine. Also ESPN is not the only media outlet that declined to publish the tapes, Bobby Davis the accuser also went to the the POST-STANDARD WITH THE TAPE. They couldnt verify it either. There simply was no corroborating evidence.

ONCE AGAIN THE ACCUSERS GAVE POLICE THE TAPE.

When Bobby Davis came to us in the fall of 2002, we asked if he had gone to Syracuse police. He said he had, but they paid little attention, saying the case was too old to prosecute.

http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/2011/11/why_the_post-standard_didnt_gi.html

Had local law enforcement taken Davis’ claim seriously and kept in touch, he most likely would’ve given them a copy, too. He could have done so at any time. Police could have expanded their investigation at any time. Police could have arranged to record conversations, obtain a wiretap, subpoena witnesses. They did none of it.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I was listening to ESPN Radio on satellite last night and the excuse they gave for not doing or saying anything was a ? excuse.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    does the poll state "go public" or hand over evidence??? you answer that one

don't worry I'll wait

Again I dont know why you cant seem to understand this....but ESPN, the POST-Standard etc had no corroborating evidence to verify that it was LAURIE FINE on the tape. Going to the cops with that tape is the same thing as going public. Take the names out of it, some dude hands your local news paper an audio tape of a discussion in which your accused of sexually assaulting kids, now with no authentication of any form how in the world are they going to go to the cops with that?
  • Darius
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ad2b98420bdd865fbcc223afd5b48c91_espncoverup.jpg

the newspaper confirmed the voice back in 2003. ESPN could have done the same. they chose not to even try
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited December 2011
    Options
    p-tavern wrote: »
    ESPN, and I'm not even talking about the people in front of the cameras, is stacked with Syracuse alumni.

One of the radio hosts here mentioned today about asking one of the high ups at ESPN a hard ball question about allegations of them sweeping things under the rug. He said dude's response was a chuckle and (I'm paraphrasing here) "do you want me to answer that, or do you want me to keep my job."

-it was Mike Missanelli on 97.5, tru_m.a.c., if you happen to listen to that station

I have but I actually still get WFAN out here in philly on my AM dial so I usually just listen to that lol
    matt- wrote: »

the newspaper confirmed the voice back in 2003. ESPN could have done the same. they chose not to even try

? don't listen b....reading comprehension ain't their strong suit
  • ya boi g
    edited December 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

SMH... ESPN aint ? ....

I heard the worst excuse ever last night on ESPN radio.

Dis dude said that after receiving the tape ESPN did their homework and couldn't confirm the voice on the tape nor could they find any witnesses.

Then they went on to say the Syracuse newspaper talked to the police and talked to Mrs Fine, but that they didn't because they couldn't find any evidence.... So what ? homework or investigative reporting did you do? The first thing you should have done was talk to the wife at least, then try to confirm if the tape was real. And what kind of damn witnesses are you looking for in a child molestation case? There is hardly ever witnesses in a damn child molestation case. Its always one persons word vs the other. It all sounded like some bull. Then the dude read off the newspapers excuse to why they didn't report it(which was ? ), and tried to use it as an explanation of why ESPN didn't do anything.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    This....

And let's not forget ESPN's history of running with allegations.

1. Barry Bonds... ESPN pursued the BALCO angle for years. Their 'coverage' on the story led to Federal investigations of Bonds, Marion Jones and other BLACK athletes which culminated in the conviction of Jones and Bonds being in court for years.

2. Michael Vick... When the dogfighting story broke, ESPN followed it like rabid dogs (no pun intended). They kept digging and digging until a local misdemeanor offense became a huge Federal case. They stopped a small time dog fighting operation which landed Vick in Leavenworth for 2 years.

3. Kobe Bryant... ESPN was off the meter with the Vail, CO ? case... 24/7 coverage. Roger Cossack on speed dial and what felt like 100's of 'experts' chiming in on what price Kobe would pay. They never fully mentioned that ole girl was a hoe from the door. The whole multiple ? stains in her ? panties was never really vetted out on their airwaves. The result? Kobe lost his endorsement with Adidas (good those were the WOAT kicks), Coke and Nutella, and was viewed as public enemy #1 by all whites because he had sex with some ugly White chick.

4. Ben Rothelsberger... Big Ben has been accused at least twice for allegedly ? women. ESPN was very laid back in their coverage of the story and basically let it die on the vine. ESPN did not do the huge expose piece on Ben and his history of ? or forcing women to have sex with him. They simply covered it as they would if the dude threw 2 TD's in a game against the Ravens.

So yeah. ESPN knew exactly what they were doing. If Bernie Fine were, Rod Strickland, Jeff Capel, Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, etc... they would have been all over this story from the jump. you would have had wall to wall coverage of the 'Scandal' at ____ University with the questions of who knew what and when they knew it.

you're talking about all things that had already been in criminal court proceedings...that's far different from accusations from you hear from someone and literally every witness the abused person gave has said they were lying....Vick was a federal case before ESPN ran the story...same with Barry Bonds and Kobe Bryant...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    SMH... ESPN aint ? ....

I heard the worst excuse ever last night on ESPN radio.

Dis dude said that after receiving the tape ESPN did their homework and couldn't confirm the voice on the tape nor could they find any witnesses.

Then they went on to say the Syracuse newspaper talked to the police and talked to Mrs Fine, but that they didn't because they couldn't find any evidence.... So what ? homework or investigative reporting did you do? The first thing you should have done was talk to the wife at least, then try to confirm if the tape was real. And what kind of damn witnesses are you looking for in a child molestation case? There is hardly ever witnesses in a damn child molestation case. Its always one persons word vs the other. It all sounded like some bull. Then the dude read off the newspapers excuse to why they didn't report it(which was ? ), and tried to use it as an explanation of why ESPN didn't do anything.

ESPN are not the police...there's nothing they could have done to force Laura Fine to talk to them, give them a statement or anything regarding this case...they're journalists...especially with the only witnesses given by the abused say "No, the person making the accusations are lying"...If you accuse someone of something and give them a witness and that witness says you're lying...what the hell do you expect them to do? It's not like the Penn Sate case where nobody just said nothing at all
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited December 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ESPN are not the police...there's nothing they could have done to force Laura Fine to talk to them, give them a statement or anything regarding this case...they're journalists...especially with the only witnesses given by the abused say "No, the person making the accusations are lying"...If you accuse someone of something and give them a witness and that witness says you're lying...what the hell do you expect them to do? It's not like the Penn Sate case where nobody just said nothing at all

*facepalm* dude its the exact same thing

I swear y'all cats have the worse reading comprehension in the history of histories history

a man got fired because he "did not do enough"....please show me how and when espn "did enough"

now wait before you answer, re read all the info dropped in this thread...make sure you fully understand the situation (i.e 2002 to the present)
  • ya boi g
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bruh they weren't even being journalist, they didnt even try to talk to the lady. How do you think reporters even get info? By talking to or attempting to talk to people. If they had tried and she declined at least they can say they tried. From what I read she talked to the paper, why wouldn't she talk to ESPN? Hell ESPN could have tried to verify the tape, they didnt even do that. All these dudes at ESPN from these broadcasting and journalism schools and no one tried to do even a half ass job?
  • Darius
    edited December 2011
    Options

the newspaper was able to speak directly to the wife and she confirmed to them that it was her voice. ESPN did not contact the wife, or even attempt to until recently. hell they could have contacted the newspaper. their word would have been good enough
  • @BaileysBlitz
    @BaileysBlitz Members Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Options
    5 Questions regarding this issue

1. Why didn't Davis turn the tapes over to the police in 2002, or 2003 when he first came forward?
    2. How does Davis travel all over with the team when his mom admits that he doesn't even fly?
    3. Why didn't ESPN turn the tapes over to the authorities in 2002?
    4. Why does a 27 year old continue to let another man molest him?
    5. Why did Davis' step-brother, who was also allegedly molested by Fine, introduce Fine to his younger step-brother Davis?