The Official ATP/WTA Tennis Thread

toheeb27
toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Australian Open start today. Should be fun. Yo Spliff, who are u rolling with this year.

Shout Out to FEDERER for organizing "Hit for Haiti" to raise money for the folks in Haiti. It was a last minute thing and they were able to raise over 200,000 dollars.

U can watch almost EVERY tennis match on ESPN 360.

Comments

• toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    UPSET ALERT

Sharapova is down a set to Maria Kirilenko. This girl needs a good showing in this tournament or she is well on her track to becoming the next Kornikova. Still a fan though.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    WOW, the 2008 Australian Open champ is bounced in the 1st round of the 2010 edition. Props to Kirilenko, she took it too Sharapova all match. She deserved this. Sharapova did not play that bad, she just came up against a girl that wanted it more.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    Poor Melanie Oudin, the girl cannot catch a break since her amazing run in the US Open. Out in the 1st round again. The girl is like 1-6 since the US open.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    Donald Young vs. Hewitt, some good stuff right here. Donald Young was hyped big time a few years ago as the next great BLACK male tennis player. He was winning Junior tournaments and the sky was the limit, all of a sudden, his play regressed. He has been playing better as of late and is still only 20 years old. There might still be something there.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    ? , Cilis's forehand accuracy is amazing. The kid looks like he has the goods to be a contender.

I just took another glance to the folks remaining, boy, the Men side has a lot of talented players. The days of writing in a Nadal - Federer final is over.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    What a comeback by Serena. Down a set and 4-0 in the 2nd set. She stepped it up and won 4-6, 7-6, 6-2.
  • Piff
    Piff Members Posts: 84
    edited January 2010
    Tsonga. I had him as a sleeper coming into this event, and he's proving me right. He played a fantastic fourth set after almost not winning a single point in the third. Djokovic started dry heaving on the sidelines, I'm not sure what was his deal, but I'm happy Tsonga advanced to the semis; arguably the best forehand on the mans side. Davydenko all but had Federer beat until he bagged it in early. 5-18 on break chances? SMH @ that. I turned from the Serena Will match only to find out that she came back. Azarenka is always a time bomb ready to implode and self destruct, so in a sense, it's no surprise the comeback came at her expense.

There's been some quality tennis played, as is always the case for majors in tennis. It's almost like March Madness the quality of the matches will always be there regardless. I'm rooting for Tsonga over Federer as well as Cilic over Murray. I'm may bet money on the Tsonga vs Federer match because of Federer is the obvious favorite to take the match, but I know Tsonga can win this one. Cilic? Not so sure about. I haven't seen him play enough, and against Roddick, his first serve % was terrible. Not betting on that one.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    Well said Piff.

Cilic's game is accuracy. He can put that ball at exact spots on the court. He is also among the new breed of Big men who move very very well.

Azarenka did not implode, Serena turned it up to 11. She was freaking awesome in the final 1 and half sets.
  • Piff
    Piff Members Posts: 84
    edited January 2010
    Wow, Azarenka didn't start crying and throwing her racket when she saw Serena make a late surge? I'm seriously shocked. I'm not saying you're lying or anything because again, I didn't watch the match in its entirety. About Cilic, he does play defense extremely well. In fact, after the match Roddick talked about how regardless of who Cilic ends up playing, he's going to be a tough out because of the way he stays behind the baseline, and make great shots, and forces the opponent into bad shots. I just don't think he has enough firepower to combat Murray right now, and if he serves under 50 % on his first serve as he did with Roddick a good portion of the match, he'll be lucky to even win a set. With all that said, I am pulling for him :D.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    Just did some reading, looks like Federer is not the biggest Murray fan. From the articles i could find, he has been taking shots at Muarry since the bookmakers made Muarry the fav to win last year's Assuie open. He laughed off the fact Murray was favored and said Murray has never won a Major yet.

And it does not help that Murray has a winning record over Federer and unlike Nadal, Murray does not go out of his way to praise Federer. He has also critized Murray's defensive style of playing.

And even in his post match interview after beating Tsonga today, the dude still had subtle shots at Murray. Should be a fun Match-up. Federer in Four is my prediction.
  • toheeb27
    edited January 2010
    Federer once again. What more can i say. GREATEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited January 2010
    Federer abused that kid. Murray played scared.
  • toheeb27
    edited May 2010
    French Open is on. Already had our share of upsets. Hopefully an American can make it far in this tournament. We already had a Roddick scare and Querrey is out. I guess in ISNER we trust......?

U can watch almost EVERY tennis match on ESPN 360.
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    *misses del potro* nh
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    As much as I like Murray he hasn't got a chance in hell of winning the French Open, especially with his knee the way it is

Nadal to walk it (probably). See you all at Wimbledon
  • toheeb27
    edited June 2010
    Fun 1st round of Wimbledon already with Federer and Davydenko nearly getting bounced. Both had to go to the 5th sets. Federer is at one point down 3-5 in the 4th set. Falla had him at the ropes, and then proceeded to choke big time.

If this are signs of things to come, we are in for a great tournament.

For u guys who like your female tennis players loud, tomorrow Serena(who is loud) faces Larcher Brito. Larcher de Brito puts Shrapova to shame when it comes to grunting. But careful guys with your thoughts, she is only 17, not legal yet.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    I dont really follow Tennis at all, but I know 1 day when I was tryna watch "Espn First Take" I caught a Federer vs Nadal game, that ? was good as hell

Wimbledon >>>> World Cup
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2010
    oh yea, and NH @ toheebs avi

lmao
  • toheeb27
    edited June 2010
    oh yea, and NH @ toheebs avi

lmao

Checked the score this morning. U barely beat me. Just needed 1 more run. Its all good though, i pay my bets unlike Spliff (shots fired)
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2010
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    Checked the score this morning. U barely beat me. Just needed 1 more run. Its all good though, i pay my bets unlike Spliff (shots fired)

that was some ? , when I went to sleep, i was up 6-4-1 and all the games were over, then all of a sudden I check this mornin and you won the ERA?!
  • toheeb27
    edited June 2010
    102274300-1.jpg

Still would be nice to see Muarry make a run here
  • toheeb27
    edited June 2010
    Mahut vs. Isner, one word, WOW.
  • toheeb27
    edited June 2010