Student Loans...at what point do you quit? (girl in 97k worth of debt story)

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    young chad wrote: »
    This ? took a supercalifragelistic L...

100k for an INTERDISCIPLINARY degree...? didn't even get a bachelors...she got a make-shift degree where she combined different majors and made a specific program up tailored to her..and she did it in Religious and Women's studies...two things that the U.S. doesn't give a FLYING ? about...in a time where people are graduating from top schools with business and law degree's and not getting jobs, and you choose some ? like that! WOOOWWWW

Her mother, counselor, peers, and her...should all be slapped

The bolded got me over DYING. LOL.

But seriously though, I'm pretty sure she was aware of how much her education was costing during those 4 years. She just thought she'd be in the position to pay it off after graduating. Is it a ? up system? Yes. But did she know the risks? Yes.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    LOL @ Paying for college.

Scholarships FTW.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    smh

the only people I know who had that much debt are ? medical doctors

I really don't feel bad for her, she jumped into college with no plan, and just signed off on every loan she could get with out thinking about how she was going to pay for it.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    97k aint that bad for NYU its the fact that she got a ? degree to pay that 97k off
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    LMAO @ what she got her degree in.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    fiat_money wrote: »
    LOL @ Paying for college.

Scholarships FTW.

Hey, I pay for college. =~(*

I used to get scholarships when I first started, then they started changing ? and also factoring in your income/your parents' income--haven't gotten a scholarship since.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    at least these types of people aren't directly asking for Obama to save them anymore.
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    She should've went to a state funded school instead of NYU, but you can damn near major in anything and get a decent job.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    killap wrote: »
    97k aint that bad for NYU its the fact that she got a ? degree to pay that 97k off

No Disrespect to anyone who goes there but...I would NOT go to NYU. Its an overrated private university that charges Ivy league tuition.

Unless you got an MBA from Stern, a JD from NYU Law or a MFA from Tisch...$97,000 in debt from NYU is a horrible, horrendous decision.

For a lousy Bachelors Degree...you wouldve been better off goin to Rutgers.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Sad ? ... Who was her ? ' "guidance" counselor??? ? .
  • Maalik
    edited June 2010
    Kimi wrote: »
    The Military FTW:p she needs to join for 3 years so they can pay that ? off, she has a degree, so she could go in as an Officer.

But people dont think like that Kimi.

They get in a bad situation & wanna sing "woe is me" instead of logically thinking of a new plan as if crying is gonna change anything.

If you're not willing to do the "difficult" thing then.....most likely.....you'll never be successful in anything....ever. :p
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    someone failed that girl.

yeah her best option of diggin her way out is 6000 miles away
  • BlackRoses
    BlackRoses Members Posts: 407
    edited June 2010
    Damn! that's so messed up....most of those loans she probably didn't need. I have NO loans---->FTW:)
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    The Military FTW:p she needs to join for 3 years so they can pay that ? off, she has a degree, so she could go in as an Officer.

I doubt any branch will offer her a commission with that ? ass degree. And they wouldn't absorb all of that 97k
  • Hustlers Ambition$
    Hustlers Ambition$ Members Posts: 245
    edited June 2010
    Thats messed up but she should of known better. There is no excuse to rack up that much debt. You don't need guidance, you just need to read the contract and have common sense.
  • Maalik
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I feel you, people aren't willing to do whatever it takes. If I were her though, that's the route I would take. Or just doing Contracting overseas for a year, would enable her to pay off most of that debt. At this point she needs to be proactive, and see how to pull herself out of the hole she dug for herself.

Yo whats the contract on that sort of job? 4 years...8 years. How difficult is it to break into that?

Real rap...I would NOT mind being over there after graduating
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    grants and scholarships FTW :)
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Yup, she could take about 5 stacks a month and put it towards her student loans if she was contracting. I know plenty of people that do it, after about a year she will have most of it paid down.

true

but 1st she needs a stern talking to and a slap in the face.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    When you get a degree in what she got you're obviously saying that career aspiration is to become a TA or assistant professor at some small liberal arts college at best
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    junegemini wrote: »
    grants and scholarships FTW :)

Agreed!...............
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    They go into one year increments, but you can leave anytime you want. It's a great thing to do if you're trying to make a lot of money in a short amount of time. The average contractor starts off at 84k tax free.

my homegirl did it for about 6 months then came back, but she rarely sticks to anything. ? , i think it may have been four months.

it was weird. cuz one day she was like "hey everyone, i'm in dubai!" (i think thats where she was) we were like, WTF??

then a few months later she was like, "i'm back for a while!" i asked her how long would she be back and she just got real vague. that was like 3 months ago
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    blue virgo wrote: »
    Hey, I pay for college. =~(*

I used to get scholarships when I first started, then they started changing ? and also factoring in your income/your parents' income--haven't gotten a scholarship since.

stop lying...you couldn't keep that gpa up so they canceled you :(
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    I'm going right now for Business Administration and I should be done by the end of the year but this has be the most craziest if not dumbest ? I've ever read.100k in loans for bs major and can't pay it back? Main reason I don't ask for loans b/c I know one I'm not paying anybody back and two I know I can't afford it. If I decide to go back after I get this degree either I'm getting all grants & scholarships or I won't be continuing school no way will I ever rack up that type of debt.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010

I'm thinkin about OCS for either the Air Force or the navy. Sometimes they'll pay off ur undergrad loans and pay for u to go back to grad school.