Degrees That Get You Hired...

Options

Comments

• simplyspeaking
    simplyspeaking Confirm Email Posts: 2,195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So, besides getting a job, does anyone in here plan to own their own business someday ?
    I'm hoping to start my own line of computers or computer software company.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    #3 - Computer Science Degree

Computers are an indispensable part of the economy, and so are graduates who study computer science, which ranks as the third most valuable degree in today's job market.

Average Starting Salaries:
    Computer Science: $61,205

#5 - Engineering Degree

It might surprise you to learn that engineering degrees are ranked fifth in terms of employment - and not first - but don't start feeling sorry for engineers just yet. According to a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, eight of the top 10 best-paid majors are in engineering.

Average Starting Salaries:
    Computer Engineering: $60,879
    Interesting, I'm getting both of these along with Electrical Engineering.
  • FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have hood degrees in marketing, modeling management, and pharmacy.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    #4 - accounting/finance degree

finance and accounting graduates can expect their fortunes to improve as the economy improves. "historically, hiring on wall street has recovered before the rest of the economy," richard lipstein, managing director at boyden global executive search, told the philadelphia inquirer.

Average starting salaries:
    economics: $52,909
    finance: $49,607
    accounting: $47,982

chea!

chhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeea
  • sandyshimp
    sandyshimp Members Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Today computer is the only line where you get lot of opportunities to get hired.
  • sikander
    sikander Members Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Biomedical engineering degree is a promising job . The demand is only going to rise in coming years . Ans salary is close to 76,000 dollars .

edited August 2011
    Options
    I think computers aren't going anywhere and it is only growing as far as technology, tech support, etc will always be needed. Very few jobs are recession proof though. People just don't have the money they had and businesses can't pay everyone like they used to tryin to stay afloat. We have to keep goin wit college and get those degrees though. Motivation.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blue Virgo wrote: »
    lol and smh @ degrees in education not getting people hired.

And thats a ? shame too!
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I dropped out of school my senior year and I'm making 130k, no degree FTW
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished the first year of my BA (Hons) in International Business Management. I'm a middle-manager now and hoping this will keep me moving up as a manager and never looking back.
  • supYo
    supYo Members Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jessica alba in a ocean....i could shed a tear...deep ?

whatever u man....u got plan, u will get ur right degree

going hustlin in school without plan is like workin on streets without knowin where to go wurd

• Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mass Media Arts >
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Finance degree. Class of 2005.

Nice.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    turqiun wrote: »
    what about law degree, that's what I'm working on now.

Lawyers don't make no money no more. the pyramid to success has bottlenecked. You will only be chasing Ambulances.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finishing up my Accounting degree now. I'll be done in June. CPA next.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my MBA, taking accounting classes so I can sit for the CPA exam. Business and Accounting at the highest levels. Cha-Ching!!!
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My marketing degree ain't did ? for me lol maybe its because I'm in Texas though
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its not JUST the degree that gets you hired.. smh
  • traestar
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Its not JUST the degree that gets you hired.. smh

I know its a thread title/article title and all but this is a big misconception.

I think anyone in this thread would know it does take more than a degree to get hired.
    Especially when there's thousands upon thousands of resumes that recruiters go through rotation hourly.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are a few comments in here that lead me to say that

also i do mentoring with young people and believe me... they ask all the time "what degree should i get to get good job"
  • traestar
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    there are a few comments in here that lead me to say that

also i do mentoring with young people and believe me... they ask all the time "what degree should i get to get good job"

A Degree DOES NOT guarantee you a job, let alone a career. Do not think you are on to the promise land once you're done...you haven't even started yet
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of them do if you network with the right people.
  • traestar
    Options
    All of them do if you network with the right people.

All roads lead to the same path
  • KrazySpade
    KrazySpade Members Posts: 52
    Options
    I dont think theres any degrees that "get you hired" it really comes down to networking, and if you already have a foot in the door of a company.
    There is no company's really are willing to take a risk on a completely random person that just graduated college.
    i know various people that are recent graduates even with bachelors degrees in different majors that are still working minimum wage jobs.
    I myself am kinda in the same position where i just graduated with my bachelors last june and am still working at a regular job but i decided to take what learned and apply it to starting my own business. I enrolled back into school but now i am not looking to get a degree, now i am taking classes focused on just things that will teach me the basics for things i feel i will need to know to run my business more effectively (ex: small business law, taxes, marketing etc) I only need to know the basics because i will learn the rest with experience.