Question for all you audio experts out there

vageneral08
vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Let Me Ride
Aight I'm thinking about upgrading my car stereo like getting an amp, and stuff my question is which size speakers sound better in my trunk????

Comments

• some_dude
    some_dude Members Posts: 180
    edited January 2010
    drop a little more info

kind of car
    what are you trying to achieve
    estimated budget
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    08 impala, I just want some bump in my trunk and I'll say around 600-700
  • some_dude
    edited January 2010
    depending on what kind of sound you are shooting for, you can easily go 2 12 inch subs. You might be able to even cram 2 15's in there depending on trunk size and box requirements of the speakers.

dont skimp on the wiring part of your setup.

are you replacing all the speakers or just adding in subs? are you getting a new headunit or are you using an existing one?
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I was thinking two 12's also......yeah I just might replace all the speakers eventually I dont know how strong these factory speakers are.....is it better to get a new headunit or keep the other one?
  • some_dude
    edited January 2010
    Most of the time it's better to get a new head unit. Look for whatever options you want in the HU and make sure it has preouts on the back of it. you want the output to be around 2 volts. when looking to replace speakers concentrate on the fronts and your subs. Rear speakers are only used for fill if they are even in the system layout.

1. wiring
    - thick power and ground same gauge 2aw or 0aw.
    - ground max length 3 ft
    - use power distro block and a ground block
    - fuse at battery and fuses in the power disto block
    2. subs (something good)
    3. amp (again something decent)
    4. fronts
    5. sound deadening material
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    Word that's what's up....like as far brand name with the subs and amp which one would you prefer?
  • some_dude
    edited January 2010
    JL Audio, MB Quart, Kicker, Kenwood, pioneer, sony, Rockford fosgate, alpine all make subs. if you need to go cheap go rockford fosgate. make sure the box is built to the speaker, not something premade.

It is possible to make a cheaper system sound good, you just have to work a little harder. amp wise you have Rockford fosgate, JL audio, sony, alpine, kenwood, pioneer. Most have different series so you should be able to stay in budget. Better to be overpowered than under powered on the amps.
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    Aight thanks for the info
  • vageneral08
    edited April 2011
    Uppin this old ass thread....yo what would be better for the system....all the same name brand connected to together like everything jvc or pioneer....or have a few different name brands connect together like an amp made by jl audio and some kicker subwoofers???????