Atheists Trusted As Much As ....... Rapists. According to a recent study.

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Not necessarily....Gnosticism just refers to knowledge of ? 's existence..."

An agnostic is someone who claims to not know of a gods existance. If you claim to not know, you are an atheist technically because you have no belief of the ? .
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Why would an atheist care what someone believes about them?
    Atheist care what other people think about them because...

Most atheist are humans with emotions.

What other people think about you severely affect what jobs you can get, the amount of money you make, who you date, etc.

Most people don't like when lies are told about them.

etc.

atheism implies a certain amount of implicit nihilism being that in the end everything inevitably ends in nothingness.
    Atheism is simply the belief in no ? , there is no implied nihilism, just because someone doesn't believe in a ? or afterlife (technically you can be atheist and still believe in an afterlife) does not mean they don't enjoy life.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Agnosticism is a stance between belief and knowledge. To know something and to believe something are two different things. An agnostic simply holds that for some questions one can not have knowledge of the answer. It has no effect on what they believe the answer to be. The existence of ? is the most common question this term is applied too, however you could apply it to a football game. 2 evenly matched team are about to play a game. Since I can not predict the future I can not know which team will win. They are evenly matched so I can not infer knowledge of the outcome based on their strengths and weaknesses. I can believe either team will win but I can not claim knowledge that one will win.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Agnosticism is a lack of belief, which by definition (when referring to gods) is atheism. There are different types of atheists. Strong and weak.
  • whar67
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Agnosticism is a lack of belief, which by definition (when referring to gods) is atheism. There are different types of atheists. Strong and weak.

ag·nos·tic [ag-nos-tik]
    noun
    1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as ? , and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
    2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
    3. a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

Agnosticism has nothing to do with an absence of belief.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    What's weird is I'd personally take an Athiest over the over-zealous, conspiracy theorizing, hypocritical, 'spiritual'-type that hates on the Bible most of all religious texts, but still picks and chooses parts of the Bible to accept like a restaurant menu.
  • PPLSIntiative
    PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Lambent wrote: »
    Atheist care what other people think about them because...

Most atheist are humans with emotions.

What other people think about you severely affect what jobs you can get, the amount of money you make, who you date, etc.

Most people don't like when lies are told about them.

etc.

Atheism is simply the belief in no ? , there is no implied nihilism, just because someone doesn't believe in a ? or afterlife (technically you can be atheist and still believe in an afterlife) does not mean they don't enjoy life.

It is a belief in nonbelief. Perhaps more clearly it is a system that hinges on the rejection of all things unquantifiable to the physical mind. Is this more correct?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It is a belief in nonbelief. Perhaps more clearly it is a system that hinges on the rejection of all things unquantifiable to the physical mind. Is this more correct?
    No, atheists can believe in anything other than gods/deities, "supernatural" or otherwise.

The underlined is actually metaphysical naturalism.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Why would an atheist care what someone believes about them? atheism implies a certain amount of implicit nihilism being that in the end everything inevitably ends in nothingness.

Wrong. Why are you assuming cosmic authoritarianism is the only escape from nihilism?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    agnostic is a type of atheist
    no, this is not how atheism works
    whar67 wrote: »
    I am an agnostic atheist.
    this doesn't actually work
    If you claim to not know, you are an atheist technically because you have no belief of the ? .
    ...no, this is not how atheism works
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    to be honest i dont trust religious people or atheists. whatever ideological flag they wave most people nowadays tend to be narcissistic sociopaths of varying degrees.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    ag·nos·tic [ag-nos-tik]
    3. a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

Agnosticism has nothing to do with an absence of belief.

Two opposing sides are belief and non belief. If you dont believe in a ? , you're an atheist, regardless
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Two opposing sides are belief and non belief. If you dont believe in a ? , you're an atheist, regardless
    There is also the neutral position.

If someone asked me whether or not I thought Taylor Swift was a good artist, I'd say "I don't know." since I never have listened (and never will listen) to any of her music. Therefore, I'd neither think she is a good or a bad artist; I simply would not know, she may be good, or she may not be.

This neutral position is also the "agnostic" position.

So if someone says "I don't whether or not gods exist, but I think they might."; they're agnostic.
  • whar67
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Acknowledging that no amount of evidence can reduce the possibility of ? to zero I am agnostic. However given the absence of evidence supporting ? I find no reason to believe in its existence. Most atheist would be considered agnostic.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    "Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD." Isaiah 26:10
  • janklow
    edited December 2011
    Options
    as has been stated already, there is a third option, which is the entire point of being agnostic.
    ag·nos·tic
    : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as ? ) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of ? or a ?
    athe·ist
    : one who believes that there is no deity

note that the atheist BELIEVES there is no deity. the agnostic does not believe such a position is correct.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The point is that nobody in the English speaking world really doesn't know their own ? opinion on whether there's a ? or not.

"Do you think ? exists?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know what your own brain thinks about that particular question?"

"......."
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The point is that nobody in the English speaking world really doesn't know their own ? opinion on whether there's a ? or not.

"Do you think ? exists?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know what your own brain thinks about that particular question?"

"......."
    Shots fired at agnostics?
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    An agnostic is someone who claims to not know of a gods existance. If you claim to not know, you are an atheist technically because you have no belief of the ? .

Um no....did you not read the examples i listed above? Ok maybe this will help some you who wrongfully believe you can't be an agnostic and be a Christian or atheist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism "An agnostic theist believes the proposition at least one deity exists is true, but regards the truth or falsehood of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable. The agnostic theist may also or alternatively be agnostic regarding the properties of the ? (s) they believe in.[1]" This really isn't that hard to understand.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Okay I see where ya'll are comin from but this is how I see it...

Theist Believe in ? 's existance
    Agnostic Fail to believe in ? 's existence
    Atheist Believe in ? 's nonexistence

The middle being the agnostic. The upper, theist; and lower, atheist
    Both the middle and the lower are non-theists, which we can just go ahead and box up as atheists, the agnostic being a "weak" atheist.

If we take Agnostic as not knowing, it's kind of pointless because nobody truly, concretely KNOWS whether some kind of ? exists or not. We either believe or fail to believe. Nobody KNEW an atom could be split until it was actually done
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Passage taken from book, Atheism Explained, David Ramsay Steele:

"So there are three types of non-believer in something:
    1. The agnostic, who refuses to render a verdict on whether that thing exists.
    2. Someone who denies the existence of the thing, but does not believe that the thing's non-existence can be conclusively demonstrated.
    3. Someone who denies the existence of the thing and believes that its non-existence can be conclusively demonstated. (When applied to the ? question, this third kind of non-believer is called a 'disproof atheist'.)"

...."Agnostic is a word deliberately invented by T.H. Huxley in 1869 to refer to anyone who, like Huxley himself, has no belief in ? but was not prepared to deny ? 's existence. Prior to that date, all 'agnostics' had been recognized as atheists."
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Very ironic study considering the Pope has protected pedophiles his entire life. And yet he is adored by millions of religious people around the world LOL. I'm not atheist but I find this study a prime example of why humans are a lost species.
  • janklow
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Both the middle and the lower are non-theists, which we can just go ahead and box up as atheists, the agnostic being a "weak" atheist.
    we CANNOT do this, because agnostic and atheist do not mean the same thing.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    we CANNOT do this, because agnostic and atheist do not mean the same thing.

When it comes to ? (s) they are two forms of non belief.

Again,
    Passage taken from book, Atheism Explained, David Ramsay Steele:

"So there are three types of non-believer in something:
    1. The agnostic, who refuses to render a verdict on whether that thing exists.
    2. Someone who denies the existence of the thing, but does not believe that the thing's non-existence can be conclusively demonstrated.
    3. Someone who denies the existence of the thing and believes that its non-existence can be conclusively demonstated. (When applied to the ? question, this third kind of non-believer is called a 'disproof atheist'.)"

...."Agnostic is a word deliberately invented by T.H. Huxley in 1869 to refer to anyone who, like Huxley himself, has no belief in ? but was not prepared to deny ? 's existence. Prior to that date, all 'agnostics' had been recognized as atheists."
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Okay I see where ya'll are comin from but this is how I see it...

Theist Believe in ? 's existance
    Agnostic Fail to believe in ? 's existence
    Atheist Believe in ? 's nonexistence

The middle being the agnostic. The upper, theist; and lower, atheist

If we take Agnostic as not knowing, it's kind of pointless because nobody truly, concretely KNOWS whether some kind of ? exists or not. We either believe or fail to believe. Nobody KNEW an atom could be split until it was actually done

What you just described is called weak and strong atheism.... agnosticism has NOTHING to do with belief.