Lifting weights vs cardio?

Ishi
Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Weight Room
Which one is better for losing weight ? I've set a goal for myself of 6-7 months to drop 20 more pounds.(To be at 182-184ish pounds 202-204 atm)

Right now I'm running 3 times a week and lifting weights twice a week should i take out some cardio and lift more weights or the other way around?

Comments

• longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Losing weight is more about caloric intake. Consume 500 or so less calories that your body needs to maintain your current weight. Adding cardio and weights to the equation just adds to it. Have a good source of protein, a slow digesting carbs, and a good sort of fat, and you should be good.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited December 2011
    Keep doing both, and stay consistent but don't do the same routine every week. Bike, run, rollerblade, switch up your weight routines, and as far as diet stay away from the bad carbs and eat lean meats and vegetables together.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    1 Lifting weights is KING.

2 Nutrition is QUEEN.

3. Cardio is PRINCE.

in terms of importance of whatever goal you is trying to do playboy.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Unless your maintaining you can't do one without the other. Your weight training (some may have a different opinion) is light weight high rep. The other way to look at it is muscle helps burn fat faster so lift heavier. Either way props on getting started.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    For me, it is cardio, bodyweight exercises and caloric intake. I mostly did bodyweight exercises while in the losing process. I lost 50 pounds in 4 months, while maintaining all of my muscle (I kept measurements).
  • Austinjon
    Austinjon Members Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Hello
    For cardio patient ETT exercise is the best to lose the weight,me is suffer for the last 2 years and join the medical center to do this exercise,with this do't take any caloric things which disturb your weight.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited December 2011

2 Nutrition is QUEEN.

3. Cardio is PRINCE.

I'd flip nutrition and lifting.

Nutrition is more important than anything. Cuz if you have a 500 calorie a day deficit and do nothing you'll still lose weight. All that other ? is just extra to lose weight faster and keep ya body game right.
  • DaleTHEEWHVLE
    DaleTHEEWHVLE Members Posts: 8
    stick to cardio and a lean nutrition. probably start lifting when your at your comfortable weight.
  • purplecitybyrdg
    purplecitybyrdg Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    1. Nutrition...you can lift/run all you want but if your diet is jacked...no results
    2. Strenght/Resistance training is better than just running at the same pace for long or short distances...your body needs to be shocked
    3.Cardio...with intervals of high and low intensity
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 Nutrition is QUEEN.

3. Cardio is PRINCE.

I'd say nutrition is number 1 with weights being numbet 2
  • Ishi
    Super old thread. I'm 156 right now. I got heavy on that weight game/running/biking(Mostly biking)
  • Ishi
    Pruple and Rodriguez hit it on the dot though. Changing your diet for good is what will give better results and keep them.