Alright, Essence, grill me. What albums have I overlooked this year?

twentyfivelighters
twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
The Wonder Years
Elmatic
Setbacks
Section.80
R.E.K.S.
Random Axe
Charity Starts At Home
Cats & Dogs
Thuggin' EP
Oneirology
Before I Awoke
Return of 4Eva

So as the end of the year is near, which great albums did I overlook? Was that NoYork any good? Hm. Can't really think of any I may have missed, but that's why I am asking!

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I like the thread idea, The Essence Album of the Year thread that will drop on Wednesday should really fill in the blanks, but as a pre-Album of the Year thread, these are the ones I think you've missed, although you seem to be pretty much on it as much as most here :tu

Trek Life - Wouldn't Change Nothing

LA based Trek Life was blessed with production from Oddissee and Apollo Brown for this Mello Music Group effort. The remix album of the previously released 'Everything Changed Nothing,' features production from Audible Doctor who produced 'Battle Cry' for Joel Ortiz. I feel the production was outstanding all the way through on this release (as most Mello Music Group releases seem to be), it's one of those albums that can be in the playlist and continue to play all the way through.

On another note, as time goes on, it's really apparent that Mello Music Group is a great label with great producers and talents coming through - with an endless list of talents including Finale, Kenn Starr, Has-Lo, Boog Brown, Diamond District, The Left, Declaime, Hassaan Mackey and more.

With tracks like 'As The World Turns', 'What it is' with production from Apollo Brown, So L.A. and the album-titled track, 'Wouldn't Change Nothing,' this release is deserving of at least a nomination for album of the year…

Torae - For the Record

You Ready? Is the question Torae asks on the hard hitting track from his 2011 effort, For The Record. Torae provides great rhymes over nice production from Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Diamond D and Large Professor; to those Torae labels "new legends," 9th Wonder, Khrysis, Fatin, Illmind, Eric G., Marco Polo and Nottz (producer list taken from UGHH). With a producer line up as nice as that, you can't really knit pick, 'this ? crazy'. Especially if you're into Torae's subject matter and old school style, can't really knock this release, although it's not my typical hip hop listen.

Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R (We Are Renegades)
    Lou Cypher wrote:
    Pharoah Monch has been around for quite some time, his albums are spread far apart from eachother, but not a single one has disappointed. Every album this man has put out is classic material to me. He's Phenomenal with his wordplay, the man made a whole song about being a bullet. hes a genius. W.A.R. was no disappointment. When i first heard the single Clap, i knew i was gonna have a new album in rotation for quite awhile, the production is great, Exile and Marco Polo have a track, as well as another great one from the always ill Diamond D. newbie (to me atleast) M-Phazes takes the production for most of the album and does a fantastic job at it. Every album Pharoah releases, there is a more evolved sound and he adapts to it greatly. WAR is another showing of that ability.

Nujabes - Spiritual State

A recent entry, but perhaps the greatest in this list. Spiritual State picks up where Nujabes life left us… and with perhaps the help of Uyama Hiroto, this posthumous release isn't far behind (if at all) Nujabes previous efforts. A stronger second half of the album seems to be the case given the first six or seven listens, but it doesn't change the fact that the album plays nicely throughout and is a real chilled out listen that takes you on a journey as only Nujabes could. THIS IS A MUST.

Median - The Sender

Median really showed off his skills with this release, the beat selection to the content, this was a true sleeper of 2011. Phonte stopped by a few times as well as Bahamadia, Rapsody and others. If there's anything that I could say that would be negative about the album, it'd be that the whole album is thorough, solid and great - but there's no outstanding track. A great release nonetheless.

Lushlife - No More Golden Days

I first heard Lushlife with Cassette City in 2009, when Traestar put me on to his latest release being released, I just had to get it! I bought it blind and was really impressed with what I got. Lushlife is one of the most underrated beatsmiths. An outstanding sleeper of 2011.

Atmosphere - The Family Sign
    Slug and Ant return for their most mature and ambitious effort yet, and this time they brought some friends along. The long running duo of Atmosphere is no longer, as the 2 have evolved into a full fledged band. With the band comes an evolution in sound, featuring crisp guitar, pounding guys, and a tempo more akin to southern rock than underground Hip Hop. But they make it work. Became showcases Slug at his allegory best while Sluggo may have not have written anything as emotionally hard hitting as The Last To Say. Sure, the bar hopping emo king Slug may be a thing of the past on this album, but Slug finds new footing in grasping storytelling and brooding rock melodies.

Apollo Brown - Clouds

Massively overlooked here in The Essence, yet deserving of its place alongside this years best, Apollo Brown's Clouds reaches instrumental heaven. The Left's producer who has been working on beats since '96, is only just beginning to break through as an emerging producer. Having had a very successful 2010 with the release of Gas Mask and The Reset, Apollo has stayed close to the boards all year, releasing not just Clouds, but a collaboration project with Haasan Mackay; entitled Daily Bread as well. Clouds showcases the creativity Apollo possesses, mixing old vocals and rhythms effortlessly. One moment we're in the 1930s awaiting World War II on the albums intro, 'Sound of Guns.' The next we're listening to a laid back drum pattern and we're on our way to a treat, particularly on 'Never In A Million Years,' which shines as one of the best beats the album has to offer. If Gas Mask-esque beats was what you were looking for though, see 'Drinking Life' for the daunting sirens and awakening samples. Tao Te Ching takes the reigns as the best this beat CD has to offer, although 'Imagination' comes close; this mellow beat followed by the trumpet sample is flawless. Apollo Brown is likely to bring some great releases over the coming year, he's certainly not dropped the baton yet.

The Roots - Undun (Depending on whether you just omitted this for it being a commercial release, it's incredible!!!)

I'll edit this post with reasons for the albums with missing descriptions :tu
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited December 2011
    Doomtree - No Kings

Crazy fast paced out there but UG beats. Great lyricism by the whole gang.

Grieves - Together/Apart

Very introspective and honest. Like a cross between his Rhymesayer labelmates Brother Ali and Slug. Great lyricism.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Doomtree - No Kings

Crazy fast paced out there but UG beats. Great lyricism by the whole gang.

Grieves - Together/Apart

Very introspective and honest. Like a cross between his Rhymesayer labelmates Brother Ali and Slug. Great lyricism.

Both that I haven't got round to yet, really can't wait to hear Doomtree's release!!!
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited December 2011
    Totally forgot about Clouds this year. Heard positive reviews from everyone I listened to. Gonna have to check it out.

And yes I didn't include The Roots, and I forgot about including W.A.R. Monch's album didn't appeal to me that well, and I will have to listen to Undun; heard it's crazy.

As for the rest, I will look into them, haven't heard of them. But hey, I love music and I'm always looking for something new and good. Thanks for the help, fellas.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    mood muzik 4.5
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Well Done - Action Bronson and Static Selektah,

If you can live with low quality, Blu's album Jesus was good. Better than NoYork anyway. just sounds like he recorded it in his bathroom.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Totally forgot about Clouds this year. Heard positive reviews from everyone I listened to. Gonna have to check it out.

And yes I didn't include The Roots, and I forgot about including W.A.R. Monch's album didn't appeal to me that well, and I will have to listen to Undun; heard it's crazy.

As for the rest, I will look into them, haven't heard of them. But hey, I love music and I'm always looking for something new and good. Thanks for the help, fellas.

Clouds was brilliantly produced, I've listened to that over his collab album, with Hassaan Mackay more, despite others saying that it's just as solid.

I think a lot of us overlooked W.A.R., I say that as I think most people will agree later on that it was a really solid release… it's on my 'Not to let it go just yet' list, as in, it's probably really nice and you're sleeping on it, Draft.

Undun is a must cop, if you have the spare cash. Seriously, brilliant album from start to finish… don't quite get how they do it, despite them being fully fledged musicians, growing by the year.

I really wanna check out that Statik Selektah, although I usually find he has a mix of outstanding and average tracks on his albums…

You got any mainstream ones that I've been sleeping on seeing as how you branch between the two? (One that has substance)?
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited December 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Clouds was brilliantly produced, I've listened to that over his collab album, with Hassaan Mackay more, despite others saying that it's just as solid.

I think a lot of us overlooked W.A.R., I say that as I think most people will agree later on that it was a really solid release… it's on my 'Not to let it go just yet' list, as in, it's probably really nice and you're sleeping on it, Draft.

Undun is a must cop, if you have the spare cash. Seriously, brilliant album from start to finish… don't quite get how they do it, despite them being fully fledged musicians, growing by the year.

I really wanna check out that Statik Selektah, although I usually find he has a mix of outstanding and average tracks on his albums…

You got any mainstream ones that I've been sleeping on seeing as how you branch between the two? (One that has substance)?

Haven't been checking for the mainstream that much in 2011. Really, the only one I can think of would be Killer Mike's Pl3dge. The first half of that album is flawless. I forgot about Statik Selektah's too, was wanting to compare that to 9th Wonder's latest album. I'll cop that Undun!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Haven't been checking for the mainstream that much in 2011. Really, the only one I can think of would be Killer Mike's Pl3dge. The first half of that album is flawless. I forgot about Statik Selektah's too, was wanting to compare that to 9th Wonder's latest album. I'll cop that Undun!

Can't say I have for the past six years or so… is a shame considering we all start out as fans of the mainstream.

I'll have to check out that Killer Mike then :tu Props.

You won't be disappointed, just had it on again, great album :tu
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited December 2011
    gotta agree with Killer Mike Pl3dge, Phonte is a must cop, and The Roots Undun is a must. my man just put me one to Statik. i feel that MOP's Sparta was solid.
  • supertitan
    supertitan Members Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    One's I haven't seen mentioned yet:
    Vakill - Armor of ?
    Pete Rock & Smif-N-Wessun - Monumental
    M.O.P. & Snowgoons - Sparta
    Outerspace - My Brother's Keeper
    Neek The Exotic & Large Professor - Still On The Hustle
    Tech N9ne - All 6's & 7's
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Violence Begets Violence
    Classified - Hand Shakes and Middle Fingers
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Coss - Before I Awoke
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Coss - Before I Awoke

He's got that one Lou! Lol You know if you're going to have two tracks for the Essence Playlist of the Year?!
  • stevenjx712
    stevenjx712 Members Posts: 37
    Meyhem Lauren - Self Induced Illness
    41 tracks, one of my favourties of the year
  • RuffDraft
    Meyhem Lauren - Self Induced Illness
    41 tracks, one of my favourties of the year

I'll check this out, props :tu
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭